What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (1 Viewer)

But does that ever actually happen?   I rarely to never watch any of these so I can't speak on them personally, but the reviews are generally terrible.  What are some examples where movie reboots (or remakes, I don't know the difference) worked to advance the story to new and exciting areas and received good reviews from fans and critics?  

I know this isn't the consensus but I think the Star Wars franchise cheapened itself by vomiting up all these sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.  To me, the original movies were masterpieces that helped shape the fabric of my childhood.  Everything that I've seen from 2000 forward related to Star Wars has been lackluster (Force Awakens) to just plain bad (Phantom Menace).  Why is there such an urge to try and recreate the magic when it's virtually impossible to top or even par out with the originals?  

And with Netflix and HBO and other services putting out fresh and original content, I can't envision myself ever devoting the time to watch something stale and unoriginal.  

GET OFF MY LAWN WIFE'S FLOWERBEDS AND GARDENS THAT SHE PUT IN BECAUSE SHE RIPPED OUT MOST OF MY FRONT LAWN!!!!!!!
Probably has to do with money and hooking a new generation. Disney isn’t making a dime off a bunch of boomers sitting at home talking about how much they liked a movie 40 years ago. 

But does that ever actually happen?   I rarely to never watch any of these so I can't speak on them personally, but the reviews are generally terrible.  What are some examples where movie reboots (or remakes, I don't know the difference) worked to advance the story to new and exciting areas and received good reviews from fans and critics?  

I know this isn't the consensus but I think the Star Wars franchise cheapened itself by vomiting up all these sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.  To me, the original movies were masterpieces that helped shape the fabric of my childhood.  Everything that I've seen from 2000 forward related to Star Wars has been lackluster (Force Awakens) to just plain bad (Phantom Menace).  Why is there such an urge to try and recreate the magic when it's virtually impossible to top or even par out with the originals?  

And with Netflix and HBO and other services putting out fresh and original content, I can't envision myself ever devoting the time to watch something stale and unoriginal.  

GET OFF MY LAWN WIFE'S FLOWERBEDS AND GARDENS THAT SHE PUT IN BECAUSE SHE RIPPED OUT MOST OF MY FRONT LAWN!!!!!!!
You're not wrong. Are you looking for an answer to the bold that isn't money?  Star Wars cheapened itself by greatly enriching Disney, and they'll take that tradeoff every day of the week and twice on Soul-Selling Sundays.

And though there was certainly room for improvement, I actually kinda liked Rogue One.

The prequels, for better or worse, did advance the story and added to the universe in a positive way. We had a ton of new characters, places and stories generated from them. The Clone Wars show and the movies themselves IMO we're good to great additions to the Star Wars universe. It expanded the Galaxy far far away that we knew and loved in exciting and interesting ways IMO. That's an example of making a sequel/prequel that adds to the universe that was already built. 

The trend where studios want the quick rehash of the old story with new characters is what most of us are opposed to. 

This Ghostbusters movie is a proper sequel from the looks of it. Remains to be seen how good it is but it looks promising. GB2016 was just a remake of the original with women instead of men and just an insulting amount of cringe comedy and dance numbers. That's the main reason it bombed. It tried to rewrite history instead of adding to it.

How come everybody hated Jar Jar Binks but they love Baby Yoda?  I can't figure these things out.
Small things with big eyes and ears are cute. 

Jar jar was supposed to be a clown for kids (or a villain masked as a buffoon if you believe the secret Lucas ideas that he abandoned). He was obnoxious to be laughed at. Most found him more annoying than that though.

Small things with big eyes and ears are cute. 

Jar jar was supposed to be a clown for kids (or a villain masked as a buffoon if you believe the secret Lucas ideas that he abandoned). He was obnoxious to be laughed at. Most found him more annoying than that though.
Yes.  He was supposed to be trustworthy, but easily influenced by smarter people.  And while Lucas accomplished that goal, he did it with a sledgehammer instead of with white gloves.  But Lucas was never a great writer.  

The prequels, for better or worse, did advance the story and added to the universe in a positive way. We had a ton of new characters, places and stories generated from them. The Clone Wars show and the movies themselves IMO we're good to great additions to the Star Wars universe. It expanded the Galaxy far far away that we knew and loved in exciting and interesting ways IMO. That's an example of making a sequel/prequel that adds to the universe that was already built. 

The trend where studios want the quick rehash of the old story with new characters is what most of us are opposed to. 

This Ghostbusters movie is a proper sequel from the looks of it. Remains to be seen how good it is but it looks promising. GB2016 was just a remake of the original with women instead of men and just an insulting amount of cringe comedy and dance numbers. That's the main reason it bombed. It tried to rewrite history instead of adding to it.
The prequels could have been combined into 2 passable movies if you cut the trade federation, Jar-Jar, and, incidentally, the person the entire story was supposed to be about. 

That would have eliminated the god-awful love story, the horrendous dialogue that came with it, the pedo overtones, Hayden Christensen both sulking and permanently erect, and probably the worst scene in film history. Maybe getting rid of Padme accomplishes all that and you still get to see Vader born, but trading Natalie Portman for Christensen is a no go.

You'd still get the light saber duel with Maul, Ewan as Obi-Wan, Palpatine (who was genuinely good), Sith info, space battles, new planets, the elimination of the Jedi, and maybe a peak at a pod race sans Anakin ( @hagmania)

The prequels could have been combined into 2 passable movies if you cut the trade federation, Jar-Jar, and, incidentally, the person the entire story was supposed to be about. 

That would have eliminated the god-awful love story, the horrendous dialogue that came with it, the pedo overtones, Hayden Christensen both sulking and permanently erect, and probably the worst scene in film history. Maybe getting rid of Padme accomplishes all that and you still get to see Vader born, but trading Natalie Portman for Christensen is a no go.

You'd still get the light saber duel with Maul, Ewan as Obi-Wan, Palpatine (who was genuinely good), Sith info, space battles, new planets, the elimination of the Jedi, and maybe a peak at a pod race sans Anakin ( @hagmania)
Don't forget the cool anti-smoking message!  

I like the fact that somehow one of the scientists that saved the City of New York is reduced to working in a barn in the middle of nowhere, and the family has "forgotten" about what happened.  Then through discovery a next generation learning about this story and finding those pieces around.  Seems like a good start with some story there... then I get lost at bunch of kids picking his stuff up and running around hunting ghosts.

Pass.

Another re-boot/sequel/prequel from a dead franchise that no one is asking for (see: Terminator, Men in Black, The Shining, Rambo etc...).
I remember wanting a Ghostbusters 3 and hearing rumors of a third one long long ago. Bill Murray just decided against it. 

So IMDB has the entire cast listed (minus Ivan).  Not sure if that means cameos or if they have to list them if they show old clips of them.  But if it was the latter, I would think Ivan would be listed, too.  Something tells me they'll be in the movie.  I think this first trailer probably only showed scenes from probably the first 20 minutes of the film.  

Meh, the female Ghostbusters was fine. All of you people #####ing about it are the same ones drooling over comic books movies acting they’re some work of art.

:Scorsese:
Yea that movie was fine. It was a B-. All the complaining about it is hysterical. 

So IMDB has the entire cast listed (minus Ivan).  Not sure if that means cameos or if they have to list them if they show old clips of them.  But if it was the latter, I would think Ivan would be listed, too.  Something tells me they'll be in the movie.  I think this first trailer probably only showed scenes from probably the first 20 minutes of the film.  
I think you mean Harold Ramis, Egon. Ivan Reitman was the director. 

Meh, the female Ghostbusters was fine. All of you people #####ing about it are the same ones drooling over comic books movies acting they’re some work of art.

:Scorsese:
74% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Surprised by that.  From the reactions I remember, this thing was horrendous.  

People get all whiny because there were women in it. Was it the greatest movie ever, no.  Was it a decent comedy flick, sure. 
It wasn't a bad movie. It certainly was at least at Ghostbusters 2 levels of quality, and that had Bill Murray playing a guy who would rather be anywhere else than filming that movie.

She only ripped out most of your front lawn becuase your 85 year old neighbor lady wasn't always around when lawn maintenance needed to be done.

Caught the preview for this in the movie theater this past weekend, the wagons siren blaring in state of the art surround sound gave me chills. IN

Users who are viewing this thread