Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Thorn

You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k

Recommended Posts

How much (if any) do you give to the giver?

This happened to the bouncer at my local - he was the giver, to his little sister's best friend who is like a member of the family (for now).  She got a check for $71,000. She is a manager at a McDonald's. They are similarly situated. Does that change your answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a second thought 5k cash.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might not tell anyone as things currently stand. Although I'd be paying for the next vacation. 

But if I know the giver really could use the money I'll give half. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people give these with the expectation of getting some $ if it hits?

I would probably give 1/2 or close to it.  That's still a $35K Christmas gift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, -OZ- said:

I might not tell anyone as things currently stand. Although I'd be paying for the next vacation. 

But if I know the giver really could use the money I'll give half. 

Yeah, that would be part of the equation as well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, that would be part of the equation as well.  

We're fortunate enough that none of the adult family is really in need.  Frankly $100k wouldn't change a thing. We'd have some fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Do people give these with the expectation of getting some $ if it hits?

No.  

Do people expect to win 100k?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, that would be part of the equation as well.  

Of course.  If the giver was rich, or a fairly well off 80 year old, then I ain't givin em a dang thang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

We're fortunate enough that none of the adult family is really in need.  Frankly $100k wouldn't change a thing. We'd have some fun with it.

Look at this guy.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frostillicus said:

Look at this guy.

🤷‍♂️ We're not the level of most FBGs but we're okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local guy won 35k.  He gave $1k to the cashier that sold it to him.  Seems fair.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Do people give these with the expectation of getting some $ if it hits?

I would probably give 1/2 or close to it.  That's still a $35K Christmas gift. 

this.  I'd give half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Was the ticket scratched in front of everyone?

Yes, but does it matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Local guy won 35k.  He gave $1k to the cashier that sold it to him.  Seems fair.

Cashier is a different dynamic, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to answer until it happens to you, but yeah at least $5K, maybe $10K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the US the max gift amount is 15k before tax crap pops up.  So that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Yes, but does it matter?

Yes, a bit.  Might change how much you have to give to not look like a D bag 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Cashier is a different dynamic, no?

Yes.  I wouldnt give anything to the cashier unless it was a store I go to a lot and won millions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on who gave it to me.

If it was a close friend or family member, I'd give them half. If it was a distant relative or friend-of-a-friend, I'd give them maybe $5K.

If it was a co-worker from a white elephant exchange, I probably wouldn't give them anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely gotta give a tip not sure how much though. I can see 1k to 5k.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

We're fortunate enough that none of the adult family is really in need.  Frankly $100k wouldn't change a thing. We'd have some fun with it.

Good for you 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 

We've given and received lottery tickets in the past, as part of the dirty Santa game.  Definitely not as a "real" gift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get tipping the dealers, and do (generously). But when I make my quarterly bonus I don’t go tipping a portion of it to the next person I see. That’s my income. Can’t imagine giving the cashier at the store a cut. It’s irrational. Glad the lottery compensates merchants. It’s not about generosity. I’d rather give a few grand to one of many solid charities than the person that handed me the ticket. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a grand or so but not much more. 

As the giver, you shouldn't expect a dime.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zow said:

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

Definitely depends on the relationship, and I’d opt for something extravagant and thoughtful. You can get someone a very nice gift for a grand or two, depending on what they’re into. 

Edited by Mr. Ham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Many years ago, I knew a guy who played lotteries as frequently as I do. (I buy tickets when it’s big, and these days that’s often.) We agreed if one of us ever hits over $100m jackpot, we’ll buy the other a car worth over $100k. Depending on how much I won, I could imagine tracking him down and spending a million. Knowing him, he’d reciprocate. I think we both know how happy we’d be for the other, and how the gesture would make it sweeter by sharing.

That’s a decent arrangement. But unless we agree at the time of the exchange, and there’s an equitable agreement, don’t come knocking at my door. 

So, if I win I'll buy you a beach house. Vice versa? :hifive:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Definitely depends on the relationship, and I’d opt for something extravagant and thoughtful. You can get someone a very nice gift for a grand or two, depending on what they’re into. 

I guarantee they are into getting 1/2 of that $. 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.

The original question wasn't "how much do you expect if you are the giver?" The question is "how much do you give if you received the ticket?" If you give the ticket expecting to get part of the winnings, you are a schmuck. But if you get the ticket, win win big, and don't share with the giver, you are also a schmuck. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.

You serious clark? The two people in this real life scenario are both poor, and I never said anyone expected anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zow said:

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is sort of a hostile thread about what constitutes a gift, thoughtfulness, tips, etc.

I'm sort of out because i don't get the tone, but I'd give the bouncer 10,000 flat. Call a day and #### it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.

See? This is nice.

Gift horses in mouths and all that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is sort of a hostile thread about what constitutes a gift, thoughtfulness, tips, etc.

I'm sort of out because i don't get the tone, but I'd give the bouncer 10,000 flat. Call a day and #### it.

My reaction is born out of audacity of expecting the receiver to be far, far more generous than the giver.

I take a statistical view.

Let me explain. On average, people lose the lottery, so there is negative equity in the gift. On the main, you could have gotten me a better gift. So when on the rare occasion someone hits and there is an expectation of splitting the proceeds, it’s a subsidy for deadbeat gift givers.

And pragmatically, I gave you sort of a lazy gift. It cost me little, and required little effort or thought. 

Wow, you won. Now I expect you to make a major and stressful moral/social decision and sacrifice a material amount of money. It’s not in any way equitable.

Basically, I think there should be some standards in life. One is don’t buy lottery tickets as gifts of you expect to profit if one wins.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, miapug said:

I would give 200 $5 scratcher tickets

Thanks for the $8, pal.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’d have 10k in cash ready. Two stacks of 5k. If I hear any complaining, I take 5k back and leave the other 5k. True friends won’t complain about a 10k gift, would they?

Edited by Mario Kart
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr. Ham can you explain your fascination on expectations? If someone bought the ticket with no expectations, what would you give them? Zero?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

My reaction is born out of audacity of expecting the receiver to be far, far more generous than the giver.

Basically, I think there should be some standards in life. One is don’t buy lottery tickets as gifts of you expect to profit if one wins.

Fair enough. I missed the audacity. Is the bouncer upset she didn't give him anything?

Yeah, you shouldn't expect "negative equity" in the gift.

I tend to agree with you on those points. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 

It's not from the perspective of the giver.  

If you were gifted a big winner, would you give some to the giver?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Stated above. Depends on relationship to giver. Ideally giver doesn’t know result and I don’t tell, which makes any decision independent of the pressures of the moment, which let’s be real are considerable and favor irrational acts.

As a rough %, I think a rule of thumb would be a 1% max on the gross as a “tip,” but I’d avoid it to a random giver if they didn’t have to know, or there wasn’t a solid basis for my giving them a massively generous gift, which also let’s be real, it would be if I chose to give them a substantial amount of my money.

-

If this bothers you, get me a real gift and not lottery tickets you secretly hope to leech off of if they win. 

And I’d be lying if I didn’t report my bias and suspicious that the people who buy lottery tickets as gifts are likely to be the types that will lay on all kinds of social pressure and puppy dog eyes as soon as you win and don’t consider them...

...which makes lottery tickets ####ty gifts, unless you don’t care to know the result. And if you don’t need to know, then you don’t need a tip. 

As stated, everyone saw and knows.

As stated, the giver should not expect anything.

Possibly not stated, everyone will think you are a total jerk if you dont give a portion back to the giver.   Not the giver, everyone else.

Edited by ghostguy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.