What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boone, NC (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
I did a search and couldn’t find anything.  Wife is pushing to go to Boone for a couple days just to get out of the house.  Go snow tubing and snow boarding with the kids.  Anybody have recommendations for restaurants/breweries?  Any of the snow tubing sites better than others?  Any other must do things in the area?

@BassNBrew  @Worm  @simey @pantherclub  - my notebook may be rusty but hoping you guys may have some ideas.  TIA

Wild Craft Eatery is a great place to eat at in downtown Boone. That is one of my go to places for dinner when I visit. Coyote Kitchen is located near Walmart in Boone and has good food. It is small inside.  Melanie's in downtown Boone has good breakfast and lunch food.  It is pretty small inside as well. I've always liked the Bistro Roca restaurant in Blowing Rock for a nice dinner. It is also known as Antlers. It is a bit more upscale.  There are lots of cool places in both Boone and Blowing Rock to go to.  Appalachian Mtn Brewery has good craft beer in Boone, as does Booneshine. Blowing Rock Brewing is a good brewery in Blowing Rock. 

Sugar Mtn is probably the most popular skiing spot. There is also Appalachian Ski Mtn, Beech Mtn, and Hawksnest. It has been unseasonably warm lately, but they have snow machines that blow when that happens. I think it is turning cold again in a couple days. 

Say hey to Doc Watson when you're in Boone. You'll know what I mean if you're downtown. 

Last edited by a moderator:
May be best to stay in Beech if you are mostly going to do mountain activities vs having to drive ~30 mins from Boone to Sugar or Beech each time.

Appalachian Mtn Brewery has good craft beer in Boone, as does Booneshine.
Some people wouldn't consider AMB craft as it has been bought out by one of the big boys, but they usually have some good stuff at their tap room compared to what you can buy more widely.

I always enjoy Flat Top in Banner Elk to hang out at, looks like they are under new management.

Some people wouldn't consider AMB craft as it has been bought out by one of the big boys, but they usually have some good stuff at their tap room compared to what you can buy more widely.

I always enjoy Flat Top in Banner Elk to hang out at, looks like they are under new management.
I was thinking about that AAA has kids, and the Mellow Mushroom in Boone is good. I've never been to the one in Blowing Rock. The pizza is good (I dig the kosmic karma pizza), and they serve different varieties of NC beer and wine, plus other spirits. I've had some NC red wine there before that was made in the NC mountains somewhere (not from the Biltmore winery in Asheville), and it was good.

I was thinking about that AAA has kids, and the Mellow Mushroom in Boone is good. I've never been to the one in Blowing Rock. The pizza is good (I dig the kosmic karma pizza), and they serve different varieties of NC beer and wine, plus other spirits. I've had some NC red wine there before that was made in the NC mountains somewhere (not from the Biltmore winery in Asheville), and it was good.
I’ll send the wife and kids to the slopes while I drink :)  

Raffaldini is one I like east of Boone off 421. Proposed to my wife there.

I did a search and couldn’t find anything.  Wife is pushing to go to Boone for a couple days just to get out of the house.  Go snow tubing and snow boarding with the kids.  Anybody have recommendations for restaurants/breweries?  Any of the snow tubing sites better than others?  Any other must do things in the area?

@BassNBrew  @Worm  @simey @pantherclub  - my notebook may be rusty but hoping you guys may have some ideas.  TIA
Go to West Jefferson.  Visit Boone.

Been to a Mellow Mushroom before (They have a couple here in NoVA) Great Pizza!

Did an overnight hike of Grandfather Mountain in '92. Nice area. That's all I got.

Good luck with the skiing. The weather has not been kind in that regard.

We are headed to Blowing Rock in a couple of days too.  Was hoping to get in some skiing, but now rain is in the forecast :sadbanana:

Black Cat for burritos in Boone.  I would not eat anywhere on Beech Mountain as the food isn't good and is overpriced.  The food in Banner Elk is much better.

As an FYI...I have a 6 bdrm vacation home on Beech about a mile from the slopes.  Also have a club membership if golf is your thing during that season.  Great hiking and mob if that's your thing.  If anyone is ever looking for discounted lodging feel free to hit me up.  Probably can get you in for the same price a a hotel room.

I live in Boone, and I would not drive from my house to the ski slopes right now.  We have been unusually warm.  It is the kind of weather that give packed powder a bad name.   You should trade your skiis for a mountain bike.

You should still come on up the hill, there is lots to do.  I second Simey's food list above.  That guy has good taste.

Enjoy.

I live in Boone, and I would not drive from my house to the ski slopes right now.  We have been unusually warm.  It is the kind of weather that give packed powder a bad name.   You should trade your skiis for a mountain bike.

You should still come on up the hill, there is lots to do.  I second Simey's food list above.  That guy has good taste.

Enjoy.
What about snow tubing - will that be ok?  We are not winter sports people being from Atlanta- we will be content if we could do tubing.  

AAABatteries said:

if you like visiting bottle shops AAA, Peabody's is a decent 1.

Take the kids to the candy shop in Valle Cruis.  Mast General store worth a visit too.  The section of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Linville/Grandfather to Blowing Rock has amazing views 

What about snow tubing - will that be ok?  We are not winter sports people being from Atlanta- we will be content if we could do tubing.  
They make their own snow but it's been so warm, not sure how good it will be. It's a blast though. The drives and hikes are gorgeous. Agree than Banner Elk is better though pricier than Boone. Two years ago it was too warm so we went bowling for half the day and had a blast. 

My friend was just there at Christmas with her kids, and the weather was in the low 60s/high 50s. They tubed on the man made snow and had fun. The temperature tomorrow is high 37 and low 28, and Wed high 40 and low 27, so a chill is coming back.  Rain is moving in after that. Usually it is cold and windy there during December with real snow. I'm almost 2 hours away, and it is almost 70 today. Wacky weather.

Bella's Pizza in Banner Elk is outstanding. Its right across from Sugar Mountain. I'm pretty sure they put crack in their pizza sauce, its THAT addicting. 

And Famous Brick Oven Pizzeria at the top of Beech is awesome too. Great food but also Polar Golf, Arcade, Bar, and during the summer/fall, they do live bands outside and its just an awesome place. 

Bella's Pizza in Banner Elk is outstanding. Its right across from Sugar Mountain. I'm pretty sure they put crack in their pizza sauce, its THAT addicting. 

And Famous Brick Oven Pizzeria at the top of Beech is awesome too. Great food but also Polar Golf, Arcade, Bar, and during the summer/fall, they do live bands outside and its just an awesome place. 
Gonna disagree on the later. Overpriced and fair service. Bullwinkles pies are better.  Pretty much all the food on top of the mountain is average at best plus you are paying a premium for someone to haul it up the mountain. If you want good eats then focus on Boone blowing rock and banner elk. 

Spent the last 5 hours skiing at Appalachian Ski Mountain- had a blast but I’m exhausted.  I know folks said now wouldn’t be a good time to go due to weather but since we had never been before we didn’t know what we were missing and just had a great time.  I managed to go down the smallest slope after the beginner area twice without killing myself.

Currently sitting in the only place I saw open - Waffle House!   Happy New Year!  Thanks to all of you who gave recommendations.

Spent the last 5 hours skiing at Appalachian Ski Mountain- had a blast but I’m exhausted.  I know folks said now wouldn’t be a good time to go due to weather but since we had never been before we didn’t know what we were missing and just had a great time.  I managed to go down the smallest slope after the beginner area twice without killing myself.

Currently sitting in the only place I saw open - Waffle House!   Happy New Year!  Thanks to all of you who gave recommendations.
We found an Air BNB close to App ski Mt.  I'll have a 9, 7 and 4 yo that have never skied.   I think they want to snowboard. 

Anyone know what is better for beginner?  Obviously we'll throw them in ski school for a day or two.  Didn't know if one was better than another for beginners?  

thanks

We found an Air BNB close to App ski Mt.  I'll have a 9, 7 and 4 yo that have never skied.   I think they want to snowboard. 

Anyone know what is better for beginner?  Obviously we'll throw them in ski school for a day or two.  Didn't know if one was better than another for beginners?  

thanks
My 10 and 12 yr old snowboarded at App mountain yesterday for the first time and really liked it.  The ski classes are 1 hour a time. $20 per hour (group rates).  They suggest 3 classes with a couple hours of boarding in-between to practice. My kids only did one class - frankly they were tired after 4 hours.  Snowboarding involves lots of falling down, which means you use lots of muscles getting back up, plus using muscles you aren't used to using anyways.

I wouldn't go on the mountain for the next few days.  Rain is going to ruin the snow they have now.

Suggestions for things to do in the area while it's cold and rainy?  

Also, suggestions for non-chain restaurants in the area pls.  My wife is a foodie and we'd like to find some nice, unique spots.

Also, suggestions for non-chain restaurants in the area pls.  My wife is a foodie and we'd like to find some nice, unique spots.
I named four restaurants in my first post in this thread, and none of them are chains. You usually need a reservation for the Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock.

simey said:
I named four restaurants in my first post in this thread, and none of them are chains. You usually need a reservation for the Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock.
Actually went to bistro roca for lunch today...really good.  Went to Mellow Mushroom in blowing rock last night - pretty standard for MM. 

I will say I had the booneshine tropical pale ale and liked it a lot - very good beer.

jb1020 said:

thanks
This was my first time skiing and I've never snowboarded so take my opinion with a big grain of salt.  I won't even compare then accept for one thing - it seemed like the beginner snowboarders had a much harder time staying upright than the skiers.  Not sure that really means it's harder but probably just different.

As for the ski school/class - it was a mixed bag, IMO.  The class itself and the information you get is invaluable for a beginner - which all of us were.  None of us had ever been in skis.  They teach you all the basics (putting the skis on/taking them off, how to walk in them, how to walk and retrieve your poles, how to slow down, etc.).  Again, invaluable but the thing is you could really have somebody take the class and then teach the rest of your family - especially if you are being cost conscious.  $20 for you and then you teach all those basics and let them spend a few hours practicing on the beginner area.  I'd save it for an intermediate class (although to be fair we didn't take one).  The class is an hour but really only the first 15 minutes are instruction and then you try things out while the instructor helps/watches.  They did a good job and the class was small enough (10) where you could ask questions.  Since you are a FBG, the $100 is probably your pocket change - if so, go ahead and do it for all.

Back home so a quick recap of our trip:

• First, big thank you to all of you who gave recommendations and advice - this community never ceases to amaze me.  You guy helped us have an awesome short trip
  • Drove up Monday and drove back yesterday - the drive is basically 5 hours from my house so not too bad but would have preferred to stay one more day.  We just had to get back for my kids activities.
  • We just stayed in a Comfort Inn in Boone - nothing special but served it's purpose.  Can't say I'd recommend it but we did all of this last minute so was one of our few options.
  • Places we ate:

Wild Craft - I enjoyed this a lot but the family was kind of meh on it.  To be fair, my family is not super adventurous so don't take their opinion on it, listen to me  :)
  • Local Lion - small coffee/espresso place that had donuts - everyone like the coffee but the donuts were kind of bland - just get Krispy Kreme which is close by if you want donuts
  • Boone Bagelry - this is in downtown right next to Wild Craft - thought it was average at best and overpriced.  I wouldn't go back - our local bagel place where I live it much better and cheaper
  • Sunrise Grill - this place was a pretty good breakfast place and close by to where we stayed - worth going to, especially if it's not busy (we had to wait 45 minutes)
  • Pedalin' Pig - BBQ place - really enjoyed this.  Thought the ribs and pork was really good - the brisket was a little dry and overcooked but had good flavor.  Would recommend.

[*]We looked around App. St. some but would have liked to spent some more time touring the campus - cool location right there in Boone

[*]Skiing/tubing

• first day we tried to go to Sugar Mtn. for tubing - thankfully we struck out because the place only had 2 lanes open for 100 people and it didn't look good.  I understand we went during a bad time with the weather but it just didn't seem they had a great setup
  • Hawksnest - they claimed to have 30 lanes but it was more like 24 - still plenty to choose from and they had an extra day to make some snow with the colder weather.  Definitely recommend - lots of fun.  We paid holiday rate so a little steep but worth it.  Try to go when it's cheaper if you can. 
  • Appalachian Ski Mtn - this was the best thing we did all week.  Again, being our first time we may have not known any better but it was a lot of fun.  All 5 of us skied and did the beginner school.  Learned enough that 3 of us moved up to what I guess is the bunny slope?  We had a blast and now want to go back and ski again some time.

[*]Last thing - the drive.  The views were just incredible.  Maybe my personal favorite part.  We planned to do 100 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway but when we got to Mount Mitchell they had the road closed because I assume the fog/low hanging clouds.  I think driving the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is going on my bucket list.

if you like visiting bottle shops AAA, Peabody's is a decent 1.
Forgot to mention that I did go to Peabody’s as I wasn’t able to make it to any of the breweries :(  

I brought back three 4-packs of Booneshine, including the Tropicale that Molecule mentioned.   :thumbup:

Forgot to mention that I did go to Peabody’s as I wasn’t able to make it to any of the breweries :(  

I brought back three 4-packs of Booneshine, including the Tropicale that Molecule mentioned.   :thumbup:
I’m a stout snob so I can’t comment on that beer 🙂

glad you enjoyed your trip AAA. I really enjoy that area.

Users who are viewing this thread