What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (4 Viewers)

Full rookie class is signed. Looks like we are ready to rock... 

I think not having pre season can hurt and help us. 

On the hurt side, we got a lot of new players expected to contribute as rookies and FA's and they will have no game time to work things out. 

In the other end, there are a lot of new players and it will be hard for teams to prep for our team. On offense the WR corps is all rebuilt. On D the LB and DB positions are basically all new. 

With Adams going to Seattle... that has to kill the chances of Seattle bringing Clowney back. So, it should be between us and Tenn. 

Do you guys still have Justin Phillips? He shined in the Cowboys preseason games and I was pissed we let him go. 

Did he make any impression on you guys? Seems to have the ball hawk trait. 

Bowden is the wildcard of all rookies.  I believe they should be lining him up as a WR not RB.  I believe he has Tyreek Hill upside, but if they just use him as a gadget player he won't be what I believe he can be.

Do you guys still have Justin Phillips? He shined in the Cowboys preseason games and I was pissed we let him go. 

Did he make any impression on you guys? Seems to have the ball hawk trait. 
I believe we resigned him a few months ago, so he's still on the roster.

I remember him being called up from the PS when the Burfict nonsense went down for depth, but don't really recall him making plays in rotation. I do remember him on the field for ST.

Bowden is the wildcard of all rookies.  I believe they should be lining him up as a WR not RB.  I believe he has Tyreek Hill upside, but if they just use him as a gadget player he won't be what I believe he can be.
I don't know if he has Hill upside, but I think his main role is going to be motioned out of the backfield and lining up on the line. He won't be a RB or a WR, and simply be a "Weapon X."

I don't know if he has Hill upside, but I think his main role is going to be motioned out of the backfield and lining up on the line. He won't be a RB or a WR, and simply be a "Weapon X."
Reminds me of another Kentucky guy... Randle Cobb (The Touchdown Robber Cobber).

The thing I like most about the 3 WRs taken in this draft (yes 3; I'm counting Bowden as such until I see him actually playing RB) is that they all bring very different elements - each at a very high level in terms of what he can specifically do. They compliment one another. Hard to imagine 3 rookie WRs being able to do that. Makes is much more palatable having taken 3 WRs in the first 3 rounds. Also like that Bowden can play KR/PR and Ruggs KR.

Reminds me of another Kentucky guy... Randle Cobb (The Touchdown Robber Cobber).

The thing I like most about the 3 WRs taken in this draft (yes 3; I'm counting Bowden as such until I see him actually playing RB) is that they all bring very different elements - each at a very high level in terms of what he can specifically do. They compliment one another. Hard to imagine 3 rookie WRs being able to do that. Makes is much more palatable having taken 3 WRs in the first 3 rounds. Also like that Bowden can play KR/PR and Ruggs KR.
I agree with a lot of similarities to Cobb, especially Bowden's last season, but I think he could be a better receiver than Cobb and more dynamic. 

Remember how they used Garner? Like 90 catches? I am thinking this will be an updated version of that to supplement Jacobs. Hence the RB designation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chadstroma said:
Remember how they used Garner? Like 90 catches? I am thinking this will be an updated version of that to supplement Jacobs. Hence the RB designation. 
I would hope they use Jacobs himself more in the passing game -- guy has great hands. 

But yes, supplementing with Bowden and getting him the ball in space would be great.

Jeremy Hill announced he signed with the Raiders.
I like it. Super low risk signing and see if he has anything. He had some flashes in Cinncy, maybe he's been working his *** off for the last year and is in great shape. If not, then cut him. I guess will be him and Rod Smith competing for that "big back" role?

I like it. Super low risk signing and see if he has anything. He had some flashes in Cinncy, maybe he's been working his *** off for the last year and is in great shape. If not, then cut him. I guess will be him and Rod Smith competing for that "big back" role?
Agree but tend to think Hill is past prime and likely just depth for losing Booker to the COVID.

Also, we released PJ Hall.

2nd round bust. Guy had solid potential but no hustle. Came into camp last year overweight and I bet, despite the lashing he took from Gruden in the press last year and again just a few days ago, he showed up overweight again.

This is a new look Raiders -- you need to show commitment and high character. No more reading the game plan by the light of the jukebox. No more lax attitudes, coming in out of shape and soft, or not giving anything but 100%. 

Unless you are playing at a Pro Bowl level like Trent Brown, and putting in the effort like Trent Brown, they aren't going to let you just sit around and eat Fruit by the Foot and other junk food from the snack tables. 

Collins in and Mayock said Hall hadn't had the level of consistency they demand. AKA not putting in the effort. 

Talented kid. Maybe getting cut is the push that gets him to put work in. 

Bummer waste of a 2nd.

Announced that there will be no fans in attendance for home games this year. 

Watching baseball, it does take some air out of the viewing on TV. The fans in the game add energy. But as long as we have a season, I am good.

WAIVED THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS:

Brown, Jordan DB

Butler, Paul TE

Eberle, Dominik K

Magnuson, Erik C

McCullough, Liam LS

Ratliff-Williams, Anthony WR

WAIVED/FAILED PHYSICAL THE FOLLOWING PLAYER:

Lee, Marquel LB

PLACED THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS ON THE RESERVE/OPT-OUT LIST:

Killings, D.J. CB

Valoaga, Jeremiah DE

Failed his physical with the Vikes. https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1290750366397718530

Never understood this pick when it happened. A stroll down memory shows that D.J. Chark went 4 picks later and Fred Warner went 13 picks later.  😱
That may be 20-20 hindsight.

I was scratching my head at the pick but only because I didn't know a lot about the guy. It's not like another DT leapt off the board at me. Remember there being a lot of ends going in the draft, but not a lot of depth at tackle (Hall was the second DT off the board in that draft) and Hall at least had the ability out of college to line up all over the field as a 2-way down lineman, had some athleticism (had a pretty fast 40 time IIRC), and was seen as a raw athletic talent whose one true knock was that he may be undersized for the next level.

In the end, it was laziness that seemed to do him in.

Story:

When the Raiders selected Henry Ruggs III with the No. 12 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the expectation was that Ruggs would start his career on the outside, likely at the X position. With Hunter Renfrow already established as the team’s slot receiver and Tyrell Williams as the team’s “Z” receiver.

However, that doesn’t appear to be the case, according to offensive coordinator Greg Olson. In his recent media session, Olson revealed where Ruggs will begin his career:

“We’ll start with Ruggs III in the slot and do some things with Ruggs III. But those guys (Ruggs and Bryan Edwards) are very multiple in what they can do and that’s the goal is to be able to move all of them around to different spots; the one, two or three position at the wide receiver.”

Ruggs isn’t completely new to the slot position as he played 218 snaps there over the last two seasons, according to Pro Football Focus. Typically, rookies have an easier time producing in the slot rather than on the outside as they often face less press coverage.

Putting Ruggs in the slot will also allow him to get the ball in his hands quicker, giving him room to use his speed in the middle of the field. Despite his 4.2 speed, Ruggs is actually at his best when he makes plays on the move, rather than down the field.

What is fascinating about the Raiders playing Ruggs in the slot is what will happen to the other receivers on the roster. Williams will likely remain entrenched at the “Z”, while fellow rookie Bryan Edwards could potentially start at the “X”.

But where does that leave Hunter Renfrow? Unfortunately, that would mean that he would spend the majority of the time on the bench as he doesn’t have the size or speed to play on the outside. However, Olson mentioned moving Ruggs around, so it is certainly possible the team could move the former Alabama star to the outside to free up Renfrow to play in the slot.

What is clear is that the Raiders are planning on using Bryan Edwards a lot this season and are trying to find ways to get he and Ruggs on the field at the same time. Both players will move around quite a bit, but expect Ruggs to see more slot work than we might have anticipated.

That may be 20-20 hindsight.

I was scratching my head at the pick but only because I didn't know a lot about the guy. It's not like another DT leapt off the board at me. Remember there being a lot of ends going in the draft, but not a lot of depth at tackle (Hall was the second DT off the board in that draft) and Hall at least had the ability out of college to line up all over the field as a 2-way down lineman, had some athleticism (had a pretty fast 40 time IIRC), and was seen as a raw athletic talent whose one true knock was that he may be undersized for the next level.

In the end, it was laziness that seemed to do him in.
The bolded area the the questions/concerns that I had when the pick was announced. Sam Houston is an FBS program so that should have been the first red flag. I know there are lots of examples of FBS players making it big time, like Carson Wentz, but the pick was generally considered a reach at the time. When you add that fact to his size concerns I never understood the pick. 

Agree that ultimately it was laziness that doomed the pick. Hard to believe a billon dollar industry hasn't figure out ways to detect this character flaw. 

I think they plan on lots of looks, movement, player packages etc. this year. Ruggs can play inside and out and they will utilize him as such... Bowden can play RB, WR and QB and they will use him as such... Waller can line up inline or split out and they will use him as such. 

They will spread out with 4 WR'd at times and they will go heavy with 2 or 3 set TE's at times.

Edwards seems to be getting the same buzz that Waller did last year. Williams, Renfrow and himself aren't as flexible as Ruggs but I don't think that means Williams and Renfrow are in for diminished rolls. 

Overall, I think this offensive identity will be flexibility. They will have very different looks game to game and even play to play. 

If I'm talking to a Raider fan, about Ruggs in the slot, and he says, ""But what about Renfrow?", I would look for a way to end the discussing quickly. 

Overall, I think this offensive identity will be flexibility. They will have very different looks game to game and even play to play. 
Agree, but want to avoid crossing the line into gadgetry. 

I don't think that's the Gruden way. In my mind his approach overalying a solid base of consistent ball control/move the chains smashmouth offensive gameplan with constant moving, shifting, and disguising based on exploiting holes in the D. 

Gruden is a chess tactician with a deep playbook that I think we've only seen a fraction of. Excited to see more, but I'd rather be known for being successful running the ball down throats with Jacobs and a huge line that you just can't stop even though you know it's a run play, than constant gadgetry, which isn't a lasting plan of success.

That's just me.

The Las Vegas Raiders are signing veteran defensive lineman and former first-round pick Datone Jones, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per an informed source. This will be Jones' seventh stop since being drafted 26th overall in 2013; he played in all four preseason games for the Jags last year before being released as a part of final roster cuts.

Agree, but want to avoid crossing the line into gadgetry. 

I don't think that's the Gruden way. In my mind his approach overalying a solid base of consistent ball control/move the chains smashmouth offensive gameplan with constant moving, shifting, and disguising based on exploiting holes in the D. 

Gruden is a chess tactician with a deep playbook that I think we've only seen a fraction of. Excited to see more, but I'd rather be known for being successful running the ball down throats with Jacobs and a huge line that you just can't stop even though you know it's a run play, than constant gadgetry, which isn't a lasting plan of success.

That's just me.
Gruden loves taking things from others and incorporating it into his scheme. His offense isn't the WCO base it was the first time around. He sat in his TB home office watching tap and drawing up new plays for all those years not coaching. It has evolved and they have signaled they are going to be adaptive with the offense. If you look at ths personal we have on roster at skill positions it makes sense that is what they are doing but yes, I don't think Gruden will ever get away from running. 

If you fast forward to 6 minutes in...

https://youtu.be/yq5dgQ_AjHM

...Derek does not look at all comfortable talking about Mariota being there.
He was talking about all the other starting QBs that have been in the QB room that he has had to hold off.  Who is he talking about?

Schaub?

EJ Manuel?

McCarron?

Glennon?

Not exactly true challengers to his starting job.  He will not have a very long leash this year with Mariota behind him.  I'm not a big Mariota fan, but Gruden is and they paid him top of the market backup money.

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Tyrell Williams has a torn labrum in his shoulder, Rapoport reported, per sources. He's going to try to play through it after rehabbing for a few weeks, Rapoport added.

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Tyrell Williams has a torn labrum in his shoulder, Rapoport reported, per sources. He's going to try to play through it after rehabbing for a few weeks, Rapoport added.
Anyone know if you can actually play through a torn labrum. I know nothing about the doctor stuff, so itcould be a torn labia for all I know. ;)  

Ty Willy's salary is fully GTD this year, a/o 3/20. Seems that will ensure he makes the team, but hopefully they PUP him so that they can keep one of the youngins for the first six weeks.

Williams is pretty good, but this just gives the young guys more opportunity.  I really like the way Edwards, Ruggs and Renfrow's skill set compliment each other.

joey said:
Anyone know if you can actually play through a torn labrum. I know nothing about the doctor stuff, so itcould be a torn labia for all I know. ;)  
Vic Tafur

@VicTafur

·

Don't bury him yet.

@TyrellWilliams_

played his final college season at Western Oregon with a torn labrum in the same right shoulder, and finished with 56-950-8. Had surgery. Then played last 5 games for Chargers with same injury in 2016. 18-269-2. #Raiders

ICON211 said:
Williams is pretty good, but this just gives the young guys more opportunity.  I really like the way Edwards, Ruggs and Renfrow's skill set compliment each other.
Thank goodness the Raiders loaded up at WR in the draft and offseason.   Last years thin WR Corp was no fun

The Las Vegas Raiders announced they have signed free-agent defensive end Sharif Finch and, in a corresponding move, waived DE Ade Aruna.

So we don't need to tell the Edwards hype train thread but the stuff coming out about Edwards really reminds me of Denarius Moore"s rookie camp. I know he didn't pan out longterm and is a different profile player but he flashed in camp and it translated to games his rookie year. For some reason something seems similar. Think he's going to be solid his 1st year out.

Carr really has it all this year. Stud TE, deep threat, underneath guys and backfield. Should be good!

Users who are viewing this thread