What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Jackson Anyone worried? Championship Week 16 (1 Viewer)

Brees is my other option (look at me!) so I'm definitely wavering.  But if Jackson plays I think I've got to roll with him.  

Yep, others are thinking it too:

Lamar Jackson (quad) was limited in the Ravens' walkthrough practice Monday.  Robert Griffin reportedly took all of the reps in the portion of practice open to the media. Jackson is tentatively still expected to suit up Thursday night against the Jets. Still, the injury could perhaps dissuade the Ravens from featuring the league's MVP frontrunner to too many unnecessary hits in a game that they're favored to win by 15.5 points.
This is a definite concern, especially when Wentz is your backup.

With the Ravens having essentially a 2 game lead over the Patriots and this being a short week, it would be smart of Harbaugh to rest Lamar, Marquise Brown, and Mark Andrews.  All 3 are gimpy.  A 2 week break would do them all a lot of good.  RGIII has had a good attitude while being on the bench for the last 2 years.  Let him toss the pigskin around for an afternoon.  63% chance they still win with Lamar on the bench.
How about no. Playing against Jackson this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that the injury report came out essentially 25 hours after the end of the Bills game. If the Ravens weren't playing Thursday, they wouldn't have to put out a report until Wednesday and Lamar might not even be on it by that point. 

Weather looks good for Thursday. Low 30s but zero wind or precipitation.

I think the Ravens play their normal game, Lamar has another prime time showcase as he breaks Vick's season rushing record, and they get to celebrate clinching the AFC North at home. I'll put Lamar down for three total TDs (two passing), 175 yards through the air, and 65 on the ground

There's a small chance that the Ravens could have everything wrapped up by kickoff in week 16, so maybe that's a mild concern. But this week? Unless you've got another top five option, don't overthink it. 

Breaking News from start of Ravens' 3:30 practice today:

@jamisonhensley

3m

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson (quad injury) moved around well during Tuesday’s walkthrough. In taking snaps, he looked fine in his drop backs. This is a change from Monday, when Jackson walked gingerly entering the fieldhouse.

@jamisonhensley

3m

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson (quad injury) moved around well during Tuesday’s walkthrough. In taking snaps, he looked fine in his drop backs. This is a change from Monday, when Jackson walked gingerly entering the fieldhouse.
Fantastic. 

Don't want to waste a claim on Trubisky.

Don't forget that the injury report came out essentially 25 hours after the end of the Bills game. If the Ravens weren't playing Thursday, they wouldn't have to put out a report until Wednesday and Lamar might not even be on it by that point. 

Weather looks good for Thursday. Low 30s but zero wind or precipitation.

I think the Ravens play their normal game, Lamar has another prime time showcase as he breaks Vick's season rushing record, and they get to celebrate clinching the AFC North at home. 
Good points, not like this is a nothing game for either the team or LJ.

@jamisonhensley

3m

hopefully the ice tub did him well. 

Dodd’s has him at 12 carries for 75 yards on a short week. Tremblay 12 for 80. Often I wonder if projections are only based on that players averages. Lamar averages slightly over 78 yards a game.  So both FBGs are right in between that. It’s a short week and he’s banged up. Not to mention 15 point favorites.  

Bloom is usually more thought based with his rankings.  They are usually posted Wednesday nights.  

Seems odd to me. 

Short week. TNF. Physical game vs Bills last week who did OK with the run. Not saying you can ever bench Lamar but Jamal Adams and Gregg Williams scheme have a chance at giving the Ravens fits on a short week?

edit: Adams may not play, but the Ravens can get up big with Ingram. Ceiling capped? 32.61 FBG points in a 6 per TD league. I can see this as an easy way to rest Lamar on a short week running the ball. 
Heck no..if you have Jackson you are already playing with house money.

i think it's fair to be worried, but what options would you consider to be better than him (either on your roster or on the waiver wire)?
Oh I’m starting him in both leagues, it’s more so to be leery of a ceiling on TNF, banged up, Jets actually stop the run, big favorites, short week. 

Yep, I think he wants to stand in there tonight and prove he is a passer.
If that’s the case he’s very TD dependent on reaching a nice floor/good fantasy night.  I can’t see him running for 50-80 yards like FBGs expect.  This team has Super Bowl aspirations and they are 15 point favorites on a short week. That thigh bruise doesn’t need to take any hits. 

My worry as well.  If Ravens go up big and RBs have been punching it in, he could have his first pedestrian week at the worst time. 

Unless there is credible news that he will be limited, how can we sit him for a Tannehill or Fitz type QB? 

If that’s the case he’s very TD dependent on reaching a nice floor/good fantasy night.  I can’t see him running for 50-80 yards like FBGs expect.  This team has Super Bowl aspirations and they are 15 point favorites on a short week. That thigh bruise doesn’t need to take any hits. 
You realize he got hurt being a pocket passer right. His floor for rushing is 50 yards tonight.

He's going off tonight... the whole nation is watching... this is the most entertaining player in the NFL atm aka Must Watch TV

Guh.  Still torn as I think this game is over at the half. I might plug in Brees and hold my breath through the game tonight.  

Don't know how you could possibly bench him.

The downside could be a "floor" game...which may be 20 points. Cry me a river. If that's the case, you should still have a solid team to pick up the slack.

The upside is you miss a 40 burger. And if you miss the upside you actually get more downside because you'll slit your wrists around midnight eastern time tonight.

Guh.  Still torn as I think this game is over at the half. I might plug in Brees and hold my breath through the game tonight.  
If the game is over by half, it would be a score like 35-7.  If that's the case, Jackson should have 3-4 TDs.  So I don't understand your logic.

But if you do sit Jackson for Brees, best of luck to you.

Im guessing he doesn't run as much tonight.  He should be able to destroy the Jets just with passing and normal running game, and he's already banged up and takes too many risky hits as it is.

I think Jackson is a really interesting paradox... 

He's extremely valuable to his team, and they need him to stay healthy... However, his value is maximized when he runs more, putting himself at risk of injury. 

They really need to coach that he needs to limit the hits he takes.  Never take a hit on anything that isn't worth it.  Slide if you're not picking up the first on 3rd down, etc. 

You only have so many hits you can take in a career, and you want to be on the field without sustaining a short or medium term injury as well. 

Too often he's taking a hit while running on 1st and 2nd downs...  Maybe I'm just overly conservative. 

I drafted him as my backup to Watson. I've started him over Watson all year after week 1. This is the only real time I've wavered on starting him... 

I think Jackson is a really interesting paradox... 

He's extremely valuable to his team, and they need him to stay healthy... However, his value is maximized when he runs more, putting himself at risk of injury. 

They really need to coach that he needs to limit the hits he takes.  Never take a hit on anything that isn't worth it.  Slide if you're not picking up the first on 3rd down, etc. 

You only have so many hits you can take in a career, and you want to be on the field without sustaining a short or medium term injury as well. 

Too often he's taking a hit while running on 1st and 2nd downs...  Maybe I'm just overly conservative. 
Good post. I agree with this. Yes they have the bye to rest him but this seems like a spot where they don’t have to risk him.  I’m starting him and hoping the play action short touchdowns continue but no way he goes over his prop for rush yards. 

edit to add Vegas has it at 57.5 rush yards. FBG has two staff over 75 and Bloom at 50. 

I'm benching him most likely, but I also have Mahomes vs Denver as my alternate.

I think gameflow will limit his output.   Heavy running game, blowout, Ingram and gus edwards will get 10 plus carries to grind out the game

Plus....i think Baltimore D will have their way tonight.

I'm benching him most likely, but I also have Mahomes vs Denver as my alternate.

I think gameflow will limit his output.   Heavy running game, blowout, Ingram and gus edwards will get 10 plus carries to grind out the game

Plus....i think Baltimore D will have their way tonight.
No trading in your league ?

Users who are viewing this thread