What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever been to a yoga class? (1 Viewer)

If you haven't, have you ever tried yoga on your own?

• Yes

Votes: 38 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I've been to a class before

Votes: 49 37.7%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Have you ever participated in a yoga class?

Feel free to elaborate how/why you went if you have. What did you think of it? Do you regularly go?

If you haven't, have you ever been interested? Why haven't you?

I've never been, never tried, never had an interest but I also know very little about it. Just curious where most of you are re: yoga.

I've only been to one (on my honeymoon LOL) and I've been meaning to go to classes on the regular for many years now.  My parents even got me a gift certificate to a local studio, just haven't used it.

I'm very interested.

Wife goes multiple times a week usually.  

Voted no, but so many modern training techniques incorporate very fundamental levels of yoga that you've done it even if you don't know it, so voted yes for the second.  

I went once a few months ago. " Warm Yoga".  It was a pretty good workout. It should go back but I should do a lot of things that I don't.  I think just plain normal yoga would be wise for this guy next time.

I used to sit at a traffic light going to work right next to a ladies yoga class.  Best part of going to work.
Don't forget I've been to Vatican City, and unless this city is the Springfield of Simpsons for astutely theological fellows, I'll have to call you on open-air yoga on cobblestone. 

I've always viewed yoga as elaborate stretching for people who are already fit. I'm likely completely wrong in my thinking, but I've always thought of yoga as something for people who are already fit rather than for people trying to lose weight/improve their fitness. I've never thought of it as a good workout by itself. I've never tried it and I know nothing about it, however. I may be completely wrong.

Some really good moves that can help with stretching, balance, etc.  Low stress and low impact.  

I didn't care for the instructor, tho. Way too much new age garbage and "let all the bad thoughts go" BS.  Shut up and tell me how to stretch.  

Would do again.  Maybe.

I rarely go to in-person classes, but I do yoga 6-7 days a week at home using Youtube classes.  I've ramped it up from ~3 days a week to nearly every day in the past 12-14 months since I've essentially retired from competitive soccer.  :shrug:

I've always viewed yoga as elaborate stretching for people who are already fit. I'm likely completely wrong in my thinking, but I've always thought of yoga as something for people who are already fit rather than for people trying to lose weight/improve their fitness. I've never thought of it as a good workout by itself. I've never tried it and I know nothing about it, however. I may be completely wrong.
Some of the fundamental concepts of your body, as Jackstraw noted, are in yoga and can help anybody. I know that proper posture and breathing leads to so many physical benefits that are unseen that it's really something that should be taken seriously. I realized that when the trainers that provide you with free consults at gyms are trying to make you not round your shoulders and open your chest while you lift is yoga-inspired. 

Yeah, I'd say this is pretty similar to my view. 

Absolute fountain of youth. Strength, flexibility, balance. 

Really tough though. 

People have a lot of biases they need to get over. Some people think its kind of a wussy activity and I look at them like they are crazy.
I was thrown off the activity at an early age thanks to "That's Incredible".  I didn't want to contort myself into a little glass box. 

Should go more. Only been maybe 10 times or so.

First one I went to I thought it would not be too crazy. Went with a bunch of the wife's friends. I rolled out of bed, drank a cup of coffee, drive down. Was wearing cotton shorts and cotton T-Shirt.

Proceeded to sweat more than any workout I have ever done (well maybe because it was in same spot for an hour as opposed to running around a court or field or something). Was a moat of sweat around me and my clothes were soaked.

These skinny ladies all around me doing crazy moves. Bunch of show offs. Great workout though.

I went weekly for awhile like 12 years ago when I was sore all the time from still playing a lot of sports and trying to meet girls. I liked it for many reasons including the body and mind stuff. I had a yoga instructor who would break out a different instrument each week to play chill music for the chill music thing at the end. Always cracked me up.  I still do lungey stuff and warrior pose progressions to try to keep my hips hip. 

I've never been to a Yoga class in person but I highly, HIGHLY recommend DDP Yoga (former wrestler Diamond Dallas Page). Fixed back issues that I battled for years. Went to doctors and chiropractors and they could never figure it out for more than a day or two but DDPY did the trick

I thought the p90x yoga portion (the 1st part I believe with the various movements/not the static poses) was awesome.   If I could choose to do just one thing for overall health, it would certainly be that.  

I've been doing yoga for 10-11 years, and there are some poses I will absolutely never be able to do.  Everyone's body is different.....what is easy for someone is impossible for someone else, and vice versa.  Always makes for a good challenge.
Yup these little waif women were holding their whole body weight on the palms weaves between their legs. Was very impressive.

I thought the p90x yoga portion (the 1st part I believe with the various movements/not the static poses) was awesome.   If I could choose to do just one thing for overall health, it would certainly be that.  
90x2 yoga is the best one.  The original 90x one is poorly paced and structured.   90x3 doesn't have a yoga class because I think they feel the 90x2 was the best they could do and went for a floor pilates class in that set.  

Did Bikram a couple times. Mainly on a bet from some girls at work who didn’t think I could make it through the class. 

90x2 yoga is the best one.  The original 90x one is poorly paced and structured.   90x3 doesn't have a yoga class because I think they feel the 90x2 was the best they could do and went for a floor pilates class in that set.  
I might need to check out that 2nd version b/c I really liked the 1st but like I said just the 1st part after the warm up where it quickly moved through the various poses (runner, warrior n's, downward dog, etc).   

i havent because frankly brohans i fart a lot as it is and aint no one at a yoga dojo that need any of this take that to the bank 

Female co-worker suggested I try after our discussions of sore joints due to running. Went twice & did enjoy as I was looking for more core work vs typical gym/weights workout. Wife not comfortable with it, even though co-worker married, and that ended my experience. I would continue but its expensive compared to gym membership. (Co-worker eventually divorced so maybe wife had some kinda woman-sense).

i havent because frankly brohans i fart a lot as it is and aint no one at a yoga dojo that need any of this take that to the bank 
This.  I do occasional semi-yoga/stretching at home, but need to be much more regular about it.  I'm very interested in a yoga class to learn more and get in a routine ...but from the home stuff, I'm very fearful of the need to rip some off.  

Really tough though. 

People have a lot of biases they need to get over. Some people think its kind of a wussy activity and I look at them like they are crazy.
Terrific answer. I've basically lifted weights and played sports since high school. Terrible at stretching. 55 now. Started a year ago. I'm hooked. 5-6 times a week. Hot Ashtanga Vinyasa. Range of motion.  Feels like my joints are greased. Balance.  Took 3 belt notches off my waist in 10 months.  Guys half my age come in, looking like line backers and melt halfway through. Like I did at the start. Compliment yoga with spin classes. Easy on the hips, knees and ankles. Great cardio. Endurance.  

Terrific answer. I've basically lifted weights and played sports since high school. Terrible at stretching. 55 now. Started a year ago. I'm hooked. 5-6 times a week. Hot Ashtanga Vinyasa. Range of motion.  Feels like my joints are greased. Balance.  Took 3 belt notches off my waist in 10 months.  Guys half my age come in, looking like line backers and melt halfway through. Like I did at the start. Compliment yoga with spin classes. Easy on the hips, knees and ankles. Great cardio. Endurance.  
Thats a great combo.   You can do that form of exercise for a very long time with putting a pounding on your body.  Keep it up.  

Took Hatha yoga in college. Liked it but didn't' keep doing it.

Went to "hot" Bikram yoga class 20+ years later. Couldn't stand it.

Really tough though. 

It is great exercise, but a little slow.

Climbing is good for all the things you mention, plus problem solving. Highly recommend it.

This.  I do occasional semi-yoga/stretching at home, but need to be much more regular about it.  I'm very interested in a yoga class to learn more and get in a routine ...but from the home stuff, I'm very fearful of the need to rip some off.  
It's been years and I only did them for a few months, but there was at least one bomb during most of the 90+% female pilates classes (it's similar) I attended. I don't think any of them were me, but I used to drink a lot and my memory isn't what it once was so who knows. 

Go at least once a week. Heated class with a slower pace is my favorite.  I still get a good workout but I like to hold my poses longer as my hips and quads don’t let me be as flexible.   

been doing it off and on for over 10 years. Really appreciate the mental / meditation angle with the right instructor as well.  

A handful of times, yes, and it's always like 30 women and 4 men. :lol:  

Hard to not get distracted by the scenario at times, but the stretches do help, and I still bust out a few of them when stretching before and after a workout.  I should probably get back into going. 

Maybe 5 times. Took a Vinyasa flow 3 course that absolutely kicked my ###. Talk about a core workout. Need to do it more. Have done a few on the Peleton app

About 10 years ago I signed up for a beginner yoga class at the gym. At the first session, I was so bad at doing all the moves -- awkward, uncoordinated, and not flexible AT ALL -- that the instructor accused me of mocking her. I never went back.

Yes, with "real classes", part of group training, and some on my own. I need to do it more.

The classes were just when a female friend wanted to go when we were all apart from our families.  She wanted to take me because I'm harmless and didn't want to get hit on by other guys in the class. At one point in my life I was pretty decent protection. 

About 10 years ago I signed up for a beginner yoga class at the gym. At the first session, I was so bad at doing all the moves -- awkward, uncoordinated, and not flexible AT ALL -- that the instructor accused me of mocking her. I never went back.
I would love to have been in this class

It is great exercise, but a little slow.

Climbing is good for all the things you mention, plus problem solving. Highly recommend it.
At the gym I joined, there are 7 styles progressing from easy to impossible.  Pushing to limits, finding failure, is intentional.  No one can beat the class.  Hot Flow, at about 96F, starts with about 20 updogs, down dogs, side twists, warrior 1, humble warrior and prayer twists set to music like Evanescence.  Then after we're warm [read: half the class wants to bail into child's pose] the real fun starts.  Different teachers have different combinations.  I think you might like this. 

Maybe 5 times. Took a Vinyasa flow 3 course that absolutely kicked my ###. Talk about a core workout. Need to do it more. Have done a few on the Peleton app
This.  Hot Ashtanga.  Hot Vinyasa.  Hot Flow.  5 times a week.  I 've never run.  My friends that run are at it 5-6 times a week. I think to get the full benefits, you will want something like that.  Need to do it nearly every day or maybe 3-4 times a week to get in condition.  And I hope you do.  I was really frustrated.  For 3 months I struggled to learn the poses.  Find balance.  I was pissed when women half my size were powering through crow pose, pistol squat, planking into their forearms and back to high plank repeatedly, high boat and low boat reps, etc.  Then it sort of clicked.  I learned how to plant my feet and hands.  I have never been the sweaty guy.  But I'm dripping like I walked out of the shower in these classes.  My skin is oiled. I just feel better.  I'm actually energized about 15 minutes after class.  Completely different than my exhaustion after lifting weights. 

Spin would be a nice compliment.  I've been mixing-in pilates for extra core work but I feel like I'm missing out on some cardio.  I've tried barre in the past and found it pretty challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread