What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How old and How - Santa? (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
ChiefD###'s post in a thread got me thinking....

How old were you when you discovered there was no Santa?  And how did you find out?

For me, I think I was 10.  Every year, like many kids, we left a note for Santa alongside his cookies and milk.  And Santa would always leave a note back.  This particular year, the Santa note was in a very recognizable handwriting (my Dad's... very recognizable).   I was like "huh, why's the Santa note written by Dad?  OHHHHH...".

What say you, since 'tis the season?

I don't remember what age other than it was grade school and some of the other kids were saying Santa wasn't real.  I went home and asked my old man if Santa was fake.  He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Yeah.  Whatta ya want me to say?" and then walked away.  

I have no idea how old or how I found out - just remember it "being obvious". What I do remember is that I hid the fact that I :knew: from my parents for years. My younger sister is the one that broke the news to my parents that we :knew:. If not for her, my parents might still not know that I was in on it.

Funny thing is that my kids did the same thing. I was sure my oldest :knew: long before she ever said anything. It was actually my younger daughter that broke the news to us and my older daughter acted shocked to find out. 

My wife talks about how she was in elementary school and the subject was being discussed at lunch.  And no one was 100% sure but they felt like they might be onto something.  And they were like, "Ok.  I know for a fact the Tooth Fairy is not real.  And I'm pretty sure the Easter Bunny is fake, too.  But I'm still thinking Santa is real." 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as kids are arguing whether these people are real like it's a political debate on CNN.

I have no idea how old or how I found out - just remember it "being obvious". What I do remember is that I hid the fact that I :knew: from my parents for years. My younger sister is the one that broke the news to my parents that we :knew:. If not for her, my parents might still not know that I was in on it.

Funny thing is that my kids did the same thing. I was sure my oldest :knew: long before she ever said anything. It was actually my younger daughter that broke the news to us and my older daughter acted shocked to find out. 
Same here I was the oldest and was probably 3rd or 4th grade before I knew but I played along for a few years.  It part due to my younger siblings but mainly to keep the gifts rolling in.

I was pretty young, I'm guessing around seven.  My brother was a year older and extremely smart.  An old lady at church asked us "Do you still believe in Sanny Claus?" (She actually said "Sanny").  My brother used logic to determine that her question could only mean that at some time in the future we would not believe in Santa, therefore he was not real.  My seven-year-old brain could not make the logic leap, but he insisted he was right.  Later, we went searching for presents and found the hiding place.  I was convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.  I was home sick and Oprah was on TV.  The topic was something like, "Is it okay to lie to your kids about Santa?"  I had my doubts at that point, but was pissed to confirm it.  

I kept up the act that I still believed for a few years in fear of not getting any presents.  

7 years old. Wanted Santa to bring me a train set. Found the train set under mom's bed about a week before Christmas. 

Edit - I also remember crying when I realized the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I was 8 (growing up in NY) there used to be a phone service you could call in to get ‘Santa updates...where he was at on the planet.

He spent 25 minutes in the DC area...I did the math.  Poof...

TheIronSheik said:
My wife talks about how she was in elementary school and the subject was being discussed at lunch.  And no one was 100% sure but they felt like they might be onto something.  And they were like, "Ok.  I know for a fact the Tooth Fairy is not real.  And I'm pretty sure the Easter Bunny is fake, too.  But I'm still thinking Santa is real." 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as kids are arguing whether these people are real like it's a political debate on CNN.
The thing is that the Santa debate will be conducted more intelligently than the CNN political debates......

Not sure on age 9-10 seems like the right. My mom was really good at hiding it all and she was pretty committed the charade, plus I had a younger sister who was still in the prime Santa age range. I didn’t find out so much as I realized it. My mom gave me a Sears catalogue and some Toys R Us ads and asked me to pick out some stuff I wanted to ask Santa for and it just dawned on me that obviously my mom was buying the stuff and Santa was ridiculous. I asked her to be honest with me about it and she reluctantly told me the truth but promised me not to tell my sister. 

I was 8 when I knew and remember telling my Grandma that I knew he wasn’t real.  She said “well that means you won’t be getting anymore gifts from Santa then”.  I pretended to believe for 2 more years.  Lol.  

Users who are viewing this thread