What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Text As A Communication Platform? (1 Viewer)

Would you be interested in receiving texts from Footballguys?

• Absolutely

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • On the fence

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Probably not

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 30 48.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Some of you guys know I've been a long time Gary Vaynerchuk guy.

I very much like the direction and feel he seems to have turned the last couple of years where it's less "grinding" and more practical how to type stuff.

His most recent direction is text.

As he says, "I'm putting all my ####### eggs in the text basket". 

He creates an avalanche of content every day that's distributed across all the platforms. And on most, he now includes:

Tweet Me! @garyvee

Text Me! 212-931-5731

Basically, it's another version of signing up for the email update list in that you give the content creator the ability to send you a text. 

What's MASSIVELY different about it though is for most people in 2019, a text has a much higher score on the "do I get my phone out of my pocket for this" scale than an email does. An email has essentially zero on the scale. A push notification might be a 4 or 5. A text is probably more like an 8.

I'd love to get your thoughts on this and how you view it.

Looks like https://www.community.com/ is the platform. 

Whenever we've considered text in the past, it was insanely expensive compared to email. I wonder if this is changing. 

Thoughts?

Push notification I would be ok with. I'm not sure what is different about text (for some reason it feels more personal) but I don't think I would want it. 

Definitely not.

Carry around too many useless text conversations as it is. Love the notification setup of Fantasy Life.

Thanks Guys. 

And to make sure I'm clear, the only way anyone would ever receive a text is if they asked for the text to be sent. It would be 100% opt in. 

I had one guy tell me he'd be furious if he got a text. The only people who'd ever get them would be people WHO ASKED FOR THEM TO BE SENT.

I was just trying to get a handle on how many people might ask. 

Wouldn't request texts, if available. Too much phone-intrusiveness in life already.

Do enjoy the emails, and find them beneficial and up-to-date-enough.....always read them.

I'd be game for something critical.  I don't see the difference between a text and an email in terms of 'how much it bothers us'.  Most of us get emails to our phone anyways so I guess it's just a different sound the same device would make if it came in via text.

In spirit, I understand the concept. 

in practice. I despise push-notifications. 

my style is “information at my fingertips”. I enjoy accessing data.

what with the world of robodials, my phone gets 10-15 unsolicited hits a day. I get texts from friends and family. I receive texts from the phone company & amber alerts.

apps all want to push notifications at me - I’ve turned them all off. 

On the whole I receive more than enough push notifications to the point that The phone I have as a convenience occasionally becomes an annoyance. Sometimes more than occasionally. 

so speaking only for myself, I would be unlikely to opt-in to that sort of content. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be game for something critical.  I don't see the difference between a text and an email in terms of 'how much it bothers us'.  Most of us get emails to our phone anyways so I guess it's just a different sound the same device would make if it came in via text.
You and I use our phones completely differently 

I wouldn't be up for it. I tried a text message service recommended on this board this year and it sends me completely useless information in push texts that I don't want. I would have to say no thanks to the FBG service, too.  

You and I use our phones completely differently 
Fair enough.  I'm sure different generations use them differently, but there's an increased number of people who get emails to their phone.  I don't think I know many people that don't.

A text message only seems appropriate for urgent information where a pickup is involved.  Like a starting running back getting hurt in a Thursday practice.  Or when a player's playing status unexpectedly changes 90 minutes before kickoff.  So only where getting the information in the fastest time frame possible is of complete importance.  It has to be information that is worthy of interrupting a person's life over.  Because a text message literally interrupts a person's life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread