What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Approval Increasing, Support for Impeachment falling (1 Viewer)

jon_mx

Footballguy
Very predictable results......

Trump Approval Inches Up, While Support for Impeachment Dips

BY JUSTIN MCCARTHY

45% approve of Trump's job performance, marking his third consecutive increase

Support for impeachment still contentious, but continues to dip, now at 46%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating has inched up again and is now at 45%. The president's ratings have increased six percentage points since the House of Representatives opened an impeachment inquiry against him in the fall.

The president's latest approval rating is from a Dec. 2-15 poll, conducted as the Democratic-controlled House held hearings on whether Trump should be impeached. The House is likely to vote to impeach the president on Wednesday, though Trump's removal from office is unlikely in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Approval of the president's performance remains high among Republicans (89%) and low among Democrats (8%). Less than half of political independents approve, but the current 42% is up from 34% at the start of the impeachment hearings and matches their highest rating of Trump so far.

Trump's latest job rating is on the high end of the relatively tight range of 35% to 46% approval he has received since taking office, and marks the fifth time he has reached 45% or higher during his presidency. His approval stretched to 46% only once, in May of this year, when a flurry of positive economic news coincided with the issuing of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report.

Americans Still Divided on Impeachment, but Support Has Fallen Slightly

Americans remain split on whether to impeach and remove Trump from office, but the percentage who support these legislative actions has dipped slightly each time Gallup has polled on the matter since October.

Currently, 46% support impeachment and removal, down six percentage points from the first reading after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the impeachment inquiry. Meanwhile, 51% oppose impeachment and removal -- up five percentage points over the same period.

Very predictable results......

Trump Approval Inches Up, While Support for Impeachment Dips

BY JUSTIN MCCARTHY

45% approve of Trump's job performance, marking his third consecutive increase

Support for impeachment still contentious, but continues to dip, now at 46%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating has inched up again and is now at 45%. The president's ratings have increased six percentage points since the House of Representatives opened an impeachment inquiry against him in the fall.

The president's latest approval rating is from a Dec. 2-15 poll, conducted as the Democratic-controlled House held hearings on whether Trump should be impeached. The House is likely to vote to impeach the president on Wednesday, though Trump's removal from office is unlikely in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Approval of the president's performance remains high among Republicans (89%) and low among Democrats (8%). Less than half of political independents approve, but the current 42% is up from 34% at the start of the impeachment hearings and matches their highest rating of Trump so far.

Trump's latest job rating is on the high end of the relatively tight range of 35% to 46% approval he has received since taking office, and marks the fifth time he has reached 45% or higher during his presidency. His approval stretched to 46% only once, in May of this year, when a flurry of positive economic news coincided with the issuing of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report.

Americans Still Divided on Impeachment, but Support Has Fallen Slightly

Americans remain split on whether to impeach and remove Trump from office, but the percentage who support these legislative actions has dipped slightly each time Gallup has polled on the matter since October.

Currently, 46% support impeachment and removal, down six percentage points from the first reading after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the impeachment inquiry. Meanwhile, 51% oppose impeachment and removal -- up five percentage points over the same period.
Wow, never saw this coming

Meanwhile, denial is setting in.......

CNN's chief legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin was in disbelief on Tuesday after his network's own poll showed a sharp decline in support of President Trump's impeachment among Democrats, insisting the findings were "wrong."

The poll, conducted last week, showed support slipping in comparison to November with only 45 percent of independents backing the impeachment and removal of President Trump versus 47 percent last month. However, there was a big 13-point shift among Democrats; 77 percent backed removal, down from 90 percent in November.

This thing with the polls has been a concerted effort for at least a week now? I guess I just have some thoughts:

• It's the same results as Fox. Note, this is impeach and remove. Fox had it as 49 impeach and remove, this is 46. Impeach only is probably close to the 54% number Fox has, but it wasn't asked.
  • But LOL 46% wanting removal is absolutely awful for any President. That is an insanely terrible result for Trump.
  • If the point is, ya shouldn't've impeached, what's the result of Dems in Congress doing absolutely nothing in terms of key constituents like women, blacks, progressives, etc, who they need to show up?
  • The number among Indies is 48% Yes impeach & remove, 49% don't. That's Independents.
  • With women it's running 55% Yes impeach and remove, 41% no. With non-whites it's 65-31.
  • Nixon at this stage - it's in the results - was at 44% in the closest poll after impeachment began. Clinton was at 29%. This is 46% for Trump.
  • Brer Rabbit covered this a long time ago.

Polls have been rolled to out to explain this is a disaster for Dems, that Trump has 'em just where he wants 'em... - Jon, look at that letter he wrote. You're not a fan of the guy, we know that - that is a 100% full scale Defcon 5 freakout. That is a worried guy. Tonight should be volcanic.

This thing with the polls has been a concerted effort for at least a week now? I guess I just have some thoughts:

• It's the same results as Fox. Note, this is impeach and remove. Fox had it as 49 impeach and remove, this is 46. Impeach only is probably close to the 54% number Fox has, but it wasn't asked.
  • But LOL 46% wanting removal is absolutely awful for any President. That is an insanely terrible result for Trump.
  • If the point is, ya shouldn't've impeached, what's the result of Dems in Congress doing absolutely nothing in terms of key constituents like women, blacks, progressives, etc, who they need to show up?
  • The number among Indies is 48% Yes impeach & remove, 49% don't. That's Independents.
  • With women it's running 55% Yes impeach and remove, 41% no. With non-whites it's 65-31.
  • Nixon at this stage - it's in the results - was at 44% in the closest poll after impeachment began. Clinton was at 29%. This is 46% for Trump.
  • Brer Rabbit covered this a long time ago.
Trump's approval ratings, while pitiful are just one point below his all-time high.

Meanwhile CNN is showing the Deomcrats support for removal has dropped from 90 percent to 77 percent.  Spin as you wish, but Trump has had a very good last few weeks.  

Polls have been rolled to out to explain this is a disaster for Dems, that Trump has 'em just where he wants 'em... - Jon, look at that letter he wrote. You're not a fan of the guy, we know that - that is a 100% full scale Defcon 5 freakout. That is a worried guy. Tonight should be volcanic.
Democrats are losing this debate even with Trump handling it like an idiot.  

Trump's approval ratings, while pitiful are just one point below his all-time high.

Meanwhile CNN is showing the Deomcrats support for removal has dropped from 90 percent to 77 percent.  Spin as you wish, but Trump has had a very good last few weeks.  
One point off his all time high, you say? Maybe he should try doing the right thing for once.

Yes, which was in April. Then what did he do? he went and tried to extort Ukraine. read the guy's pre-presidential history some time, this is his MO.

Whoah, no spin here. Look at your own poll - Gallup has Dems at 85-13 for impeach and remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around March or April is the first time we will be able to start assessing how the impeachment will affect next November. I still believe that by the time this is all over it will be very bad for Trump and the Republicans. But nobody knows for certain. 

Yes, which was in April. Then what did he do? he went and tried to extort Ukraine. read the guy's pre-presidential history some time, this is his MO.

Whoah, no spin here. Look at your own poll - Gallup has Dems at 85-13 for impeach and remove.
Support from Dems for removal has FALLEN 13 points in the most recent CNN poll.   Not a good trend. 

Support from Dems for removal has FALLEN 13 points in the most recent CNN poll.   Not a good trend. 
Look at what you just wrote. I'm sorry, if you're a Dem decision maker you're going to walk into a room and say - 'fellas, ladies, I have bad news - only 77% of our base wants this to happen. We should slam on the breaks now.'

You would do that?

Across 15 battleground states which could decide the election in 2020, views about impeaching and removing Trump are just as divided as they are nationally. In these states -- all of which were decided by 8 points or less in 2016 -- 46% say Trump should be impeached and removed, while 45% say that he should not. But residents of these states also lean toward believing Trump did improperly use his office to gain political advantage in next year's election: 50% say yes, 45% no.
- CNN.

Seriously, this would make you stop?

The NBC/WSJ poll, also just released, tells a little different story: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/house/475195-poll-voters-deeply-divided-on-impeachment-ahead-of-house-vote%3famp

1. 48% in favor, 48 against% 

2. 50% of independents in favor, which is a tick upward, and a 9 point differential: terrible for Trump. 

3. 70% of the public wants witnesses at the Senate trial, including 64% of Republicans. 

Again it’s hard to read this stuff. We just don’t know. Personally I think there’s a sizable number of people opposed to impeachment at this point because they figure the Senate is just going to acquit him anyhow so why go through all of this? But NOBODY KNOWS. 

USA Today poll shows Trump now beats all dem candidates on an individual basis.  Biden by 3, Wall Street Pete by 10.
Looks like his impropriety with Ukraine has paid off. And the Republicans in the Senate won't punish him for it or hold him accountable, again. The phrase Constitutional crisis has been thrown out often this Administration, but this here is the clearest example of it.

One thing that does not surprise me is that Trump’s approval rating has gone up. I’m betting it’s almost completely among Republicans, because they’re unifying behind him. 

Here’s my reasoning: about a month ago Trump had an 80% support among Republicans- slightly lower than normal for him (he averages around 85%) but incredibly high compared to any other President in the history of polling. Yet 90% of Republicans are opposed to impeachment. So I figure that extra 10% goes into his approval rating as the GOP rallies around him. 

If I’m correct about this then there will be a huge drop off about a month or two  AFTER the Senate acquits, depending on a couple of other factors, the main one being who the Democratic nominee is going to be. So this is why I wrote that March or April will be the appropriate time to start looking at this stuff. 

Whether it's 55-45 or 45-55, why any thinking person would find this a reason to celebrate is beyond me. If our discourse has become so distorted and polluted that "alternative facts" trump reality that hardly seems cheerworthy.

Republicans have proven there is no level of egregious behavior that would merit them holding the President accountable and the Democrats had to draw the line somewhere. At least when "The Rise and Fall of the American Experiment" is written there will be a record of resistance.
Nobody is celebrating, just pointing to news that nobody here wants to hear.  But you are right, that is really doesn't matter all the much between 45 or 55 percent.   Support for impeachment should really be north of 60 percent.  A majority is enough to elect someone else, but not enough to support impeachment. 

Nobody is celebrating, just pointing to news that nobody here wants to hear.  But you are right, that is really doesn't matter all the much between 45 or 55 percent.   Support for impeachment should really be north of 60 percent.  A majority is enough to elect someone else, but not enough to support impeachment. 
You do realize that nobody has ever gotten support for impeachment to 60% ever, right? That 60% also only applies to the Senate, not the general public.

All these polls tell me is that there's a strong correlation between activity/major events in the impeachment process and public perception of the desirability of impeachment. It's not surprising at all that sentiment for it rose during the proceedings and has fallen off now that there aren't daily happenings. It'll be interesting to see how it moves in response to the vote here, and then if/when things kick into gear again.

Whether it's 55-45 or 45-55, why any thinking person would find this a reason to celebrate is beyond me. If our discourse has become so distorted and polluted that "alternative facts" trump reality that hardly seems cheerworthy.

Republicans have proven there is no level of egregious behavior that would merit them holding the President accountable and the Democrats had to draw the line somewhere. At least when "The Rise and Fall of the American Experiment" is written there will be a record of resistance.
Right.  The Democrats are the ones with the moral high ground.  :doh:

I'd bring out the evidence that I had that exonerated me. Trump doesn't have that, so he backed himself into a corner.
Maybe he will bring it out in the trial in the Senate but he really doesn't need to do any more since the Dems have what amounts to almost nothing.

Besides, the House Democrats weren't interested in evidence and fairness.  That was blatantly obvious.

Maybe he will bring it out in the trial in the Senate but he really doesn't need to do any more since the Dems have what amounts to almost nothing.
I highly doubt it. He's so obsessed with his image that if he had anything, he'd have brought it out by now.

Not surprising at all.  Americans can see this for what it is, a sham.  It is purely political and the Dems have failed to show Trump committed an impeachable offense.  Dems are disgraceful and without morals.  They will be punished for their partisanship by putting party over country next November.

I highly doubt it. He's so obsessed with his image that if he had anything, he'd have brought it out by now.
That's the problem. Lots of "I THINK he did this...", "I HEARD he did this...", "Someone who I know heard it from...", "I assumed..."

Lots of assumptions and determining intent, but no actual evidence.

You do realize that nobody has ever gotten support for impeachment to 60% ever, right? That 60% also only applies to the Senate, not the general public.
57% and climbing wanted Nixon removed when he resigned, and had an approval rating of 24-25 percent during the 10 months prior.  Trump is no where near that level and Nixon would of hot the 60 percent level had it stayed on.  

57% and climbing wanted Nixon removed when he resigned, and had an approval rating of 24-25 percent during the 10 months prior.  Trump is no where near that level and Nixon would of hot the 60 percent level had it stayed on.  
57=/= 60. Even rounding that number up in any mathematical formula is going to give terrible results.

I'm not even sure how that even relates to this thread.

Besides, how would you feel if you were being railroaded?
Well, it does - because the assumption for this campaign about polls that's been going for a week has been about the proposition that Dems should be worried. And I'm saying look at that very concrete thing that says the President is actually the one who is very, very worried.

Hm, I know a little about that (not myself, others) and I'd say it leads to drink and desperation. However I can also tell you that very guilty people freak the hell out like what the President did, railroaded people do not actually act like that, they get depressed.

Only Trump supporters could spin < 50% approval ratings and 50% wanting impeached and removed as a good thing.

Do Trump supporters think that the 50% who don't want him impeached AND removed will all vote for him?  Cause you can bet that the 50% who wants him impeached AND removed will be voting against him bigly. 

Users who are viewing this thread