What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN had some great competition on yesterday (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I was watching the Cowboys-Eagles game yesterday and during a commercial I just entered in some sports channel's numbers into the remote.  I was just randomly checking to see if there were any good college basketball games on.  I turn on ESPN2 and I'm blown away by what I see.  I think, "What the hell?"  And I actually check the guide to see what I'm watching.  To my amazement, what I'm watching is an hour long show.  I thought I had caught a weird Wipeout style show and had just seen one of many events they would be showing that hour.  But, no. It was an hour of something called Slippery Stairs.

It was kids who looked like maybe high school or early college.  They were outdoors and there was a set of stairs that looked like it might be two stories with a landing in the middle.  It was covered in plastic and people were using squirt guns to shoot lube onto the plastic.  The kids then tried to climb the stairs.  And it was cheaper sounding than I'm describing it.  It had the look of a summer carnival in a town of 50 in the Midwest.  And I'm not making fun of carnivals or fairs.  But this seemed like a fair that even a small town fair would look down upon.

But ESPN took it so seriously.  First, they had refs watching on both sides of the stairs.  And I actually saw a kid get whistled for using his finger nails to climb.  Apparently that's a no no.  And after each heat, they had a lady who tried to do a very serious interview like she was Rachael NIchols on the sidelines of a MNF game.  It was so bad but I couldn't help but watch like 10 minutes of it because it was so bad.  

I will give ESPN credit, though.  There wasn't a single mention of race or politics the entire 10 minutes I watched.  I feel like that had to be some kind of record for 2019.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching the Cowboys-Eagles game yesterday and during a commercial I just entered in some sports channel's numbers into the remote.  I was just randomly checking to see if there were any good college basketball games on.  I turn on ESPN2 and I'm blown away by what I see.  I think, "What the hell?"  And I actually check the guide to see what I'm watching.  To my amazement, what I'm watching is an hour long show.  I thought I had caught a weird Wipeout style show and had just seen one of many events they would be showing that hour.  But, no. It was an hour of something called Slipper Stairs.

It was kids who looked like maybe high school or early college.  They were outdoors and there was a set of stairs that looked like it might be two stories with a landing in the middle.  It was covered in plastic and people were using squirt guns to shoot lube onto the plastic.  The kids then tried to climb the stairs.  And it was cheaper sounding than I'm describing it.  It had the look of a summer carnival in a town of 50 in the Midwest.  And I'm not making fun of carnivals or fairs.  But this seemed like a fair that even a small town fair would look down upon.

But ESPN took it so seriously.  First, they had refs watching on both sides of the stairs.  And I actually saw a kid get whistled for using his finger nails to climb.  Apparently that's a no no.  And after each heat, they had a lady who tried to do a very serious interview like she was Rachael NIchols on the sidelines of a MNF game.  It was so bad but I couldn't help but watch like 10 minutes of it because it was so bad.  

I will give ESPN credit, though.  There wasn't a single mention of race or politics the entire 10 minutes I watched.  I feel like that had to be some kind of record for 2019.   
I saw that.  It was pretty cheaply made.  I think it was college age. 

I almost think they had a ESPN 8 the ocho broadcast session as they also had Dodgeball (USA vs Canada) on.  I was thinking wouldn't former or not quite good enough for the NFL quarterbacks be perfect for dodgeball?

I saw that.  It was pretty cheaply made.  I think it was college age. 

I almost think they had a ESPN 8 the ocho broadcast session as they also had Dodgeball (USA vs Canada) on.  I was thinking wouldn't former or not quite good enough for the NFL quarterbacks be perfect for dodgeball?
It reminded me of something you'd see back in the day on Double Dare.  But treat it like it was an Olympic Sport.

But ESPN took it so seriously.  First, they had refs watching on both sides of the stairs.  And I actually saw a kid get whistled for using his finger nails to climb.  Apparently that's a no no. 
This seems like a good opportunity for video review.  These kids work so hard to get to this level, and so much is riding on every play, it just sucks to have it ruined by a bad call.

This seems like a good opportunity for video review.  These kids work so hard to get to this level, and so much is riding on every play, it just sucks to have it ruined by a bad call.
Kid didn't even argue.  Either he knew he was cheating or he had the sportsmanship and class not to argue about it.  I didn't catch his presser after the heat, so maybe that's where he complained about the officiating. 

Users who are viewing this thread