What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time Magazine Person of the Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Phil Elliott

Footballguy
The FreeBeacon is reporting Time’s 2019 person of the year will be “The Whistleblower”.

eta: ... they were wrong. Its Greta Thunberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FreeBeacon is reporting Time’s 2019 person of the year will be “The Whistleblower”.
If so, good choice, as that person set the wheels in motion that will ultimately result in Trump's impeachment, which will probably end up the most newsworthy event of this year. 

Two quick items to keep in mind:

1. Time has always taken the position that the Person of the Year is chosen based on newsworthiness, not virtue.  The fact that Time selected Hitler in 1938 wasn't an endorsement of Hitler.  It was just a nod to the indisputably correct fact that Hitler was really important in the late 1930s and played a large role in current events during that era.  I think all of us would agree that Time nailed that one.  That was surely a better selection that Yuri Andropov, who barely had time to learn where the mens room in the Kremlin was before dropping dead.

2. Nobody reads Time and it's a publication that's only tangentially relevant for a couple of weeks right around this time of the year.  So who cares who they pick.

I wonder of Greta wants to chime in on the trees destroyed in order to make Time Magazine.

BTW everyone knows it should be Trump but the media won't allow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder of Greta wants to chime in on the trees destroyed in order to make Time Magazine.

BTW everyone knows it should be Trump but the media won't allow it.
Why wouldn’t the media allow it to be Trump? He’s been given the award before. 

Can't wait to see Trump's tweet about this.  I wonder if he'll just outright bash her like he does everyone else?

Oh, and this really rustles jim jams of Trump supporters.  They hate GT.

She doesn’t seem to like consumers of petroleum (assuming you are one.) She sounds very unforgiving and angry. 
Well, I don't like her stance that technology cannot assist in climate change. And I think her style and tone is not becoming of polite society. That said, if she wamt to live in the Swedish forest in a logcabin fired by pine trees, she can do so, but then she should leave the climate commentary to other people

Fun Fact:

16-year-old activist Greta Thunberg is the youngest person to be named TIME's Person of the Year.

Well, I don't like her stance that technology cannot assist in climate change. And I think her style and tone is not becoming of polite society. That said, if she wamt to live in the Swedish forest in a logcabin fired by pine trees, she can do so, but then she should leave the climate commentary to other people
I believe that history teaches us that harbingers of necessary political and social change are not exactly perfect beings, far from it. I would offer John Brown and Malcolm X for example. 

Right now her main point is that the world needs to take global, concerted action to fight climate change. She is certainly not the first person to make this point, but right now she is the most prominent. That’s enough for me to support her, generally. The specifics can come later, or never. 

Wonder what kind of platform they’d give her if she started trashing the Pentagon for being one of the world’s worst polluters and greenhouse gas emitters.  Would probably vanish instantly. She wouldn’t be on the cover of no magazines I bet.   

The military-industrial complex destroys the earth.  This reality has always been incongruent with Tim’s professed views on climate change.  American exceptionalism and a criminal oil racket, or a clean, livable planet: you can only pick one.  

Wonder what kind of platform they’d give her if she started trashing the Pentagon for being one of the world’s worst polluters and greenhouse gas emitters.  Would probably vanish instantly. She wouldn’t be on the cover of no magazines I bet.   

The military-industrial complex destroys the earth.  This reality has always been incongruent with Tim’s professed views on climate change.  American exceptionalism and a criminal oil racket, or a clean, livable planet: you can only pick one.  
probably regret asking this, but who is they?

ren hoek said:
I pick American exceptionalism without the criminal, and a clean livable planet. How’s that? 

So few suitable adults anymore that Malala gets a Nobel, Greta a Time POY,.......................make way for Saint Baby Shark!!!

Users who are viewing this thread