Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty: QB Joe Burrow, LSU

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

Chicago 

Has there been much chatter on a destination?  Any links?

18 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Has there been much chatter on a destination?  Any links?

Just my guess.  Makes too much sense 

• Like 1

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Bengals have no intention of trading the No. 1 overall draft pick no matter the interest they get in it, per league sources.

9:39 AM - 19 Jan 2020

1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Bengals have no intention of trading the No. 1 overall draft pick no matter the interest they get in it, per league sources.

Well alrighty then!!  That settles it, now we can move on to other discussions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

No duh, Schefter. 

On 1/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, lod001 said:

No duh, Schefter. 

In fairness, the Bengals can save money on scouting and plane tickets to the Combine by just waiting until Burrow comes home to visit family, then setting a meet-up at a Waffle House. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

In fairness, the Bengals can save money on scouting and plane tickets to the Combine by just waiting until Burrow comes home to visit family, then setting a meet-up at a Waffle House

Nuh-uh. Waffle House charges for their food. Mama Burrow will be expected to cook and set places for Bengals brass.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 hours ago, Doug B said:

Nuh-uh. Waffle House charges for their food. Mama Burrow will be expected to cook and set places for Bengals brass.

Don't forget setting up the guest room for a couple of days

• Laughing 1

13 hours ago, Statorama said:
22 hours ago, Doug B said:

Don't forget setting up the guest room for a couple of days

MIke Brown and crew pulling up in the RV like Uncle Eddie in Christmas Vacation :D 

• Laughing 1

On the bright side, if CIN does take Burrow there won't be the kind of immediate pressure he'd get in a larger market.

Just pull a Cousins...keep yourself healthy and wait for the big paycheck down the road.

An unnamed NFL scout told ESPN at last week's Senior Bowl that LSU QB Joe Burrow was the only franchise quarterback in this year's draft class.

Burrow (6'4/216) is coming off of one of the best seasons in college football history, as he threw 60 touchdown passes and led LSU to a 15-0 record and a national title. Of course the big question that some have is how much did the arrival of Joe Brady (who's now with the Carolina Panthers) have to do with the significant jump in Burrow's productivity. He's projected to be taken by Cincinnati with the first pick in this spring's draft as the franchise appears ready to move on from Andy Dalton. "I don't think there are any franchise guys in this draft except Burrow," the scout told ESPN.com. "But I'd like him even better if they had hired [Brady] in Cincinnati. That's what I would've done. Instead they're going to teach him a whole new offense and hope that it's a good fit."

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 28, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

LSU QB Joe Burrow was named winner of the 2019 Manning Award.

Unlike the Heisman and other honors bestowed in December, the Manning Award takes into account postseason play. Burrow (6'4/216) was transcendent throughout the season and in both of LSU's Playoff games. Versus Oklahoma and Clemson, the gunslinger threw for a combined 956 yards with a 12/0 TD/INT ratio, putting the cap on arguably the greatest single season in college football history.

SOURCE: Brett McMurphy on Twitter

Jan 29, 2020, 11:15 AM ET

42 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

IF Burrow is a franchise QB, Cincinnati has a great chance of screwing that up. 

QBs are so hard to judge at the NFL level.  So many parameters are in effect.  You have to look at OL, scheme, coach, GM, and surrounding players, etc.  This is why so many NFL teams fail in the draft.  Just look at all the first rd busts at QB.   A team drafts a guy in the first round, or worse, #1 overall,  and thrusts him into the starting lineup when they are pressured to do so, then that QB's confidence is shot and he fails.  I remember when the Colts took Peyton Manning in 1998 and he had over 3700 yards and 26 TDs as a rookie, but he also had 28 ints as a rookie  ....but...he had a GM (Polian) that built a good team around him.  Not all teams do this with so called can't miss QBs.  I'm sorry to say but team stability and smarts at the upper level of team management matters.  Hopefully a GM does everything in his power to make that 1st rd QB succeed, by surrounding him with the talent he needs to succeed.  That just doesn't happen often enough because the GM doesn't have it between the ears and too often than not, that QB drafted in the first round is shot before he has a chance.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

QBs are so hard to judge at the NFL level.  So many parameters are in effect.  You have to look at OL, scheme, coach, GM, and surrounding players, etc.  This is why so many NFL teams fail in the draft.  Just look at all the first rd busts at QB.   A team drafts a guy in the first round, or worse, #1 overall,  and thrusts him into the starting lineup when they are pressured to do I'm sorry to say but team stability and smarts at the upper level of team management matters.  Hopefully a GM does everything in his power to make that 1st rd QB succeed, by surrounding him with the talent he needs to succeed.  That just doesn't happen often enough because the GM doesn't have it between the ears and too often than not, that QB drafted in the first round is shot before he has a chance.

Great post. It's why I hate it when people rag all over individual players instead of looking at the big picture. That guy might have been something if a different team had drafted him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

But in the Tua thread there's an article where he says it's Tua that's better.

Screw off McShsy, you fraud.

He could be accounting for the risk that Tua does not fully recover - I did not read the other article so maybe he adds the contingency of health.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:20 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

"Tua ... I would argue he's better than Joe Burrow. When he's right, he's Drew Brees from the left side."

"It would be a huge mistake," McShay replied. "I think that he proved this year that he's the best quarterback in the country. Now, if (Alabama quarterback) Tua (Tagovailoa) is 100 percent healthy - and there's no way at this point, looking at the medical and talking to all of the doctors I talked to at the Senior Bowl, there's no way we're gonna know what he's gonna be in terms of the long-term and the short-term future for Tua. But if he were to be healthy, I think we would have a great debate here...."

He's not really contradicting himself in those two articles/quotes.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

He's not really contradicting himself in those two articles/quotes.

He's taking I circles, having it both ways and then some, and not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know.

I'm not going to argue semantics when it comes to that phony.

3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

He's taking I circles, having it both ways and then some, and not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know.

I'm not going to argue semantics when it comes to that phony.

I call Todd & Mel Tweedledee & Tweedledumb.

• Like 1

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that LSU QB Joe Burrow "plays with the fiery intensity of Philip Rivers."

Brugler writes that "much of [Burrow's] success comes from channeling his competitive juices in a focused, motivational manner," later referring to the 6-foot-4, 216-pound Heisman winner as the "ultimate competitor." Brugler, no surprise, ranks Burrow as his No. 1 quarterback prospect for April's draft, viewing the LSU gunslinger as an immediate plug-and-play starter. Barring something completely unforeseen, Burrow is just about a lock to be drafted by the Bengals with the No. 1 overall pick this spring.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 6, 2020, 11:12 AM ET

LSU QB Joe Burrow's 2019 season is Pro Football Focus' highest-graded single season since the company began grading college quarterbacks in 2014.

It's not exactly a surprise that Burrow's 2019 season is the best in PFF's database, but it's nice to hear the grading and film matches the hype and box scores. Burrow's 2019 season edges out seasons such as 2018 Kyler Murray and 2017 Baker Mayfield, per PFF's grading. Again, this doesn't tell us anything new about Burrow, but there is never such a thing as too much evidence to support a player's greatness.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 16, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

Burrow could conceivably sit out a year and re-enter the draft next year, but his draft situation wouldn't likely improve.  There's always a chance that a good team lucks into a top pick, but it isn't likely.

ETA - He just needs to keep his head on a swivel and stay healthy until he can get the hell out of Cincinnati.  That's kind of hard to do though, as a lot of people have tried and failed (the entire population of Cincinnati to be exact)

Edited by Statorama
  • Like 1