What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (2 Viewers)

Totally will take getting used to, just like it did when they were in the city of angels.

Regardless, from the Bay to LA to Vegas, Raiders till we die.

Playing in a slick Death Star definitely takes some of the edge off.

Super psyched to take the next step. This team is poised for excellence. Draft will add the last piece or two we need to take the league by storm.

Just win, baby.
I’ll legitimately miss the baseball infield. 

i know people hate it. I love it. It was one of the quirks of the “shared stadium” that’s now extinct. 

and it absolutely impacted the game, mostly kicking. 

“Derek Carr doesn’t make players around him better” Michael Crabtree had his best consecutive years when he first came to Oakland. Jared Cook has played with Rodgers & Brees, but had his career years with Derek. Anybody know who Darren Waller was? Top targets FLOURISH with #4.

Trying to have a civil, logical conversation here. Try to keep up. 

Here’s a hockey related one from 2012 about dark jersey’s teams getting more penalties that light jerseys.

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383136/power-dis-play-teams-in-black-draw-more-penalties

But this one is more interesting from Psychology Today article from 2016 with this quote "The results revealed that, when seeing the same play, referees were more likely to call a penalty against a team when it wore black uniforms compared to white uniforms."

full article here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/attitude-check/201610/do-uniform-colors-matter-in-sports
Hey Joey... so I’m not a troll...but I am open to some back and forth when I see something that seems a little sideways. I have no problem playing the devils advocate and calling out something I disagree with on a message board. I too want to be civil....I may not do it the right way and it might come of a little confrontational or snarky and some people don’t like that and are a little over sensitive.  Many times people don’t want to hear something that goes against their views and actually makes sense. Many of the guys in here suggesting ignore are the same guys from the Tyreek Hill thread last spring and summer that made knee jerk self righteous judgements against him without knowing any of the actual details/information.  As it turns out, I was right to say let’s pump the breaks, and they were wrong.  People don’t like being wrong, let alone admitting it. There are about 50 pages of this you can review starting in about March of that thread.

But what I am..... is a sports official....who has been officiating football, baseball, and basketball at the high school and college level for about 27 years.  Since 1993.  So the one of the biggest things that bugs me on these forums is when people think that the refs have an agenda.  I know what it takes to work at the high school level and college level, let alone at the highest level in the world.  I know the amount of time, dedication, commitment and time away from family that officiating requires. 

When an official walks on a field/court....you can question their judgement, positioning, hustle, knowledge of the rules, etc.....but the one thing you can’t really question is their integrity.  So when you guys actually think the NFL has somehow passed on to 112+ officials each year to intentionally screw the Raiders....it bugs the #### out of me.  If your integrity is ever in doubt, you won’t really ever work anything more than middle school games or rec ball.  As officials, our integrity  is all we have to fall back on on.  The guys working in the NFL have made their way up from high school, to JUCO, to DIV III, to DIV II, to DIV I....and then finally to the show.  They are not going to get to the highest level and then piss all that away and all of a sudden be “on the take”.  Yeah NBA’s Tim Donnahay or whatever his name was is an outlier, but for the most part 99% of officials are on the up and up.  

So when I here Raider fan say....”the officials go out of their way to blatantly screw us every week”....it bugs me and seems really lame.

I ask you Joey....do you really....I mean REALLY think that the NFL has told the 112 plus officials every year to make sure they “screw” the Raiders every week?.....and that they actually risk tossing away their integrity and jeopardize the work they have put in to get to the highest level......careful how you answer that....

If it’s yes....then I ask you how you actually think that gets presented/suggested/implemented to them...?....how is that message conveyed to them.....and not once in “all these years that it has been happening”....has one official come out and said the NFL told me to screw the Raiders....

I get it....you guys feel like you have been on the bad side of some calls.....bad teams seem to have more things go against them....funny how that works.....but now people are saying what Al did 20 years ago or something....or wearing black uniforms....officials are doing it subconsciously or whatever else...and to you guys it’s your “reality”.... so you will get defensive if somebody tells you it sounds like whining and some real weak sauce.....

So I ask you again....do you REALLY think the NFL has told the 112+ officials to screw the Raiders....

If it’s no....then quit perpetuating/participating in  the whining....

Go Chiefs.....!!!... :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chadstroma said:
“Derek Carr doesn’t make players around him better” Michael Crabtree had his best consecutive years when he first came to Oakland. Jared Cook has played with Rodgers & Brees, but had his career years with Derek. Anybody know who Darren Waller was? Top targets FLOURISH with #4.
Crabtree's best year was with the Niners, but Carr did use him pretty well.  Cook was good with the Raiders and Carr utilized him well.  He also spent one year in GB where he only played in 10 games and one year with the Saints where he had less yards, but more TDs than his last season with the Raiders.  Neither Cook or Crabtree had a huge season with the Raiders.  Carr does not elevate the team.  He is bad under pressure, refuses to throw the ball down the field and gives up on plays far too often.  I'm ready to move on.

OK, early draft takes.

So there is no way that Jeudy, Okudah, or Simmons (even though I don't think S is our need) is there for us.

Will Lamb fall to us? If he does, seems like a no-brainer pick, anyone disagree? Anyone think a guy like Ruggs or Higgins is actually a better pick?

For our pick at #19, do we simply go LB in a guy like Kenneth Murray? Is QB (Herbert/Eason/Fomme/Love) even worth it here compared to other positions of need? Is Murray worth the pick at 19?

Fully trust Mayock and Gruden given the stellar draft they had this last year. But this is a crucial year to finish off some pieces to set us firmly on the playoff hunt path and move us from a team that's turning around, to team that has turned the corner and has its sights credibly set on being competitive for a divisional championship. 

They should make the new stadium have a turf field with  brown turf in a diamond shape to make it look like a baseball infield #genius 

Would be very retro... Like having a case on your new iPhone 11 that makes it look like a cassette tape :)

OK, early draft takes.

So there is no way that Jeudy, Okudah, or Simmons (even though I don't think S is our need) is there for us.

Will Lamb fall to us? If he does, seems like a no-brainer pick, anyone disagree? Anyone think a guy like Ruggs or Higgins is actually a better pick?

For our pick at #19, do we simply go LB in a guy like Kenneth Murray? Is QB (Herbert/Eason/Fomme/Love) even worth it here compared to other positions of need? Is Murray worth the pick at 19?

Fully trust Mayock and Gruden given the stellar draft they had this last year. But this is a crucial year to finish off some pieces to set us firmly on the playoff hunt path and move us from a team that's turning around, to team that has turned the corner and has its sights credibly set on being competitive for a divisional championship. 
WR and BPA on D.   Maybe a mid round QB?   The Raiders need a real D.  Wish the Raiders and Bears would have last more games.      Watching bits of playoff games the last two days, confirms that the '19 Raiders were not worthy of the playoffs.  While the Seahawks and Eagles didn't look great, they both had just enough D to keep the game competitive.   

So I ask you again....do you REALLY think the NFL has told the 112+ officials to screw the Raiders....
You’re lumping me in with the conspiracy theory folks in the thread. I am NOT saying that. Re-read the articles I linked. 

I find it interesting to look at human nature/psychology/evolution and wonder if there are unconscious biases that work against teams wearing black  

After the NBA set up their video review headquarters in NYC, they did a study with all that data and realized that their refs were unconsciously biased against some subset of players (might have been black vs white players. I forget. Heard it on a Malcolm Gladwell podcast a year or two ago but can’t recall the details). Either way, by studying and recognizing some biases in their officials they were able to do more training to try to reduce those biases. No one said the refs were consciously conspiring against any specific team or player. It was happening without them knowing it. 

That’s the angle I’m driving at here and linked to a couple of articles that suggest that there may very well be a bias against teams wearing black uniforms. Interesting stuff, to me at least. 

(and for the record, I was totally with you in the T Hill thread when you were simply trying to say “innocent until proven guilty”)

WR and BPA on D.   Maybe a mid round QB?   The Raiders need a real D.  Wish the Raiders and Bears would have last more games.      Watching bits of playoff games the last two days, confirms that the '19 Raiders were not worthy of the playoffs.  While the Seahawks and Eagles didn't look great, they both had just enough D to keep the game competitive.   
Totally agree we would not have gotten out of the 1st round even if we had somehow sneaked into the playoffs.

I don't know about not having a real D, though -- Abram went out after the first game, then we lost Burfict. Key and Joseph went on IR in November. I think we have yet to see how the secondary plays together when all healthy, I think core guys like Ferrell will develop in their second year, and I think we saw fantastic potential in Harris and have a real gem in Crosby.

We were 19th in total yards and YPG allowed. We were 8th against the run. We were 25th against the pass -- thinking back to years past when we were cellar dwellers in both categories. We were 17th in hurries and 11th in hurry % per QB dropback, which are light years ahead of where we've been.

We need a disruptive pass rusher -- we are still near the bottom in pressures and sacks. We need a solid MLB to help us in both phases and help reduce missed tackles and preventing 3rd down covnersions.

We still have areas to improve to be a consistent defense, let alone playoff caliber. But I think we showed we were real enough this year.

You’re lumping me in with the conspiracy theory folks in the thread. I am NOT saying that. Re-read the articles I linked. 

I find it interesting to look at human nature/psychology/evolution and wonder if there are unconscious biases that work against teams wearing black  

After the NBA set up their video review headquarters in NYC, they did a study with all that data and realized that their refs were unconsciously biased against some subset of players (might have been black vs white players. I forget. Heard it on a Malcolm Gladwell podcast a year or two ago but can’t recall the details). Either way, by studying and recognizing some biases in their officials they were able to do more training to try to reduce those biases. No one said the refs were consciously conspiring against any specific team or player. It was happening without them knowing it. 

That’s the angle I’m driving at here and linked to a couple of articles that suggest that there may very well be a bias against teams wearing black uniforms. Interesting stuff, to me at least. 

(and for the record, I was totally with you in the T Hill thread when you were simply trying to say “innocent until proven guilty”)
Fair enough..thanks.....the problem is with stuff like this below from hot sauce....I’m not exactly sure who “the NFL” is below.....is it one person....is it all the other owners....is it the referee union....is it Rog....is it Al Riveron....?....and whoever it is, they have enough pull to make sure all 112 refs are on board...lol....its just laughable....

the NFL hates the Raiders & will continue to punish them with terrible officiating. The non-TD on review was mind-bogglingly bad. To the point that it was blatantly obvious that the Raiders were getting jobbed.

Totally agree we would not have gotten out of the 1st round even if we had somehow sneaked into the playoffs.

I don't know about not having a real D, though -- Abram went out after the first game, then we lost Burfict. Key and Joseph went on IR in November. I think we have yet to see how the secondary plays together when all healthy, I think core guys like Ferrell will develop in their second year, and I think we saw fantastic potential in Harris and have a real gem in Crosby.

We were 19th in total yards and YPG allowed. We were 8th against the run. We were 25th against the pass -- thinking back to years past when we were cellar dwellers in both categories. We were 17th in hurries and 11th in hurry % per QB dropback, which are light years ahead of where we've been.

We need a disruptive pass rusher -- we are still near the bottom in pressures and sacks. We need a solid MLB to help us in both phases and help reduce missed tackles and preventing 3rd down covnersions.

We still have areas to improve to be a consistent defense, let alone playoff caliber. But I think we showed we were real enough this year.
I agree that the defense is not nearly bad off as it may seem from this year. Injuries hit us hard on defense and we have an extremely young group of players on that side of the ball. We are young as a team but really young on D. Beyond Joyner, Burfict, and Mayowa pretty much everyone is 3 years and under. We will get healthy and develop/grow. That being said after a #1 WR everything we "need" is on the defense. We need playmakers and depth at both corner and the LB corps. 

Defense will be a focus for Mayock both in free agency and the draft. I would be somewhat surprised if other than a wideout we don't go BPA on defense with the rest of the 1st and 3rd rounders we have. I think later rounds will be whomever they feel is the best player. Another Maxx/Renfrow type of impact player or two in the mid and later rounds will go a long way to making us a respectable playoff team. 

And no QB. I will put money down we do not use our 1st rounders on a QB. 

OK, early draft takes.

I don't think Simmons will be there, but that guy is so good he could play LB or some sort of hybrid role.

I think Lamb is on par with Jeudy and would be all in favor of drafting him if he is there at 12.

LOVE Kenneth Murray and I think he is worth the 19th pick.

You basically hit all the guys I am hoping are in play for the Raiders, except for the QBs.  I don't like Herbert, Eason, Fromme and I haven't seen enough of Love to have a good opinion on him.

And fair warning... 

I will punch anyone in the gonads that says we should go after signing Brady this offseason. 

Alright, there's two things Chad and I agree about already this year...that's two more than all of last year.

I absolutely agree--no first round pick on a QB. Too many other bigger needs. Tom points out the defensive stats weren't that bad league-wise. I dunno...it didn't seem like that translated on the field near that much. The picks should mainly be for defense. Then after that, defense. And after that, more defense.

And, yeah, I don't see Brady at all. And I don't think there'd be interest on either side. Unless Brady has a big gambling problem we don't know about and Atlantic City has only been a short flight away his entire career. And I'm on record saying Gruden wants a mobile QB. My grandma is still faster than Tom Terrific (God rest her soul.)

Alright, there's two things Chad and I agree about already this year...that's two more than all of last year.

I absolutely agree--no first round pick on a QB. Too many other bigger needs. Tom points out the defensive stats weren't that bad league-wise. I dunno...it didn't seem like that translated on the field near that much. The picks should mainly be for defense. Then after that, defense. And after that, more defense.

And, yeah, I don't see Brady at all. And I don't think there'd be interest on either side. Unless Brady has a big gambling problem we don't know about and Atlantic City has only been a short flight away his entire career. And I'm on record saying Gruden wants a mobile QB. My grandma is still faster than Tom Terrific (God rest her soul.)
See, I knew there was hope for you! I will keep working on you to get further progress.

DocHolliday said:
It's too early to put most names out there, lots will change after the combine and pre-draft process plays out.  Heck a ton changes just from getting full film analysis on guys.  A year ago Jachai Polite was a stud and now he's what, out of the league?  Tons of WR in this draft, I wouldn't mind waiting on one. Heck we could have our pick of an elite one at 19.  I say just go BPA all over the place.  Simmons is a stud and Mayock loves "football players" like him.  Is he a LB?  S?  He's just a playmaker.  No-brainer if he's there which isn't guaranteed.  Again, I say BPA.  If we're sold on Tua, take him.  If it's a CB of which there are a few, great.  Delpit could be a smaller version of Simmons, guy is all over the field.

It's too early to put most names out there, lots will change after the combine and pre-draft process plays out.  Heck a ton changes just from getting full film analysis on guys.  A year ago Jachai Polite was a stud and now he's what, out of the league?  Tons of WR in this draft, I wouldn't mind waiting on one. Heck we could have our pick of an elite one at 19.  I say just go BPA all over the place.  Simmons is a stud and Mayock loves "football players" like him.  Is he a LB?  S?  He's just a playmaker.  No-brainer if he's there which isn't guaranteed.  Again, I say BPA.  If we're sold on Tua, take him.  If it's a CB of which there are a few, great.  Delpit could be a smaller version of Simmons, guy is all over the field.
Yeah, I think Mayock and Gruden have earned enough of my trust after the last draft that I’m happy with whoever they think is BPA on either O or D. I’m ready for the draft to happen tomorrow. 

The NFL cannot claim to give a damn about player safety when they let this &*@#!  back on the field.
They can claim anything that they want.  Clowney dove into Wentz's head a couple of days ago and there wasn't even a flag thrown.   Money will always come first.  Business is business.  

The Draft is in Las Vegas this year. So it will obviously be Raider focused. Unfortunately the NFL doesn't have tickets for sale, or much information about the draft up yet. This is the link to register to get updates regarding tickets and info regarding the draft. https://nflonlocation.com/nfldraft/ 

Obviously, since I live in Vegas, I'll be there if I can get tickets. If others are coming we should make an effort to get together at some point. 

Stupid thing:

I’m hoping that "Vegas Raiders" becomes the common name for the team (as opposed to Las Vegas Raiders), only because it has the same number of syllables as their previous names so it "feels" right and rolls off the tongue. 
ie.
Oak Land Rai Ders

L A Rai Ders

Ve Gas Rai Ders

i know, great contribution to this thread ;)   

They can claim anything that they want.  Clowney dove into Wentz's head a couple of days ago and there wasn't even a flag thrown.   Money will always come first.  Business is business.  
No one goes to or tunes into a game to watch Burfict's cheap shots.   I don't see how lifting his suspension is good for business.

Stupid thing:

I’m hoping that "Vegas Raiders" becomes the common name for the team (as opposed to Las Vegas Raiders), only because it has the same number of syllables as their previous names so it "feels" right and rolls off the tongue. 
ie.
Oak Land Rai Ders

L A Rai Ders

Ve Gas Rai Ders

i know, great contribution to this thread ;)   
Actually makes sense. The hockey team is called Vegas.

See, I knew there was hope for you! I will keep working on you to get further progress.
👍

And obviously in my blathering about needing to beef up the D in the draft, the WR corp should be a major emphasis as well. I'm really at a loss about who to take... the top 3 all look like potential studs to me. I'm mainly at a loss because I thot Cooper was the answer to all the questions. 😶 Now I only have questions...

Godsbrother said:
No one goes to or tunes into a game to watch Burfict's cheap shots.   I don't see how lifting his suspension is good for business.
I don't give a rat's patootie about what's good for the grubby-handed billionaire-interest-driven business of the NFL.

Lifting his suspension is good for the Raiders, period.

Hoping he (and Incognito) can play at the same high level they did last year for a few more to come.

Imma just gonna leave this here.

https://silverandblacktoday.com/2020/01/08/report-data-shows-nfl-officiating-bias-against-raiders-is-real/

👍

And obviously in my blathering about needing to beef up the D in the draft, the WR corp should be a major emphasis as well. I'm really at a loss about who to take... the top 3 all look like potential studs to me. I'm mainly at a loss because I thot Cooper was the answer to all the questions. 😶 Now I only have questions...
Cooper was maddening to me and even more so with the 'Boys but it looks like he started showing his true colors again. I think Cooper isn't internally driven to be a great player. When we was with us he had every tool and every reason to be dominant as a WR. The offense schemes were centered around getting him going. It always seemed forced to me. It seemed we had to feed him rather than him making. His drops were sickening. They seem to go up and down and I think that suggests mental lapse than anything else. I have a feeling that is why Gruden and Mayock traded him away (along with us being able to get a 1st which we turned into Abram). The change of scenery last year saw his drops go down and he performed much better. This year he played well (he played well with us too) but disappeared in games (as he did with us) and seems to be destined to be a tease of a #1 than a true #1 that will lead a receiving corps. 

I don't give a rat's patootie about what's good for the grubby-handed billionaire-interest-driven business of the NFL.

Hoping he (and Incognito) can play at the same high level they did last year for a few more to come.
Burfict back is a good thing for our D and our (currently) thin LB corps. He is a leader and knows the defense better than anyone other than Guenther. I want him back and am glad to have him back. I am hoping he keeps his nose clean as I don't want anyone to get hurt (well... unless it is Brady or if Burfict ran into Belicheat I wouldn't cry either) as well as I don't want to lose him on suspension again. 

It isn't about the billionaires it's about being a fan of pro football and watching a cheap shot artist trying to take out other players.    I love hard hitting football but this jerk goes for the head and knees after the play is over.  He has had numerous fines and suspensions and seemingly is unable to understand you can't play that way. 

You're welcome to him though:  the guy has never won anything and is so out of control he's taken his own teammates out of games.

reposting the same lame thing where a guy doesn't even put his name on his "findings"....(couldn't find it anywhere on his "blog")...a blog that will support most any claim if you  try hard enough...."pigs actually do fly"......some Raider fan JUCO dropout  living in his parents basement claiming to be a " former Naval intelligence officer and current corporate strategy executive"....  :lmao: .....

A

reposting the same lame thing where a guy doesn't even put his name on his "findings"....(couldn't find it anywhere on his "blog")...a blog that will support most any claim if you  try hard enough...."pigs actually do fly"......some Raider fan JUCO dropout  living in his parents basement claiming to be a " former Naval intelligence officer and current corporate strategy executive"....  :lmao: .....
Actually...you're completely off base. Reasons for his anonymity don't take away from his point and published work on the area. We vetted him and he's not a JUCO dropout...in fact, went to one of the nation's top research institutions. Hosting a radio show on CBS Sports Radio...we don't use questionable sources that aren't vetted. I have no problem if you have a counter argument to his, but this baseless out of left field dismissal is without merit, frankly.

-Scott/Silver And Black Today.

https://youtu.be/1ZAJQwoDzDQ

Great video of Bob Brown.

Guy's best days were behind him by the time he got to the team but man was he a perfect Raider.

The Mean Joe Greene quote was phenomenal.

Makes you realize that though players today are so much bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic they might still have a lot of trouble playing against these kinds of players who brought this style of play.

Except for maybe Garrett.

Cooper was maddening to me and even more so with the 'Boys but it looks like he started showing his true colors again. I think Cooper isn't internally driven to be a great player. When we was with us he had every tool and every reason to be dominant as a WR. The offense schemes were centered around getting him going. It always seemed forced to me. It seemed we had to feed him rather than him making. His drops were sickening. They seem to go up and down and I think that suggests mental lapse than anything else. I have a feeling that is why Gruden and Mayock traded him away (along with us being able to get a 1st which we turned into Abram). The change of scenery last year saw his drops go down and he performed much better. This year he played well (he played well with us too) but disappeared in games (as he did with us) and seems to be destined to be a tease of a #1 than a true #1 that will lead a receiving corps. 
I hope the Raiders can find an AJ Brown or DK Metcalf type of WR.   We have the little, quick guy in Renfroe and the speed guy in Williams (at least in theory since I’m not sold on his value).   I have been asking for a true slot WR for years and we found our guy.   With the loss of Cooper, we now need a true WR.    The Raiders need a big, strong, fast WR that can catch the not-perfect throws and be a target in the EZ.   

I hope the Raiders can find an AJ Brown or DK Metcalf type of WR.   We have the little, quick guy in Renfroe and the speed guy in Williams (at least in theory since I’m not sold on his value).   I have been asking for a true slot WR for years and we found our guy.   With the loss of Cooper, we now need a true WR.    The Raiders need a big, strong, fast WR that can catch the not-perfect throws and be a target in the EZ.   
Williame got hobbled with injury and being forced into a role he is bot best suited for. He will flourish when healthy and has a #1 to draw attention away from him. 

But yes, we need that guy to be THE man. We have the other pieces. 

The Draft is in Las Vegas this year. So it will obviously be Raider focused. Unfortunately the NFL doesn't have tickets for sale, or much information about the draft up yet. This is the link to register to get updates regarding tickets and info regarding the draft. https://nflonlocation.com/nfldraft/ 

Obviously, since I live in Vegas, I'll be there if I can get tickets. If others are coming we should make an effort to get together at some point. 
I'm coming with some buddies.  They aren't Raiders fans but we all went to the draft last year and got some golf in and hit some kickass food.  I'm expecting we'll come in on Monday and I will work the early week from the condo and then bust out on Thursday and the weekend.

And under favorite team, that link reads Oakland Raiders ^_^

Was looking for the "2020 Oakland Raiders" thread and skimmed past. This is gonna take some getting used to.

But google image search the new stadium and its easy to quickly get psyched for the new digs in Vegas. 
I drove by it yesterday. It’s really coming along. Looks great!

I'm coming with some buddies.  They aren't Raiders fans but we all went to the draft last year and got some golf in and hit some kickass food.  I'm expecting we'll come in on Monday and I will work the early week from the condo and then bust out on Thursday and the weekend.

And under favorite team, that link reads Oakland Raiders ^_^
From what, I’ve read, it’s free for all the events so no tickets. Should be a fun weekend!

From what, I’ve read, it’s free for all the events so no tickets. Should be a fun weekend!
Yes, as was Nashville.  The only issue is the crowd/time.  If you weren't on Broadway by 5:00 on Thursday you weren't getting anywhere near the stage, but that's a big ol' bottleneck area, not sure what is will look like in Vegas.  Not that it mattered, they had/will have a bajillion big screens and it doesn't really matter where you are if you aren't in the VIP area anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread