What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cardinals Backfield (1 Viewer)

SCT

Footballguy
I know these guys have been talked about in their individual player threads, but it seems like the mind boggling evolution of this rb corps needs a thread of it's own.  As a long time owner of DJ, Drake, and this year Edmonds, it it amazing how this worked out.   DJ was a bona fide stud with 18-26 points all of weeks 1-6 with the exception of one 8 point dud vs the ravens D.  Edmonds started putting up big points (18, 15) in weeks 5 and 6 even with DJ getting his with the backfield totaling closed to 40 points...then in DJ's first week out and Edmonds getting the backfield to himself he goes off for 38.  Meanwhile Drake was non-existent still in his third coaching regime with Miami, despite only needing to beat out Ballage for touches...heck, in preseason there was a while they tried real hard to make Ballage the man and keep Drake in a minimal role.   I was there when Drake was grading out top 5 in PFF end of 2017 and was telling everyone he had the goods and just didn't get the ball enough.  But after a third staff didn't want to make him the man, I decided I was wrong.  Similar with Duke Johnson...there must be something about him coaches don't like.   Then this trade happens and sure he goes off in that first special game against none other than the 49ers but I figured it was an anomaly and that as soon as DJ was healthy, let alone Edmonds too, Drake would take a back seat to both.  THIS.  HAS.  BEEN. NUTS.   I cannot believe that Drake has bullied DJ out of his job in this offense.

Leroy Hoard said:
Great point. The stats that we love don't always equate to what the coaches love.
I still think Edmunds would be putting up similar numbers to Drake, but they are obv riding the hot hand. It will be interesting to see if they sign Drake in the off-season—count me the camp that thinks they keep Edmunds and draft a RB early in the draft to team with him. As for DJ, can they deal him?

That run that some guy of twitter put up of DJ running made me think he was all too bright and brief a star or very injured. Drake and Edmonds both performed significantly better in that offense. Prediction-wise, you're not going to know until deep in the off-season, as the Cards have been really hinky (to say the least) with their injury report.  

Last edited by a moderator:
One factor to keep in mind - with Drake as a UFA, the Cardinals may stand to gain a compensatory pick if they let him go.  He was a third-round pick originally, so while the compensatory system is endlessly complicated, the Cardinals could gain a draft pick, depending on how the rest of their free agency pans out.

When I drafted David Johnson with my 1st pick, the only risk I thought of was injury risk. Coincidentally, I also drafted Drake-so, an accidental handcuff- and I'm not sure which turned out most different from expectations. I haven't played Johnson in weeks, but probably haven't played Drake enough. Not sure what I will do for Week 16. I'm pretty confident that he won't repeat last week's performance,

One factor to keep in mind - with Drake as a UFA, the Cardinals may stand to gain a compensatory pick if they let him go.  He was a third-round pick originally, so while the compensatory system is endlessly complicated, the Cardinals could gain a draft pick, depending on how the rest of their free agency pans out.
I don't know, if this team tanks again both the HC and GM could be gone so I think they would be better off using that DJ $ to fix all the other glaring problems much worse than RB. The way teams are spending for FA RB's(and the fact so few coaching staffs have seen Drake as a true #1 RB) I'm not sure he's going to get much of a deal anyway. ARZ looks like they are shaping up to have top 10 cap space in 2020 which makes sense with a QB on his rookie deal and I'd be spending if I were them.

Users who are viewing this thread