What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Post Season Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

Sometimes we can caught up in the number of players to roster for the superbowl.  I struggle with how many I should have....8,9,10?  I currently have 8 for my SB matchup.  Sometimes the bigger the number is not always better.  You could roster several lower priced KC guys (Watkins/Hardman/etc) or spend that amount on Kelce.  

Love this contest, such a great way to end the fantasy season. But I can’t wait until it locks so I can stop messing with my team!

Hoping for NO/BAL super bowl. Have 9 total from those teams. 7 going this week, then 9 next week if all the WC teams I picked make it through.  But if any don’t, I probably don’t have enough firepower to make it thru next week. High risk high reward, but I think it’s the only way to play this contest, playing it safe just guarantees you won’t be in the money in the end. Good luck everyone, hope someone from this thread is the winner!

I’m starting to think NOLA is going to be A very costly pick for a large % of managers - playing at GB in January is no joke. 

i said before that I think NOLA is a Much better team - which I believe they are. But  Lambeau field in January is no joke & Brees hasn’t been great there in winter IIRC. 

because the Saints get the perceived ”extra game”, over the BYE teams the lure is strong to load up on Saints. 

I kinda feel like it’s a trap. 

agree, this is a pretty good zig when everyone zags opportunity. That and NO is very expensive to load up on. I have one Saint on my team 
As hard is it is for many to fathom, there’s a chance at a 1st round upset as well. 

MIN at full strength is a very good football team. If Cook is indeed at full strength I could see MIN putting up a fight, and possibly winning. 

Unlikely, yes. Impossible? Not remotely. 

As hard is it is for many to fathom, there’s a chance at a 1st round upset as well. 

MIN at full strength is a very good football team. If Cook is indeed at full strength I could see MIN putting up a fight, and possibly winning. 

Unlikely, yes. Impossible? Not remotely. 
I'm sure many remember when the Vikings upset the Saints with Keenum to Diggs in the last seconds a couple years ago. You stocked up on 49er players, didn't ya? I think you're a fan of that team if I remember right. They are cheaper than Saints players, so you can load up on more of them. It's going to be too bad when Seattle makes them one and done next weekend.  :P

I'm sure many remember when the Vikings upset the Saints with Keenum to Diggs in the last seconds a couple years ago. You stocked up on 49er players, didn't ya? I think you're a fan of that team if I remember right. They are cheaper than Saints players, so you can load up on more of them. It's going to be too bad when Seattle makes them one and done next weekend.  :P
I didn’t load up, but I do think they’ll be in the SB so I went 50/50 on them & the team I believe will be in the SB with em. 

i don’t think seattle makes it past Philly. 

Thankfully the playoff contest way back following the 2007 season was the Dirty Dozen.  Had to pick one player from each team and fill out the roster requirements (2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DT).  I say "thankfully" because it was much easier to pick a team, and that year I won my lifetime subscription b*tches!!  Eli to Plaxico was the finisher!

I originally didn't like NO because of the game at GB. But a savvy friend of mine begged me to review GB's schedule and tell him what, if any, good teams they had beaten. The answer is literally none. I then recalled how poorly Aaron played the last couple weeks where he was straight-up overthrowing receivers consistently, which isn't like the Aaron of old. I think the jig is up for the Packers, which is why I altered course and went with NO in the SB.

I originally didn't like NO because of the game at GB. But a savvy friend of mine begged me to review GB's schedule and tell him what, if any, good teams they had beaten. The answer is literally none. I then recalled how poorly Aaron played the last couple weeks where he was straight-up overthrowing receivers consistently, which isn't like the Aaron of old. I think the jig is up for the Packers, which is why I altered course and went with NO in the SB.
It’s definitely possible. 

and savvy or not, much of that is true.

but it is equally true that Brees has struggled mightily in cold weather road games. Also true is that the Saints defense has taken quite a few hits - to the point that when they’ve played good teams (like my 49ers) they lost a shootout at home. 

Green Bay can run the ball & play defense. NOS has been a little inconsistent at both of those things.

so yeah - I think it’s much more of a coin flip than most. And as mentioned above - that’s IF they get past the Vikings, which is also not a given.

It’s definitely possible. 

and savvy or not, much of that is true.

but it is equally true that Brees has struggled mightily in cold weather road games. Also true is that the Saints defense has taken quite a few hits - to the point that when they’ve played good teams (like my 49ers) they lost a shootout at home. 

Green Bay can run the ball & play defense. NOS has been a little inconsistent at both of those things.

so yeah - I think it’s much more of a coin flip than most. And as mentioned above - that’s IF they get past the Vikings, which is also not a given.
You're making me want to go with my TEN-GB lineup now!!

I've got chalk all over my hands, all over my face, all over the walls and I came up with SF/BAL and only four other guys from two other teams, one of which I believe will lose this weekend.

I should have used paste to show my work. At least I could eat that.

I've got chalk all over my hands, all over my face, all over the walls and I came up with SF/BAL and only four other guys from two other teams, one of which I believe will lose this weekend.

I should have used paste to show my work. At least I could eat that.
4 guys this week and 6 next week if I'm reading it right? That's bold

4 guys this week and 6 next week if I'm reading it right? That's bold
Close, but no, I don't think that. 4 guys this week and then hopefully eight for next week considering the cap of two per team, provided my invested players win. Lose along the way with any prediction: sunk. That's pretty much everybody, though.

Just writing this makes me want to shift money from Jimmy G, Pettis, Boyle, and Pettis and into Brady and Burkhead. I think that gives me a better chance of surviving this week and not being covered by anything useful. Boyle's averaging a FP and a half his past five games.

Yep. here we are, half hour before kick off.

Your team has been successfully entered.

QB - Lamar Jackson - BAL - $40
QB - Ryan Tannehill - TEN - $14
RB - Derrick Henry - TEN - $15
RB - Raheem Mostert - SF - $14
RB - Marshawn Lynch - SEA - $12
RB - Devin Singletary - BUF - $12
RB - Tevin Coleman - SF - $11
RB - Gus Edwards - BAL - $8
RB - Justice Hill - BAL - $4
RB - Jeff Wilson - SF - $2
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA - $18
WR - Deebo Samuel - SF - $16
WR - Emmanuel Sanders - SF - $14
WR - John Brown - BUF - $13
WR - Miles Boykin - BAL - $4
TE - George Kittle - SF - $21
TE - Mark Andrews - BAL - $18
TE - Hayden Hurst - BAL - $6

Total Value 250

Last edited by a moderator:
Close, but no, I don't think that. 4 guys this week and then hopefully eight for next week considering the cap of two per team, provided my invested players win. Lose along the way with any prediction: sunk. That's pretty much everybody, though.

Just writing this makes me want to shift money from Jimmy G, Pettis, Boyle, and Pettis and into Brady and Burkhead. I think that gives me a better chance of surviving this week and not being covered by anything useful. Boyle's averaging a FP and a half his past five games.

Yep. here we are, half hour before kick off.

QB - Russell Wilson - SEA - $26
QB - Tom Brady - NE - $23
RB - Marshawn Lynch - SEA - $12
RB - Rex Burkhead - NE - $9
RB - Jeff Wilson - SF - $2
WR - John Brown - BUF - $13
WR - Miles Boykin - BAL - $4
PK - Robbie Gould - SF - $8
That's not a bad team. You'd look real good with a SF/BAL SB

OK, I have changed my mind entirely. I am going to go with an extremely unlikely Super Bowl of TEN-SF, instead of going with what I believe will happen which is BAL-NO. My reasoning is that, given the player pricing this year, if a consensus Super Bowl happens with something like KC/BAL vs. NO/SF, then the rosters will be so similar that essentially 100 people will be sharing first place. Instead, I'd rather NOT share my glorious victory!! So, that said, here's my team:

QB - Jimmy Garoppolo - SF - $25
RB - Damien Williams - KC - $16
RB - Duke Johnson - HOU - $10
RB - Travis Homer - SEA - $9
RB - Rex Burkhead - NE - $9
RB - Miles Sanders - PHI - $8
RB - Matt Breida - SF - $7
RB - Dion Lewis - TEN - $4
WR - A.J. Brown - TEN - $13
WR - Kenny Stills - HOU - $10
WR - Greg Ward - PHI - $10
WR - Mecole Hardman - KC - $8
WR - Allen Lazard - GB - $8
WR - Corey Davis - TEN - $6
WR - Tajae Sharpe - TEN - $5
TE - Jonnu Smith - TEN - $7

That's not a bad team. You'd look real good with a SF/BAL SB
Thanks. Of course I just changed from NE to TENN and took money away from QB, but upon hearing about weather, I might switch back. The question is does the Patriots style benefit from the weather tonight? Who knows. I don't think it'll be a bad team, it's just that one sort of has to nail games and gamescripts. I don't know why, but I'm not sold on NE tonight.

Pretty much have to have 2 SB QBs, don't you?
I'd always assumed. Going a diferent route this year due to how run-heavy Frisco is this year and also having Deebo and Sanders and Kittle in the lineup. Who's he going to throw it to all day, Bourne and Pettis? That's my thought, anyway. They'll rush, throw to those aforementioned three, or check down, and I'm betting against constant checkdowns for TDs in the SB. 

I'd always assumed. Going a diferent route this year due to how run-heavy Frisco is this year and also having Deebo and Sanders and Kittle in the lineup. Who's he going to throw it to all day, Bourne and Pettis? That's my thought, anyway. They'll rush, throw to those aforementioned three, or check down, and I'm betting against constant checkdowns for TDs in the SB. 
That's a good point. Certainly the QB you probably don't need from the 5-6 favorite teams. 

Only time you wouldn't need them both is something like last year's SB, where the Rams scored a grand total of 3 points...
That would be also why gamescript is important. If you've got BAL/SF like I do, you're probably only looking at ten more total points in the SB than last year. Anyway, this isn't to defend it in all circumstances, but you can win without a QB if they score seventeen or under, say.  It's actually one of the last things in my head that I'll hear up until kickoff.

Anyway, Fuller is out. Feeling better about the BUF picks. 

Heading out to watch the Bills. Here is my team:

QB - Drew Brees - NO - $38
QB - Patrick Mahomes - KC - $36
QB - Russell Wilson - SEA - $26
RB - Alvin Kamara - NO - $29
RB - Darwin Thompson - KC - $6
RB - Frank Gore - BUF - $3
WR - Michael Thomas - NO - $34
WR - Tyreek Hill - KC - $26
TE - Travis Kelce - KC - $22
TE - Josh Hill - NO - $6
TE - Dawson Knox - BUF - $5

Total value: 250

Got KC and NO in the Super Bowl. Had NE and PHI advancing this weekend until a couple of hours ago when I traded my NE player for Jonnu Smith and my 2 PHI players for Russell Wilson. Next week will be tough as well, even with my teams winning. But that's the fun part. 

Good luck to all. 

Go Bills!

QB - Taysom Hill - NO - $8
RB - Boston Scott - PHI - $8
RB - Mike Boone - MIN - $3
WR - TreQuan Smith - NO - $9
WR - NKeal Harry - NE - $8
WR - Willie Snead - BAL - $7
WR - Demarcus Robinson - KC - $4
TE - Jared Cook - NO - $24

You know the drill. Predict the Super Bowl matchup (I stayed boring and went with the favorites, BAL-SF), and then load up on your SB teams (I got 11 players for $182) while trying to do just enough to survive the early rounds (I got 10 players for $68).

QB - Jimmy Garoppolo - SF - $25
QB - Carson Wentz - PHI - $17
RB - Frank Gore - BUF - $3
WR - DeAndre Carter - HOU - $3
WR - Marquez Valdes-Scantling - GB - $2
TE - Nick Boyle - BAL - $7
TE - Darren Fells - HOU - $6
TE - Dawson Knox - BUF - $5
PK - Justin Tucker - BAL - $13
PK - Jake Elliott - PHI - $5
PK - Greg Joseph - TEN - $4

I did some last-minute tinkering learning that Fuller & Akins were out for HOU.

I'm rooting for PHI & TEN wins this weekend.

I had Drew win me a title this year, I am loyal to follow him deep...  also sticking with DHenry for some wild card magic...

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40
QB - Drew Brees - 38
QB - Deshaun Watson - 25
RB - Alvin Kamara - 29
RB - Derrick Henry - 15
RB - Miles Sanders - 8
WR - Michael Thomas - 34
TE - Mark Andrews - 18
TE - Jimmy Graham - 6
PK - Wil Lutz - 14
PK - Justin Tucker - 13
PK - Jake Elliott - 5
PK - Mason Crosby - 5

Here is my entry. I do feel like it’s a NO/BAL Super Bowl. This leaves me with 5 from Balt and 4 from NO, Kamara and Jackson are my mvps, didn’t love Brees in GB rd 2. Didn’t love Ingram with saints solid run d. Rest of the team is made up of folks I think advance to rd 2 (minus Jonu Smith) and shouldn’t play my expected SB teams until rd. 3. Leaving the most players on the table throughout with a good group for the finale. As long as buff/NE/philly win in the wild card, I got a chance, and that’s all you need. That said, it’s all about luck from here. Good luck everyone!!! Let’s go eagles!! 

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40
QB - Carson Wentz - 17
RB - Alvin Kamara - 29
RB - James White - 18
RB - Devin Singletary - 12
RB - Miles Sanders - 8
WR - Marquise Brown - 17
WR - John Brown - 13
WR - Greg Ward - 10
WR - Ted Ginn Jr - 9
TE - Mark Andrews - 18
TE - Jonnu Smith - 7
PK - Wil Lutz - 14
PK - Justin Tucker - 13
TD - Baltimore Ravens - 13
TD - New Orleans Saints - 12

Calcomatic will be down for a bit during this first game.  I have to get the lineups from FBG and upload them - so stand by.

QB - Lamar Jackson - BAL - $40

QB - Drew Brees - NO - $38

QB - Josh Allen - BUF - $22

QB - Carson Wentz - PHI - $17
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL - $25
RB - Miles Sanders - PHI - $8

QB - Aaron Rodgers - GB - $20
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL - $25
RB - Tevin Coleman - SF - $11
RB - Jamaal Williams - GB - $8
RB - Miles Sanders - PHI - $8
WR - Marquise Brown - BAL - $17
WR - Mohamed Sanu - NE - $8
WR - Allen Lazard - GB - $8
WR - Keke Coutee - HOU - $8
WR - Willie Snead - BAL - $7
WR - Demarcus Robinson - KC - $4
TE - Jimmy Graham - GB - $6
TE - Josh Hill - NO - $6
TE - Blake Bell - KC - $2
PK - Jake Elliott - PHI - $5

First time looking at it last night, set it once and changed my $2 player today. That's it. Little though on it which is not normal. Baltimore/Green Bay. Baltimore because I believe they are the best team and Green bay because I don't believe they will get there which could mean they will. Haven't got both SB teams yet in this format and made SB just 1 time.

*Didn't read the rules or get past page 2 of this thread before doing it either. Memory

QB - Drew Brees - 38
QB - Patrick Mahomes II - 36
QB - Russell Wilson - 26
RB - Derrick Henry - 15
RB - Travis Homer - 9
RB - Gus Edwards - 8
RB - Justice Hill - 4
WR - Michael Thomas - 34
WR - Tyreek Hill - 26
WR - Mecole Hardman - 8
WR - Demarcus Robinson - 4
WR - Marquez Valdes-Scantling - 2
TE - Travis Kelce - 22
TE - Darren Fells - 6
TE - Jimmy Graham - 6
TE - Josh Hill - 6

Went strictly NO and BAL

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40
QB - Drew Brees - 38
QB - Taysom Hill - 8
RB - Alvin Kamara - 29
RB - Mark Ingram II - 25
WR - Michael Thomas - 34
TE - Jared Cook - 24
PK - Wil Lutz - 14
PK - Justin Tucker - 13

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40
QB - Jimmy Garoppolo - 25
RB - Derrick Henry - 15
RB - Raheem Mostert - 14
RB - Gus Edwards - 8
RB - Matt Breida - 7
RB - Justice Hill - 4
WR - Michael Thomas - 34
WR - Deebo Samuel - 16
WR - DK Metcalf - 15
WR - John Brown - 13
WR - David Moore - 5
TE - George Kittle - 21
TE - Mark Andrews - 18
TE - Jonnu Smith - 7
PK - Robbie Gould - 8

Went strictly NO and BAL

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40
QB - Drew Brees - 38
QB - Taysom Hill - 8
RB - Alvin Kamara - 29
RB - Mark Ingram II - 25
WR - Michael Thomas - 34
TE - Jared Cook - 24
PK - Wil Lutz - 14
PK - Justin Tucker - 13

You've got my NO/BAL covered but it will be tough for you to advance this week with 2 scores and next week with only 4. Good luck

Here's my bunch.  Maybe a little more about it later when I get back from hockey.

QB - Lamar Jackson - 40  BAL (SB)
QB - Josh Allen - 21 BUF
QB - Aaron Rodgers - 20 GB (SB)
RB - Aaron Jones - 23 GB (SB)
RB - Derrick Henry - 15 TEN
RB - Travis Homer - 9 SEA
RB - Jamaal Williams - 8 GB (SB)
RB - Miles Sanders - 8 PHI
RB - Gus Edwards - 8 BAL (SB)
RB - Justice Hill - 4 BAL (SB)
RB - Frank Gore - 3 BUF
WR - Davante Adams - 21 GB (SB)
WR - Tre'Quan Smith - 9 NO
WR - Geronimo Allison - 3 GB (SB)
TE - Mark Andrews - 18 BAL (SB)
TE - Hayden Hurst - 6 BAL (SB)
TE - Matt LaCosse - 4 NE
TE - Ben Watson - 4 NE
PK - Wil Lutz - 14 NO
PK - Harrison Butker - 12 KC

Went with the Baltimore-Green Bay Super Bowl.  Very hard to fully fade a #1 seed in SF, but that's part of the deal.  NO was really the other consideration, but I think that's going to be a popular combo.

Recent years have been big in terms of the top-2 seeds making the Super Bowl and even though Green Bay is the strongest looking 13-3, they have good enough pieces to get things done.  A lot depends on Rodgers. 

5 Packers - The 4 guys most worth having and then $3 on Geronimo Allison (Go Illini)

5 Ravens - Lamar is a must - heck Lamar is kind hard to fade on any entry even if you don't  have Baltimore in your combinations.  I suspect a lot of undead/no hope entries will have him on their rosters and ruin a lot of days.  Had Andrews in, then out in favor of Tucker, then back in again.  Very tough to leave Ingram out - kinda hoping him being dinged up makes it a little more of a committee with Gus and Jus.  Hurst rounds out the bunch.  Total value of $151 on these 10.  I hope it's enough and is helped by lack of faith in Green Bay.

SF - none.  As stated above this was tough to do but necessary.  Had Gould until late and just decided to take that $8 and throw in on the upside of Miles Sanders and give myself a little more ceiling.

KC - Just Butker.  For a long time this was gonna be just Watkins.  Butker is the rare kind of kicker that the team has enough faith in that a real good number is at least possible.  And the 40+ effort Watkins put up was quite a while ago... :unsure:

NE - Went with the two tight ends - LaCosse and Watson.  This is a two-headed poke and hope replacing a one-headed poke and hope of Burkhead.  This is more predicated on the weakest of Tenessee defending against TE and the fact that it is such a crap shoot with Belichick so why not have 2 bullets?

NO - Talk about tough.  There is a reason it would cost north of $200 to have the whole team.  Lutz came on late to replace the NO Defense - again because he is the kind of guy that they won't hesistate to employ from super long range.  Don't really love the Tre'Quan pick but hard to get bargain guys on this team and really need a piece of the skill bunch.

HOU - None.  I liked the Bills in the game enough that I decided to just fade Houston against a tough defense.  So far so good   :oldunsure:

PHI - Sanders was the late add.  Mostly faded but decided a total fade probably wasn't prudent.  I think this guy will be on a million teams at that price.

BUF - I like the make up of this team, I really do.  Can see them going far and I am sure there are entries that got 'em all for cheap.  But tough to win 3 on the road with a young QB.  Allen's dual-threat (in fact triple-threat now with that TD catch) was too good to ignore for what I hope is 2 games.  Gore is the guy that for that price could get a little play in a playoff game - seemed like a decent $3 play.

SEA - Flip a coin with Philly.  Homer hopefully won't have me say d'oh!  But the fact that he should get play in the pass game even if beast mode is more in effect means I like him at that price.

TEN - For the longest longest time I had Tannehill here.  At the end added a dollar for Henry.  I fear NE will try to take Henry away and make Tannehill beat them but given the NE pass defense it's likely that Tenessee will stick to the run for as long as possible. 

MIN - While I have a good run this year of putting $ on unfancied non-champions (Blues and Nationals) and did so with Minnesota a few weeks ago, I don't see it now.  Total fade seemed best. 

So there ya go :boxing:

-QG

YOLO

Tennessee (9) - Tannehill, Henry, AJ Brown, Corey Davis, Tajae Sharpe, Jonnu Smith, MyCole Pruitt, Greg Joseph, TEN D

NO (7) - Brees, Taysom Hill, Kamara, Michael Thomas, Tre'quan Smith, Josh Hill, Lutz

SEA (2) - David Moore, Jason Myers

KC (1) - Mecole Hardman

BUF (1) - Hauschka

SF (1) - Gould

With so many people in the contest, I went with TEN in the AFC so I am not competing with 5000 people that have KC or BAL, they have cheap players which pairs well with the expensive NO players, and they have looked reasonably competitive once they replaced Mariota. 

I felt D scoring was not worth the cost, while kickers should have a higher floor than an equivalently costed position player for teams that I don't predict going to the super bowl. Dropped obvious players like Jared Cook due to the price.

No eagles, pats, ravens, packers, texans, or vikings because I don't anticipate getting more than one game out of them. I plan on getting knocked out early, but I would rather play to win and lose early than make a team guaranteed to make the super bowl but also guaranteed to lose it.

32.2 I think but I lose my 2 Bills :(

i think Allen's total is 30 - gets the yards but not the catch.

Looking good to get to week 2 so far but if I make it it will bw a sweat.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread