What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time wasters the NFL needs to end (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
1. The on-air coin flip. Just do it off the field in a room somewhere. Have the team's elections written down or something. Enough of a) these silly controversies because of some mumble mouth or deaf ref and b) wasting the viewers' time with something so trivial.

2. Explanation of declined penalties by the referee. Do we really need to know which penalty wasn't enforced? Another waste of time.

1. The on-air coin flip. Just do it off the field in a room somewhere. Have the team's elections written down or something. Enough of a) these silly controversies because of some mumble mouth or deaf ref and b) wasting the viewers' time with something so trivial.

2. Explanation of declined penalties by the referee. Do we really need to know which penalty wasn't enforced? Another waste of time.
In the spirit of keeping the telecasts less time-wasting, the on-air tributes (and massive government outlays required) to the military are a bit much these days, and I usually have no problem with displays of patriotism. But for purely telecast purposes, we really don't need flyovers (*nor anthems).

Andy, your second is fine by me. 

I would say commercials, which I know are needed to pay for the broadcast, are really eating away prime time games. If not for fantasy football, I can't watch a half of those. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No way.  If it was behind closed doors the Pats would find a way to cheat the coin toss.

No way.  If it was behind closed doors the Pats would find a way to cheat the coin toss.
Okay, then have the coaches hand cards to the refs with their elections. 

We don't need to see players solemnly waddling out to midfield like they're about to sign a nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

Or at the very least let's flip an actual coin. When did we get to the point of "This side with the Goodell family crest is heads and this other side with a number signifying the summation of the birth dates of MLK Jr., Susan B Anthony, and Sacagawea divided by four to honor the branches of our military will be tails"?

In the spirit of keeping the telecasts less time-wasting, the on-air tributes (and massive government outlays required) to the military are a bit much these days, and I usually have no problem with displays of patriotism. But for purely telecast purposes, we really don't need flyovers (*nor anthems).

Two is fine by me. 

I would say commercials, needed to pay for the broadcast, are really eating away prime time games. If not for fantasy football, I can't watch a half of those. 
The Crazy Amount of Money the Military Gives to the NFL

--

Here's a full list of NFL teams that have received taxpayer money from the military for similar arrangements (updated 5/14 with more contracts):

Time wasters the NFL needs to end ... any game with the Dolphins, Redskins, Jets, Lions or Bengals could not be shown.  Could save as much as 15 hours per week.   I'd rather see the coin toss in the ATL/SF game than watch one play of a Lions/Jets matchup.

They’ve already figured it out. They win 68% of coin tosses. Not sure if they’re cheating or they’ve figured out a wind factor but definitely fishy.

If you stop airing the coin flip, then people will start to wonder why they continue to show other non-football pregame rituals, such as the military demonstrations and the national anthem. And we can't allow that to happen. The coin flip is acting as a firewall to protect the other dominoes from falling.

Yes I agree, it takes too much time. I'm not sure I'd like that change or not, but then again football isnt very watchable anyways
If they don’t announce the penalty calls, all the viewers at home are going to still be wanting to know what the flag was for, which way it went, and to see the replay of the alleged foul.  The announcers will end up having to speculate and their abilitynto guess penalties is as bad as refs’ ability to call them correctly.  I expect this is a component of the game we would all miss more than we realize.

If they don’t announce the penalty calls, all the viewers at home are going to still be wanting to know what the flag was for, which way it went, and to see the replay of the alleged foul.  The announcers will end up having to speculate and their abilitynto guess penalties is as bad as refs’ ability to call them correctly.  I expect this is a component of the game we would all miss more than we realize.
They'd still announce the accepted calls. Just skip the declined ones.

Get rid of any drive that doesn't end in scoring or a turnover.  If there's no drama I don't want to watch it.

Keep the coin toss.

Get rid of the phantom holding call that always mysteriously shows up when your favorite team just had a great defensive stop in a close game in the 4th quarter, only to see the other team get "one more chance", which inevitably they turn into a game winning TD or FG. 

I think there's at least room for broadcast changes. I remember when Fox went to a glowing blue orb over the puck so n00bs could better watch hockey on the tele. They even had a trail of color as the puck moved. 

It was awful. Take half the season and get used it; no need to ruin everyone else's enjoyment. But here's my larger point: There absolutely can be time wasters during a telecast. The modern one is buzzing Gene Steratore into the booth to discuss the referee results. All thee announcers have to opine and cringe and whinge like a woman making out a list for a baby shower. 

It's pathetic. 

Get rid of the defer option on the coin toss.  Do you want the ball now, or at the start of the second half? End of choice.   It's always been asinine to me to say "I won the toss, but I want to decide later what to do with it".  Like 99% of the time, the winner wants the ball to start the second half, so the loser gets the ball to start the first half. There's the rare case where Belicheck wants to act smart and say we'll do something different because our stadium has a hideous gap in it that lets the wind rip right through, but he can save those shenanigans for OT coin flips.  

I know it's ad revenue, but the commercials are killing televised games.  Guy scores, they kick the PAT, then commercials.  They come back, the kickoff goes into the end zone for a touchback, then there's a shot of the offense jogging out onto the field, but then it cuts away and we get more commercials.  UGH.  Everytime there's a slight stop in play because a player is down, even if he pops back up in 5 seconds because he just got the wind knocked out of him, too late we missed it because we're already in more commercials. If there's a challenge flag thrown, we launch more commercials while the refs take a look at the monitor and talk to command central and to radio up to Jerruh's booth to see what he wants. The 2:00 warning turns into the 8 minute break because I swear there's 17 commercials in that one.  A game that has four 15 minute quarters should not take 3.5 hours to televise.  

Stop with the mini-interviews of coaches as they head into or out of the locker room at halftime.  They NEVER say anything worth hearing, no matter if they're down by 20, up by 30, or tied.  "We did X well, we need to do Y better, gotta stop committing penalties and tighten up the turnovers".  Yawn.  

As @rockaction just said, stop with the "Rules Analyst" being buzzed in everytime there's a flag, or a challenge.  Whoever it is will ALWAYS agree with whatever the ruling on the field is, because he's not going to run down his fellow officials (ex-coworkers).  Then if the call is overturned, he'll always agree with that too, because he's not going to run down the command center/Riveron/whoever is the decider.  If the call is upheld, then it's basically "see I told you so".  Get rid of him already. Romo and Aikman know the rules well enough to do that guys job, and they're already doing it before they buzz in the Rules Guy anyway.

I know it's ad revenue, but the commercials are killing televised games.  Guy scores, they kick the PAT, then commercials.  They come back, the kickoff goes into the end zone for a touchback, then there's a shot of the offense jogging out onto the field, but then it cuts away and we get more commercials.  UGH.  Everytime there's a slight stop in play because a player is down, even if he pops back up in 5 seconds because he just got the wind knocked out of him, too late we missed it because we're already in more commercials. If there's a challenge flag thrown, we launch more commercials while the refs take a look at the monitor and talk to command central and to radio up to Jerruh's booth to see what he wants. The 2:00 warning turns into the 8 minute break because I swear there's 17 commercials in that one.  A game that has four 15 minute quarters should not take 3.5 hours to televise. 
This one is my personal favorite.  A critically important play, controversial officiating decision, high stakes all around.  But hey, why waste time showing the audience replays when you can show us previews from this week's episode of The Neighborhood instead?

My pet peeve: Down is down. Like in college ball. You get the interception, you fall on the ground, you're down. None of this 5-minute review of "oh he's down by contact because 4 milliseconds after his second hand touches the ball the other team player's finger grazes the bottom of his shoe."

I think there's at least room for broadcast changes. I remember when Fox went to a glowing blue orb over the puck so n00bs could better watch hockey on the tele. They even had a trail of color as the puck moved. 

It was awful. Take half the season and get used it; no need to ruin everyone else's enjoyment.
As a long time hockey fan, I didn't need it but thought the fire trail on slap shots was cool!  They do a sort of similar thing in golf now.

I'm going with side-line babes.  They should all wear the Captain Obvious uniform when they waste our time with, "Coach says they need to tackle better."  "Coach says they need to cut down on penalties."  "Coach says so-and-so broke his arm and is doubtful to return."

Yeah, I know, some of them are babes.  But still . . . . .

My pet peeve: Down is down. Like in college ball. You get the interception, you fall on the ground, you're down. None of this 5-minute review of "oh he's down by contact because 4 milliseconds after his second hand touches the ball the other team player's finger grazes the bottom of his shoe."
To add to that, I hate the "he isn't down because he was on top of another player".  If you are tackled and go to the ground, you shouldn't be able to get up and run because you happened to fall on a teammates back.

As a long time hockey fan, I didn't need it but thought the fire trail on slap shots was cool!  They do a sort of similar thing in golf now.

I'm going with side-line babes.  They should all wear the Captain Obvious uniform when they waste our time with, "Coach says they need to tackle better."  "Coach says they need to cut down on penalties."  "Coach says so-and-so broke his arm and is doubtful to return."

Yeah, I know, some of them are babes.  But still . . . . .
Yeah, they've largely been the subject of scorn by the televisual watchers and the coaches who don't want to release any more information than possible, feeding their seeming uselessness. Some do get some info out the coach, thus they're worthy of a mention at times as being capable journalists in prime real estate. When things don't go their way and they're left with nothing to report on,  I actually feel a little bad for television personalities making six figures. Who knew?!

I hate the down is down rule in college. It's what separates Saturdays from Sundays. I don't watch Saturdays because I want to see utter explosiveness and downfield precision passing. Makes me tingle in a way the actual culture of football doesn't. Don't go putting your college in my pro! 

Vive la difference!

tv time outs.  :hot:

screw the advertisers, cater to the fans, keep the game rolling for gods sake.

the more people watching, the more the sponsors will pay.

do short little ads during game down times like, replays, time outs, injuries, etc.

no more blocks of 30 second ads that we've seen before, shoved down our throats right when football is the most exciting.

soccer style.

tv time outs.  :hot:

screw the advertisers, cater to the fans, keep the game rolling for gods sake.

the more people watching, the more the sponsors will pay.

do short little ads during game down times like, replays, time outs, injuries, etc.

no more blocks of 30 second ads that we've seen before, shoved down our throats right when football is the most exciting.

soccer style.
Let companies sponsor everything in-game.

"That post route was brought to you by Delta Airlines. Delta, for wherever your route takes you."

"Picked off! And if you're tired of psoriasis picking of your skin, choose Taltz!"

Let companies sponsor everything in-game.

"That post route was brought to you by Delta Airlines. Delta, for wherever your route takes you."

"Picked off! And if you're tired of psoriasis picking of your skin, choose Taltz!"
Ha! I think there's momentum already in this direction.  Not just the sponsor lead-ins like your examples, but uniforms from all sports are slowly morphing into NASCAR jumpsuits with blanket coverage of sponsor patches.  Even my precious golf, some of these guys polo's look like billboards.

Didn't they initially have 30 seconds to review a play and then the monitor went black? If you can't make up your mind in 30 seconds then stick with the call on the field and move on. Or better yet, don't have the ref on the field go and look at all. Have a group of former officials in NY each be responsible for a game in real time and have them make the call on reviews and then call it in to the ref the result in 20 seconds. Get these guys off of the analysis telecast and in the booth reffing and speed it up for everyone.

I realize my view is very unique. The time never bothers me. I watch football most of the day Sunday. Cutting a few minutes off the game time would do zero to make it a better experience for me. I simply don’t care.

I realize my view is very unique. The time never bothers me. I watch football most of the day Sunday. Cutting a few minutes off the game time would do zero to make it a better experience for me. I simply don’t care.
I'm the opposite. I watch very little because I simply dont care, and it's become less watchable. There is more wasted time with the tv timeouts (which I understand) and replay (which get rid of).

Not filming a fly over or the anthem won't improve the speed of the game; that all happens before the game anyways, so if it's not on tv it still happened. 

Not filming the coin toss doeant speed the game up either. Again, it still happens. Maybe getting rid of the coin toss would help, but I'd be willing to bet that time is filled with an ad featuring a guy committing the crime of putting ketchup on his steak. 

Replay has made the game super long. And the ads/TV timeouts. One of those can't go away due to the monetary side of it. 

I'd like to see some delay of game calls when a team gets a turnover and runs 90 yards to celebrate in the end zone...    Same with a guy running for 10 seconds with more whistles blowing than the London Blitz.  They should flag Zeke on principal when he "feeds himself" after a 4 yard gain...same for the guys that roll the ball up the field after the play.

Other than that, I'm cool with it.

I hate the down is down rule in college. It's what separates Saturdays from Sundays. I don't watch Saturdays because I want to see utter explosiveness and downfield precision passing. Makes me tingle in a way the actual culture of football doesn't. Don't go putting your college in my pro! 

Vive la difference!
What does "utter explosiveness" and "downfield precision passing" have to do with anything? We're talking about people lying on the ground.

What does "utter explosiveness" and "downfield precision passing" have to do with anything? We're talking about people lying on the ground.
I think it was a hyperbolic way of expressing the love of differences and how both games emphasize different aspects of the game, but if you want to get nitpicky a about it, more guys dive for passes than fall. No way they should be down automatically. That's the dumb rule that takes away what happens after one dives in football. 

Hey look! Fifteen yard out and he dove untouched! Get up and run, baby!

IOW, you ain't down if they ain't there to prevent you from advancing, just like life.  

rockaction said:
I think it was a hyperbolic way of expressing the love of differences and how both games emphasize different aspects of the game, but if you want to get nitpicky a about it, more guys dive for passes than fall. No way they should be down automatically. That's the dumb rule that takes away what happens after one dives in football. 

Hey look! Fifteen yard out and he dove untouched! Get up and run, baby!

IOW, you ain't down if they ain't there to prevent you from advancing, just like life.  
Fine if you like the pro game better. But we're here in a thread on speeding up the pro game, and "down=down" would speed it up with no loss of excitement. Consider a play like the one which occurred yesterday, where CJ Prosise stumbled and fell, fumbled as he hit the ground, and had the resulting defensive TD overturned after several minutes of replay review because Prosise's foot had been barely touched while he was on his way down. With down=down that would be called down and you'd be back to football action immediately.

Andy Dufresne said:

Easy one. The Challenge system use to be what a 2mins and 30Secs and if they didn't come to a conclusion in that time the call stands. Now we are taking 10 mins to figure out how much time is left and because the dumb ref moved the ball to the wrong hash we now have to figure out Where Da F the ball is suppose to be. 

DropKick said:
I'd like to see some delay of game calls when a team gets a turnover and runs 90 yards to celebrate in the end zone...    Same with a guy running for 10 seconds with more whistles blowing than the London Blitz.  They should flag Zeke on principal when he "feeds himself" after a 4 yard gain...same for the guys that roll the ball up the field after the play.

Other than that, I'm cool with it.
Diving by QBs and WRs to get calls. 

The running the football back guys are taught to do that in case the call is overturned they can possible view it as a TD. I wish they would just allow play to continue then just look at a replay. 

I agree with your First down stuff. 

The replay challenges taking too long I put in my last post

coaches running on the field during a call (throw the flag and get them for delay of game)

Fine if you like the pro game better. But we're here in a thread on speeding up the pro game, and "down=down" would speed it up with no loss of excitement. Consider a play like the one which occurred yesterday, where CJ Prosise stumbled and fell, fumbled as he hit the ground, and had the resulting defensive TD overturned after several minutes of replay review because Prosise's foot had been barely touched while he was on his way down. With down=down that would be called down and you'd be back to football action immediately.
I agree that down being down would speed it up. You'd have no painstaking reviews of an opposing hand gracing the foot of an interceptor. I think it would cost too much in excitement and there is where we disagree. 

get rid of the player announcements on the broadcast. I think SNF is the one where they let the players talk, saying their name, what college they're from. Do I really need to hear Will Hernandez say he's from Lakeland High School Lancers, or something similar. just stop it. I don't need to know you went to Nebraska for college, that was 10 years ago, you're a 30 yr old lineman now. I simply can't stand that part of a broadcast, and especially SNF's take on the subject.. 

get rid of endzone celebrations I mean they're just the absolute worst thing for the sport - WAY worse than Nascar , in it's prime, switching to the Car of Tomorrow. wow thats New Coke bad. 

Andy Dufresne said:

i assumed this thread was going to be about the bellicheck system glitch where you can run another minute of clock by taking a delay of game and then a false start on 4th down prior to punting since the playclock resets to 25 and the game clock resumes running after each penalty

Dr. Dan said:
I'm the opposite. I watch very little because I simply dont care, and it's become less watchable. There is more wasted time with the tv timeouts (which I understand) and replay (which get rid of).

Not filming a fly over or the anthem won't improve the speed of the game; that all happens before the game anyways, so if it's not on tv it still happened. 

Not filming the coin toss doeant speed the game up either. Again, it still happens. Maybe getting rid of the coin toss would help, but I'd be willing to bet that time is filled with an ad featuring a guy committing the crime of putting ketchup on his steak. 

Replay has made the game super long. And the ads/TV timeouts. One of those can't go away due to the monetary side of it. 
How many huge errors has instantly replay overturned that helped the right team win? I feel like they incorrectly overturned more than they got right.

If you can’t overcome one bad call, maybe you should have played better. I wonder if the real reason for instant replay is to fit in more commercials. They’ve completely killed the flow of the game. 

get rid of the player announcements on the broadcast. I think SNF is the one where they let the players talk, saying their name, what college they're from. Do I really need to hear Will Hernandez say he's from Lakeland High School Lancers, or something similar. just stop it. I don't need to know you went to Nebraska for college, that was 10 years ago, you're a 30 yr old lineman now. I simply can't stand that part of a broadcast, and especially SNF's take on the subject.. 
I've always thought they shouldn't be able to say their college unless they have a degree from said college. 

You can slow down the video to make any play look the way you want it to.  I think the initial reason to allow replay was to overturn obviously wrong calls.  If you have to slow down to 1 frame a minute to try and decipher a call then it wasn't obviously wrong. 

My suggestion is to limit the playback speed to half speed (at the slowest) and give them 60 seconds.  If you cannot decide in that time then it wasn't obvious and the play on the field stands.  Keep the game moving. 

You can slow down the video to make any play look the way you want it to.  I think the initial reason to allow replay was to overturn obviously wrong calls.  If you have to slow down to 1 frame a minute to try and decipher a call then it wasn't obviously wrong. 

My suggestion is to limit the playback speed to half speed (at the slowest) and give them 60 seconds.  If you cannot decide in that time then it wasn't obvious and the play on the field stands.  Keep the game moving. 
Or...

1) Get rid of it entirely

2) Keep it but coaches can only challenge one play in any game.  Period.  No automatic reviews, no delays, nothing.  Save the challenge flag for the sole purpose or overturning a real mistake.  Use it too early on some non-sense, so be it.  Save it for that big play that never occurs, oh well.

Replay as it currently stands is worse than no replay at all.

Users who are viewing this thread