Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tyreek and Destroy

Terrible stat change causes me to lose semi final game

Recommended Posts

When a stat change was implemented and Avonta Maddox was credited with a sack on the last play of the game in the Eagles/Washington game this week it caused me to lose a semi final game.

On the play, Dwayne Haskins is clearly attempting to pitch the ball backwards to keep the play alive.  If it had gone forward, it would have been ruled an incomplete pass.

The announcers state "he flips the ball away" .. "trying to hope something good happens".

If he was in the grasp, and recorded as a sack, then it shouldn't have been ruled a fumble.

It clearly wasn't a strip sack.

Terrible stat change.

 

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/highlight-scoop-and-score-td-at-the-buzzer-nigel-bradham-is-on-the-dot-for-eagle

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a huge wager on Washington +9 so I feel your pain.  But if a dude is getting tackled and he laterals it backwards for a fumble they always count that as a tackle or, in this case since it was the QB behind the LoS on a passing play, a sack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes.   I recall winning a championship on a stat correction a few years ago.  It was Carlos Dunlap... gave him a sack on top of a tackle after they determined it was behind the line of scrimmage by a few inches probably.  :lol:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

gave him a sack on top of a tackle after they determined it was behind the line of scrimmage by a few inches probably.  :lol:  

a game of inches

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on scoring rules it was scored correctly.  It sucks but it is the correct scoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gally said:

Based on scoring rules it was scored correctly.  It sucks but it is the correct scoring. 

In other words it was the initial mistake and not the final result.  I still feel for the guy though since he was told he won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all tackles for loss of a QB are sacks.  If the play is viewed by the scorer as a QB rush it is a tackle for loss but no sack.  I suppose a pitch attempt was deemed to qualify as a passing rather than rushing play, but the OP has more of a judgment call issue here than many are allowing.

It’s not entirely cut and dried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Not all tackles for loss of a QB are sacks.  If the play is viewed by the scorer as a QB rush it is a tackle for loss but no sack.  I suppose a pitch attempt was deemed to qualify as a passing rather than rushing play, but the OP has more of a judgment call issue here than many are allowing.

It’s not entirely cut and dried.

The play in question was entirely cut and dried.  They were trying to throw a hail marry.  It was clearly a passing play.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a game on the play where Nick Saban threw the red flag but his rag arm couldn't get it far enough for the ref to see it...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that sucks dude.

 

That reminds me of my finest moment as a commissioner: we once had this extremely annoying and universally hated owner who’s no longer in the league. Several years ago he won his semi-final matchup with Kurt Warner at QB when he was with the cardinals. This nimrod won by like 5 points. Warner had a TD pass changed to a rushing TD for Anquon Boldin. It was with great relish I got to call this ##### up and explain how he’d lost his game. It was hard to keep the outright glee out of my voice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think losing on a stat change is bad?  Try this on for size...

1993 - I was in the Air Force, stationed in England.  This was before the internet was huge.  Scoring was done using box scores from newspapers.  I drafted CLE WR Michael Jackson.  He started with 3 catches for 33 yards and a TD in week 1.  After his 12.3 points in week 1, he puts up a few goose eggs so I drop him.  By the time anyone in the league found out Jackson reverted back to his legal last name (Dyson), the commish said he wasn't going to do anything.  Someone had claimed him off the wire after week 2, when he went 5/105/1 under his new last name.  He went on to finish WR14 that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

You think losing on a stat change is bad?  Try this on for size...

1993 - I was in the Air Force, stationed in England.  This was before the internet was huge.  Scoring was done using box scores from newspapers.  I drafted CLE WR Michael Jackson.  He started with 3 catches for 33 yards and a TD in week 1.  After his 12.3 points in week 1, he puts up a few goose eggs so I drop him.  By the time anyone in the league found out Jackson reverted back to his legal last name (Dyson), the commish said he wasn't going to do anything.  Someone had claimed him off the wire after week 2, when he went 5/105/1 under his new last name.  He went on to finish WR14 that year.

Michael Dywane Jackson Dyson.  It's a good thing he didn't choose to be called Dywane Dyson.  That is the name of a serial killer if I've ever heard one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played in a league where you only start one IDP.  Seems tough.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year the NFL correct a fumble charged to Zeke Elliot, and the restoration of 2 points to his score resulted in a change in winner of a semifinal game on a Thursday morning. Absolutely crazy but the owner who wound up getting the loss accepted it since we do play a stat-driven game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, guess what!? When a stat change was implemented and Avonta Maddox was credited with a sack on the last play of the game in the Eagles/Washington game this week it caused me to win my semi final game!

Whoot!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.