Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Thorn

You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k

How much (if any) do you give to the giver?

This happened to the bouncer at my local - he was the giver, to his little sister's best friend who is like a member of the family (for now).  She got a check for $71,000. She is a manager at a McDonald's. They are similarly situated. Does that change your answer?

Without a second thought 5k cash.

• Like 7

I might not tell anyone as things currently stand. Although I'd be paying for the next vacation. 

But if I know the giver really could use the money I'll give half. 

• Like 2

Do people give these with the expectation of getting some $ if it hits?

I would probably give 1/2 or close to it.  That's still a $35K Christmas gift. 

Just now, -OZ- said:

I might not tell anyone as things currently stand. Although I'd be paying for the next vacation. 

But if I know the giver really could use the money I'll give half. 

Yeah, that would be part of the equation as well.  

• Like 1

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

We're fortunate enough that none of the adult family is really in need.  Frankly $100k wouldn't change a thing. We'd have some fun with it.

3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

No.  

Do people expect to win 100k?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Of course.  If the giver was rich, or a fairly well off 80 year old, then I ain't givin em a dang thang.

2 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

We're fortunate enough that none of the adult family is really in need.  Frankly $100k wouldn't change a thing. We'd have some fun with it.

Look at this guy.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Just now, Frostillicus said:

Look at this guy.

🤷‍♂️ We're not the level of most FBGs but we're okay

Local guy won 35k.  He gave $1k to the cashier that sold it to him.  Seems fair.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I would probably give 1/2 or close to it.  That's still a $35K Christmas gift. 

this.  I'd give half

11 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Was the ticket scratched in front of everyone?

Yes, but does it matter?

11 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Local guy won 35k.  He gave $1k to the cashier that sold it to him.  Seems fair.

Cashier is a different dynamic, no?

Hard to answer until it happens to you, but yeah at least $5K, maybe $10K

• Like 1

In the US the max gift amount is 15k before tax crap pops up.  So that.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Yes, but does it matter?

Yes, a bit.  Might change how much you have to give to not look like a D bag 

5 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Cashier is a different dynamic, no?

Yes.  I wouldnt give anything to the cashier unless it was a store I go to a lot and won millions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Depends on who gave it to me.

If it was a close friend or family member, I'd give them half. If it was a distant relative or friend-of-a-friend, I'd give them maybe $5K.

If it was a co-worker from a white elephant exchange, I probably wouldn't give them anything.

• Like 2

Definitely gotta give a tip not sure how much though. I can see 1k to 5k.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Good for you 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 

We've given and received lottery tickets in the past, as part of the dirty Santa game.  Definitely not as a "real" gift.

I get tipping the dealers, and do (generously). But when I make my quarterly bonus I don’t go tipping a portion of it to the next person I see. That’s my income. Can’t imagine giving the cashier at the store a cut. It’s irrational. Glad the lottery compensates merchants. It’s not about generosity. I’d rather give a few grand to one of many solid charities than the person that handed me the ticket. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe a grand or so but not much more. 

As the giver, you shouldn't expect a dime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zow said:

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

Definitely depends on the relationship, and I’d opt for something extravagant and thoughtful. You can get someone a very nice gift for a grand or two, depending on what they’re into. 

Edited by Mr. Ham

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Many years ago, I knew a guy who played lotteries as frequently as I do. (I buy tickets when it’s big, and these days that’s often.) We agreed if one of us ever hits over $100m jackpot, we’ll buy the other a car worth over $100k. Depending on how much I won, I could imagine tracking him down and spending a million. Knowing him, he’d reciprocate. I think we both know how happy we’d be for the other, and how the gesture would make it sweeter by sharing.

That’s a decent arrangement. But unless we agree at the time of the exchange, and there’s an equitable agreement, don’t come knocking at my door. 

So, if I win I'll buy you a beach house. Vice versa? :hifive:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Definitely depends on the relationship, and I’d opt for something extravagant and thoughtful. You can get someone a very nice gift for a grand or two, depending on what they’re into. 

I guarantee they are into getting 1/2 of that $. 

• Laughing 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.

The original question wasn't "how much do you expect if you are the giver?" The question is "how much do you give if you received the ticket?" If you give the ticket expecting to get part of the winnings, you are a schmuck. But if you get the ticket, win win big, and don't share with the giver, you are also a schmuck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.

You serious clark? The two people in this real life scenario are both poor, and I never said anyone expected anything. 

17 minutes ago, Zow said:

My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is sort of a hostile thread about what constitutes a gift, thoughtfulness, tips, etc.

I'm sort of out because i don't get the tone, but I'd give the bouncer 10,000 flat. Call a day and #### it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.

See? This is nice.

Gift horses in mouths and all that...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is sort of a hostile thread about what constitutes a gift, thoughtfulness, tips, etc.

I'm sort of out because i don't get the tone, but I'd give the bouncer 10,000 flat. Call a day and #### it.

My reaction is born out of audacity of expecting the receiver to be far, far more generous than the giver.

I take a statistical view.

Let me explain. On average, people lose the lottery, so there is negative equity in the gift. On the main, you could have gotten me a better gift. So when on the rare occasion someone hits and there is an expectation of splitting the proceeds, it’s a subsidy for deadbeat gift givers.

And pragmatically, I gave you sort of a lazy gift. It cost me little, and required little effort or thought. 

Wow, you won. Now I expect you to make a major and stressful moral/social decision and sacrifice a material amount of money. It’s not in any way equitable.

Basically, I think there should be some standards in life. One is don’t buy lottery tickets as gifts of you expect to profit if one wins.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, miapug said:

I would give 200 $5 scratcher tickets

Thanks for the $8, pal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I’d have 10k in cash ready. Two stacks of 5k. If I hear any complaining, I take 5k back and leave the other 5k. True friends won’t complain about a 10k gift, would they?

Edited by Mario Kart
  • Like 1

@Mr. Ham can you explain your fascination on expectations? If someone bought the ticket with no expectations, what would you give them? Zero?

53 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

My reaction is born out of audacity of expecting the receiver to be far, far more generous than the giver.

Basically, I think there should be some standards in life. One is don’t buy lottery tickets as gifts of you expect to profit if one wins.

Fair enough. I missed the audacity. Is the bouncer upset she didn't give him anything?

Yeah, you shouldn't expect "negative equity" in the gift.

I tend to agree with you on those points. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

It's not from the perspective of the giver.  

If you were gifted a big winner, would you give some to the giver?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Stated above. Depends on relationship to giver. Ideally giver doesn’t know result and I don’t tell, which makes any decision independent of the pressures of the moment, which let’s be real are considerable and favor irrational acts.

As a rough %, I think a rule of thumb would be a 1% max on the gross as a “tip,” but I’d avoid it to a random giver if they didn’t have to know, or there wasn’t a solid basis for my giving them a massively generous gift, which also let’s be real, it would be if I chose to give them a substantial amount of my money.

-

If this bothers you, get me a real gift and not lottery tickets you secretly hope to leech off of if they win. 

And I’d be lying if I didn’t report my bias and suspicious that the people who buy lottery tickets as gifts are likely to be the types that will lay on all kinds of social pressure and puppy dog eyes as soon as you win and don’t consider them...

...which makes lottery tickets ####ty gifts, unless you don’t care to know the result. And if you don’t need to know, then you don’t need a tip. 

As stated, everyone saw and knows.

As stated, the giver should not expect anything.

Possibly not stated, everyone will think you are a total jerk if you dont give a portion back to the giver.   Not the giver, everyone else.

Edited by ghostguy123