What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where You Currently Live vs Where You Grew Up? (1 Viewer)

How Far Away Do You Live vs Where You Grew Up/Graduated From High School?

• I live in the exact same city/town where I graduated high school. Hell, my kids attend the same sc

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 25 miles or less from where I graduated high school. I'm in the vicinity.

Votes: 80 25.6%
  • I live 50 miles or less from where I graduated high school. It's a short drive away, but I'm blazi

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • I live 100 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Bit of a hassle to drive back home but

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 500 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Much longer drive and sometimes I'll f

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • I live 1000 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Getting back home is a chore!

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • I live OVER 1000 miles away from where I graduated high school. "and I ran, I ran so far away....."

Votes: 67 21.5%

• Total voters

General Malaise

Footballguy
Curious about this as I think most people currently live close to where they grew up.  Now, many people have a nomadic childhood and bounce around, so for the sake of clarification, you can use the place where you graduated high school if you like, but you don't have to.  Maybe you were moved to a new HS in your late teens and consider somewhere else 'home'.  

Anyhow, how do FBGs fall here?  Did you stay close to the nest or did you venture out like a pioneer?  And if you did venture off, what was the catalyst for your move?

Poll isn't perfect by any means, but I'm curious how this will shake out.

I left my hometown (Chicago, IL) about 2 weeks after I finished high school and moved to the U.K. for a couple of years. Went to college in Southern Indiana, moved to Atlanta after school for my first "real" job. Spent 15 years there before moving to Miami about 10 years ago. 

Net distance = ~1400 miles from where I grew up. 

Still consider Chicago my hometown however and always feels like "home" when I get back there. No family there and only one friend that I would meet up with but it's still home. 

It's just how things happened however I have always had the travel bug growing up an airline brat and never felt like I had to be rooted in one place. In the process of trying to get my parents to move an hour or so away from me now that they are getting on in years. Will be the first time we have any family relatively nearby in 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just Mapquested the drive from where I live to where I grew up.  2,018 miles away.  Moved for a job, never looked back, rarely go back home.  My family followed me out here.  Just nothing for me back home save for some friends.

Grew up in Michigan, went to college in Virginia, moved to Florida at the first opportunity. I was tired of the gray skies for literally half of the year, plus I finished college right at the beginning of the Great Recession, which kicked Michigan's teeth in.

I left my hometown (Chicago, IL) about 2 weeks after I finished high school and moved to the U.K. for a couple of years. Went to college in Southern Indiana, moved to Atlanta after school for my first "real" job. Spent 15 years there before moving to Miami about 10 years ago. 

Net distance = ~1400 miles from where I grew up. 

Still consider Chicago my hometown however and always feels like "home" when I get back there. No family there and only one friend that I would meet up with but it's still home. 
Boy, that's some drastic change in many facets!  

Miami is one city I've never been to.  I need to amend that.

Grew up in a small, rural OH town outside of Kent. OH was the center of the universe for me until I graduated college and went from farm town Americana to Detroit/Schenectady/Chicago in the span of about 2 months for work. Stayed in OH until I was 43 but had a much better view of the wide, wide world thanks to travel. Moved to a small town in SC about 12 years ago, probably won't move again unless I have to. No desire to go back to OH other than the occasional visit (about a 600 mile drive).

I grew up in New Castle, Pa rust belt pretty much.  Not much opportunity there.  Most people either went to where the jobs were or Pittsburgh.  Most my high school friends are scattered through out the US.  Live in the Raleigh, NC area since 1996.  Graduated high school in 1988 went to college in Erie, PA.   Most people I know that moved earn much more than they could in New Castle area.

Live just over the 500 mile threshold.  When I go back to Michigan I almost always drive as flights are just too damn expensive, but it's about an 8 hour or so trip.  Live in Northern Virginia now.
Flights prices are crazy to go north.  I used to get under 200 round trip.  Almost upper 300 now and saves about 3 hours.

I live just over the 100 mile threshold so I put the 100 miles option....The follow on descriptions isn't exactly right.  It's a bit of a hassle to drive back but the town is nowhere near what it was like when I grew up there.  It was grown tremendously and is a traffic nightmare and has been engulfed by Los Angeles.  My parents still liver there and I tell them every time I am back in town that they now live in LA.  It is nothing like when I grew up there 30 years ago. 

Navy Brat here.  I grew up in Memphis, Kansas City, New Orleans, Ventura County (CA), Arlington (TX), Bucks County (PA), and Sand Springs, TX.  I currently live about a million miles away from any of those places.

I'd wager to guess I live closest to where I grew up.  I live one street over from my childhood home, and can see the roof from my bedroom window.  Kids go to the same high school I went to (they rebuilt it, so it is a different building with the same name).

Would do it all over again, but plan to move to a different suburb when the kids are in college.

Born and raised in San Diego, have lived elsewhere but 90% of my 44 years have been in SD.  Live in SD now but it’s a big city so not near where I went to high school.  

I didn't rush away from MetroBoston (mid 20s), but i was more than ready to leave bugs, humidity & shoveling ten inches of paaaahtly cloudy off my frikkin driveway when a siren from my youth called to invite me out to her commune in the mountains of New Mexico, and i dropped a promising career to do so. Though twas the Call of the Tang got me out there, i was based in the high desert (Albq, Santa Fe, Reno) for 35 years and would be there still but for the palliative needs of me ol' peeps.

I picked the 500 miles option, but it’s about 200 — so, closer to the 100 range. Live in the DC area now, and grew up in central NJ. Just did the drive this morning — took about 3-1/2 hours, not including the kid’s pit stop.

I "went away" to college only about 1.5 hours.

Couldn't wait to get out of my town. It had 6000 people and was that place that everyone was in everyone's business.

Moved back and would probably still be in that area if I didn't meet my wife.

Still under 25 miles though

To answer OP question.  After college a friend moved down to Raleigh for a job with a family friend.  After visiting a few times.  5 of us moved down here at different times within about a year.

My buddy who started it all moved back to Erie.  3 of us still live in the area.  One move to Tampa after failing with 2 marriages here which were part of the 5 that moved here.  (He moved here with wife, maid of honor moved down later and he ended up marrying her too after cheating on wife 1 with her.)  Wife 1 went to Ohio.

I moved several times good distances, but I  currently living across the street of my high school.

Born and raised in San Diego, have lived elsewhere but 90% of my 44 years have been in SD.  Live in SD now but it’s a big city so not near where I went to high school.  
Where in SD?  Or what HS?

Grew up in SD (Mom is still in the house I grew up in), moved to Orange County for college (80-100 miles north).  Got a job, lived at the beach, then got married... never made it back.

Grew up in a small, rural OH town outside of Kent. OH was the center of the universe for me until I graduated college and went from farm town Americana to Detroit/Schenectady/Chicago in the span of about 2 months for work. Stayed in OH until I was 43 but had a much better view of the wide, wide world thanks to travel. Moved to a small town in SC about 12 years ago, probably won't move again unless I have to. No desire to go back to OH other than the occasional visit (about a 600 mile drive).
My little frat bro worked in NJ for 20 years or so and grinded out a nice living.  He and his wife sold their big home in West Orange and moved to SC a few years ago.  They absolutely love it there.  Got a much bigger, nicer, newer house for a lot less $$$ too.  

Where in SD?  Or what HS?

Grew up in SD (Mom is still in the house I grew up in), moved to Orange County for college (80-100 miles north).  Got a job, lived at the beach, then got married... never made it back.
I’ve lived everywhere in SD basically.  Ran a restaurant/night club in the Gaslamp for 15 yrs.   Graduated HS from Rancho Bernardo.  You?

I’ve lived everywhere in SD basically.  Ran a restaurant/night club in the Gaslamp for 15 yrs.   Graduated HS from Rancho Bernardo.  You?
Mt Carmel.  RB opened at the start my Junior year at MCHS... took half of the Frosh/Soph class and the baseball coach.

I left TN in 2001 for a job.  I've moved around and the furthest I was away was in IA, but for the past four years I've been in IN.  I'm about 350 miles from where I grew up, but I rarely go back.  

Flying there Xmas morning.  How's the weather and what local beers can you recommend?   I like IPAs/Pilsners but will try just about anything (except sours).  

I've lived in the same 3 mile radius in Queens, NY, my entire life. We close on a condo in Boise on Friday and although it will be a second home for maybe a year, we look forward to the change. I wish it could be full time sooner but we'll have to wait a little.

It will be raining actually.  So many beers to choose from.  Where you going to be?
Rain?  grrrrrrr.  Will at least be warm?  

Staying in La Jolla.  I'm familiar with Stone of course, but gosh they charge a lot of money for their beers up here.  

Any suggestions on killing time Xmas day?  We've got like half a day to try and find stuff to do before we can get into our Airbnb.

Mt Carmel.  RB opened at the start my Junior year at MCHS... took half of the Frosh/Soph class and the baseball coach.
You class of 93?  I was the second graduating class from RB, it opened my Jr yr.  

Where in OC are you? I when to San Clemente High for 9th and 10th.  

Flying there Xmas morning.  How's the weather and what local beers can you recommend?   I like IPAs/Pilsners but will try just about anything (except sours).  
Ironic, I just flew out this morning to Minnesota. It was pouring when I left and supposed to rain for the next few days.  
The restaurant I ran was a brewery so used to be neck deep in the micro scene, but been out of it for a while now and things change fast.  Stone Brewery is always a cool experience though.  

Rain?  grrrrrrr.  Will at least be warm?  

Staying in La Jolla.  I'm familiar with Stone of course, but gosh they charge a lot of money for their beers up here.  

Any suggestions on killing time Xmas day?  We've got like half a day to try and find stuff to do before we can get into our Airbnb.
Really no idea whats open at that time.  I'm actually in town tomorrow (short drive from the OC) for the family but driving home so the kid can wake up at my place for Christmas morn...

Attitude Brewing may be too far south and Belching Beaver may be too far north for you...

Boy, that's some drastic change in many facets!  

Miami is one city I've never been to.  I need to amend that.
Not sure they make enough sunscreen for that.

But Miami is a fascinating city.

As for me, I grew up in Florida, lived in Miami (and Orlando) for a few years each after HS, then was in New Orleans for several years until finally settling down here in St Louis. We've been here almost 12 years and don't see us leaving here anytime soon. Don't really have any family except my mother who came out here with us.

Strange, but I do consider New Orleans a 2nd home even though I didn't grow up there. 

You class of 93?  I was the second graduating class from RB, it opened my Jr yr.  

Where in OC are you? I when to San Clemente High for 9th and 10th.  
I'm class of 92. Currently I'm in north OC (lived in newport, irvine, costa mesa, santa ana, cypress, buena park over the years) but I did coach soccer at Dana Hills from 92-96.

I dont think they had a graduating class the first year it opened.  

I'm class of 92. Currently I'm in north OC (lived in newport, irvine, costa mesa, santa ana, cypress, buena park over the years) but I did coach soccer at Dana Hills from 92-96.

I dont think they had a graduating class the first year it opened.  
Nice. Small world. I oversee a location at UCI.  

Grew up in Detroit, moved to California and Texas for work.  After 7 years have a good promotion to get back to Metro-Detroit and took it as all my family and friends were pretty much in the area.  

Now I live around 25 miles west of Detroit.   My mom lived a mile from me, my 2 sisters lived 2-3 miles away. My in-laws 7-8 miles away. Now my one daughter lives in Ann Arbor and the other Royal Oak both about 20 minutes away.  Everybody I care about is within 30 minutes or much less.

My wife's younger sister who I can`t stand lives in Texas... :pickle:

Voted for the first options, but my kids went to a different school.  I went to the public school.  My kids went to the private school their mom went to.

I live about 6 blocks from the house I grew up in.  :bag:   My parents still live there.  I didn't always live in the area though.  We moved back when we had kids.

I’m about as far from my hometown as possible while remaining in the US - it’s ~4500 miles from Atlanta to Honolulu.

I moved here because of my ex-wife. Remarried a local woman, so I’m here to stay. Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely worse places to live than Hawai’i, but I’d rather live in the mountains. Don’t really like the beach/ocean at all. Prefer some place like Utah, Wyoming or Montana.

In any event, would never go back to the south, or the midwest where I did some of my training. Low cost of living is about all those places have to offer. Family and friends visit often enough.

...but I’d rather live in the mountains. Don’t really like the beach/ocean at all. Prefer some place like Utah, Wyoming or Montana.

In any event, would never go back to the south, or the midwest where I did some of my training. Low cost of living is about all those places have to offer. Family and friends visit often enough.
I second that. Probably won't happen unless I end up buying something at some point that I can get away to once a month. Unfortunately Miami is about the furthest point in the US from anything that even resembles a large hill. I do miss that part of Atlanta, being able to get to the N. Georgia mountains in 30 minutes and the Smokies in a couple of hours. Miss the hiking/mountain biking/camping that we used to do up there. 

Went to college (Eugene) 100 miles from where I grew up (Beaverton) then moved to Northern California after graduation and have been here for 23 years now, so about 600-700 miles away.  Plan is to move back to Eugene in a couple of years, so I'll be back to within 100 miles of where I went to HS again.

Grew up in Denver and could not wait to get out of Colorado.  Joined the USAF and spent 4 years traveling to many different places, both stateside and abroad (TX, MS, ID, FL, NM, UK, Germany, Italy, Saudi).  Decided Colorado was actually awesome comparatively and moved back the day I got out.  Went to school/worked in Denver for the next 12ish years before moving about 50 miles north.  We've lived here for 7 years now and the only place I've ever considered moving to from here is Ireland (after a vacation there).  I'm fairly sure I'll die in Colorado, although it may be in the mountains once I retire.

Users who are viewing this thread