What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleavage: Why is it acceptable in the business setting? (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
First and foremost, let me say I'm not complaining about cleavage in the workplace.  However, from an existential perspective and in light of the #metoo movement, I'm wondering why it's not an issue in the workplace.  I understand the rights of women to feel attractive, but it seems to me there's a time and a place and the professional environment is not that place.

Discuss.  

First and foremost, let me say I'm not complaining about cleavage in the workplace.  However, from an existential perspective and in light of the #metoo movement, I'm wondering why it's not an issue in the workplace.  I understand the rights of women to feel attractive, but it seems to me there's a time and a place and the professional environment is not that place.

Discuss.  
Because no one wants to be the pervert than noticed said cleavage. If you complain, you are acknowledging you noticed it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer is that it’s not but for the reasons stated above, it’s difficult to address without leading to additional problems. 

My last company had women in almost every management position up and down my large group, and they would have those conversations if they were necessary. 

It should be different, but men have no more place questioning female truths, wondering why they're still dancing backwards in high heels, arguing their culpability in sexual politics or pointing out the things we're still better at than white people do questioning black folk about the value of thug culture & enjoying punishing white folk more than elevating their own & such. We acted too badly for too long to be impatient with the scales of justice, and the weak-willed men who didn't do their part in the home after their mates fully entered the work place set us back at least another gen for even asking. Believe me, i'd purely love to start the ball rolling on this, but nuh-uh...

Great question. We used to call the new movement towards cleavage the gentle assault of womanhood on our modern manners vibe. 

Short answer is that it’s not but for the reasons stated above, it’s difficult to address without leading to additional problems. 

My last company had women in almost every management position up and down my large group, and they would have those conversations if they were necessary. 
Really it's a messed up culture where people can wear things that could offend others, but if you comment about it you'll get in trouble for offending them. 

If you wear a shirt with an ok symbol you'll possibly get in trouble. But show the tatas? All good 👍🙂

What is the upside to anyone bringing it up? Regardless of the perspective of the person that is the one to bring it up.

1. Women don’t like being told how to dress

2. Most men like cleavage

So who is left to say anything about? 
I agree, but it just seems contradictory to say, "we want to be treated with the same dignity and respect as men in the workplace.  BTW, check out my rack."

A woman that I hired came into the office at the end of her first week wearing a blazer and a shirt.  It looked very nice, except the shirt was open and revealed her cleavage and bra.  As I said, it looked very nice.  I'm sitting there thinking "just look at her eyes, just look at her eyes, just look at her... damn it!  Did she pop a button?  Does she know?  LOOK AT HER EYES!  Do I say anything?  No, don't say anything.  I don't want to be sued.  Act like there is nothing wrong. How can she not know her bra is showing?  LOOK AT HER EYES!  Say something business like to make her leave my office."

The next week I bring up her clothing malfunction from Friday, and she tells me that showing the bra was in fashion.  And that ladies and gentlemen is how Casual Fridays turned into Slutty Fridays at the office. 

There's a guy in one of our offices who unbuttons his shirt to an uncomfortable number of buttons. We're talking at least 3 buttons here. It's like every day is Disco Friday to him.

It's both men and women's responsibility to be respectful, civil and professional in the work place. That includes choice of attire. If there are any issues then it needs to be filed with management and HR.
Don't cry about how, as an adult, you are unable to control your thoughts and/or actions because of how someone else is dressed.

A woman that I hired came into the office at the end of her first week wearing a blazer and a shirt.  It looked very nice, except the shirt was open and revealed her cleavage and bra.  As I said, it looked very nice.  I'm sitting there thinking "just look at her eyes, just look at her eyes, just look at her... damn it!  Did she pop a button?  Does she know?  LOOK AT HER EYES!  Do I say anything?  No, don't say anything.  I don't want to be sued.  Act like there is nothing wrong. How can she not know her bra is showing?  LOOK AT HER EYES!  Say something business like to make her leave my office."

The next week I bring up her clothing malfunction from Friday, and she tells me that showing the bra was in fashion.  And that ladies and gentlemen is how Casual Fridays turned into Slutty Fridays at the office. 
You hiring?

It's both men and women's responsibility to be respectful, civil and professional in the work place. That includes choice of attire. If there are any issues then it needs to be filed with management and HR.
Don't cry about how, as an adult, you are unable to control your thoughts and/or actions because of how someone else is dressed.
Sure.

As long as she doesn't complain about a casual look.

Cleavage is the expert level circle game. 

There's a guy in one of our offices who unbuttons his shirt to an uncomfortable number of buttons. We're talking at least 3 buttons here. It's like every day is Disco Friday to him.
I'm wearing a nice Ben Sherman shirt to work today that I got at one of those "discount" retailers like TJ Maxx or something at a ridiculously low price because the buttons aren't spaced correctly; that is, the 2nd button down is too close to the very top button, so it's not comfortable to button there... so I have it open to the 3rd button, which does show some skin (and hair :lol:  ).  

I'm wearing a nice Ben Sherman shirt to work today that I got at one of those "discount" retailers like TJ Maxx or something at a ridiculously low price because the buttons aren't spaced correctly; that is, the 2nd button down is too close to the very top button, so it's not comfortable to button there... so I have it open to the 3rd button, which does show some skin (and hair :lol:  ).  
:pics:

You ought to walk by his office with "Night Fever" booming from your phone :lol:   Ask him if he can get you a good deal on a can of paint.

I am a white male. I have learned that, as a result of this, I am not allowed to say ANYTHING about anyone's appearance at work. So I don't.

Doesn't matter if a woman has a 9 inch spider getting ready to crawl down the front of her shirt. If I bring it up, it means I was looking, so I don't bring it up.

Users who are viewing this thread