What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Question (1 Viewer)

notoriousbill

Footballguy
I have run a league for over 25 years with the same owners for most part.  2 years ago we changed a rule (by vote) to eliminate the waiver wire from non-playoff teams.  The non-playoff teams play in a Consolation Bracket for the title of the Toilet Bowl.  The winner of Toilet Bowl gets $15.  It was intended just to keep more teams active throughout the season.

2 owners claim that they should be permitted to do waivers because "technically" the Consolation Bracket is a form of playoff.  Semantics aside, the bottom line is they are non-playoff teams playing for a minimal prize.

What are your thoughts on not allowing non-playoff teams from accessing the waiver wire?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can change anything right now but I would change that rule in the future to allow any teams playing for something ($15 is still something) to be able to access the waiver wire. 

I don't think you can change anything right now but I would change that rule in the future to allow any teams playing for something ($15 is still something) to be able to access the waiver wire. 
Or just eliminate the $15 payout and play for "fun"?  That's what a few owners suggested.

Or just eliminate the $15 payout and play for "fun"?  That's what a few owners suggested.
But why eliminate it?  It keeps a couple more teams involved and gives them something to root for.  The point is to have fun and having more teams involved in meaningful games increases the fun.  Eliminating it seems unnecessary since you already have it. 

But why eliminate it?  It keeps a couple more teams involved and gives them something to root for.  The point is to have fun and having more teams involved in meaningful games increases the fun.  Eliminating it seems unnecessary since you already have it. 
Because the waiver wire is closed to non-playoff teams and the argument for opening it up for a $15 prize penalizes the playoff teams.  

Basically the decision needs to be made whether to open or close the WW to non-playoff teams.  I agree the no-playoff teams are playing for a prize (nothing compared to the playoff bracket prizes).

We haven't had any issues up until this year as the 2 teams complaining are non-playoff teams.  The previous 2 years, they were in playoffs and not a peep....

In the end, the league will have to vote on it as we did when we implemented it.

I was just gauging the FFG forums how other league handle the WW and non-playoff teams having access or not.

Thanks for dialogue!

If you voted to not have waivers for non-playoff teams, then you need to keep it that way until it gets voted to allow it.  Or start charging for waiver wire transactions, smarter drafting and more money in the pool for the winners.

As many others have stated, there is a prize (regardless of how trivial it is) and people are going to want to keep playing for whatever they can get. Maybe there was some confusion on how this would play out or people didn't really consider about how terrible it would be not to be able to actually participate in the final few weeks.

I think this year is complete and you finish the season with the way it was voted on. Open up the discussion on how your future seasons will go though, should be positive discussion for such a seasoned league of owners. 

Is this a keeper or redraft league?  redraft then I say go by the league vote.  Keeper league, all owners should get the chance to add a player they could keep for next year.  Or make it that any player picked up during playoff's cant be kept

It’s 15 bucks. No need for waivers. It’s the same for everyone. Keep as is.
It's been like this for 3 years but the only 2 teams complaining didn't qualify for playoffs THIS year.  Previous years, they did and not a peep...

This is a redraft league BTW.

I asked the league to put it to a vote but nobody, including the 2 teams complaining, have done so yet.  May just be a case of complaining to complain.  IDK

Thanks for all of the replies.

It's been like this for 3 years but the only 2 teams complaining didn't qualify for playoffs THIS year.  Previous years, they did and not a peep...

This is a redraft league BTW.

I asked the league to put it to a vote but nobody, including the 2 teams complaining, have done so yet.  May just be a case of complaining to complain.  IDK

Thanks for all of the replies.
Could it be that since they were in the playoffs they didn't realize that teams going for the $15 prize weren't able to pick up FA's so they didn't know they should have complained?  If I was never in that position it probably wouldn't occur to me that the teams fighting for that prize weren't eligible for FA acquisition. 

What are you voting on?  Whether or not teams going for the $15 should be considered playoff teams?  That is really the only interpretation that needs voting on at this point.  You shouldn't be voting to actually change the rule itself at this point in the season. 

A good compromise would be to  just let them pick up players off the waivers after the playoff teams.  Kind of a middle ground since there is a discrepancy of the interpretation of "playoff team". 

Gally said:
Could it be that since they were in the playoffs they didn't realize that teams going for the $15 prize weren't able to pick up FA's so they didn't know they should have complained?  If I was never in that position it probably wouldn't occur to me that the teams fighting for that prize weren't eligible for FA acquisition. 

What are you voting on?  Whether or not teams going for the $15 should be considered playoff teams?  That is really the only interpretation that needs voting on at this point.  You shouldn't be voting to actually change the rule itself at this point in the season. 

A good compromise would be to  just let them pick up players off the waivers after the playoff teams.  Kind of a middle ground since there is a discrepancy of the interpretation of "playoff team". 
Voting for next year.  This season is in the books and following rules set forth at draft.  

Funny thing is, both teams voted years ago for the rule how it is written....

No they voted on it.  

This question wasn't asked to change anything this year, only moving forward.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Rules are never changed once season starts.

The interpretation of a playoff team is what was questioned even though the rules are VERY clear regarding this interpretation.  

Thanks again for responses, it helps get perspectives of others with no vested interest.

Users who are viewing this thread