Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Joe Bryant

Prediction Time - No. 6 Titans vs. No. 3 Patriots -4.5

Prediction Time - No. 6 Titans vs. No. 3 Patriots -4.5  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Tannehill is good  ... but he's no Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'll take NE to play like they were just embarrassed by a 4 win Dolphin team ... and will be "lazer focused" this week.

3 things I'll be looking for;

- RT Marcus Cannon at least slows down the man on his side. Tired of the play ending with Cannon facing his QB who's just been hit or sacked.

- Josh McDaniels pulls his head from his backside and calls plays in the red zone that work.

- Pats front 7 mix up the pass rush and be able to put pressure on the QB ... which they had success with earlier in the season but couldn't seem to do vs MIA

NE 31 // TEN 16

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vrabel comes back to Foxborough and puts the Pats out of their misery

Titans by 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An overlooked player in all this is Jonnu Smith.  He's going to be a matchup problem for the Pats with all the focus on Henry and Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had more confidence in the Patriots offense. That is why the line is not bigger than it probably should be. 

If Brady and company can put a complete game together......this will not be very close IMO. I love the Pat's defense.

They had a massive letdown game vs a weak Dolphins team. I expect a huge bounce back.

 

Patriots - 23

Titans - 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pats 27 Titans 17

 

i think this is when the Pats are at their best. They will have a big chip on their shoulder. They came out flat and overlooked the Dolphins thinking they could just show up and win against a 4-11 team. They won’t make that mistake here imo. Hope I’m wrong though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not willing to bet this game or the Bills/Texans for that matter. If the Titans secondary were healthier I think they would romp, but I wouldn't feel confident in either side even with the points as they stand right now. Titans need to get that run game going and free up AJ Brown to beast down the sideline, Pats will have a chip on their shoulder after faceplanting this past weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Not willing to bet this game or the Bills/Texans for that matter. If the Titans secondary were healthier I think they would romp, but I wouldn't feel confident in either side even with the points as they stand right now. Titans need to get that run game going and free up AJ Brown to beast down the sideline, Pats will have a chip on their shoulder after faceplanting this past weekend.

Well that is really it. If the Patriots stifle the Titans running game.....they will kick the crap out of them. That is the biggest key to the entire game for both sides. If Henry runs wild......good night Patriots. Tannehill will light it up on play action and get the match-ups he wants when they stack the box to slow down Henry. If the Patriots slow him down and hold him under let's say 70 yards they will tee off on Tannehill. 

 

It is an intriguing game and will probably be the best one of the weekend along with the Bills and Texans.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pats have struggled against power running teams, and that's the Titan's strength.

Given how terrible the NE offense is, how much Father Time has caught up with Brady, giving 4.5 points is an awful lot.

I will still go with NE to win, but TEN covers the spread.  20-17.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 8:52 AM, Dr. Octopus said:

Oh man. As a Pats hater I do not like that no one is giving them a chance in this game. 

I am. I think it’s a new season for them. Playing at home with a crowd. I think they blow Tennessee out, but will lose in divisional round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Pats had to shutdown their film crew, they have not looked good.  Who new that knowing your opponent's plays pre-snap could be such an advantage.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chaz McNulty said:

Since the Pats had to shutdown their film crew, they have not looked good.  Who new that knowing your opponent's plays pre-snap could be such an advantage.

They didn't look good in beating the Bills 10 days ago?  I am no Patriots fan, but let's keep it a bit real. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 9:16 AM, SoBeDad said:

Follow the Dolphin defensive game plan and the Titans should win outright with better personnel. The wildcard is Tannehill, who is not as good under pressure as Fitzpatrick. It took a great game from Fitz and Parker and a pick six to beat the Patriots. 

A tiny difference between MIA and TEN may be the NFL's rushing leader.  Fitz had to have a great game, because their running game blows.  Tannehill just needs to play smart.  A mediocre stat line of 18/30 for 200 yards with 1 TD and no INT's can win if Henry has a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard a statistic on NFL network that Tannehill is 4-6 vs Brady in his career. That’s pretty good 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LBH said:

I just heard a statistic on NFL network that Tannehill is 4-6 vs Brady in his career. That’s pretty good 

MIA with Tannehill went 4-1 in Miami and 0-6 in NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

MIA with Tannehill went 4-1 in Miami and 0-6 in NE.

Vrabel is 1-0 vs belichick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, jrt103 said:

Seems like every time the Patriots are declared dead and done they remember how to win

Pats 40-10

this

 

probably more like 28-17 but still, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tool said:

Wow, 75% taking Titans +4.5. 

I am but I wouldn't call it my lock of the week or anything. I just think this is the worst Pats offense they've ever brought to the playoffs and I think the (very improved) Titans team will smell blood in the water and play to crush. I don't think they will actually crush but I have them advancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, PennStater77 said:

I am. I think it’s a new season for them. Playing at home with a crowd. I think they blow Tennessee out, but will lose in divisional round. 

Not sure about a blowout, but they might find their way into the next round.  Not enthusiastic about the first time playoff qb stat I saw earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had trouble scoring  at the end against this insanely weak schedule.  Edelman isn't close to 100%.  They have no other WR or TE they trust .  4.5 is 3-4 too many.  They played 10 non-playoff teams, two #4 seeds.  Were not in the game against BALT and KC.  This reminds me of the 2009 AFC WC card game where Ray Rice ran for 159 yds in NE.
 

Sun, Sep 8 vsPittsburghW33 - 3

Sun, Sep 15 @MiamiW43 - 0

Sun, Sep 22 vsNY JetsW30 - 14

Sun, Sep 29 @BuffaloW16 - 10

Sun, Oct 6 @WashingtonW33 - 7

Thu, Oct 10 vsNY GiantsW35 - 14

Mon, Oct 21@NY JetsW33 - 0

Sun, Oct 27 vsClevelandW27 - 13

Sun, Nov 3 @BaltimoreL37 - 20

Sun, Nov 17 @PhiladelphiaW17 - 10

Sun, Nov 24 vsDallasW13 - 9

Sun, Dec 1 @HoustonL28 - 22

Sun, Dec 8 vsKansas CityL23 - 16

Sun, Dec 15 @CincinnatiW34 - 13

Sat, Dec 21 vsBuffaloW24 - 17

Sun, Dec 29 vsMiamiL27 - 24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In past years where many thought another AFC team was going to be the one to represent the conference in the Super Bowl, it was more about a particular team being that season's "darling" (KC last year, for example), but this year it really is more about the Patriots' woes.  Belichick's team usually get better as the season moves along, but they seem to have regressed for where they were early in the season, which of course could be schedule-related, but it's rare to see the Patriots in the BB/Brady era stumble into the playoffs like this.  As noted above, it feels a lot like 2009 in that regard.  The Titans have the running game and the coaching and the players to pull off the upset this week, but having the capability to do it and actually doing it are two different things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Titans blew out the Pats last year and chances are they were just looking past the Dolphins. The Pats are easily the favorite.

They couldn't tackle Henry last time and I don't doubt he'll do well again but if Gilmore contains Brown, the Titans won't pass well enough to win.

Vrabel has made 52 LB roster moves in two years. Recently cutting Finch was absurd. The Titans have great young ILBs but outside they're awful at stopping the run. The Pats backs run around the corner and catch those little screens all day and are a nightmare matchup for the Titans 

Adoree might play third down but the Titans have Logan Ryan and two street free agents at CB. There's no way Brady struggles throwing against that. 

Pees has been masterful. Evans has played OLB and both Byard and Hooker have played CB. Maybe he can scheme something up.

ST has the Titans with a bad punt returner who was cut this summer as the sixth option. Their kicker has yet to attempt a field goal. Kern is phenomenal but the rest of ST is highly questionable.

Simmons hit the rookie wall after like his third game. If he somehow wakes up, he's a game changer because he and Casey can win the line of scrimmage together. 

I'm hopeful and all but it looks like the Titans will again just be happy to make the playoffs

Edited by Bri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

MIA with Tannehill went 4-1 in Miami and 0-6 in NE.

With Tannehill on the roster or with Tannehill starting? 4-7 isn’t too bad considering the dominance of the Pats over the division 

Edited by LBH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bri said:

The Titans blew out the Pats last year and chances are they were just looking past the Dolphins. The Pats are easily the favorite.

They couldn't tackle Henry last time and I don't doubt he'll do well again but if Gilmore contains Brown, the Titans won't pass well enough to win.

Vrabel has made 52 LB roster moves in two years. Recently cutting Finch was absurd. The Titans have great young ILBs but outside they're awful at stopping the run. The Pats backs run around the corner and catch those little screens all day and are a nightmare matchup for the Titans 

Adoree might play third down but the Titans have Logan Ryan and two street free agents at CB. There's no way Brady struggles throwing against that. 

Pees has been masterful. Evans has played OLB and both Byard and Hooker have played CB. Maybe he can scheme something up.

ST has the Titans with a bad punt returner who was cut this summer as the sixth option. Their kicker has yet to attempt a field goal. Kern is phenomenal but the rest of ST is highly questionable.

Simmons hit the rookie wall after like his third game. If he somehow wakes up, he's a game changer because he and Casey can win the line of scrimmage together. 

I'm hopeful and all but it looks like the Titans will again just be happy to make the playoffs

I can't tell if you're being intentionally pessimistic or trying a reverse jinx. 

I'll say it, I think the Titans win. It will be close but Brown breaks one or two big plays and Henry is enough to push the pats out. 

The defense is a concern if Adoree is limited, but between hooker and byard, they can limit Edelman. 

I'd love to see AJ Brown get a few kick returns. 

27-21 Titans

Edited by -OZ-
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was coming in here to pick the Titans to win outright.  But with all the love going the Titans way the Pats will rise up and take care of business because they just do that whenever the public picks against them and thinks they are done.  Eventually it will happen but I will change my pick based on the consensus Titan love and go with Pats 24, Titans 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

I am but I wouldn't call it my lock of the week or anything. I just think this is the worst Pats offense they've ever brought to the playoffs and I think the (very improved) Titans team will smell blood in the water and play to crush. I don't think they will actually crush but I have them advancing.

Agree here....  Pats offense is not in sync and has no playmakers to rely on.  NEP Def at start of year was against weak Offense (like NYJ 2x, Wash, Giants, Buff & Clev).  I don't think they will have an answer for Henry pounding them and J Smith mismatch.  They can take away WR Brown, but nothing else Tenn will throw at them. 

Prediction:  Tenn 27  NEP 21 

And a NEP score late in garbage time making it look closer than reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 9:16 AM, SoBeDad said:

Follow the Dolphin defensive game plan and the Titans should win outright with better personnel. The wildcard is Tannehill, who is not as good under pressure as Fitzpatrick. It took a great game from Fitz and Parker and a pick six to beat the Patriots. 

This is a great observation.  Fitz was under a lot of pressure but stood in and delivered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never underestimate Belichick's ability to game plan.  That's worth a TD by itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gally said:

I was coming in here to pick the Titans to win outright.  But with all the love going the Titans way the Pats will rise up and take care of business because they just do that whenever the public picks against them and thinks they are done.  Eventually it will happen but I will change my pick based on the consensus Titan love and go with Pats 24, Titans 17

So you completely allowed other’s similar opinions of the outcome of the game, which Neither you nor they have direct impact on, to change your mind? Weird. You either think it or you don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigAl21 said:

So you completely allowed other’s similar opinions of the outcome of the game, which Neither you nor they have direct impact on, to change your mind? Weird. You either think it or you don’t. 

Yep, Wisdom of the Crowds usually isn't that smart when it comes to gambling otherwise casino's wouldn't keep being built. 

 

Patriots always seem to play best when everyone else counts them out.  There is some validity to that.  I also wasn't strongly on the Titans and I hate the Patriots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titans homers, what's the deal with your pass protection? Seems like Mariota and Tannehill have both given up a ton of sacks this year. Those of us who watched Tannehill in Miami realized that was his achilles heel as a Dolphin - Is he still holding onto the ball too long in the pocket when he drops back (particularly on non-play-action?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Never underestimate Belichick's ability to game plan.  That's worth a TD by itself.

Pretty sure who BB has his sights on. Too big of a target to miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One or two things will happen in this game :

1 - The pats go full on terminator.  There's no survivors.  After last week's loss to the Fins and the fact that it's a playoff game this team of playoff vets comes in killing.

 

2 - Tennessee runs the ball up the gut, tannehill hits aj brown for a few big gains and the pats offense continues to be the mess it was during the regular season.  Brady appears to truly be done.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's definitely something up with Brady and the Pats.

Remember his contract voids after this year so this could be his final season with them, indeed this could be his final game as a Patriot.

All year there has been this nasty, bitter vibe from Brady, there have been continual shots of him looking frustrated on the sidelines. Obviously this is mainly because of the team's failure to give him a proper receiving corps, they totally failed to replace Gronk at TE, then they brought in a bunch of veterans that didn't pan out (Thomas, Brown et al), and the result has been he has been playing with kids who can't run routes and he is always having to throw the ball away because they can't get open.

Brady is famous for taking a discount on his salary in order for the team to spend big elsewhere, he can't be happy that he is underpaid and they can't give him proper receivers.

I think you combine Brady's contract weirdness and his anger at the team's personnel failings and his frustration at his fading skills and the result could be quite toxic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Miro Z said:

There's definitely something up with Brady and the Pats.

Remember his contract voids after this year so this could be his final season with them, indeed this could be his final game as a Patriot.

All year there has been this nasty, bitter vibe from Brady, there have been continual shots of him looking frustrated on the sidelines. Obviously this is mainly because of the team's failure to give him a proper receiving corps, they totally failed to replace Gronk at TE, then they brought in a bunch of veterans that didn't pan out (Thomas, Brown et al), and the result has been he has been playing with kids who can't run routes and he is always having to throw the ball away because they can't get open.

Brady is famous for taking a discount on his salary in order for the team to spend big elsewhere, he can't be happy that he is underpaid and they can't give him proper receivers.

I think you combine Brady's contract weirdness and his anger at the team's personnel failings and his frustration at his fading skills and the result could be quite toxic.

 

I wouldn't think Brady would want to play anywhere else, but it's happened before with some of the greats. 

Completely baseless speculation and I don't think it happens, but put Brady could have fun in Carolina if cam doesn't come back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I wouldn't think Brady would want to play anywhere else, but it's happened before with some of the greats. 

Completely baseless speculation and I don't think it happens, but put Brady could have fun in Carolina if cam doesn't come back.  

Rumor of McDaniels to Carolina, so that would be interesting...

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tool said:

Rumor of McDaniels to Carolina, so that would be interesting...

I hadn't heard that yet, but yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Respect the TECH said:

I feel that this is the last year of the Patriots.  Titans all the way with a straight up win.

If they lose to the Titans wouldn't last year have the last year of the Patriots to have any relevance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Win or lose this week, just curious what people's expectations are for declaring the Patriots "done." Not winning another SB in the next decade? Not winning the AFC East next year? Not making the playoffs in the next 5 years? Winning 3-5 games a year for 8 years?

I posted in another thread that it would be very Belichickian to move on from Brady, roll with Stidham, and take the $30-35 million they didn't give Brady to upgrade the offense. What would people project the team's record to be if they kept the defense together, swapped out Stidham for Brady, but added a legit FA WR1 and a legit FA TE? That would probably make the offense mystery WR1, Edelman, Harry, Sanu, mystery TE1, Michel, Harris, White and BB still the coach. Or they could draft a QB, sign a FA QB, or bring in someone like Alex Smith (who could probably be acquired for a half eaten ham sandwich).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Respect the TECH said:

I feel that this is the last year of the Patriots.  Titans all the way with a straight up win.

It would be fitting for vrabel to be key in ending the dynasty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nobody is going to say it, I will - If anyone is going to get a gift call in this game it'll be the Patriots.  Not saying a bad call will be made, but if one happens the Pats will benefit from it.

Never discount that aspect when the Patriots are involved.

(see also: :tinfoilhat::deadhorse::ptts:<_<:cry:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really want the Titans to win but I think going against the Patriots in the playoffs on the road rarely goes well for the visitors.

Patriots 21 Titans 13

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.