What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All of the fake news, conservative, pro Trump websites (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Off the top of my head: 

1. World Net Daily 

2. Gateway Pundit 

3. Breitbart 

4. Infowars

5. PJ Media 

I’m quite sure I’m missing a few or several more. 

These websites peddle false news or misleading news every day of of the week. Like the President, they lie constantly. They’re completely disreputable.  And they’re widely read by conservatives. They are used as sources of information, including here. 

Is there a liberal counterpart to these? I have no idea; but I honestly can’t think of one. 

Redstate...RussiaToday....NYPost...Washington Examiner

Its interesting how often some will not even acknowledge something from CNN, or WashPost, or the NY Times because Trump labeled them fake...but will post and act as if those other sources are credible.

Off the top of my head: 

1. World Net Daily 

2. Gateway Pundit 

3. Breitbart 

4. Infowars

5. PJ Media 

These websites peddle false news or misleading news every day of of the week. Like the President, they lie constantly. They’re completely disreputable.  And they’re widely read by conservatives. They are used as sources of information, including here. 

Is there a liberal counterpart to these? I have no idea; but I honestly can’t think of one. 
Daily Kos?

I would include

OAN

FOX News

These sites are at the core of our division as a society. That people accept them as truthful is amazing.

True pundit is another one I sometime get confused with gateway pundit.

TP was responsible for the October surprise touted by Rudy, Mike Flynn, and Eric Prince a week before the election, and then carried by Breitbart.

If you're looking to compare, this chart I often post is pretty good https://www.adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart/

It's not gospel, but it's the answer to your question. 
Thank you. It’s a little hard for me to decipher on my cell phone, which is all I have at the moment. Hopefully I’ll have some time to examine this on a laptop later today or tomorrow. 

But I would point out that bias is not what I referring to. Of course there are sites with a liberal bias, like Daily Kos, Huffington Post, Media Matters, etc. But so far as I know those sites don’t engage in deliberate false reporting, which is what I am accusing the sites I specifically mentioned in the OP of doing. 

Daily Kos seems to be the most obvious one. I generally avoid MSNBC and CNN, the former because they seem to be just a reflection of Fox News.

Thank you. It’s a little hard for me to decipher on my cell phone, which is all I have at the moment. Hopefully I’ll have some time to examine this on a laptop later today or tomorrow. 

But I would point out that bias is not what I referring to. Of course there are sites with a liberal bias, like Daily Kos, Huffington Post, Media Matters, etc. But so far as I know those sites don’t engage in deliberate false reporting, which is what I am accusing the sites I specifically mentioned in the OP of doing. 
The media bias chart I linked measures two things. Left and Right Bias on the horizontal access. And on the vertical axis, it rates reliability. It's answering exactly your question. 

The media bias chart I linked measures two things. Left and Right Bias on the horizontal access. And on the vertical axis, it rates reliability. It's answering exactly your question. 
OK. as I wrote it doesn’t work when I try to open it on my phone. But when I get a chance I will try to look at later or tomorrow and comment. Thanks again for bringing this info to my attention.  

OK. as I wrote it doesn’t work when I try to open it on my phone. But when I get a chance I will try to look at later or tomorrow and comment. Thanks again for bringing this info to my attention.  
I expect you won't like the answer as the chart lists several sites about as far left as the sites you listed are right. And roughly as reliable. 

It's not an easy thing to clearly measure but most people I know think the chart is pretty good. 

I expect you won't like the answer as the chart lists several sites about as far left as the sites you listed are right. And roughly as reliable. 

It's not an easy thing to clearly measure but most people I know think the chart is pretty good. 
If that turns out to be true I will acknowledge it. But  you’re wrong about me not liking the answer. I always like to be better informed. This isn’t a game with me. If there are liberal sites that pull the same crap I want to know about it. I know about the conservative ones I mentioned, and they bother me because they’re obviously having a negative effect on our discourse. 

If that turns out to be true I will acknowledge it. But  you’re wrong about me not liking the answer. I always like to be better informed. This isn’t a game with me. If there are liberal sites that pull the same crap I want to know about it. I know about the conservative ones I mentioned, and they bother me because they’re obviously having a negative effect on our discourse. 
Yes. You're pretty misinformed if you think the sites you listed don't have similar counterparts on the left. It's not surprising though. Getting out of bubbles is difficult. We all can do better there. Especially me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. You're pretty misinformed if you think the sites you listed don't have similar counterparts on the left. It's not surprising though. Getting out of bubbles is difficult. 
I’m misinformed by a lot of stuff and I’m always happy to correct it. I’ll get back to you on this. Right now I’m hoping I’m well informed about Lamar Jackson and Nick Chubb. Money is on the line. 

Daily Kos seems to be the most obvious one. I generally avoid MSNBC and CNN, the former because they seem to be just a reflection of Fox News.
Isn't that basically a glorified message board though?  Do they have an editorial board or paid reporters?  (Maybe so and I'm just not up to speed?)

It's a great view IMO.  Very helpful.

Nothing on the left is quite as terrible as Gateway Pundit or Infowars, but the biggest difference between left and right is just how central the ones on the right are in driving narrative among right-wingers.  The PRESIDENT is aping their nonsense.

This discussion is interesting. "Bof sidez" is one of the easiest mocks out there.

We all like to think our side is good and it's just the other side that's off scale. 

True for some things. But I find lots of instances like this subject where people are surprised to see both sides actually similar on something. 

Again I can’t read it, but is it claiming that CNN is dishonest on an equal level with World Net Daily? 
No, not that bad. It's just outside the "Some reliability issues and/or extremism" box that most of the right wing sites fall well into.

I think CNN and Fox are the only two that split out the cable channel from the site. CNN.com is ranked really well, while FoxNews.com not so much.

I don’t doubt there are liberal sites that are the equivalent of the ones listed in the OP, but I’d be curious how the traffic compares. If there are equivalent sites I don’t think they are reaching nearly as many people

This discussion is interesting. "Bof sidez" is one of the easiest mocks out there.

We all like to think our side is good and it's just the other side that's off scale. 

True for some things. But I find lots of instances like this subject where people are surprised to see both sides actually similar on something. 
Take a good look at that chart Joe.  NOTHING in the top center is trusted on the right outside the financial press (Economist, WSJ, Financial Times, etc).

The main news sources on the right are all middle/right (fair opinion) or worse.  On your chart Mother Jones is more reliable than the mainstream right sources.  

It's not that there aren't crap outlets on both sides, it's that the left still trusts reliable, relatively neutral press.  The right does not.  That's the difference.

Isn't that basically a glorified message board though?  Do they have an editorial board or paid reporters?  (Maybe so and I'm just not up to speed?)
Yes, per wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Kos

Daily Kos (/koʊs/ KOHSS)[2] is a group blog and internet forum focused on the Democratic Party[3][4] and liberal American politics.[5][6][7][8] The site features a participatory political encyclopedia ("DKosopedia"), glossaries, and other content. It is sometimes considered an example of "netroots" activism.
Most of what DKOS posts are individual opinion diaries. However there are some news items and some non-partisan polling with Research 2000.

Take a good look at that chart Joe.  NOTHING in the top center is trusted on the right outside the financial press (Economist, WSJ, Financial Times, etc).

The main news sources on the right are all middle/right (fair opinion) or worse.  On your chart Mother Jones is more reliable than the mainstream right sources.  

It's not that there aren't crap outlets on both sides, it's that the left still trusts reliable, relatively neutral press.  The right does not.  That's the difference.
Thanks. For sure, it's not "my" chart. It's one I see linked to a lot that seems to be well researched. 

My "bof sidez" comment was to Tim who was surprised to see there were sites on the left similar to the sites he listed on the right. I see that quite a bit in real life. 

I don’t doubt there are liberal sites that are the equivalent of the ones listed in the OP, but I’d be curious how the traffic compares. If there are equivalent sites I don’t think they are reaching nearly as many people
Yes. I don't have any idea on traffic. That's not what was asked. 

I was just trying to answer the OP question: "Is there a liberal counterpart to these? I have no idea; but I honestly can’t think of one."

Thanks. For sure, it's not "my" chart. It's one I see linked to a lot that seems to be well researched. 

My "bof sidez" comment was to Tim who was surprised to see there were sites on the left similar to the sites he listed on the right. I see that quite a bit in real life. 
I didn't mean to suggest it was your chart, but you should claim it if you can.  It's well done.

I was trying to point out why I think it's so useful.  Virtually all of the places the Republican right gets its news are fair opinion or worse.  It's a huge problem.

When articles are linked in this forum, I am certain that the right leaning unreliable sites are extremely more common than the left leaning unreliable sites.  And this happens here in this liberal echo chamber.

Ive not seen much from any liberal posters here using a site comparable to those.  
https://www.adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart/
Sho's point is that he hasn't seen many stories posted from left-leaning versions of the sites that Tim mentioned.

For example, Gateway Pundit -- the source of the bogus "Joe Biden was paid $900K" story -- is rated around 28 for "Bias" and around 14 for "Reliability". Three other sites on Tim's list (WorldNetDaily, InfoWars and PJ Media) have similar ratings.

The only left-leaning sites in that range are Wonkette, Palmer Report, and OccupyDemocrats -- 3 sites that are rarely (if ever) sourced by posters here.

One exception, I suppose, would be Breitbart -- they are rated around 20 for bias and 25 for reliability. The closest equivalent on the left side of the spectrum would be DailyKos (~22/23), which is occasionally used as a source by left-leaning posters here. However, I would note that a Google search of Footballguys.com shows 24 hits for DailyKos compared to 254 hits for Breitbart.

Sho's point is that he hasn't seen many stories posted from left-leaning versions of the sites that Tim mentioned.

For example, Gateway Pundit -- the source of the bogus "Joe Biden was paid $900K" story -- is rated around 28 for "Bias" and around 14 for "Reliability". Three other sites on Tim's list (WorldNetDaily, InfoWars and PJ Media) have similar ratings.

The only left-leaning sites in that range are Wonkette, Palmer Report, and OccupyDemocrats -- 3 sites that are rarely (if ever) sourced by posters here.

One exception, I suppose, would be Breitbart -- they are rated around 20 for bias and 25 for reliability. The closest equivalent on the left side of the spectrum would be DailyKos (~22/23), which is occasionally used as a source by left-leaning posters here. However, I would note that a Google search of Footballguys.com shows 24 hits for DailyKos compared to 254 hits for Breitbart.
Yes...this was my point.

Off the top of my head: 

1. World Net Daily 

2. Gateway Pundit 

3. Breitbart 

4. Infowars

5. PJ Media 

Tim the problem isn’t the sites, it’s who they’re linking to.

Kos is fiercely progressive but does not using lying/misinformation as a journalistic tool.
On reliability, the chart mentioned has them in the category “Selective or Incomplete Story; Unfair Persuasion”.  I don’t go on there much but from what I’ve seen, they are best to be ignored.

What is the usage between the two sides? I have not heard of most of the things on the far left section, while I see things from the far right section posted daily here, on facebook, other places etc. There are probably 100x more people that get their news from the far right bottom corner than the far left bottom corner. 

What is the usage between the two sides? I have not heard of most of the things on the far left section, while I see things from the far right section posted daily here, on facebook, other places etc. There are probably 100x more people that get their news from the far right bottom corner than the far left bottom corner. 
I have no idea on the traffic. What makes you think the right side is 100x more popular than the left?

What? 100X more? Where do you come up with that?

I have no idea on the traffic. What makes you think the right side is 100x more popular than the left?

24 x 10 = 240. 

10x would be more accurate

Because I see them linked literally daily across numerous platforms, including this website. Maybe this is just me leaving in a bubble, but has anyone heard of Alternet, Counterpunch, or Palmer Report? I have never heard of them until looking at this chart, and I don't recall ever seeing anything linked back to them. The only one on the left below MSNBC I have even heard of is Daily KOS. Even looking at this chart, the location given to Breitbart and OAN is extremely generous. Maybe we need a media chart bias chart to know which media bias charts to trust  :tinfoilhat:

The left has sources like Ovcuoy Democrats, US Uncut, and Natural News which would rival those for inaccuracy and extreme bias.  IMHO, having strong bias and ignoring legitimate information which contradicts your worldview is as dangerous as outright lies. 

Users who are viewing this thread