What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Jackson Anyone worried? Championship Week 16 (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
Short week. TNF. Physical game vs Bills last week who did OK with the run. Not saying you can ever bench Lamar but Jamal Adams and Gregg Williams scheme have a chance at giving the Ravens fits on a short week?

edit: Adams may not play, but the Ravens can get up big with Ingram. Ceiling capped? 32.61 FBG points in a 6 per TD league. I can see this as an easy way to rest Lamar on a short week running the ball. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Short week. TNF. Physical game vs Bills.  Not saying you can bench Lamar but Jamal Adams and Gregg Williams scheme have a chance at giving the Ravens fits?
To be terse:

No. If this is fantasy, I would highly recommend against being cute. Jets are missing 3 out 5 in their secondary, including Adams. They couldn't stop a Parkerless and Williamsless Miami. Miami attempted eight field goals.  

And Adams is out, almost definitely. He was downgraded to doubtful and out last week, it's hard to see an ankle coming back on that short notice.  

To be terse:

No. If this is fantasy, I would highly recommend against being cute. Jets are missing 3 out 5 in their secondary, including Adams. They couldn't stop a Parkerless and Williamsless Miami. Miami attempted eight field goals.  

And Adams is out, almost definitely. He was downgraded to doubtful and out last week, it's hard to see an ankle coming back on that short notice.  
I figured because of their record they could shut him down.  I guess what I’m saying is that perhaps his ceiling is capped because opponent and short week?  Might be a big Ingram game. 

Was shocked at 32.61 FBG points in a 6 point TD league just because it’s the Jets?

Was shocked at 32.61 FBG points in a 6 point TD league just because it’s the Jets?
Not being terse: I don't get where this comes from or what to compare it to, really. 1 pt. per 20, etc. 

But in general, no, that doesn't sound shocking at all. It sounds like 200 yards passing, 50 rushing, and three touchdowns any way combined.  

Not being terse: I don't get where this comes from or what to compare it to, really. 1 pt. per 20, etc. 

But in general, no, that doesn't sound shocking at all. It sounds like 200 yards passing, 50 rushing, and three touchdowns any way combined.  
Yeah 1 per 25 passing. I wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t run much if at all this week.  I guess anything can happen. I hate TNF.  

Biggest risk is it's a complete blowout and Harbaugh rests him in the third quarter.

Need the Jets to be competitive. Don't see it.

That said, this could be the game...in prime time...where he sets the world on fire and runs for some ridiculous long TD.

So yeah, no way in hell you don't start him.

Short week. TNF. Physical game vs Bills last week who did OK with the run. Not saying you can ever bench Lamar but Jamal Adams and Gregg Williams scheme have a chance at giving the Ravens fits on a short week?

edit: Adams may not play, but the Ravens can get up big with Ingram. Ceiling capped? 32.61 FBG points in a 6 per TD league. I can see this as an easy way to rest Lamar on a short week running the ball. 
:crazy:

Biggest risk is it's a complete blowout and Harbaugh rests him in the third quarter.

Need the Jets to be competitive. Don't see it.

That said, this could be the game...in prime time...where he sets the world on fire and runs for some ridiculous long TD.

So yeah, no way in hell you don't start him.
Could be all Ingram and cruise to victory. 

I don't think he's suggesting not starting him at all, just that there's some factors that might give him a below average fantasy week (per lamar standards).  I think OP makes some good points that his ceiling is slightly capped so he might not give you a monster game this week compared to others.

Yep, others are thinking it too:

Lamar Jackson (quad) was limited in the Ravens' walkthrough practice Monday.  Robert Griffin reportedly took all of the reps in the portion of practice open to the media. Jackson is tentatively still expected to suit up Thursday night against the Jets. Still, the injury could perhaps dissuade the Ravens from featuring the league's MVP frontrunner to too many unnecessary hits in a game that they're favored to win by 15.5 points.

Lamar Jackson (quad) was limited in the Ravens' walkthrough practice Monday.  Robert Griffin reportedly took all of the reps in the portion of practice open to the media. Jackson is tentatively still expected to suit up Thursday night against the Jets. Still, the injury could perhaps dissuade the Ravens from featuring the league's MVP frontrunner to too many unnecessary hits in a game that they're favored to win by 15.5 points.
😟

I don't think he's suggesting not starting him at all, just that there's some factors that might give him a below average fantasy week (per lamar standards).  I think OP makes some good points that his ceiling is slightly capped so he might not give you a monster game this week compared to others.
Yeah, I don't think the OP was outlandish, but with that many things going In his favor other than it being on a Thursday, you sort of take the chances about game script and other players on his team getting his touches every day of the week.  It's more of an any given day than a Thursday that game script might be bad or that another player will supersede your player's touches, etc.

Sure. But if Rotoworld had done their usual baseless speculation -- chalking it up to just adhering to the injury report and giving him a "day of rest" per their usual baseless speculation -- this isn't even a debate, really. 

You substitute Griffin for Lamar and this game immediately becomes a pick 'em. No way does Balt risk home field over that.  

Sure. But if Rotoworld had done their usual baseless speculation -- chalking it up to just adhering to the injury report and giving him a "day of rest" per their usual baseless speculation -- this isn't even a debate, really. 

You substitute Griffin for Lamar and this game immediately becomes a pick 'em. No way does Balt risk home field over that.  
Don't think they're suggesting he won't play, they even say he's expected to suit up on Thursday.  

But on a short week, if your team is up by 15 at the half, then I could very well see the Ravens pulling back on a few designed QB runs and drop backs.  He's a must start in fantasy but there's a good chance he puts up less than his average weekly fantasy points this week.

Sure but if we're discussing season long fantasy and you're not benching him, what do you do with this information?

But on a short week, if your team is up by 15 at the half, then I could very well see the Ravens pulling back on a few designed QB runs and drop backs.  He's a must start in fantasy but there's a good chance he puts up less than his average weekly fantasy points this week.
I totally agree. I always think about game script, too, so I wasn't coming down hard on the OP. I was more concentrating on the must-start aspect of it. Unless the quad is more serious than people know...

Sure but if we're discussing season long fantasy and you're not benching him, what do you do with this information?
Heh. That's a better response than my "I feel your pain" aspect of it. 

What else, tangibly, could one do with the information besides bench him? 

Well put. 

That said, it's a good thread topic if information continues to compile that he won't be used as he normally would.  

I totally agree. I always think about game script, too, so I wasn't coming down hard on the OP. I was more concentrating on the must-start aspect of it. Unless the quad is more serious than people know...

Ya I'm not sure the OP's reasoning for the question or why it matters if you're expecting a bit of a down week.   Maybe he could bench a player tonight in a '4 make playoffs' league which would give him a matchup vs Lamar rather than a matchup vs another really good team?   Maybe he just wants to know what to expect?

Or maybe he is considering a Winston or Wilson instead of Lamar, not sure. 

Or maybe he is considering a Winston or Wilson instead of Lamar, not sure. 
That's why wide berths should be granted here without condemnation, really. The OP has made valuable posts in the past and could be sussing something like that out. it's certainly feasible given the ADP of all of them.    

A little but what can I do? Start Sam Darnold or Eli over him? I ride or die with Lamar. 
Exactly.

If he's active he's in my lineup. Can you imagine seeing him blowup for 40 on your bench? 

Gotta think this quad thing is purely a day of rest thing today.

And honestly, even in a blowout, when have you ever seen a starting QB get pulled in the 3rd quarter? Not sure I've ever seen it.

Exactly.

If he's active he's in my lineup. Can you imagine seeing him blowup for 40 on your bench? 

Gotta think this quad thing is purely a day of rest thing today.

And honestly, even in a blowout, when have you ever seen a starting QB get pulled in the 3rd quarter? Not sure I've ever seen it.
And as we went through in the Lamar thread earlier in the year, if there's a blowout then it is likely because Lamar went wild. He got benched after 3 quarters twice this year. Those were 2 of the best fantasy games any QB has had all season.

pats, bills and niners couldn't really slow him him down.  weather was a big factor in the games against the niners and bills and he still was able to do what he needed to do when necessary.

as long as williams doesn't put a bounty on him, i don't see any cause for concern.

pats, bills and niners couldn't really slow him him down.  weather was a big factor in the games against the niners and bills and he still was able to do what he needed to do when necessary.

as long as williams doesn't put a bounty on him, i don't see any cause for concern.
Great call bud before the season started you called it that I would play lamar more than carson wentz.  I am in the final four.

Griffin was in a few plays vs Buffalo. Has that been the norm?

Well, for example you could play a guy with a higher ceiling at another position on your roster.  I’ve normally been playing consistent guys with safe floors but not a high ceiling.  I might go opposite this week as I don’t think Lamar is going to have as big of game as normal.  

Again, I’m not benching him, haven’t thought about it just trying to bring some conversation as I saw how highly predicted he was early in FBG predictions and it got me thinking on potential variables.  Plus the boards have been quiet all year. Kind of depressing in the SP. 

Weather was fine yesterday. Was at the game. The Bills D (on record) noticed he took his white sleeves off at halftime and played the run better, assuming he’d tuck the ball more After his 16 yard run I think he only has 24 yards on 10 carries.  3 TDs still valuable, more so in length per TD leagues as he had a 60+ yarder.  

Weather was fine yesterday. Was at the game. The Bills D (on record) noticed he took his white sleeves off at halftime and played the run better, assuming he’d tuck the ball more After his 16 yard run I think he only has 24 yards on 10 carries.  3 TDs still valuable, more so in length per TD leagues as he had a 60+ yarder.  
the wind wasn't wreaking havoc in the passing game?

the wind wasn't wreaking havoc in the passing game?
Not really. Bills kicker who has been poor all year was pretty good. I looked at the flags often.  Allen missed some high throws like he always does, couple drops.  I think both D played great and the Ravens Blitzing forced rushed throws and the Bills coverage allowed for many throw aways or Lamar scrambling with good containment in the pocket. 

Not really. Bills kicker who has been poor all year was pretty good. I looked at the flags often.  Allen missed some high throws like he always does, couple drops.  I think both D played great and the Ravens Blitzing forced rushed throws and the Bills coverage allowed for many throw aways or Lamar scrambling with good containment in the pocket. 
fair enough.  i got the sense from tv that it was quite tough to throw, which allowed the bills to cheat up just enough to help the contain.  thanks for the insight.

either way, he had a decent game against a tough opponent on the road, much better d than the Jets.

no way I will bench him, but I guess the hammy is something to watch.

fair enough.  i got the sense from tv that it was quite tough to throw, which allowed the bills to cheat up just enough to help the contain.  thanks for the insight.

either way, he had a decent game against a tough opponent on the road, much better d than the Jets.

no way I will bench him, but I guess the hammy is something to watch.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him stick it into Ingram’s belly just a bit more this week being a short week, coming off a few physical games, 15.5 point favorite. Very curious to see Dodd’s, Tremblay and Blooms breakdown tomorrow.  

Schefter officially making the quad injury a "story" during halftime tonight after Harbaugh listed Jackson day to day.

Now we have to hear about this for a couple days. 

Schefter officially making the quad injury a "story" during halftime tonight after Harbaugh listed Jackson day to day.

Now we have to hear about this for a couple days. 
Is Andrews on track to play? I guess Lamar plays but rarely runs which makes his floor and ceiling so high.  

Andrews is on track to play and as a Baltimore native I can't see Jackson not playing.  This game is huge for the Ravens as a win wins the AFC North and almost wraps up at least a bye.

I don't think Lamar will play conservatively.  He has the MVP within his sights.  He wants 3 big games to end the season and he'll risk his body to do it.

Like many I'm ride or Die with L-Jax this week, its my League's Final and my other option is D.Carr....EWWW.

I'll still gladly take a 20 spot if he plays less than a full game or conservative at all.

He loves those short TE passes and if he gets those off regularly he can get some good RZ looks to his big 3 TE's. 

Many thinking of grabbing RG3 just in case. Ugh. 

Think I'm picking up Trubisky just in case. He's slowly turned the corner, now running a lot more, and faces a GB D that's mediocre.

With the Ravens having essentially a 2 game lead over the Patriots and this being a short week, it would be smart of Harbaugh to rest Lamar, Marquise Brown, and Mark Andrews.  All 3 are gimpy.  A 2 week break would do them all a lot of good.  RGIII has had a good attitude while being on the bench for the last 2 years.  Let him toss the pigskin around for an afternoon.  63% chance they still win with Lamar on the bench.

I have Matt Ryan and also Tannehill is on the wire.  Would I be crazy to bench Lamar for either of those? Ryan no, SF matchup is a nightmare for them.  But Tannehill has been on fire.  I hate getting cute in the playoffs but this is tempting...

With the Ravens having essentially a 2 game lead over the Patriots and this being a short week, it would be smart of Harbaugh to rest Lamar, Marquise Brown, and Mark Andrews.  All 3 are gimpy.  A 2 week break would do them all a lot of good.  RGIII has had a good attitude while being on the bench for the last 2 years.  Let him toss the pigskin around for an afternoon.  63% chance they still win with Lamar on the bench.
On the flip side, after this Thursday's game, they'll have a good stretch of rest time.

I think you have to be nuts to bench Lamar unless a) He's ruled out, or b) There is enough evidence out there that he will be severely limited.

I'm going to have a plan B (Trubisky, Rivers, K. Allen, E. Manning all on the wire), but I'm hoping this is all overblown.

Having a hard time seeing hard nosed Harbaugh site players in prime time because they're a bit banged up. That's not the Ravens I know.

Users who are viewing this thread