Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
McBokonon

The Lincoln Project - SuperPAC from Rick Wilson, Mr. Conway, Steve Schmidt, etc.

I tried a search and didn't see this discussed yet, but I assume most of you have seen something about this already. First, their NY Times article:

We Are Republicans, and We Want Trump Defeated

USA Today article about it if you can't get past the paywall of the above

Link to the Lincoln Project website

Never Trump Republicans have jumped from Twitter and other forms of commentary and started a Super PAC, targeting Senate candidates who backed Trump and Trumpism, as well as trying to sway Republican voters in other swing states who might not like where the Party is going has become today. I signed up to get updates at least, and might throw them some money. If anything, Rick Wilson is a vicious political spook who knows the Republican playbook and can use it when Democrats might be too timid. I think it could be another effective prong in what will need to be a multi-facted effort to take down Trump and his elected disciples.

So, let's use this thread to discuss the Lincoln Project, and even individual actions of those involved. They are (from their website):

GEORGE CONWAY:George Conway is a lawyer in New York City and a founding member of Checks & Balances, a group of conservative and libertarian lawyers organized to defend the rule of law.

REED GALEN: Reed Galen is an independent political strategist. He left the Republican Party in 2016 and has spent the last three years dedicated to the political reform movement, creating a better system for all voters.

JENNIFER HORN: Jennifer Horn is a communications strategist and former Chairman of the NH Republican Party. She was the first Republican woman in New Hampshire nominated for Federal office.

MIKE MADRID: Mike Madrid is a Republican strategist and former political director of the California Republican Party. He serves as a senior advisor to the California Latino Economic Institute.

STEVE SCHMIDT: Steve Schmidt is a national political strategist. He previously worked for President George W. Bush, Senator John McCain and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

RON STESLOW: Ron Steslow is a brand and marketing strategist and independent political consultant. Since leaving the GOP in 2016, he has worked to put voters first in our political system.

JOHN WEAVER: John is a national political strategist. He worked for President George H.W. Bush, Senator John McCain and Ohio Governor John Kasich.

RICK WILSON: Rick is a long time Republican media consultant and author of the New York Times bestselling book, Everything Trump Touches Dies.

• Like 3

Glad to see some Republicans standing up to Trump, but it might be too little, too late. Of course, Trump will be calling them "human scum" any moment now.

3 hours ago, snitwitch said:

don't fully understand the game conway is playing vis a vis his harpy wife. some type of hedge play? don't trust him at all

I’m kind of in this boat. It’s not that I don’t trust him, but more I don’t trust anyone at this point not to have an angle. 

The main problem I have is the same thing I had with a Joe Walsh (think that was his name).  As much as they hate Trump they like their team more and will not vote for Trump's opponent.   A non vote is just as good for Trump as voting for him.  Maybe they would with Biden but if anyone else makes it against Trump I don't see it at all.  So the strategy is to be find a conservative "replacement" and that is going to be even harder.  

4 hours ago, whoknew said:
22 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

They're really good at this.

I'm not sure if this ad will be as effective as the "Mourning In America Ad".

It's a bit too confrontational, almost in the vein of Hillary's "Deplorables" comment. That's the kind of thing that makes Trump supporters rally around him in the first place.

If the goal was to convince Confederate-flag sympathizers to abandon Trump, then I doubt that will happen after you called them "losers".

If the goal was to anger Trump, then I doubt that will happen because all he sees in that video is a bunch of his loyal fans being totally awesome.

Just now, [scooter] said:

It's a bit too confrontational, almost in the vein of Hillary's "Deplorables" comment. That's the kind of thing that makes Trump supporters rally around him in the first place.

If the goal was to convince Confederate-flag sympathizers to abandon Trump, then I doubt that will happen after you called them "losers".

If the goal was to anger Trump, then I doubt that will happen because all he sees in that video is a bunch of his loyal fans being totally awesome.

I think it can affect people in the middle who never really thought about the confederate flag, and how weird it is that there's a large segment of people who like to wave it even though it was the banner of slave-owning traitors. They might actually think about it for a second.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

The people who are still with Trump will rally around him for just about anything. Everything is explained away as being a hater, siding with the Dems, being a RINO, and part of the Deep State.

I think what the new video does is highlight the rising hate in America and how Trump has served to fuel it. At the very least, it shows that people who do think this way support Trump. "Do you want to be part of a group that includes these people" sort of message.

"What does it say that they're all in for Trump?"

Edited by Amused to Death

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, McBokonon said:

I think it can affect people in the middle who never really thought about the confederate flag, and how weird it is that there's a large segment of people who like to wave it even though it was the banner of slave-owning traitors. They might actually think about it for a second.

You have to do this stuff. This is where trump has dominated. He controls the narrative and nobody speaks.  These dang protests are all of a sudden about antifa and the news coverage has slanted that way.  All the crazy stuff he does needs to be shoved down his throat every commercial break

Edited by killface
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting on the one they make with him hiding in his bunker, turning out the lights in the white house.  Maybe they can have a cameo of Don Jr pulling out his elephant killing gun to protect pops

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Another amazing commercial. These guys are terrific. 

I wouldn't be patting their backs too hard, seeing as how their life's work was getting us to this point. "Sure, we riled up the rubes by stoking racial tension and religion so they would vote for tax cuts for the rich, we didn't think they would start running for office". 

Edited by huthut
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, huthut said:

I wouldn't be patting their backs too hard, seeing as how their life's work was getting us to this point. "Sure, we riled up the rubes by stoking racial tension and religion so they would vote for tax cuts for the rich, we didn't think they would start running for office". 

Could be worse. They are standing up against their party because the know their party elected ... a Trump. Which is more than a lot of the GOP can say.

I say we just thank them for their effort and encourage others.

5 minutes ago, huthut said:

They certainly deserve some of the blame for the mess we have now. Steve Schmidt in particular: isn’t he responsible for Sarah Palin? That was opening the Pandora’s box which ultimately led to Trump. 

But then I could also blame liberals for our current mess. I could blame Obama some. I could legitimately blame myself and many who think like I do. However, I believe that it’s far more important to judge people by how they react to their errors than to the errors themselves. These guys are reacting brilliantly. 

15 minutes ago, huthut said:
16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Another amazing commercial. These guys are terrific. 

Whether you agree with them politically or not, now or in the past, it's hard to argue that they aren't terrific at creating these political ads.

12 hours ago, huthut said:

Rick Wilson actually talked a bit about this on his podcast last week.  He acknowledged the mistake, the reason behind it, and how terribly wrong he was.  That doesn't fix this mess, but it's something that he can openly admit why they courted that vote, and what a mistake it was.

How can these guys churn out a better ad every single day than Democrats produce in an entire election cycle?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Popeyecon said:

How can these guys churn out a better ad every single day than Democrats produce in an entire election cycle?

Dude.  It's twice a week, tops.  OK, maybe three times some weeks...

Edited by Rich Conway

These GOP guys were OK with it when George Bush was torturing people and massmurdering innocent Iraqis.  They even worked on John McCain's Sarah Palin experiment.  They act like the Democratic Party's friend while ####ting on progressives and making sure the party doesn't actually move left.  Now they get to cash in on the antitrump grift while getting stroked for their "principles."  

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

These GOP guys were OK with it when George Bush was torturing people and massmurdering innocent Iraqis.  They even worked on John McCain's Sarah Palin experiment.  They act like the Democratic Party's friend while ####ting on progressives and making sure the party doesn't actually move left.  Now they get to cash in on the antitrump grift while getting stroked for their "principles."  

It’s hilarious to watch Democrats get in bed with these neocons.

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

But are they right?

I don't think its a grift to be anti Trump at all.

Do you guys see these ads regularly on cable TV? Are they shown regionally to a target audience?

I only get one PBS station, so I only see These ads here.

Im just wondering how much exposure they get.

4 minutes ago, dozer said:

Do you guys see these ads regularly on cable TV? Are they shown regionally to a target audience?

They target them in swing states and often during shows that would skew conservative. They even aired at least once during Tucker Carlson

11 minutes ago, McBokonon said:
16 minutes ago, dozer said:

They target them in swing states and often during shows that would skew conservative.

On a related note: Disney-owned TV station in North Carolina refuses to run Lincoln Project ad

42 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

They even aired at least once during Tucker Carlson

I have seen them occasionally on FOX. They are easy to miss amongst the commercials for the Hurrycane, the magic hat that stops hair loss, boner pills, gold coins and survivalist food packs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Popeyecon said:

Trump does most of the work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

18 hours ago, Widbil83 said:

It’s hilarious to watch Democrats get in bed with these neocons.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• Like 1

Sorry to those clicking on the thread bump hoping for a new ad.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-camp-runs-ads-d-002409482.html

George Conway (no relation) notes that the group intentionally ran some of these ads in DC (a market with no electoral relevance, as DC, MD, and VA aren't swing states) just so Trump would see them on TV.  Trump's campaign responded by running his own ads so their boss wouldn't feel so frustrated when he watches TV.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 6

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

Sorry to those clicking on the thread bump hoping for a new ad.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-camp-runs-ads-d-002409482.html

George Conway (no relation) notes that the group intentionally ran some of these ads in DC (a market with no electoral relevance, as DC, MD, and VA aren't swing states) just so Trump would see them on TV.  Trump's campaign responded by running his own ads so their boss wouldn't feel so frustrated when he watches TV.

How sensitive is his ego? Also, has he tried not watching TV and doing his job correctly?

5 minutes ago, Kal El said:

How sensitive is his ego? Also, has he tried not watching TV and doing his job correctly?

Those are both rhetorical questions, right?

17 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Those are both rhetorical questions, right?

Pretty much, because I feel if we tried to actually answer, we'd get timeouts for it.