What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrible stat change causes me to lose semi final game (1 Viewer)

When a stat change was implemented and Avonta Maddox was credited with a sack on the last play of the game in the Eagles/Washington game this week it caused me to lose a semi final game.

On the play, Dwayne Haskins is clearly attempting to pitch the ball backwards to keep the play alive.  If it had gone forward, it would have been ruled an incomplete pass.

The announcers state "he flips the ball away" .. "trying to hope something good happens".

If he was in the grasp, and recorded as a sack, then it shouldn't have been ruled a fumble.

It clearly wasn't a strip sack.

Terrible stat change.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/highlight-scoop-and-score-td-at-the-buzzer-nigel-bradham-is-on-the-dot-for-eagle

I had a huge wager on Washington +9 so I feel your pain.  But if a dude is getting tackled and he laterals it backwards for a fumble they always count that as a tackle or, in this case since it was the QB behind the LoS on a passing play, a sack.

Yikes.   I recall winning a championship on a stat correction a few years ago.  It was Carlos Dunlap... gave him a sack on top of a tackle after they determined it was behind the line of scrimmage by a few inches probably.  :lol:   

Not all tackles for loss of a QB are sacks.  If the play is viewed by the scorer as a QB rush it is a tackle for loss but no sack.  I suppose a pitch attempt was deemed to qualify as a passing rather than rushing play, but the OP has more of a judgment call issue here than many are allowing.

It’s not entirely cut and dried.

Not all tackles for loss of a QB are sacks.  If the play is viewed by the scorer as a QB rush it is a tackle for loss but no sack.  I suppose a pitch attempt was deemed to qualify as a passing rather than rushing play, but the OP has more of a judgment call issue here than many are allowing.

It’s not entirely cut and dried.
The play in question was entirely cut and dried.  They were trying to throw a hail marry.  It was clearly a passing play.

I lost a game on the play where Nick Saban threw the red flag but his rag arm couldn't get it far enough for the ref to see it...

Well that sucks dude.

That reminds me of my finest moment as a commissioner: we once had this extremely annoying and universally hated owner who’s no longer in the league. Several years ago he won his semi-final matchup with Kurt Warner at QB when he was with the cardinals. This nimrod won by like 5 points. Warner had a TD pass changed to a rushing TD for Anquon Boldin. It was with great relish I got to call this ##### up and explain how he’d lost his game. It was hard to keep the outright glee out of my voice. 

You think losing on a stat change is bad?  Try this on for size...

1993 - I was in the Air Force, stationed in England.  This was before the internet was huge.  Scoring was done using box scores from newspapers.  I drafted CLE WR Michael Jackson.  He started with 3 catches for 33 yards and a TD in week 1.  After his 12.3 points in week 1, he puts up a few goose eggs so I drop him.  By the time anyone in the league found out Jackson reverted back to his legal last name (Dyson), the commish said he wasn't going to do anything.  Someone had claimed him off the wire after week 2, when he went 5/105/1 under his new last name.  He went on to finish WR14 that year.

You think losing on a stat change is bad?  Try this on for size...

1993 - I was in the Air Force, stationed in England.  This was before the internet was huge.  Scoring was done using box scores from newspapers.  I drafted CLE WR Michael Jackson.  He started with 3 catches for 33 yards and a TD in week 1.  After his 12.3 points in week 1, he puts up a few goose eggs so I drop him.  By the time anyone in the league found out Jackson reverted back to his legal last name (Dyson), the commish said he wasn't going to do anything.  Someone had claimed him off the wire after week 2, when he went 5/105/1 under his new last name.  He went on to finish WR14 that year.
Michael Dywane Jackson Dyson.  It's a good thing he didn't choose to be called Dywane Dyson.  That is the name of a serial killer if I've ever heard one.

Last year the NFL correct a fumble charged to Zeke Elliot, and the restoration of 2 points to his score resulted in a change in winner of a semifinal game on a Thursday morning. Absolutely crazy but the owner who wound up getting the loss accepted it since we do play a stat-driven game.

Users who are viewing this thread