What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where You Currently Live vs Where You Grew Up? (2 Viewers)

How Far Away Do You Live vs Where You Grew Up/Graduated From High School?

• I live in the exact same city/town where I graduated high school. Hell, my kids attend the same sc

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 25 miles or less from where I graduated high school. I'm in the vicinity.

Votes: 80 25.6%
  • I live 50 miles or less from where I graduated high school. It's a short drive away, but I'm blazi

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • I live 100 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Bit of a hassle to drive back home but

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 500 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Much longer drive and sometimes I'll f

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • I live 1000 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Getting back home is a chore!

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • I live OVER 1000 miles away from where I graduated high school. "and I ran, I ran so far away....."

Votes: 67 21.5%

• Total voters
Grew up in in the Second City, moved to Santa Cruz, Ca after HS, now living in HI; so 4200 miles-ish.

Fun fact:  I was born in Holy Cross Hospital on the Westside.   My parents kept the Chicago Tribune paper from the day I was born.  Headline on the front page of the Tribune reads:  Santa Cruz, Ca - Murder Capital of the US, (because of a serial killer on the loose at that time)  Not only did I later move to Santa Cruz, the name translates to Holy Cross in Spanish.

Went to college (Eugene) 100 miles from where I grew up (Beaverton) then moved to Northern California after graduation and have been here for 23 years now, so about 600-700 miles away.  Plan is to move back to Eugene in a couple of years, so I'll be back to within 100 miles of where I went to HS again.
Sunset, BHS or Jesuit?  Gonna guess Sunset...

People are now using Mapquest? What's wrong with pulling out a paper map and figuring our your route? Too much work?  :rolleyes:

High school in Los Angeles, college in SF Bay, Grad school in Atlanta, work in Madrid, Oakland, and now I call Baltimore home.

If I could live abroad again, I would do it.

Grew up in Lancaster, PA and took me a while to realize that I could live anywhere. (Odd to say, but so many people in that region seem to live and die within miles of where they were born, that’s just what people did) I remember my father left PA when i was 20 years old, and it shocked me a bit. He told me at the time “I (he) can work a dead end job anywhere in the world, but if I do that in South Carolina, at least I can go to the beach after work”. That was one of the greatest pieces of advise I’ve ever gotten.

At 24, I moved to Orlando, and have been here ever since. Just writing this made me realize that in less than a year from now, I will have spent as much of my life in Florida as I had in Pennsylvania. (I feel old now) I still miss some people in PA, but I’m so much happier in Florida.

FYI- Google tells me it’s 969 miles to my mother’s house in PA. Mapquest says it’s 973.  :oldunsure:

About 180 miles away.  I would spend as much time driving to and from  the airports as I would just driving direct. Only been back a few times as no family is there.  Just a few friends from HS.  

I left my hometown (Chicago, IL) about 2 weeks after I finished high school and moved to the U.K. for a couple of years. Went to college in Southern Indiana, moved to Atlanta after school for my first "real" job. Spent 15 years there before moving to Miami about 10 years ago. 

Net distance = ~1400 miles from where I grew up. 

Still consider Chicago my hometown however and always feels like "home" when I get back there. No family there and only one friend that I would meet up with but it's still home. 

It's just how things happened however I have always had the travel bug growing up an airline brat and never felt like I had to be rooted in one place. In the process of trying to get my parents to move an hour or so away from me now that they are getting on in years. Will be the first time we have any family relatively nearby in 30 years.
So you went to IU.  I suppose Evansville is like the only other possibility. 

Grew up in a small college town. No extended family anywhere nearby and almost all of my friends split town either after high school or for those that also went to college there (like me) after that. I now live > 100 miles away and only visit (parents and brother's family are about all that's left there) for christmas. 

I've lived around Cleveland for 13 years,  many of my friends from high school and college live around here too, and my now wife's entire extended family is here. We're here for the long haul. I don't have animosity towards where I grew up. Rural Ohio just isn't for me. 
Which part of The Land do you live in?
I grew up in the far western burbs. Parents and brothers still live there. I’ve been all over (New Hampshire, Western PA, Columbus, and now Northern VA about 20 miles from the White House) but still get back multiple times a year to see my family. Wife and I want to end up in a rural/small town area for retirement.

I mapquested it.  2.3mi drive to where I grew up. 

I figured out how to use this new Google Maps thing where you can actually see a picture of the place you searched.  Man it's weird to see the house and how big the trees have gotten over the past 20yrs.

So you went to IU.  I suppose Evansville is like the only other possibility. 
University of Evansville. Purple Aces....

I had planned on going there anyway before my parents moved to the UK. It turned out that UE also owns Harlaxton College, near Grantham, so that's where I went to school for my first year. To say that the experience was ridiculously awesome is an understatement. The time I spent there opened my eyes to the world as a whole. That's a whole separate thread though....

The campus - AKA Harlaxton Manor

Which part of The Land do you live in?
I grew up in the far western burbs. Parents and brothers still live there. I’ve been all over (New Hampshire, Western PA, Columbus, and now Northern VA about 20 miles from the White House) but still get back multiple times a year to see my family. Wife and I want to end up in a rural/small town area for retirement.
Other side of town, Lyndhurst. If we ever move I cant imagine it would be more than a few miles away. 

Grew up in in the Second City, moved to Santa Cruz, Ca after HS, now living in HI; so 4200 miles-ish.

Fun fact:  I was born in Holy Cross Hospital on the Westside.   My parents kept the Chicago Tribune paper from the day I was born.  Headline on the front page of the Tribune reads:  Santa Cruz, Ca - Murder Capital of the US, (because of a serial killer on the loose at that time)  Not only did I later move to Santa Cruz, the name translates to Holy Cross in Spanish.
Grew up in the Chicagoland area but spend a lot of time in Santa Cruz CA as that is where my aunt and cousins lived. It was always the highlight of the trip to go to the Boardwalk and try to throw the ring into the clowns mouth on the carousel. I was back there last year and was happy to see that it is still there an functioning, 40+ years later. 

You win.

I Google Earthed the straight line between my current house and the one I grew up in. 7,108 ft or 1.35 miles. 
Sitting at 2,275 ft.  (.43 miles)  My sister lives directly across the street from my parents.  I technically own the house next door to my parents and could live there for free, but there's no way I want to be that close to all of them.

Sitting at 2,275 ft.  (.43 miles)  My sister lives directly across the street from my parents.  I technically own the house next door to my parents and could live there for free, but there's no way I want to be that close to all of them.
My wife's situation is comparable, half mile from her parents and one of her brother's lives 3 doors down from them. Her other brother lived 2 doors the other way until he moved in with his now wife 4 years ago. He lives about 20 miles away now. 

Originally from Philly, but moved all over the place and ended up in Tampa. In-laws live plenty far away so my buffer is great. 

Philly childhood home: 1,000 miles

In-laws home: ~1,280 miles

Last home (WY): 1,954 miles

I picked the 500 miles option, but it’s about 200 — so, closer to the 100 range. Live in the DC area now, and grew up in central NJ. Just did the drive this morning — took about 3-1/2 hours, not including the kid’s pit stop.
This is where I'm at.  A bit under 200 miles about a 2 1/2 hour drive if the weather is good.  A bit of a chore to get back but not bad.

If you graduated in 88 in new castle I bet you know him!
Blonde hair guy that I won the 4 on 4 basketball tourney with at St. Camaillus?

Last name sounds or maybe is exactly like a popular hbo series.

Had to get yearbook out Duda or Sporano?

Last edited by a moderator:
Left for 9 years. Denver, Phoenix, LA. Raising kids is easier near family and Kansas is way cheaper. 

Well, I currently live within 20 miles of where I grew up, but over the past 25 years I've lived in Hong Kong, Chicago, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Lima.

Went to College in SC, great little town.  

I had planned on going there anyway before my parents moved to the UK. It turned out that UE also owns Harlaxton College, near Grantham, so that's where I went to school for my first year. To say that the experience was ridiculously awesome is an understatement. The time I spent there opened my eyes to the world as a whole. That's a whole separate thread though....

The campus - AKA Harlaxton Manor
WOW!

Nice!  That's where my kids were going to go too, but they changed the district boundaries on us.  That pissed off a LOT of people.  Many of them moved because of it, which I thought was really silly.  We stayed put.  Glad we did as my older boys really like BHS and we do too.  

Holler next time you're out this way.

Yeah, that was wise putting all that distance between you guys. ;)

I grew up in Evansville, but basically all the way on the other side of town and out in the sticks near the Posey County line.  My mom is a U of Evansville alum.

Anyway, I went into academia, which is a national labor market in which people typically have little control over where they live.  When I was on the market, my wife and I both strongly agreed to prioritize positions in the Midwest and especially the upper Midwest.  We landed in eastern South Dakota, so we got our geographic wishes.  We also lucked out in the sense that the town we moved to is a really nice place to live -- I've been to lots of other college towns that are kind of dumpy.  It's about a 13 hour drive back to Evansville, which is a pain, and we don't get back there very often.  The last time I went back on my own I just flew.  

I grew up in Evansville, but basically all the way on the other side of town and out in the sticks near the Posey County line.  My mom is a U of Evansville alum.

Anyway, I went into academia, which is a national labor market in which people typically have little control over where they live.  When I was on the market, my wife and I both strongly agreed to prioritize positions in the Midwest and especially the upper Midwest.  We landed in eastern South Dakota, so we got our geographic wishes.  We also lucked out in the sense that the town we moved to is a really nice place to live -- I've been to lots of other college towns that are kind of dumpy.  It's about a 13 hour drive back to Evansville, which is a pain, and we don't get back there very often.  The last time I went back on my own I just flew.  
It's an interesting place, Evansville. A small town that wants to be a small city. It certainly has grown since I left, especially on the east side along Green River Road. BTW, do you remember Darry's Restaurant on GRR? I was a bartender there during college and is where I met my wife (she was a cocktail waitress). She grew up in the country about an hour west of Evansville, in Illinois and had considered Evansville the "big city". LOL

I don't get back there often but it's always fun to reminisce. I still consider Turoni's pizza to be the best I have ever had and it's a requirement to stop there at least once, maybe twice, when I get back there. I have had my wife bring one back on the place with her a few times. 

I said you win. Now your just bragging. (if that's something worth bragging about)
Definitely depends on your situation.  Love the neighborhood.  Like the schools.

There is a main road that goes from our neighborhood to a major shopping mall and restaurant area.  Every once in a while I will get hit with an image of the past.  Having driven that road since I was 2 years old, it has gone through a lot of change.  From about 5 stop lights between here and there, one at a highway, to over a dozen stoplights, the highway becoming an overpass, businesses taking up every inch of real estate where there used to be open spaces.  The area has changed a whole lot and some times it is a little depressing that I'm still here to see it all.

It's an interesting place, Evansville. A small town that wants to be a small city. It certainly has grown since I left, especially on the east side along Green River Road. BTW, do you remember Darry's Restaurant on GRR? I was a bartender there during college and is where I met my wife (she was a cocktail waitress). She grew up in the country about an hour west of Evansville, in Illinois and had considered Evansville the "big city". LOL

I don't get back there often but it's always fun to reminisce. I still consider Turoni's pizza to be the best I have ever had and it's a requirement to stop there at least once, maybe twice, when I get back there. I have had my wife bring one back on the place with her a few times. 
:yes:

Grew up in Northwest MN about 15-20 miles from the ND and Canadian borders. Went to college in Grand Forks, ND. Second job was in Fargo. Merger closed that office and I relocated to Phoenix. Lived downtown for a few years in an apartment and eventually moved to the burbs in Chandler.

Grew up in Northwest MN about 15-20 miles from the ND and Canadian borders. Went to college in Grand Forks, ND. Second job was in Fargo. Merger closed that office and I relocated to Phoenix. Lived downtown for a few years in an apartment and eventually moved to the burbs in Chandler.
you're just lucky that supercuts is available across the country.

General Malaise said:
Nice!  That's where my kids were going to go too, but they changed the district boundaries on us.  That pissed off a LOT of people.  Many of them moved because of it, which I thought was really silly.  We stayed put.  Glad we did as my older boys really like BHS and we do too.  

Holler next time you're out this way.
I thought you lived out that way - I know we have a common IRL friend, and I believe his kids went to Sunset.  

About 15 years ago my parents sold the place I grew up in, 1 1/3 acres up in the West Hills off of Cornell, and a developer put 3-4 homes in on the property.  They're in Sherwood now so not too far, but I don't make it to the old neighborhood too often.  But would be good to get a beer sometime.

I live in the town my wife grew up in and live roughly 500 miles from "home". I haven't lived there for so long, I now consider this "home". 

After detours in Buffalo, Baltimore, and New Haven I’ve spent the last 7 years living less than 5 miles from my childhood home in Western NY. My kids were born at the same hospital I was and are students at the same elementary school I went to.

Despite a low COL and incredible family support we’ve discussed moving to warmer climes (as I write this we are visiting my in-laws in CA for the holidays) but my wife just got a tenure track position at a local college and so we’re set to stay for at least another 5-6 years.

After detours in Buffalo, Baltimore, and New Haven I’ve spent the last 7 years living less than 5 miles from my childhood home in Western NY. My kids were born at the same hospital I was and are students at the same elementary school I went to.

Despite a low COL and incredible family support we’ve discussed moving to warmer climes (as I write this we are visiting my in-laws in CA for the holidays) but my wife just got a tenure track position at a local college and so we’re set to stay for at least another 5-6 years.
I've lived about fifteen minutes from Baltimore for about five years and right in the heart of New Haven for three before either got even hipster uppity in the least. Rough places to live. Buffalo must have seemed very peaceful, your town possibly more so. I took a trip to take an exam for about a week and loved it.Western New York has plenty of air to breathe, it seems.

That said, the weather, much like the cold Northeast where I grew up and moved back to, leaves something to be really desired. Humans aren't meant to be that cold, and room temp is room temp for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread