What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prediction Time - No. 6 Titans vs. No. 3 Patriots -4.5 (1 Viewer)

Prediction Time - No. 6 Titans vs. No. 3 Patriots -4.5

• Titans +4.5

Votes: 132 73.7%
  • Patriots -4.5

Votes: 47 26.3%

• Total voters
Win or lose this week, just curious what people's expectations are for declaring the Patriots "done."
For me, losing to the 4-11 Dolphins at home in a must-win game signaled the end of the dynastic Brady-Belichick mystique.  The franchise itself may very well continue to be successful in the future but this is the end of an era. 

For me, losing to the 4-11 Dolphins at home in a must-win game signaled the end of the dynastic Brady-Belichick mystique.  The franchise itself may very well continue to be successful in the future but this is the end of an era. 
Like in 2015 when they lost back to back games against the Jets and Dolphins to lose home field advantage?

I've spent the week trying to talk myself out of predicting a Titans victory. Looking at their recent offensive explosion, it has come vs a lot of very mediocre defenses. And New England's D seems set up to combat the Titans O - a huge and stout front 7 to limit Henry, and Gilmore likely to limit the Titans' top WR threat in Brown. As someone else mentioned, I do like Jonnu Smith to have a big game, as he presents not only matchup problems but also the Patriots are likely to focus on taking away other threats first.

On the other hand, the Patriots are 4-4 in their last 8 games, outscoring opponents just 170-164. The only game they won by more than 7 during that stretch was a 34-13 win over the terrible Bengals. It's going to be a cold, rainy night and the Pats fans know they are possibly watching the end of an era. I expect that stadium to be rocking. And their D is still very tough. Plus the Titans kicking game is a travesty. So I'm going to go Patriots, 20-16 - Titans will cover but New England pulls out the win.

The reason I think NE has more to offer than a lot of critics are giving them credit for is the playoff experience factor. Brady has 10 times the number of playoff games under his belt (40 games) than the 5 other AFC starting playoff QBs combined (4) and 30 times the number of playoff wins (30) than those other guys (a combined 1-3 in the playoffs). In some ways, NE looks at the regular season as the preseason.

As far as the Titans-Patriots matchup goes, Tannehill went 0-6 playing in NE with MIA (not that that matters all that much now that he is on the Titans). In those games, the Dolphins got behind by an average of 34-7 before the Phins scored some late game / garbage time points in a couple of those outings.

Tannehill has also gone 3-6 in national primetime night games over his career. We have no idea how he will handle a win-and-go home playoff atmosphere, as a lot of players over the years have played differently in the post season. Similarly, Vrabel has never been a head coach in a playoff game, so really much we can say than to describe him as "inexperienced" when it comes to coaching big games. Who knows . . . maybe the Titans lack of big game playing and coaching experience could help them.

Patriots win but don't cover.  Tennessee keeps this close but Bill has enough film on Tannehill to find and exploit his weaknesses.  Henry can't win this one on his own, and Brady will put them in just enough positive situations to win the game by a FG or so.

The reason I think NE has more to offer than a lot of critics are giving them credit for is the playoff experience factor. Brady has 10 times the number of playoff games under his belt (40 games) than the 5 other AFC starting playoff QBs combined (4) and 30 times the number of playoff wins (30) than those other guys (a combined 1-3 in the playoffs). In some ways, NE looks at the regular season as the preseason.

As far as the Titans-Patriots matchup goes, Tannehill went 0-6 playing in NE with MIA (not that that matters all that much now that he is on the Titans). In those games, the Dolphins got behind by an average of 34-7 before the Phins scored some late game / garbage time points in a couple of those outings.

Tannehill has also gone 3-6 in national primetime night games over his career. We have no idea how he will handle a win-and-go home playoff atmosphere, as a lot of players over the years have played differently in the post season. Similarly, Vrabel has never been a head coach in a playoff game, so really much we can say than to describe him as "inexperienced" when it comes to coaching big games. Who knows . . . maybe the Titans lack of big game playing and coaching experience could help them.
All valid points for sure, but the Pats better come up with some sustained offense, because they just don't look very good.  Brady is no longer a difference maker.  Father time has caught up with him, and he can no longer cover up blemishes......the fact is, Brady looks very mediocre as a QB right now.  Tannehill has been outstanding.  And Henry is a one man wrecking crew.....the Pats D has fallen a bit in the second half of the season.  Currently, I'd say the Titans offense is the best unit going into this game......that said, I will never count out Belichik and Brady.....not until they retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Win or lose this week, just curious what people's expectations are for declaring the Patriots "done." Not winning another SB in the next decade? Not winning the AFC East next year? Not making the playoffs in the next 5 years? Winning 3-5 games a year for 8 years?

I posted in another thread that it would be very Belichickian to move on from Brady, roll with Stidham, and take the $30-35 million they didn't give Brady to upgrade the offense. What would people project the team's record to be if they kept the defense together, swapped out Stidham for Brady, but added a legit FA WR1 and a legit FA TE? That would probably make the offense mystery WR1, Edelman, Harry, Sanu, mystery TE1, Michel, Harris, White and BB still the coach. Or they could draft a QB, sign a FA QB, or bring in someone like Alex Smith (who could probably be acquired for a half eaten ham sandwich).
I would say being around .500 or worse for a couple of years would do this...……..however, I do think the current iteration is done as we know it.  That is not to say that BB can't retool on the fly and get them back in contention......

I really think the Titans should win outright but also can’t help to think it could also be a sucker bet. And we know there’s always the chance of referee shenanigans when it comes to the Pats. But Brady is no longer the face of the NFL, Lamar is, so maybe the Pats really are done.

I really think the Titans should win outright but also can’t help to think it could also be a sucker bet. And we know there’s always the chance of referee shenanigans when it comes to the Pats. But Brady is no longer the face of the NFL, Lamar is, so maybe the Pats really are done.
 Like Mahomes was last year?

Like the multiple calls against them that cost them a win vs. KC and the #2 seed?

Titans based on the line. I think they pull off the upset.

Still, GOAT coach and GOAT QB... pretty solid chance they gameplan Henry out of it and, with no play action to lean on, Tannehill turns back into a pumpkin. DST turnovers/scores will be the difference b/c it's pretty clear the Pats O is terrible right now.

Amazing that almost 75% of the voters are on the Titans side of this.

I dont see that as rational. Itis just what people want to happen.

I voted for the Titans too.

I don’t see the Patriots losing at home in January but the Titans may cover. I’d never bet this game, though. I have a feeling Belichick is going to remind us what Tannehill could be (in a bad way for Tennessee). Look what they did to Goff and Gurley, and that was with a lesser defense. Ok, I convinced myself. Take Pats and give the points. 

Birdie048 said:
Agree here....  Pats offense is not in sync and has no playmakers to rely on.  NEP Def at start of year was against weak Offense (like NYJ 2x, Wash, Giants, Buff & Clev).  I don't think they will have an answer for Henry pounding them and J Smith mismatch.  They can take away WR Brown, but nothing else Tenn will throw at them. 

Prediction:  Tenn 27  NEP 21 

And a NEP score late in garbage time making it look closer than reality. 
The Pats have an excellent secondary and Jonnu doesn't have a mismatch this week. I don't know why everyone (not just Birdie) keeps saying that

Workhorse said:
Titans homers, what's the deal with your pass protection? Seems like Mariota and Tannehill have both given up a ton of sacks this year. Those of us who watched Tannehill in Miami realized that was his achilles heel as a Dolphin - Is he still holding onto the ball too long in the pocket when he drops back (particularly on non-play-action?)
Sometimes but in the way every QB does it sometimes. He's way better at this. He seems to have learned to use his feet and chuck it to the sideline as a panic move. I do prefer this over the common "throw it away" technique. Maybe a diving WR gets it, maybe they don't, but at least it's something. 

He's still awful at sensing pressure from the backside. That's where he reminds us he turns it over a lot. Lewan is one of the best LTs and he's had a bad year, but the last so many weeks, he's been excellent. I saw one scout playing tape where he was taking on two guys and winning several times the last few weeks. Really awesome play lately.

I don't doubt Belichick sends a CB or S blitzing left...if that's always been his weakness and hasn't changed, he's going to do that. The Titans switched to a FB oriented attack when Tannehill came on. Clearly they knew too plus it's helped Henry. The FB will have to get the DB blitzing. Soo my prediction would be if BB doesn't see a FB, he's sending a DB at times.

As far as Tannehill, Titans versus Miami, he's so much more mature. He totally is a guy that messed up there and learned his lessons. Many Dolphins fans have commented similarly this year. I don't know if it's the Titans staff, sitting behind Mariota, reality when your team pays your contract to play elsewhere...whatever it is, he responded beautifully and changed in a positive way.

It's the end of an era in NE before Brady retires. He could of walked away like Elway and P Manning and rode away into the sunset at the G.O.A.T. I just hope his ego at 42 doesn't get the best of him. Sure he trains well. Father time waits and eventually overtakes. I hope he retires a Patriot.

TEN 27 - NE 24. 

Game of the weekend. :excited:

Although the Texans / bills could be close too, this one is just awesome all around.

Can Tom put his #### together?

Can the student beat the devil? Err, master, yeah that's what I meant

Can Henry run? 

Can the Patriots score?

Is tannehill for real? 

This could be a heartbreaker but man it's gonna be epic.

Vrabel is 1-0 vs belichick. 
2-0 :clap:

They had trouble scoring  at the end against this insanely weak schedule.  Edelman isn't close to 100%.  They have no other WR or TE they trust .  4.5 is 3-4 too many.  They played 10 non-playoff teams, two #4 seeds.  Were not in the game against BALT and KC.  This reminds me of the 2009 AFC WC card game where Ray Rice ran for 159 yds in NE.

I was wrong.  They got more. 182 yards rushing for Henry.   Edelman only 5 targets.  I think Harry dropped that many.  

I don't remember anything like this- non Titans fans expecting a W in a playoff game and they pull it off. It's interesting. They're finally getting respect and before a huge offseason which will have their team (possibly) quite different next year

Had the Antonio Brown situation not blown up, the Pats would have finished much stronger.   That supporting cast of receivers was not going to do it.  Looking back, overpaying for Sanu was the first sign of desperation.

Users who are viewing this thread