What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Scotty Miller, TB (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Scotty Miller (hamstring) wasn't listed on the Buccaneers' final injury report.

Both Justin Watson (5-59-1 in Week 14) and Breshad Perriman (3-70-1) found the end zone in the Buccaneers' 38-35 win over the Colts last week. Each is a physically-gifted specimen in a prime matchup against a Lions Defense that has allowed the second-most yards per game to opposing No. 2 WRs this season. Still, the return of Miller throws a wrench into this whole situation and lowers the floor of each complementary WR. Tentatively treat Watson as the No. 2 WR in this offense, as Perriman and Miller will likely rotate as the offense's field-stretching option.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Dec 13, 2019, 4:26 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Miller caught 4-of-6 targets for 71 yards in the Bucs' Week 11 loss to the Saints.

Miller was the team's second-leading receiver behind Cameron Brate and was third on the Bucs in targets. He was stopped at the one-yard line on what was initially ruled a 49-yard score. The sixth-round rookie played over 52% of the snaps with Breshad Perriman seeing his snaps dialed back along with O.J. Howard getting benched after an early drop that turned into an interception. Miller has speed for days and is someone to have on the fantasy radar down the stretch of a lost season in Tampa Bay.

Nov 18, 2019, 8:25 PM ET

5 Bucs to Watch Against Detroit

3. WR Scotty Miller

One of those receivers that will get an opportunity due to Evans’ absence is rookie Scotty Miller, who returns to the lineup after battling back from a hamstring injury.

"Oh, it's huge, with Mike down, to get some speed back out on the field and to get him going again,” Arians said of Miller following practice on Friday. “He was doing well before the injury."

Miller’s best game came in the Bucs’ home loss to New Orleans in Week 11 where he caught four passes for 71 yards. He has been out of commission since after Week 12 and is still looking for his first NFL touchdown. With a Lions defense worried about Chris Godwin and Breshad Perriman, Miller may have an opportunity to get that in Detroit.

Scotty Miller (hamstring) wasn't listed on the Buccaneers' final injury report.

Both Justin Watson (5-59-1 in Week 14) and Breshad Perriman (3-70-1) found the end zone in the Buccaneers' 38-35 win over the Colts last week. Each is a physically-gifted specimen in a prime matchup against a Lions Defense that has allowed the second-most yards per game to opposing No. 2 WRs this season. Still, the return of Miller throws a wrench into this whole situation and lowers the floor of each complementary WR. Tentatively treat Watson as the No. 2 WR in this offense, as Perriman and Miller will likely rotate as the offense's field-stretching option.
Roto is clueless.

Do you guys think he’d really impact Watson or Perriman’s game this week?  After Evans injury - I don’t have many/any options at the flex this week outside of Perriman or Watson. 

Hot Topics, Bruce Arians Monday PC: Miller's Time (November 18)

Excerpt:

1. Rookie WR Scotty Miller is getting more involved in the offense.

The Saints' insistence on doubling both Mike Evans and Chris Godwin as much as possible on Sunday led to more opportunities for some of the Bucs' other pass-catchers. Tight end Cameron Brate most notably took advantage of that with a career-high 10 catches on 14 targets, which tied a franchise single-game record for tight ends. But rookie wideout Scotty Miller saw increased action, as well.

Miller's six targets matched his total from the previous three games combined and his 71 yards on four receptions were both new single-game highs for him. He was also on the field more, with 35 snaps (51% of the offensive total) as compared to 23 over the last two weeks. A sixth-round draft pick, Miller has speed to burn and is starting to find ways to use it, such as his 48-yard fly down the right sideline that set up Peyton Barber's touchdown catch in the second quarter.

"He’s improving," said Arians of the rookie pass-catcher. "We knew they were going to double-double [Evans and Godwin], so Cam Brate gets 12 targets, Scotty gets a bunch of targets – so those inside guys had to win. We were losing our back in the protection scheme, so Scotty produced. I would just like to see him go one more yard, where he’s supposed to be, for that first down."

Miller's 48-yard catch was originally ruled a 49-yard touchdown before it was reviewed and he was ruled to be down at the one-yard line. But that's not the "one more yard" to which Arians is referring above. In the third quarter, Miller ran a short route out to the left and caught a pass for nine yards on second-and-10. The Bucs then committed a false start penalty, failed to convert the third-and-six and settled for a field goal and a 10-point deficit. Arians' description indicates that Miller was supposed to run his route a little deeper, and it is lessons such as this that will help the rookie continue to improve.

Jameis Winston on Developing a Third Option: It's Complementary Football (November 20)

Excerpt:

Of late, though, the Bucs may have found their number-three option, and it is…everybody?

Against the Saints, Cameron Brate tied a team record for tight ends with 10 catches, producing 73 yards. Rookie wide receiver Scotty Miller also pitched in with 71 yards on four grabs, including a season-long 48-yarder that set up a Bucs' touchdown. Winston also completed seven passes to his running backs. In the previous game, a Week 10 win over Arizona, running back Ronald Jones snared eight passes for 77 yards, tight end O.J. Howard had 47 yards and a touchdown and Miller had a key 28-yard catch.

Over those two games, all of the targets other than Evans and Godwin combined for 43 receptions and 399 yards, or almost exactly double the production of the first eight games, with an average of 21.5 catches for 199.5 yards.

"It's the epitome of complementary football," said Jameis Winston, who has thrown every one of those passes to Evans, Godwin and the rest. "You think about Breshad Perriman in the Seattle game – he stepped up in a big way, got a few catches and even a touchdown. Scotty, he's been climbing his way up every single week so he's continuing to get better. I was really excited to get Cam Brate involved. We have so many weapons and it's unfortunate that we can't get them all the ball, especially on the same play. When you've got receivers out there saying, 'Hey, I'm about to run my route as fast as I can because I don't know if I'm going to get the ball, but if I do get the ball I'm going to be ready,' it's a good thing."

Of course, it's not exactly a revolutionary idea to say that a lot of players catching passes can be a good thing for an offense. That said, there are most commonly only three receivers on the field together, and Evans and Godwin are going to be two of them on most snaps. So the opportunities to provide as a third option won't necessarily be spread out as evenly as the yardage totals from the last game were. And Miller, the blazing-fast rookie out of Bowling Green, may be gaining some in that department.

Perriman, the veteran who came to Tampa after a resurgent second half in Cleveland last year, has gotten the most snaps as the third receiver this year. Miller was inactive for the first two games of the season and Perriman later missed most of three contests with a hamstring strain, but when the two have been active at the same time Perriman has generally had about a 5-1 edge in snaps played. For example, Perriman logged 57 offensive plays against Arizona in Week 10 to Miller's 11.

The exception is the most recent game, in which Perriman and Miller had almost identical snap counts, 36 for the former and 35 for the latter.

"I'm feeling really confident with it," said Miller. "Whether it be the one receiver or the five receiver or anywhere in between, you've got to go out there when your number's called and be able to make plays. That's the mindset I have. I've just got to be ready to go whenever I'm out there on the field. I've got to know what I'm doing and play fast and make plays when it comes my way."

Winston had tried a couple times in previous weeks to get the ball deep to Miller but the connection was never quite made. Miller's longest catch had been a 28-yarder on a seam play in traffic against the Cardinals. On his 48-yarder last Sunday, Miller simply sprinted by Eli Apple and Winston hit him in stride.

"I just think hard work pays off," said Winston of his young teammate. "He's continued to work hard every day. He's definitely gaining confidence in himself and you're seeing the type of player that he's capable of being."

Perhaps the bottom line is that the Buccaneers are sixth in the NFL in passing, with a robust 285.6 yards per game, and they are averaging almost exactly two touchdown receptions a game. For much of the season, that has been largely provided by the Evans/Godwin combo, and there will probably be games in the final stretch of six in which that happens again. But on other occasions the Bucs will probably need a third option, even if that happens to be three or four different options.

"I thought Scotty played a little bit better; he’s starting to develop, and it’s about that time," said Head Coach Bruce Arians. "Usually [with] rookies, it takes until Thanksgiving. Breshad's open; he’s not getting his opportunities very often but he’s doing his job. Our tight ends can do a better job. I thought Cam did a good job with his targets. That position – when they’re playing double zones – you’ve got to win inside like T.J. Logan did."

Do you guys think he’d really impact Watson or Perriman’s game this week?  After Evans injury - I don’t have many/any options at the flex this week outside of Perriman or Watson. 
He definitely impacts Watson... because Miller is the No. 3 WR and his return plummets Watson's snaps way down. Roto has some weird fixation that someone Watson will not only play over Miller, but Perriman with Evans gone. This despite Watson being irrelevant behind both players when they were healthy. Maybe Watson rotates a bit with Miller, but he's should steal work from Perriman.

Buccaneers WR Scotty Miller caught all three of his targets for 49 yards and one touchdown before being ruled out with a hamstring injury in Tampa Bay's Week 15 win over the Lions.

Miller started alongside Breshad Perriman (5/113/3) in three-wide sets and corralled a 33-yard score over the top of Detroit's secondary before re-aggravating the same hamstring that kept him sidelined in the Bucs' last two contests. With Chris Godwin (hamstring) likely shelved for Tampa Bay's final two games, Miller projects to continue starting over second-year specimen Justin Watson if healthy. Consider Miller closer to doubtful for Week 16 until injury reports update his status mid-week.
I had thought he was seriously hurt, but it appears it might've been a tweak if he has a shot to play next week.

Bucs placed WR Scotty Miller on injured reserve with a hamstring injury, ending his season.

The No. 208 overall pick of the draft, Miller went 3/49 against the Lions on Sunday, scoring his first career touchdown. His loss is a big one for a team already down Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Without Miller against the Texans, the Bucs will now be forced to roll with some combination of Ishmael Hyman and Cyril Grayson behind Breshad Perriman and Justin Watson. All the receiver injuries are making Jameis Winston a more uncertain prospect for the fantasy finals. Going on 23, Miller and his 4.36 wheels should have a leg up on a 53-man roster spot in 2020.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Dec 17, 2019, 2:24 PM ET

Bucs second-year WR Scott Miller expects to compete for the No. 3 receiver role.

Miller was limited to 10 games as a rookie before landing on IR with a hamstring injury. With Breshad Perriman gone, he has a clearer path to targets behind Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Miller has some Julian Edelman to him as a potential slot option for Tom Brady, but he's far from a lock for a top-three role.

SOURCE: Pewter Report

Apr 4, 2020, 11:30 AM ET

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Scotty Miller "looks great" at training camp.

Miller added 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. The weight was needed after he played at just 175 last year. With Tyler Johnson sidelined, Miller is the frontrunner for the No. 3 receiver job. The slot role has led to high target shares in Tom Brady offenses, but Miller is buried behind Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Rob Gronkowski.

RELATED: 

Tyler Johnson

SOURCE: bucs.com

Aug 14, 2020, 6:05 PM ET

ESPN's Jenna Laine believes Bucs WR Scotty Miller "looks like a totally different player." 

Per Laine, Miller is "making some of the biggest plays of camp and building his case for the third receiver spot." Coach Bruce Arians offered similar praise 10 days ago. It now appears Miller has No. 3/slot duties on lockdown. That would normally be a profitable fantasy place in a Tom Brady-led offense, but all-worlder Chris Godwin will also see a ton of snaps in the middle of the field. Miller is worth keeping an eye on in PPR leagues, but the Bucs' target tree is probably too crowded for the second-year pro to make a consistent impact. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 24, 2020, 7:16 PM ET

Bucs QB Tom Brady said Scotty Miller has earned a role in the offense.

“He’s another consistent, trustworthy player,” said Brady. “Whatever we talk about, he takes it to the next practice and his play is showing everybody that he’s earned a big role.” Brady’s comments seem to back up that Miller’s the favorite to open the year in three-wide sets, as Justin Watson and Tyler Johnson have also received slot reps. Miller is still behind at least Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Rob Gronkowski for targets.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Aug 29, 2020, 10:52 AM ET

Anyone targeting this guy in their PPR drafts?
I’ve been following the news & I have some interest as an end of draft flier, but at the moment he’s behind 2 WRs and likely both TEs for targets, so barring injury I’m not sure how productive he’ll be for FF. 

shallow bench, probably not worth rostering. Desperate for a WR3 in the last round in a deep roster or 14-16 team league? You could maybe do worse? :shrug:  

(RotoWire) Miller has been able to keep up his early-camp momentum by regularly making plays in practices, and he hauled in a 55-yard bomb from Tom Brady in Friday's scrimmage at Raymond James Stadium, Carmen Vitali of the team's official site reports.

Analysis: The second-year speedster's name seemingly comes up in every training camp wrap-up, as Miller has quickly developed an impressive rapport with Brady and has been able to make plays on a number of different routes and depths of target. That was on display again in Friday's scrimmage, with Miller recording a 20-yard grab in the earlier portion of the simulated game and then subsequently bringing in the deep throw on a post route later in the session. The 23-year-old may have already locked in the No. 3 receiver role, as Tyler Johnson (undisclosed) has simply been too beset by injury and Justin Watson, while also making his share of plays, hasn't quite been on the same level as Miller.

He caught 4-84 in that scrimmage with the first team offense, and yet nobody wants to report on that. 

Also his top comp on playerprofiler is Tyler Lockett, which is interesting. 

Scooped him up in both my dynasties. I'm not sure he'll be much more than a WR3 this year, but he's gonna do enough that by about week 4 every Evans and Godwin owner will be rooting for an injury.

Miller is the back-up/ hand-cuff to Evans as an outside WR in 2 WR sets and the 2nd outside WR in 3 WR sets --  Godwin (Watson is the back-up to Godwin as the Ariens "big slot")  will be the the slot when Miller is on the field .... also when Miller is on the field it appears he'll force Gronk off the field ..... look for Evans, Godwin, Gronk, OJ Howard inside the 20 - so Miller will be 3rd down/ game script 3rd WR who will play outside 90% of his snaps despite his size (5'10")

note: Justin Watson has had a very good as well

Yeah the only thing that slowed this guy down is injuries. It's not like the slot guy can't have a good role in an Arians/Brady O.

With Godwin out, anyone else rolling with Miller in PPR? I'm starting him in flex over Diontae. I think he's in for a 10 catch day. I've watched Brady long enough to know when he trusts a guy he locks in and feeds him. 

With Godwin out, anyone else rolling with Miller in PPR? I'm starting him in flex over Diontae. I think he's in for a 10 catch day. I've watched Brady long enough to know when he trusts a guy he locks in and feeds him. 
Is Dionte out? PIT has a great passing matchup - I’m all for starting Miller today, but I’m not sure I’d do it over DiJo. 

With AJ Brown out I have him in my lineup as of right now...16 team PPR

Debating  between him , Preston Williams and Noah Fant.

With AJ Brown out I have him in my lineup as of right now...16 team PPR

Debating  between him , Preston Williams and Noah Fant.
Ya gotta know Steelers are brutal against TEs. I’m benching Fant for Engram today, which I hate to do (even though I drafted EE as a starter).

I like the call. PWill is also a little tough to trust with Fitzmagic playing like booty. 

Is Dionte out? PIT has a great passing matchup - I’m all for starting Miller today, but I’m not sure I’d do it over DiJo. 
I think Diontae has higher ceiling / lower floor in PPR. I just feel Miller's floor is last week's 7/70 with a very reasonable shot at 11/110. 

In .5 or non I'd go DJ. 

Whenever it sounds too good to be true....

sorta like Gibson’s rushing yard prop last week.
I’m aware of how great they are at setting lines but even they know this one is kind of a good bet to happen because the over odds are -156 (but you can get a 25% odds boost for up to 13 bets a week for NFL).

Whenever it sounds too good to be true....

sorta like Gibson’s rushing yard prop last week.
Godwin our. Evans a little banged up and coming off of almost the worst game you can have while scoring a TD... I don’t think there is much of any chance Miller has less than 5 receptions much less 4

Godwin our. Evans a little banged up and coming off of almost the worst game you can have while scoring a TD... I don’t think there is much of any chance Miller has less than 5 receptions much less 4
I’m just sayin - Vegas isn’t in the business of losing money. I agree it sounds like a slam dunk. 

....which is always when I lose the most $. :(  

I’m just sayin - Vegas isn’t in the business of losing money. I agree it sounds like a slam dunk. 

....which is always when I lose the most $. :(  
I have to imagine that line was established before Godwin was declared out. Even with him active I think Miller is a good bet for 4 or more, but that’s a much more risky bet. You’re right, follow the money if you’re looking for roster advice. This seems like free money though. Idk what to make of it

I have to imagine that line was established before Godwin was declared out. Even with him active I think Miller is a good bet for 4 or more, but that’s a much more risky bet. You’re right, follow the money if you’re looking for roster advice. This seems like free money though. Idk what to make of it
I’m not telling anyone how to place their bets. 

I just have perpetual Admiral Ackbar syndrome. “It’s a trap!” 

Users who are viewing this thread