What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Neil Young Studio Album (1 Viewer)

Pick the best Neil Young studio album of all time

• Neil Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • After the Gold Rush

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Harvest

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • On the Beach

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Zuma

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Comes a Time

• Rust Never Sleeps

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Trans

• Ragged Glory

• Harvest Moon

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Sleeps with Angels

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Mirror Ball

• Psychedelic Pill

• Other

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Very tough for me - one of my favorite artists and there are 4-5 albums I could call my favorite depending on mood. Went with "After the Gold Rush" here.

Look out mama, there's a white boat comin' up the river
One of those classic lyrical mysteries.  Neil threw together some cool-sounding lyrics that seem to tell part of a larger story, but no one knows what its about.   I've always assumed its a family of back-river hillbillies running a moonshine operation that's getting busted by the feds (in the white boat). 

One of those classic lyrical mysteries.  Neil threw together some cool-sounding lyrics that seem to tell part of a larger story, but no one knows what its about.   I've always assumed its a family of back-river hillbillies running a moonshine operation that's getting busted by the feds (in the white boat). 
Nah, this one isn't hard to figure out. It's exactly what you think it is. 

Big John's been drinking since the river took Emmy-Lou. All time great line.

I picked Everyone Knows, because I love Cowgirl, but could have easily picked On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, Zuma, Harvest (and Moon).

Neil is my favorite artist. 

An other vote for Tonight's the Night. 

Totally understand that people would vote for other albums (or should I say, not other album?).

It's one of those one-off gems found in the catalogs of many other prolific artists.  Springsteen's Nebraska comes to mind, and Bob Dylan and the Band's The Basment Tapes.

ETA: Forgot how good World on a String is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rust Never Sleeps barely over Harvest and Everyone Knows This is Nowhere. 

I chose After the Gold Rush.  I probably would have taken  Harvest, if I hadn't heard it 5 million times in college.

An EP of his tracks with CSNY would have been a formidable entry.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Mirror Ball isn't his best, but it might be one of my favorites.  So influenced by 90s grunge, a departure for him but he faced it and aced it.

"Words unspoken tend to leave a hollow sound"....

He's put out a LOT of music.  So many albums get lost in the shuffle. 

Mirror Ball isn't his best, but it might be one of my favorites.  So influenced by 90s grunge, a departure for him but he faced it and aced it.

He's put out a LOT of music.  So many albums get lost in the shuffle. 
I think it's more accurate to say Crazy Horse inspired "grunge", whatever that word means, more than the other way around.

As for as Rust Never Sleeps being recorded mostly live, I think of it kind of like Europe '72. But more so worthy of "album" designation, as none of the RNS songs had been release before.

"I'm The Ocean"...a "lost" classic from the perspective that many of Neil's fans were not Pearl Jam aficionados. Still a tune that I typically play 2-3 times in a row when it comes on.

Love the classics, but will throw Freedom in the mix.  Began his renaissance after the Geffen years and I challenge any artist in his late period to put out a string of albums as solid as Freedom to Broken Arrow. Predisposed to the Horse, so likely my bias.

"I'm The Ocean"...a "lost" classic from the perspective that many of Neil's fans were not Pearl Jam aficionados. Still a tune that I typically play 2-3 times in a row when it comes on.

Love the classics, but will throw Freedom in the mix.  Began his renaissance after the Geffen years and I challenge any artist in his late period to put out a string of albums as solid as Freedom to Broken Arrow. Predisposed to the Horse, so likely my bias.
I think you and I would get along great on a road trip. :thumbup:

An other vote for Tonight's the Night. 

Totally understand that people would vote for other albums (or should I say, not other album?).

It's one of those one-off gems found in the catalogs of many other prolific artists.  Springsteen's Nebraska comes to mind, and Bob Dylan and the Band's The Basment Tapes.

ETA: Forgot how good World on a String is.
Neil > Dylan for me.   Not that it matters.  

Users who are viewing this thread