What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (3 Viewers)

That's exactly what I noticed about combine and game highlights. He knows how to use his speed situationally. That's huge. It's something guys like Darrius Heyward-Bey and others never could quite get the hang of (well, that and basic field awareness). Watch Ruggs run the forty. He doesn't run it like a pure football player nor a pure sprinter. He runs it easy, chest thrown back.There's no lean at the end of the tape like a sprinter. It probably cost him .05 and the record. But watch his football tape. He's over his center of gravity, a bit forward like he's crossing tape in sprint. It's illuminating to watch both back to back. Somebody double check, but the style disparity jumped out at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Matt Bowen compares Alabama WR Henry Ruggs to Kansas City Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill. 

Stylistically, it is hard not to see the Ruggs-Hill comparison. As Bowen writes, Ruggs is "a blazer with game-breaking speed to rip off explosive plays at all three levels of the field," which is a description that fits Hill just the same. That being said, Hill is the absolute peak for a player of that kind of skill set, so it is likely a bit optimistic to project Ruggs to have that kind of success. Something closer to peak Mike Wallace, who was a top-three YAC and deep threat in the league at the time, is a more apt and reasonable expectation for Ruggs. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 9, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

I actually hope that he is good and that he’s highly rated by scouts and goes high in the draft. NFL teams seem to love speed so it’s entirely probable to me that he’s right there with Jeudy and Lamb in their eyes. 

And mainly because I’m sitting at 1.07 in the rookie draft and boxed in with being absolutely in need of an RB with the pick. Right now it looks like to me that 1.06 gives you a great possibility of   a top tier RB ( Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Akers ) falling to you if someone takes Jeudy or Lamb. If Ruggs can get in the mix also then that would be even better. 

I actually hope that he is good and that he’s highly rated by scouts and goes high in the draft. NFL teams seem to love speed so it’s entirely probable to me that he’s right there with Jeudy and Lamb in their eyes. 

And mainly because I’m sitting at 1.07 in the rookie draft and boxed in with being absolutely in need of an RB with the pick. Right now it looks like to me that 1.06 gives you a great possibility of   a top tier RB ( Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Akers ) falling to you if someone takes Jeudy or Lamb. If Ruggs can get in the mix also then that would be even better. 
I keep mocking over at CBS Fantasy Pros from 1.06 and 1.07 and there's always a top running back and then Ruggs there. Not sure what formula they're using, but that's how it's falling. Of course, when individuals are drafting that all goes out the window, but...

I keep mocking over at CBS Fantasy Pros from 1.06 and 1.07 and there's always a top running back and then Ruggs there. Not sure what formula they're using, but that's how it's falling. Of course, when individuals are drafting that all goes out the window, but...
Yeah that’s kind of what I’m afraid of, that 1.07 is basically going to end up being a choice of RBs outside of those top four and WRs outside of Jeudy and Lamb. Desperate for Akers to fall to 1.07 

Yeah that’s kind of what I’m afraid of, that 1.07 is basically going to end up being a choice of RBs outside of those top four and WRs outside of Jeudy and Lamb. Desperate for Akers to fall to 1.07 
I totally understand and expect in my league for the top 4 rbs to come off 1-4

Anyone know why the draft prop for Ruggs (over/under 15.5) is seemingly no longer available ? Both my on-lines had it up until about a week ago, but now they don't. All the other props have been adjusting their odds, but this one was pulled completely. 

P.S. I thought the under 15.5 was a steal. 

BigTex said:
I'm a believer..............100%. I think the talent of the 3 is a lot closer than many may believe.

Tex
Redskins fans would shat eggrolls of joy if we land Chase and pickup 3 extra picks. ;)  

2020 NFL Draft: Who should be the first wide receiver selected?

Excerpts:

Brian Baldinger

Writer | NFL.com 

Ruggs brings element that can't be matched

Henry Ruggs is my No. 1 receiver in this year's draft class simply because he changes the game the most. He brings a different kind of speed that will give defenses major problems -- remember, he ran a 4.27-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and was disappointed. He's like the Cheetah, Tyreek Hill, but bigger and stronger. That's a dangerous skill set.

David Carr

Writer | NFL.com 

Ruggs is a combination of two of NFL's top deep threats

One of these players will elevate an offense to different heights, and as good as Jeudy and Lamb are, they aren't the lightning-in-a-bottle player that you can't take your eyes off. Ruggs is. The speedster is a combination of DeSean Jackson and Tyreek Hill. He has home run ability from anywhere on the field.

Ruggs is a very good receiver. I expect him to be the first WR drafted, and he should be, but that doesn't make him the best receiver in this class.

Draft position has historically been a great predictor for success. However, the other factors baked into draft position must be considered. If not, those more strictly adhering to draft position will probably select Ruggs sooner than they should. Similarly, rookies that can perform as return men will go higher than they would purely due to their WR ability. That will probably hinder me from grabbing a player Reagor as much as I would like.

If you are a Ruggs believer (I am), you'll likely need to pay an extra premium to get him (I'm not), unless you get points for double / over the top coverage.

Ruggs is a very good receiver. I expect him to be the first WR drafted, and he should be, but that doesn't make him the best receiver in this class.

Draft position has historically been a great predictor for success. However, the other factors baked into draft position must be considered. If not, those more strictly adhering to draft position will probably select Ruggs sooner than they should. Similarly, rookies that can perform as return men will go higher than they would purely due to their WR ability. That will probably hinder me from grabbing a player Reagor as much as I would like.

If you are a Ruggs believer (I am), you'll likely need to pay an extra premium to get him (I'm not), unless you get points for double / over the top coverage.
Fuller effect. But I should have won my fantasy game. They played double coverage the whole time!

Fuller effect. But I should have won my fantasy game. They played double coverage the whole time!
Yes! With Hopkins gone, this season will be interesting for Fuller. Perhaps it will turn into actual victories for you! Fuller will see an overall production bump even with the lost efficiency. However, I think he'll still mostly make everyone else better. It takes too many variables to be right for that type of game changer to reap the stats. That is the issue I see with Ruggs. Either he won't be that good, or he will be that good but mostly make everyone else better, with sporadic flashes, of course.

I know everyone is debating the order of the big 3 non stop, but the only trend I've at least somewhat seen is that Ruggs is going last of the 3.  Haven't seen many people at all having him first WR off the board.

The old man would be making a great pick.   Too bad he didn’t make many of these at the of his life.  
I'd already covered this in my own head. It'd be nice to see Al alive and what he'd do at number three (and the way he drafted and hired, the Raiders would be sitting at three). He'd be having a fit about Taylor, Ruggs, and Claypool and their respective forties at their positions and size. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Jets have been eyeing Alabama WR Henry Ruggs "very closely."

Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb are all likely on the Jets' radar, but it's unclear what their order is. It's also unclear if they are leaning towards a receiver or an offensive tackle with their No. 11 pick. Vacchiano notes the Jets may go offensive tackle, assuming one of the consensus top four options are available, given the depth of the receiver position. One thing that is clear: Sam Darnold needs help. Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman are fine in their respected roles, but New York is missing an alpha receiver. Expect the Jets to go fishing for one with a top-100 pick.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Apr 15, 2020, 7:27 PM ET

Ruggs is my boy. But damnit, please don't go to the Jets. Thats like falling in love with a beautiful woman then finding out her father is Adam Gase. 

Ruggs is my boy. But damnit, please don't go to the Jets. Thats like falling in love with a beautiful woman then finding out her father is Adam Gase. 
I feel the same about Lamb. I actually think Darnold could develop into a decent QB, but Gase just seems dead set on destroying everything in his path.

The Athletic's Ted Nguyen gives Alabama WR Henry Ruggs play strength a "C" grade.

Interestingly, Nguyen still gives Ruggs (6'0/190) an "A" grade on separation, but most of that is due to the fact that the former Crimson Tide wideout is just much, much faster than most with a 4.28 time in the 40-yard dash. "He can get harassed by physical cornerbacks, isn’t much of a threat to break tackles, and is a poor blocker," the analyst writes. Nguyen also dismisses the comparison to Tyreek Hill; noting that Hill has a stocky frame and has "excellent" play strength. The overall report is positive -- he believes Ruggs might have the highest ceiling in this draft -- but it's definitely something teams will have to keep in mind; assuming they have similar concerns, of course. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 18, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

came across this bit....

Henry Ruggs in his final year at Alabama had 746 receiving yards.

At a 13% target share. That is nuts. 

1163 yds @ 25% target share
Hmmm... doesn't seem TOO far apart.   Also have to wonder why he wasn't being targetted.  Maybe he isn't that great at getting open unless it's a deep ball where he's going to rack up big yards on each catch?

Hmmm... doesn't seem TOO far apart.   Also have to wonder why he wasn't being targetted.  Maybe he isn't that great at getting open unless it's a deep ball where he's going to rack up big yards on each catch?
I havent noticed him not getting open. I really don't understand why he wasn't targeted more. Chalk it up to another Josh Jacobs type scenario at Alabama.

I havent noticed him not getting open. I really don't understand why he wasn't targeted more. Chalk it up to another Josh Jacobs type scenario at Alabama.
Fair enough.  I didn't watch a ton of their games so I can't really comment on it with much certainty.  Just seems like a speedster deepball type player would typically have a lot of yards on fewer catches/targets.

I'm sure Ruggs was deployed as decoy to clear out the deck for Jeudy and Waddle.  Every defensive opponent had to respect Ruggs' speed.  

came across this bit....

Henry Ruggs in his final year at Alabama had 746 receiving yards.

At a 13% target share. That is nuts. 
So for roughly every 8 passes, Ruggs got 1 target. I understand he was playing with excellent teammates but that’s what, 3 or 4 targets per game? If that rate happens in the NFL we’re looking at frustrating boom-bust lines of 2 catches for 50 every week. 

I have Ruggs and Jefferson in the same range, just after Lamb/Jeudy. Kind of a tough call for me, and seems like a matter of preference: a potential ppr compiler in Jefferson or a more explosive chunk play guy in Ruggs. Plus both guys seem underrated in opposite ways. Jefferson’s athleticism is better than most were crediting (at least before the combine) and   I agree with those who view Ruggs’s game as more well-rounded than the typical downfield speedster. 

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but Ruggs’s TD efficiency is pretty intriguing (24 TDs on 98 receptions in 3 years). 

Edgar said:
So for roughly every 8 passes, Ruggs got 1 target. I understand he was playing with excellent teammates but that’s what, 3 or 4 targets per game? If that rate happens in the NFL we’re looking at frustrating boom-bust lines of 2 catches for 50 every week. 
My point in posting that is that yes, college production/yards is often a good predictor of NFL success, but some people will look at that 750 yards he had and be turned off. I was just noting that his 13% target share needs to be taken into account.

It is also an assumption that he will get 3-4 targets a game. If he is drafted high which may be the case, he will be used like a high draft pick.

Users who are viewing this thread