What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 FF season postmortem (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Well, it didn’t really matter who I started this week as my LCG opponent went absolutely ham on me.  But at least I made the LCG. 

so I figured I’d get the “lessons learned” topic going while everything is still fresh in mind. 

What are your 3 biggest take-aways for this season that you’ll be applying to next? feel free to do one for each league if you play in dramatically different formats 

IDP - main league

1. Go with your gut in the first round. I coulda had Michael Thomas at 1.08. My gut was screaming at me to draft Michael Thomas at 8. My rankings had  Adams a pick higher. I worried about Kamara / Murray/Cook/Hill spreading the TDs around & thought the Saints would be more of a ground attack with Kamara & Murray as they seemed to be trending last year. In the end I was wrong about everything, Kamara regressed, Murray was barely involved & Thomas just set a record.  Next year rankings be damned - if it’s a coin flip I’m going with my gut.

2. When close to the turn, reach for the best defensive player in the 5th rather than hoping they’ll all survive the turn. Every year the 5th is when people pop the cherry on IDPers, and rightly so as in this league scoring is pretty balanced between O & D. In the 5th I could have had Leonard, who made me the #1 seed as a last round sleeper in 2018, but Montgomery was sitting there & I only had 1 RB & 3 WR at that point. So instead of an absolute money LB, I ended up with a RB I barely played & traded away after a good game. :doh:   next year in a similar situation I’m taking the LB every time.  Heck, Devin Singletary was my 14th round pick & he was my RB2 most of the year. 

3. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make. There’s a dude in my league that throws 1,000,000 trades out there hoping something will stick. They’re always lopsided and it’s annoying. But he’s persistent & occasionally you can work something out.  He finally offered what seemed like fair value for Hollywood Brown in Larry Fitz + Sony Michele (off of Sony’s 3 TD game when it seemed like the Pats were committing to the run) - I made the deal. Fitz helped me win 1 game, which was critical to my season, but overall the deal didn’t entirely help me & it definitely helped my trade partner when Hollywood had 2 good games in a row. So unless I’m truly in need, i ain’t trading squat next year. And especially not to a chronic lowball offerer. 

whatcha got?  What gems did you glean that’ll help us win our respective leagues next year? 

Like every year, the post draft grades given by sites like yahoo are inversely correlated with the quality of the team and you get stuff like "LaMaR jAcKsOn Is A mAsSiVe ReAcH iN tHe 7Th RoUnD" type team reviews. The goal is not to be swayed by ADP. Don't believe their lies. Now if I can only remember that in August. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Like every year, the post draft grades given by sites like yahoo are inversely correlated with the quality of the team and you get stuff like "LaMaR jAcKsOn Is A mAsSiVe ReAcH iN tHe 7Th RoUnD" type team reviews. The goal is not to be swayed by ADP. Don't believe their lies. Now if I can only remember that in August. 
Did you forget that last August? 

1.  Spend time at the end of the season looking back at everyone.  The season is fresher.  The trends/injuries/etc make more sense.  Make notes.  It makes the work after the off-season way easier--and your results will probably be better.  I had no Aaron Jones or Chris Godwin in 2018.  I was a big fan of both after reviewing the season in January.  And then you build on that--In 12 leagues I had 6 Godwin shares, 8 Jones shares.  

2.  Don't base your draft on ADP.  Sounds easy enough, common enough.  But I forced some combo of Henry/Howard/Engram in the 5th in almost every league. Had to have Wentz around 7 or 8.  Setting my eyes on those plays before the draft led to some bad picks when other value was there.  Conversely--Lamar was going in what, double digit rounds?  Any point in the draft gives you a win.  But I wasn't going to "reach" and take him before the double digit rounds.  Good players don't reach

3.  Don't overvalue the internet darlings.  This is tricky.  I loved Godwin, and obviously he was a slam dunk.  On the flip side, guys like Darrell Henderson and Darwin Thompson--my God.  I think a guy with a proven track record that seems poised to break out makes sense.  A guy that needs things to go right...you've got to be careful.  And these guys are great upside picks if you're getting them in rounds 12.  But they were going rounds 6, 7, 8 at one point.  

4.  Depth...matters.  I've often felt depth was overrated throughout the years.  Give me the best starting lineup, and we'll dominate come playoff time.  That said, it felt like there were more injuries than in recent years.  Couple that with bye weeks, and I'm starting Mecole Hardman hoping he catches a long 1.  Lose that battle often enough and you're amazing starting lineup is now scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs.  

5.  Going back to Lamar Jackson (and Patrick Mahommes), those late round lottery tickets will absolutely win your league.  Darrell Henderson in round 7 maybe aint it.  But that QB in round 12...Kyler Murray in 2020?

6.  Always re-evaluate players.  I wrote off Davante Parker before the season.  We've seen 4 seasons.  He can't break 800 yards.  I'm literally not even going to look for him in the box scores this year.  Oops.

7.  In Dynasty--avoid risk.  Take the safe rocks and keep building your mountain.  Traded Boyd for Antonio Brown , and I'm still kicking myself

1.  Spend time at the end of the season looking back at everyone.  The season is fresher.  The trends/injuries/etc make more sense.  Make notes.  It makes the work after the off-season way easier--and your results will probably be better.  I had no Aaron Jones or Chris Godwin in 2018.  I was a big fan of both after reviewing the season in January.  And then you build on that--In 12 leagues I had 6 Godwin shares, 8 Jones shares. 
Great suggestion, and something I've already been doing.

Also:

8. Don’t invest in defenses.   
For me that’s easy. My main is an IDP. In dynasty we voted to eliminate both defense & K, and go with 2 more flex spots. 

i will endeavor to convince my dynasty league to go IDP every year, but will likely fail. That would be the best though. 

Did you forget that last August? 
Partially, sometimes there are situations where I see 5 players that seem pretty equal, and maybe I slightly prefer one but everyone else gives some other guy a lower ADP so I just roll with that because maybe it was a player I did not have so I did not follow them much, figuring people paid to write about this stuff know more than I do. Also, sometimes I try and cheat where I really like a player, but their ADP is a round or two later so I try and see if I can wait until then, while if I did not pay attention to ADP I would have just grabbed them there. 

Don't sit on the top waiver pick all season.  A guy in my league had the last pick in the draft, so he started with the top waiver pick.  He finished the season 4-10 because he spent the whole season waiting for the perfect pick.

Don't draft a D using last year's stats.  Just wait until the end, and pick one that plays a crappy team week 1.

Do draft Justin Tucker.  Unlike the musical defenses from year to year, Justin is money.  Top 5 the last 4 years, and no reason to think that will change in 2020.

Statue QB's can't compete with mobile QB's anymore, at least not in FF.  The days of Manning, Brees, etc. leading the league are over.  Rivers is 3rd in passing yardage, Goff is 4th, and both aren't even in the top 12.  

3.  Don't overvalue the internet darlings.  This is tricky.  I loved Godwin, and obviously he was a slam dunk.  On the flip side, guys like Darrell Henderson and Darwin Thompson--my God.  I think a guy with a proven track record that seems poised to break out makes sense.  A guy that needs things to go right...you've got to be careful.  And these guys are great upside picks if you're getting them in rounds 12.  But they were going rounds 6, 7, 8 at one point.  
I really like this one. It's kind of the flip side of the complaints about ff being luck because there's so much easily accessible information online now. I use this board as a primary source of information, in many cases more than any pay site info I have access to. In the end I make and am responsible for my own evaluations, but it's easy to get sucked into the hype trains, particularly because I respect a lot of the posters in here. There's also a lot of FOMO when guys get hyped up.

Specific to dynasty: I'll briefly add that you can trade too much (or at least I* can trade too much). I'm overly restless with my rosters, constantly tinkering. Trading is a huge part of the fun in dynasty so I will continue to do it, but sometimes it's good to just leave solid pieces in place to see what happens.  

WAIT on QB. I didn’t do it nearly enough this year and there were so many options throughout the season. Wait. Wait. Wait. 
Agreed.

I drafted Roethlisberger and Stafford, ended up with Cousins in the playoffs.  It didn't matter.  QB was not the difference, Drafting Thomas at 1.9 and Julio at 2.4 was the difference.

Carson (3) and Jacobs (4) were excellent, so glad I took Jacobs who many considered a reach.  Don't be afraid to reach a little for a player you really like.

ADP showed value in selecting Kupp, Lindsay, Drake(held for a long time) and Sutton.

Waiting on D and TE allowed me to get Hooper (9th TE taken) and NE DEF (12th taken, I got lucky here)

Ignore bye weeks when drafting in the first 5-6 rounds.  I had Thomas, Julio and Kupp all with a bye on week 9.  It really didn't matter.

Read Dodd's perfect draft article.

WAIT on QB. I didn’t do it nearly enough this year and there were so many options throughout the season. Wait. Wait. Wait. 
Depends on league size. In my 16 team league with a waiver system, I drafted Goff around QB 12, and Cousins as the first backup QB. Cousins saved my QB position. The team relying solely on Rivers was never able to get a good replacement. 

Depends on league size. In my 16 team league with a waiver system, I drafted Goff around QB 12, and Cousins as the first backup QB. Cousins saved my QB position. The team relying solely on Rivers was never able to get a good replacement. 
This was the first year that waiting on QB hurt for me. Got Big Ben late in a 12 team league and elected to stream if he got hurt. He did. Immediately. 

I streamed to no avail. Made the wrong choice every week. It was almost comical. 

I agree on this.  In my 16 teamer with high QB scoring and 3 keepers, selected Ryan in the 4th (1st round after keepers).

Nothing new from previous years, but draft as many RBs as your roster can fit to avoid getting stuck when injuries inevitably happen.

But be selective about which RBs to get  - try to assess who could/would be a workhorse if the incumbent went down versus who would be stuck in a useless RBBC.

Tucker is great, but Lutz is #1 this year and can be drafted later. Plus, he plays in a dome and more good weather cities. I trust Brees to stay healthy. They should go 1 and 2 next year, earlier than most are willing to draft. 

It's best not to draw too many conclusions from what happened to one individual fantasy team in one individual year.
Agree. Fantasy seasons are too short to draw many conclusions. It takes more than 10 NFL seasons to reach the number of games in 1 MLB season. Most of everything we see is random. Embracing the randomness is the best lesson imo. There usually aren’t many actual important fantasy assets for an entire season. Get as many of those 25 or so players as you can and don’t stress about who your 3rd WR is or a lack of depth at RB. There are always random players popping up to fill those spots if you pay attention.

It's best not to draw too many conclusions from what happened to one individual fantasy team in one individual year.
Agreed, which is why I evaluate for all my leagues, and also look at the draft board to revisit how I drafted & try to remember my rationale for passing up player X for player Y, and why I didn’t even notice player Z who was better than both. 

which brings me to my #4.

Revisit your league draft board. Be it through league software or a photo you too at the draft (I’m old school like that) it’s worth taking a last look to see how you drafted & how your league-mates drafted try to figure out possible strategic advantages - and yes, that’s just one league, but it’s valuable to evaluate not only your own draft but the way your leaguemates drafted. If you know Team ABC goes RB early or waits on a QB or reaches for IDP early, it can help you if you’re drafting adjacent to that person next season. 

Also #5.

While I agree about using one’s waiver claim rather than sitting on it, equally true is holding players for at least 4 weeks to see how things shake out. I dropped my 18th round pick, QB2 JimmyG after 2 down games believing my Niners were going to be run-1st, win with defense kinda team. Then RB injury & defense injury happened and Air JimmyG shows up ending up a top 5 QB ROS, helping another team to the playoffs. Fortunately someone did the same with Cousins, and I managed to start the right QB between Cousins & Wentz to a 2nd place $,  but it caused a lot more weekly stress than set it & forget it JimmyG would have been.

So imma tell myself “self - hold those ponies to see what happens, dummy!” It would have cost me nothing to keep JimmyG rostered, and it was a bad drop. 

2.  Don't base your draft on ADP.  Sounds easy enough, common enough.  But I forced some combo of Henry/Howard/Engram in the 5th in almost every league. Had to have Wentz around 7 or 8.  Setting my eyes on those plays before the draft led to some bad picks when other value was there.  Conversely--Lamar was going in what, double digit rounds?  Any point in the draft gives you a win.  But I wasn't going to "reach" and take him before the double digit rounds.  Good players don't reach

4.  Depth...matters.  I've often felt depth was overrated throughout the years.  Give me the best starting lineup, and we'll dominate come playoff time.  That said, it felt like there were more injuries than in recent years.  Couple that with bye weeks, and I'm starting Mecole Hardman hoping he catches a long 1.  Lose that battle often enough and you're amazing starting lineup is now scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs.  

5.  Going back to Lamar Jackson (and Patrick Mahommes), those late round lottery tickets will absolutely win your league.  Darrell Henderson in round 7 maybe aint it.  But that QB in round 12...Kyler Murray in 2020?

6.  Always re-evaluate players.  I wrote off Davante Parker before the season.  We've seen 4 seasons.  He can't break 800 yards.  I'm literally not even going to look for him in the box scores this year.  Oops.

7.  In Dynasty--avoid risk.  Take the safe rocks and keep building your mountain.  Traded Boyd for Antonio Brown , and I'm still kicking myself
I was guilty of both 6 and 7 this season.

Agree. Fantasy seasons are too short to draw many conclusions. It takes more than 10 NFL seasons to reach the number of games in 1 MLB season. Most of everything we see is random. Embracing the randomness is the best lesson imo. There usually aren’t many actual important fantasy assets for an entire season. Get as many of those 25 or so players as you can and don’t stress about who your 3rd WR is or a lack of depth at RB. There are always random players popping up to fill those spots if you pay attention.
That was one of my take-aways from seasons past, and it worked well for me this year.  But that’s not antithetical to this topic - it’s just a mile-high postmortem observation. :)  

I tend to focus less on what player did what and instead use the anecdotal evidence to drive higher level decisions with regard to strategy, philosophy, in-season transaction, etc. 

Pay attention to changes in coaches. Not just HC but also OC. I'll issue this warning on Greg Roman. If he goes to a team with a 3 down RB, you no longer have a 3 down RB. He stinks if you have a normal passing QB. His gig only works with a running QB and a stud OL. Even then, this was the 1st year he's produced an O better than 10th in points or yards.

Mixon: New coach, new scheme, miserable failure until someone told them that at the end of 2018, Mixon was running like a madman with a different blocking scheme. They ended up going back to it. Too late as Mixon probably buried your redraft hopes.

Monken: ...'nuff said. When your offense completely falls apart, you can now say it got 'Monkened'.

This coming year: Panthers and McCaffrey. Real good chance he's seen his best years. Can't imagine someone comes in and gives him the same touches and the QB situation is now a mess. Get someone stupid in there and you got yourself Todd Gurley.

Anywhere Gase is, run away as fast as possible.

This coming year: Panthers and McCaffrey. Real good chance he's seen his best years. Can't imagine someone comes in and gives him the same touches and the QB situation is now a mess. Get someone stupid in there and you got yourself Todd Gurley.
Great point. I was thinking about this yesterday on news of McCarthy interviewing. He might not be too bad for CMC, but he tends to lean on a breather back a bit too much. I spent a lot of years chasing the “next great GB running back” during his tenure, and was largely disappointed. 

Great point. I was thinking about this yesterday on news of McCarthy interviewing. He might not be too bad for CMC, but he tends to lean on a breather back a bit too much. I spent a lot of years chasing the “next great GB running back” during his tenure, and was largely disappointed. 
McCarthy would be ok for McCaffrey because he actually knows that the best players should be out there as much as possible. 

Before Eddie Lacy got totally out of shape, McCarthy used him really extensively. Over his first 2 seasons, Lacy had 530 carries, 77 receptions, 3000 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs. I think with a player as talented as CMC, McCarthy will get him the ball. 

Statue QB's can't compete with mobile QB's anymore, at least not in FF.  The days of Manning, Brees, etc. leading the league are over.  Rivers is 3rd in passing yardage, Goff is 4th, and both aren't even in the top 12.  
Certainly some truth to that. However, the issue with Goff and Rivers is their TD:Int numbers are really holding them back. Goff had 19/16, Rivers has 21/18. In my 6 pt per passing TD league (which I think is important to use to even the playing field on these rushing QBs), here are the top QBs in PPG:

1. Lamar 2. Stafford 3. Brees 4. Mahomes 5. Wilson 

So there was still room for traditional passers at the top of fantasy. 

6. Look over the last four or five games of the season to see what players performed the best down the stretch. Some of those guys may have struggled early due to injury or team surrounding them, and those may well be some of the best bargains next year. on the other side of that coin, look at the guys who started hot and faded badly down the stretch. These are the observations that can lead you more upside or help you avoid potential busts.

6. Look over the last four or five games of the season to see what players performed the best down the stretch. Some of those guys may have struggled early due to injury or team surrounding them, and those may well be some of the best bargains next year. on the other side of that coin, look at the guys who started hot and faded badly down the stretch. These are the observations that can lead you more upside or help you avoid potential busts.
There’s tremendous value in this. And I think it’s important to do it at the end of the season. Because you tend remember who has run hot, and who were the Hot pickups etc.

As the spring and summer unfold, you forget those trends. And it’s harder to take them back up then when it is fresh in your mind.

IMO, in season long H2H, everyone wants to treat FF like it's a science to make it sounder cooler - it's not.  There is very little you can glean now that won't be common knowledge come draft time.  

Accept that once you get in the playoffs, it's pretty much anybody's championship to win.

In my championship, I started 7 guys off waivers (nine player team) -  5 acquired after week 11. There is no science there.

IHEARTFF said:
Don’t chase touchdowns. Whoever picks Aaron Jones in the 1st will probably suck next year. 
 I think trying to predict regression to the mean both ways is super important. 

Patrick Mahomes was a great candidate to fall back to earth. And if you didn’t take him in the second, you’re patting yourself on the back for that decision. 

On the flipside of that, I look at Fournette His volume, yards and the lack of touchdowns—I think he has to be in for some positive touchdown regression next season.

IMO, in season long H2H, everyone wants to treat FF like it's a science to make it sounder cooler - it's not.  There is very little you can glean now that won't be common knowledge come draft time.  

Accept that once you get in the playoffs, it's pretty much anybody's championship to win.

In my championship, I started 7 guys off waivers (nine player team) -  5 acquired after week 11. There is no science there.
 It is absolutely anyone’s championship to win once the playoffs begin. And that is very frustrating when you feel like you’ve worked really hard, and you really know your stuff. If you’ve been one of the top teams all season, it’s frustrating getting knocked off to the six seed with the third string Buccaneers receiver. 

The flipside of that, is to remember that you’re always alive. I’ve entered more than one playoffs as the last seed and stole championship.

While there’s some truth to this (e.g. the luck / WW factor) you’re disregarding that most teams make it to the playoffs with depth. Like a xmas tree - the pickups are the ornaments, but your core team is the tree itself. I started 5 guys off the WW in my LCG as well, but it’s the depth of my roster that got me there. 

so I disagree with the “can’t glean anything” - heck, from your post alone one can divine “be active on the WW/& with FA pickups” philosophy, so you’re contradicting yourself a bit. 

Patrick Mahomes was a great candidate to fall back to earth. And if you didn’t take him in the second, you’re patting yourself on the back for that decision. 

On the flipside of that, I look at Fournette His volume, yards and the lack of touchdowns—I think he has to be in for some positive touchdown regression next season.
Good call on the other way ala Fournette. Even Mahomes may become a draft value  ext year since he was a little underwhelming this year. 

My worry with Fournette would be they add a better 2nd RB there. He got a lot of work but wasn’t very effective with it. He seemed to have his career year in terms of work and health but just wasn’t efficient and suffered bad luck with TDs. I don’t know if he can repeat that kind of workload again.

My worry with Fournette would be they add a better 2nd RB there. He got a lot of work but wasn’t very effective with it. He seemed to have his career year in terms of work and health but just wasn’t efficient and suffered bad luck with TDs. I don’t know if he can repeat that kind of workload again.
Someone in my dynasty league must be a real believer, because they just paid a 2020 first round pick (1.06), a 2021 first round pick, and justice hill for him.  :shock:

One lesson from this year imo was that once you have injury news or a significant red flag, you should probably go ahead and get what you can.  I can count on one hand the number of guys who returned to form to be useful down the stretch (Saquon?).  Far more often, owners who could have probably gotten out from under them got left holding the bag wondering when their guy will be back and if he'll get any real work load when he is.

Whatever you could have gotten the day Mahomes, AJ Green, Hilton, Fuller, Conner, JuJu, Bell, Cooper, Alshon, Engram, Theilen, Kerryon, TColeman/Breida, etc got injured certainly would have helped you more than keeping them.  The list is so long, I just picked some off the top of my head.

While there’s some truth to this (e.g. the luck / WW factor) you’re disregarding that most teams make it to the playoffs with depth. Like a xmas tree - the pickups are the ornaments, but your core team is the tree itself. I started 5 guys off the WW in my LCG as well, but it’s the depth of my roster that got me there. 

so I disagree with the “can’t glean anything” - heck, from your post alone one can divine “be active on the WW/& with FA pickups” philosophy, so you’re contradicting yourself a bit. 
Anyone can win a championship in a three week one-and-out tournament, of course.  Did it once going in at 5-8 due to some early rules that hadn't contemplated such sucky randomness. :oldunsure:

However, better teams - those that average more points, and have more depth and ability to sub for matchups / weather - have a better probability to win.

Now, to get there? As stated above, there is no one path.

In one of my two winning teams, Mt first picks were: Conner, Gurley, Antonio Brown, Melvin Gordon, Sony Michel, Tyler Boyd, Hunter Henry, Wentz, Corey Davis :sadbanana: , Lamar Jackson.

I was a trading fiend. Those crossed out were traded for, ultimately: Zeke Elliott, Miles Sanders, and Singletary, Keenan Allen, Golladay, and Davante Parker (picked up Mostert along the way)

My other team saw me take Conner, Tyreek Hill, Aaron Jones, Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders (grabbed Lamar again late, and John Brown very late. Took  Corey Davis again :rant: but because of that also AJ Brown, whom I dropped but later picked back up).

Lessons:

1. I am still skeptical of the 'just wait forever and pick the years breakout QB. yes, IF you get lucky with the late QB sensation, it will position you well for a championship. but, you need a team around that and genre's no guarantee the pick you choose is the one. Are we all picking K Murray (or the other guy if he's not it)? Only 1/12 of us will.

2. There is no one best strategy re: trading VS. sitting still and working the wire.  In one league I made a half dozen trades. Acquired then traded D. Hopkins along the way. Was nuts... but I ended up unloading guys before they lost value (or all their value in one case). My other league? ZERO trades. Kinda lame but just not a trading group. Either can work (With some skill and more luck)

3. RBs are still FFs best currency.  Both of my teams loaded up with RBs on 4/5 picks early on. In one, this gave me depth and a flex while overcoming a bust #1 and working the wire. In the other, my RBs help me facilitate a series of key trades, including getting rid of guys who had some risk associated ala Antonio Brown.  So, those early RBs were key. Getting lucky on the next break late pick QB season can't be banked upon so easily.

Be meticulous in trades. Easy Right? Well not me a vet evidently I threw out 5 trades trying to get a wr for kelce when I thought I cleverly picked up Henry and he went ham his first week back. The first manager to accept was obj owner. 

IHEARTFF said:
Don’t chase touchdowns. Whoever picks Aaron Jones in the 1st will probably suck next year. 
Jones has over 1500 yards from scrimmage. Even if he only scores half as many TD's next year thats still a pretty decent showing for a  first round pick. He's not LaGarette Blount. 

Users who are viewing this thread