What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone play the Banjo? Got one for Christmas (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
Anyone play in here?

My daughter bought me a Banjo for Christmas now I need to learn how to play it. She bought a couple of books as well, but need to know what kind of picks are recommended. 

Any tips from the players out there?

Anyone play in here?

My daughter bought me a Banjo for Christmas now I need to learn how to play it. She bought a couple of books as well, but need to know what kind of picks are recommended. 

Any tips from the players out there?
My dad got me into bluegrass when I was a kid and I tried to learn the banjo when I was about 10 or so but didn't have the patience. After I gave up on it, my dad picked it up. He already knew how to play guitar, so he had the musical foundation. He also built his own banjo (from a kit, but still cool to the younger version of me) and it's one of only two things of his I will fight for when he passes (the other being the guitar he's had since shortly after I was born).

As for picks, you can use individual picks for your first two fingers and one on your thumb.

Underrated instrument.

Sadly, I have no advice, but keep us updated. Good luck.

Leroy Hoard said:

5?

There are 2 main types of banjos (4-string and 5-string) and each produces a different sound and is used for different types of music.

4-string banjos are strummed like a guitar or a ukulele, and were popular in old-time jazz/ragtime/dixieland/music hall songs.

The 5-string banjo is typically plucked with the fingers (instead of strummed) and produces a continuous "roll" of individual notes. The 5th string is shorter and produces a high-pitched "drone" sound which alternates with the notes plucked on the other strings. This is the type of banjo that you're more likely to hear in country and bluegrass music.

Here is a guy playing both types of music on a 5-string banjo.

My dad played banjo in a bluegrass band when I was a kid, and always had his banjo or guitar with him when we went camping or on other family trips.  He used to play at county fairs and country bars with his buddies, probably getting paid in beer.  He took me along to bluegrass and dixieland festivals around the midwest.   I got his banjo when he died a couple years ago, but doubt I'll ever learn to play.  My dad played the Earl Scruggs three finger bluegrass style, with a pick on his thumb, index and middle fingers.

I love a good bluegrass banjo player.  My current favorites are Charlie Cushman, who plays with Jerry Douglas' all star band among numerous other side projects, and Norm Pikelny, who plays in Chris Thile's band - the Punch Brothers.  Of course, my current favorite changes from year to year, show to show.

In terms of which picks to use and which style to play, there are a dozen or more answers - two finger, three finger, clawhammer - just in the bluegrass realm.  But banjo isn't limited to bluegrass - there are great jazz banjo players, dixieland style or more traditional, Irish folk style (which I love) and numerous others.  I think Bela Fleck has probably mastered every one of them, so his records and videos are a great resource.

Good luck with it and have fun Mr. Pack.  I think my fingers are too old and stiff to ever be able to pick something like that up, but I'd love to try some day.

I play...well not very well but I play. Buy a digital tuner and start with some lessons. Banjo for beginners is a good starting book. I took lessons for about 3 months now maybe once a month. I do however work through books. I try to practice 30 min 5 x a week. Been playing about a year. Can play a few tunes. 

see if any music stores have jam sessions and attend. It’s a god way to find an instructor. Jim Pankey has some excellent videos on youtube also. 

a good beginner book will cover the finger picks. I use two metal and one plastic for thumb. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my fingers are too old and stiff to ever be able to pick something like that up, but I'd love to try some day.
I have a trigger finger pretty bad on my left ring finger, before I can play anything decent I have to get that fixed. I was just picking a little and my finger locks onto the neck....lol

I play...well not very well but I play. Buy a digital tuner and start with some lessons. Banjo for beginners is a good starting book. I took lessons for about 3 months now maybe once a month. I do however work through books. I try to practice 30 min 5 x a week. Been playing about a year. Can play a few tunes. 

see if any music stores have jam sessions and attend. It’s a god way to find an instructor. Jim Pankey has some excellent videos on youtube also. 

a good beginner book will cover the finger picks. I use two metal and one plastic for thumb. 
Bought a strap, tuner and picks. I bought 3 metal ones but may get a plastic one for the thumb, been reading and people say it works better

One other thing. You can buy a bridge for the strings to make it play a lot quieter. Get one. Your family will thank you 😁

When I was first learning how to play, the picks felt VERY uncomfortable and unnatural on my fingers. So, I actually learned how to pluck the strings with just my fingertips. And that worked OK for a while. But as you start to play faster and faster rolls, you realize that the picks are essential. Now I use them exclusively (metal on fingers, plastic on thumb).

I like the sound of the banjo.  It fascinates me.  Always seems like there is more sound coming from the instrument than what the fingers seem to be producing.

Instructional youtube videos and tablature are your friends. You don't need to pay for lessons in the age of youtube. Plenty of people happy to give you insights for free and you don't have to leave home.

Instructional youtube videos and tablature are your friends. You don't need to pay for lessons in the age of youtube. Plenty of people happy to give you insights for free and you don't have to leave home.
I agree however when first learning it’s very helpful to make sure you have someone review your technique. For example with the banjo is your right hand properly picking the strings or is it shaped like a claw?  You can get away with poor technique in the beginning with banjo playing however to play fast you cannot have poor technique.  Or are you holding the neck properly with your left hand?  An instructor can catch these mistakes. 

Hey, @Mr.Pack, this song came up on my Spotify playlist this morning and I was reminded of this thread.  For a little background, the band was/is local to the MD/VA/DC area, started in the early 70's and despite just staying mostly local, they had some world class musicians at their respectful instruments, the mandolin player and the dobro player specifically. This was the band that got me interested in bluegrass and I can't count how many times I was fortunate enough to see them with my dad at their favorite little club in northern VA, the Birchmere, now a must-stop for many artists. All of the original members have retired, but the band continues on with the same name.

What isn't made clear on the video but I can confirm is that while the banjo player isn't singing lead vocals, he is the one filling in behind the lead singer.  I'm just about certain this band was the first band to integrate more modern forms of music into their act and give it a bluegrass spin. They themselves dubbed this style 'acid grass'. Hope you enjoy and this gives you something to aim for.

I have always loved blue grass and really have been getting into string bands lately like Old Crow and the Dead South. So when I saw this thread I thought to myself I want to do that. I went today to check out banjos and there was a dobro right next to them. I was scoping it out when the sales guy started talking to me. I asked him what would be easier to learn the dobro or the banjo, he replied the dobro. He stated one of the best reasons to choose the dobro was if you learned that you would be basically learning two instruments the guitar and dobro. Really nice guy but it turns out he would be giving the lessons on the dobro but didn't do the banjo. So I guess my question is would it actually be easier to learn the dobro or was he just trying to get a new student.

Users who are viewing this thread