What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did I cheat? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother said:
Longtime CBS league among friends.   Rules state you must start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 Flex.

I started  RB Singletary, Josh Jacobs and WRs: Hopkins, Boyd and Woods.   My flex was RB David Montgomery

I was brewing beer all morning and around 2:00 pm I noticed that Jacobs was inactive for his 4:25 game.    I had no other RB that was not locked so I attempted to move Montgomery from Flex to RB and start WR Christian Kirk at Flex.   Since Montgomery played on Thursday night  the app wouldn't let me switch him to RB.

So at this point CBS is saying I have an illegal starting lineup because I have only 1 RB and 2 Flex.  I feel this is a glitch in the software and I should be cool because I am in accordance with our league rule as my lineup has 2 RBs and 4 WRs which is totally legal.

What say you:  did I cheat?  It's no big deal because I am out of playoffs and the only thing on the line is $10 consolation prize in a game that I would have won even without Kirk.
No I would never think that this is cheating, but you learned a lesson that you put players that are questionable to play in the flex.  Thursday games can screw things up.

Hopefully the beer ended up great! 🍺

I had a guy in my CBS league tell me I should get a zero for the week because I had an illegal lineup for Thursday's game (no kicker) even though I added one on Friday. Drop/adds don't lock until 12:55 Sunday.  Has anyone else had issues with this?

I had a guy in my CBS league tell me I should get a zero for the week because I had an illegal lineup for Thursday's game (no kicker) even though I added one on Friday. Drop/adds don't lock until 12:55 Sunday.  Has anyone else had issues with this?
I think I found the root of your issue.  😛

Quit playing CBS a long time ago.  The interface and level of incompetence was much greater there even than Yahoo in my experience.

You need to always have 1-2 kickers on your roster in my CBS league, so this couldn't happen in my league. You could add one before 12:55 Sunday. 

No I would never think that this is cheating, but you learned a lesson that you put players that are questionable to play in the flex.  Thursday games can screw things up.

Hopefully the beer ended up great! 🍺
I learned this lesson few weeks ago with a surprise last-minute scratch, Robert Woods, who played Sunday night.

i didn't read through the thread. CBS has a way of setting each starting lineup spot that RB, WR, and FLEX are actually separate "positions." if you been on CBS for a long time then you probably already know this. if this was my league i'd reset your roster to when it was last "legal" to get you the points you should have had before the change or 0 if your commish is a dk. either would be justified.

that's a weird one. only time this should happen is if all of your starting lineup and transactions lock before the thursday game, which you already said that's not the case. sounds like a bug, commish should reset this for you.

that's a weird one. only time this should happen is if all of your starting lineup and transactions lock before the thursday game, which you already said that's not the case. sounds like a bug, commish should reset this for you.
I'm the commish, he said I should get a zero because I had an illegal lineup on Thursday (even though rosters don't lock). Same guy was upset the week before because in 15 years in the league he didn't realize he couldn't add a player after 12:55 on Sunday.

I'm the commish, he said I should get a zero because I had an illegal lineup on Thursday (even though rosters don't lock). Same guy was upset the week before because in 15 years in the league he didn't realize he couldn't add a player after 12:55 on Sunday.
there you have it, gotta love owners who play the "i didn't know" card yet make a claim based on "rules" that they didn't know existed. this is straight forward CBS error imo. i mean, i get where he's coming from, but ask him what he thinks "rosters lock at xxxx time" means and ask him to put in writing what he thinks the rule is around this situation. that should end the discussion.

If this was my league i'd reset your roster to when it was last "legal" to get you the points you should have had before the change or 0 if your commish is a dk. either would be justified.
I've played CBS in my main two leagues for 13 seasons. I am actually a little surprised that the software even allowed an illegal lineup. I thought it would simply block the swap to Kirk and make you keep your last legal lineup. Learned something in this thread today. 

I've played CBS in my main two leagues for 13 seasons. I am actually a little surprised that the software even allowed an illegal lineup. I thought it would simply block the swap to Kirk and make you keep your last legal lineup. Learned something in this thread today. 
He had to have done this before the Raiders game, at least 5 minutes before Jacobs locks in. Assuming the setting is 5 minutes before each player's game, you can swap out any player whose game hasn't started yet with any player on your bench whose game hasn't started yet. that rb/wr/flex positioning really depends on league setup and that part gets quite tricky.

He had to have done this before the Raiders game, at least 5 minutes before Jacobs locks in. Assuming the setting is 5 minutes before each player's game, you can swap out any player whose game hasn't started yet with any player on your bench whose game hasn't started yet. that rb/wr/flex positioning really depends on league setup and that part gets quite tricky.
The issue wasn't that Jacobs was locked in at the time I was trying to make him inactive.  The problem was that Montgomery was locked in at flex on Thursday.   I assumed (incorrectly) that CBS would allow me to move Montgomery to RB and put in a receiver that hadn't played yet into Flex.   To me it is odd that the software would consider Flex as a position. 

Did you have the option of grabbing a RB off the wire the minute you learned Jacobs was out?  If so, you cheated.

Your roster positions lock when each players' game kicks off, that's how it's supposed to work. 

You're just supposed to realize that you should never, ever use a flex spot on a Thursday player, because you get this exact problem: if you want to sub a WR for a RB, your flex is already locked.

Several times I've played against someone who used a Thursday player in his flex while one of his "starting" RBs or WRs was questionable, limiting his ability to change on Sunday. If the player ends up inactive, he's screwed, and that's just how it goes, tough cookies.

If there was anything on the line, you should have left Jacobs in the RB slot because you screwed up the flex thing. But if the enforcement is lax in your league, then that's a different story. 
Obviously I screwed up the flex thing but to me it was due to a limitation of the software.    Still as I said there was nothing on the line, I reverted the lineup back, and fined myself $10 for the illegal roster even though my roster as it stands is legal.  

I never saw this topic discussed so I thought it was worth mentioning, both to my league mates as well as FBG.

Obviously I screwed up the flex thing but to me it was due to a limitation of the software.    Still as I said there was nothing on the line, I reverted the lineup back, and fined myself $10 for the illegal roster even though my roster as it stands is legal.  

I never saw this topic discussed so I thought it was worth mentioning, both to my league mates as well as FBG.
Yeah it one of those things that there should be a rule ahead of time to clarify but you don't always anticipate those.  Fortunately it wasn't for the playoffs.  Good luck.

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. In your scenario you could still plug in either guy up until their game kicks off. In this particular instance the RB played on Thu but was listed in the flex spot. Once the game started the player was locked and happened to be locked into FLEX because that is where he was listed at kickoff of his game. It's pretty standard to lock a player and his position once that player's game starts.

The issue wasn't that Jacobs was locked in at the time I was trying to make him inactive.  The problem was that Montgomery was locked in at flex on Thursday.   I assumed (incorrectly) that CBS would allow me to move Montgomery to RB and put in a receiver that hadn't played yet into Flex.   To me it is odd that the software would consider Flex as a position. 
So if u left Jacobs in even though he was inactive, its a legal lineup, right?  So you just have a lineup with a RB who's gonna get you zero, which sucks, but not illegal.....I don't play on CBS....

should take the fine back, but i guess it's subjective. I mean, the week is still going till tonight's game anyway and you can't get more points out of this even if you tried.

it took us awhile to get use to this setup in CBS. right now our lineup spots are a combination of RB, WR-TE, RB-WR-TE, which are the actual position names where the latter two are the predefined "flex" positions. it's not pretty and probably something most people wouldn't even pay attention to until something like this happens.

though, props to many Sharks on this board (and thank u a few times), who actually point this out many times where I've seen posts that say "hey, put player xx in your flex instead of RB so you can swap him with a receiver last minute if he doesn't go." if you've seen this type of a post and didn't really know how it may impact you, now you know. "you" in this post is the general "you" for everyone, not the OP. :grad: that's why i think this isn't a CBS problem, it's a flex thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Godsbrother, I don't know if you ever answered this, and I don't use CBS software, but when you tried to do the swap, was your waiver wire open to pick up players that had not started their later games yet?  I'm pretty sure most leagues are set up this way. 

@Godsbrother, I don't know if you ever answered this, and I don't use CBS software, but when you tried to do the swap, was your waiver wire open to pick up players that had not started their later games yet?  I'm pretty sure most leagues are set up this way. 
No.  Once the 1:00 pm games start on Sunday you the WW is locked.

No.  Once the 1:00 pm games start on Sunday you the WW is locked.
I see.  I was saying you should've picked someone off the wire, but that wasn't an option.  Certainly something to try to change for next year in your league.  Waivers should 100% be open for players who haven't played yet.

just say you misinterpreted the rules
Well considering I wrote the rules I don't think that was the case.   The intention of the rule is to allow you to play either RB, WR, or TE as a flex.  It is how CBS implements FLEX that got me into trouble and that is my fault.

It's all cool though:  the original legal lineup was reverted, I fined myself for changing it, and it will become a matter to discuss after the season ends.

I'd say it wasn't a software functionality issue, it was an issue of the user understanding the software ;)
Every site I am aware of locks the player at their lineup position once that players game starts.  Flex is a lineup position.  So even though you can play two RB's and Montgomery is a RB once he locks at whatever position he is in (flex being a lineup position) so you cannot move him.  I would say he should stay in that spot.

I think you actions were fine and it is more of a software limitation.

They shouldn't let you remove a locked player from your line-up but they should allow you shift him to another position based on eligibility.

Every site I am aware of locks the player at their lineup position once that players game starts.  Flex is a lineup position.  So even though you can play two RB's and Montgomery is a RB once he locks at whatever position he is in (flex being a lineup position) so you cannot move him.  I would say he should stay in that spot.
Agree, frankly I can't believe there isn't universal agreeement on this.

Honestly thought there might be something fishy with this situation when you first posted it.

If rosters lock 5 mins before Sun games' kickoff, at this point of the season people in the league have had to have seen a team make moves through to gametime, flip an inactive player for another on the wire and fill their slot thus making their team legal, or both -- possibly the same team do both exactly as you did. With those rules, it seem like it would happen a few times, if not be common. So if someone is getting upset, there must be more to this story.

Then you posted this, which explains a lot.

Lemme guess, is he playing you this weekend/possibly facing you later in the playoffs? 

As long you operated within rules and what the site allows you to do without using your commish powers to act outside of that, I'd simply ignore the guy. 

I'd actually like to give a serious answer now that I know you're commish. You should follow the exact letter of every law and bring it up at your meeting. 

I'm serious now, they'll all listen to you in the future if you act more than above board on this. It's not worth the ten bucks or competitiveness (and you're talking to a guy who was altering his bye week lineup for maximum score) for that. 

Be cool, Fonzie, Joanie looks up to you.  
We can't let the bolded simply slip by without notice or comment. Now THAT is some seriously hardcore, cut-throat, paranoiac, just-over-the-border-of-insanity levels of competitiveness!

...scribbling furiously in my notepad to ensure I remember to do the exact thing next year in my league... 

I think you're letting the lack of functionality, or oversight, of the software design dictate your rules/thinking.  The intent of the flex is to provide roster flexibility.  Moving a player to another slot could be part of that flexibility.
Yes.  Flex, unlike RB, WR, TE, isn't a real football position it is just there to let you give some flexibility to your starting lineup.  The only strategy added by making Flex a locked position is "make sure you put your latest starting flex-eligible player at the flex. position" .  Seems kind of dumb to me but live and learn.  

The only strategy added by making Flex a locked position is "make sure you put your latest starting flex-eligible player at the flex. position" .  
its a starting roster spot. once a player plays in a roster spot... the roster spot is locked. why should flex be treated any differently than the other 8 or 9 roster spots? your LM could have chosen to not have a flex position but flex makes leagues more fun opens more trading possibilities etc... once a RB starts you cant swap in another RB in his place... flex is important as it makes managing your team easier vs. a rigid 2rb3wr setup. but it is ultimately just a starting roster position..... so  it's your job as manager to fully utilize the potential of the flex by making sure early game players fill in at their actual position. the only benefit to letting flex be treated the way you people want it to be treated is to give bad managers a chance to redeem poor managing.

its a starting roster spot. once a player plays in a roster spot... the roster spot is locked. why should flex be treated any differently than the other 8 or 9 roster spots? your LM could have chosen to not have a flex position but flex makes leagues more fun opens more trading possibilities etc... once a RB starts you cant swap in another RB in his place... flex is important as it makes managing your team easier vs. a rigid 2rb3wr setup. but it is ultimately just a starting roster position..... so  it's your job as manager to fully utilize the potential of the flex by making sure early game players fill in at their actual position. the only benefit to letting flex be treated the way you people want it to be treated is to give bad managers a chance to redeem poor managing.
Because flex is not a real football position, it can be RB/WR or TE.

As I said the only strategy involved with locking flex is "make sure my flex player has the latest kickoff".  Now that I am aware that it is locked I'll do that but I don't it is adds any fun or deep thinking.  It is more of a PITA than anything.

Yes.  Flex, unlike RB, WR, TE, isn't a real football position it is just there to let you give some flexibility to your starting lineup.  The only strategy added by making Flex a locked position is "make sure you put your latest starting flex-eligible player at the flex. position" .  Seems kind of dumb to me but live and learn.  
FF isn't real football.  There are games you can play with rosters/lineups if you don't lock all lineup spots.  By locking each lineup position (flex is a lineup position) you minimize grey areas and keep things as black and white as possible.  

I have never seen any league where lineup spots are not locked at kickoff of that players game.  This is not a new situation.  It is not a software limitation.  It is a cut and dry cut off that minimizes the possibility of shenanigans. 

As iamkoza mentioned I am surprised this isn't obvious and that there is so much discussion.  It should be cut and dry.

As I said the only strategy involved with locking flex is "make sure my flex player has the latest kickoff".  Now that I am aware that it is locked I'll do that but I don't it is adds any fun or deep thinking.  It is more of a PITA than anything.
This. 

It kind of looks weird to put Henry, Barkley, McCaffrey, etc at flex and start Scarborough as your RB, but that's what you do if the Lions play Thursday.

FF isn't real football.  There are games you can play with rosters/lineups if you don't lock all lineup spots.  By locking each lineup position (flex is a lineup position) you minimize grey areas and keep things as black and white as possible.  

I have never seen any league where lineup spots are not locked at kickoff of that players game.  This is not a new situation.  It is not a software limitation.  It is a cut and dry cut off that minimizes the possibility of shenanigans. 

As iamkoza mentioned I am surprised this isn't obvious and that there is so much discussion.  It should be cut and dry.
Of course FF isn't real football but the definition of the flex is RB/WR/TE.  

I wasn't trying to "play games".  I was only trying to swap a RB that was in flex to the RB position (afterall he IS a RB) so I could move a WR to flex (which is a valid flex position).   

I think we're going around and around on this.  I understand what's going on but think it is dumb, that's all.

I am commish in my league and have a rule that teams must start a full roster.  GTD are hardest. Playing BYE week or IR players or player that have been out for weeks etc or longer term is BS  Tricky when in today's NFL vs say 10yrs ago. When the week is THU-MON. WW locked until WED.    I have a policy that ANY owner that wants to POST LINEUP preferences  in advance of KICK OFFs is acceptable.  It must be text/times stamped yadda yadda.  I do this for all players and try to prevent issues when I can by reviewing lineups/matchups.  YOUR RB is D.  You'll need a QB for week 10 all of yours have a BYE... When I can I try to edit roster of "busy, absent' type owners mid week for upcoming games if a player is rules out etc and in their starting lineup I will move them to the bench. OR I will move Q players to one of the 3 flex spots...thus allowing more options for replacement.    In week 12 I have to replace a player with MNF Willie Snead vs a team in contention. He didn't think I should.  BUT it's how I had been doing it all season.  Snead had two TDs . That team still lost and I thank the other owner for winning regardless.     THE REASON it's important to be consistent/transparent is that....screwing up can impact playoffs and outcomes. IF  Team A forgets to set line-up against TEAM B...it could have an impact on TEAM C...because they may now win or lose points tie breaker for playoffs or get a different draft pick for next season.  INACTION still impacts everyone. 

FOR GTD going into 2020 we're probably going to correct the rule that if you don't post line-up preferences (HEY if  ___RB can't go....I'd like to start ___ or ____ or ___ in that order)  This post works for any players who haven't had kick off yet.  So if you had a bench player on THUR. and post FRIDAY  you're SOL  if an OUT player is in your line-up and there's no post...if it was a GTD...they're staying in your lineup.     Logical outcome:  If your QB starter in real football goes out... you put in a SUB....if you have reserve players on your bench. It's reasonable that you'd insert next best choice.   IF lieu of a post... (We're in YAHOO!)  we go off Yahoo projections because it creates a script to follow.  Only the manager can of the team can change the order...if Guice was projected to score 6.7pts but goes for 30....and Mostert was projected for 7 pts and goes for 4pts. Mostert is inserted into lineup by commissioner unless otherwise instructed. 

Your mistake was not managing your team before kick off which is normal.  AND if you're willing to apply a rule to your team's detriment at the benefit of the league and use full transparency  that's awesome as commissioner.  AND if you can apply rules consistently... I think it will earn you benefit of the doubt so when you have to make a judgment call you're not upsetting as many people.     AND if you weren't commish and complained or similar,  the commish could say...hey it's your own fault.   The more proactive you are or can be I believe helps minimize league issues. 

For what it’s worth, this “locked in at flex” issue is elegantly resolved with MFL’s antiquated interface.  There is no “flex” position as such, just variable numbers of players at each position that can be started up to a maximum total.  So you check off the appropriate number of RBs and WRs you want.  They lock when they kick off.  But you don’t lock yourself in as to what your flex is until you’ve already started active players up to the position limit.

Been a while since I had to deal with the “don’t put early players at flex” issue.  Other league management sites should consider this approach.

Even this "strategy" is necessitated by software limitations. The purpose of the flex is to field teams with varying roster composition.  Moving a player to/from flex should NOT be an issue.  Bottom line, you're still fielding a team compliant with your starting requirements.

People act like you're taking them completely out of your line-up.  Yes, it gives other owners the flexibility to deal with emergent issues.  So what?  Every owner in the league would have the same rights.

Arodin said:
For what it’s worth, this “locked in at flex” issue is elegantly resolved with MFL’s antiquated interface.  There is no “flex” position as such, just variable numbers of players at each position that can be started up to a maximum total.  So you check off the appropriate number of RBs and WRs you want.  They lock when they kick off.  But you don’t lock yourself in as to what your flex is until you’ve already started active players up to the position limit.

Been a while since I had to deal with the “don’t put early players at flex” issue.  Other league management sites should consider this approach.
Agreed.  I don't get why there is even a "FLEX" position.  The software shouldn't care as long as my starting lineup complies with the correct format.  Actually it might be the way I have CBS configured, i'll look into it over the holidays after the season is over

Agreed.  I don't get why there is even a "FLEX" position.  The software shouldn't care as long as my starting lineup complies with the correct format.  Actually it might be the way I have CBS configured, i'll look into it over the holidays after the season is over
Pretty sure that's just how CBS does it.  Would love to get off it, but too many other owners want to stay on it simply because "that's what we've always used".

Longtime CBS league among friends.   Rules state you must start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 Flex.

I started  RB Singletary, Josh Jacobs and WRs: Hopkins, Boyd and Woods.   My flex was RB David Montgomery

I was brewing beer all morning and around 2:00 pm I noticed that Jacobs was inactive for his 4:25 game.    I had no other RB that was not locked so I attempted to move Montgomery from Flex to RB and start WR Christian Kirk at Flex.   Since Montgomery played on Thursday night  the app wouldn't let me switch him to RB.

So at this point CBS is saying I have an illegal starting lineup because I have only 1 RB and 2 Flex.  I feel this is a glitch in the software and I should be cool because I am in accordance with our league rule as my lineup has 2 RBs and 4 WRs which is totally legal.

What say you:  did I cheat?  It's no big deal because I am out of playoffs and the only thing on the line is $10 consolation prize in a game that I would have won even without Kirk.
My opinion: if you burn your flex on a Thursday that’s on you. Lesson learned- make your flex your last player at the position to kick off. You should have eaten a 0 or been forced to pick up a rb with a late kickoff to plug in.

Users who are viewing this thread