What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k (1 Viewer)

Thorn

Footballguy
How much (if any) do you give to the giver?

This happened to the bouncer at my local - he was the giver, to his little sister's best friend who is like a member of the family (for now).  She got a check for $71,000. She is a manager at a McDonald's. They are similarly situated. Does that change your answer?

I might not tell anyone as things currently stand. Although I'd be paying for the next vacation. 

But if I know the giver really could use the money I'll give half. 

Do people give these with the expectation of getting some $ if it hits?

I would probably give 1/2 or close to it.  That's still a $35K Christmas gift. 

Depends on who gave it to me.

If it was a close friend or family member, I'd give them half. If it was a distant relative or friend-of-a-friend, I'd give them maybe $5K.

If it was a co-worker from a white elephant exchange, I probably wouldn't give them anything.

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 
We've given and received lottery tickets in the past, as part of the dirty Santa game.  Definitely not as a "real" gift.

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 

Many years ago, I knew a guy who played lotteries as frequently as I do. (I buy tickets when it’s big, and these days that’s often.) We agreed if one of us ever hits over $100m jackpot, we’ll buy the other a car worth over $100k. Depending on how much I won, I could imagine tracking him down and spending a million. Knowing him, he’d reciprocate. I think we both know how happy we’d be for the other, and how the gesture would make it sweeter by sharing.

That’s a decent arrangement. But unless we agree at the time of the exchange, and there’s an equitable agreement, don’t come knocking at my door. 
So, if I win I'll buy you a beach house. Vice versa? :hifive:

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.
The original question wasn't "how much do you expect if you are the giver?" The question is "how much do you give if you received the ticket?" If you give the ticket expecting to get part of the winnings, you are a schmuck. But if you get the ticket, win win big, and don't share with the giver, you are also a schmuck. 

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.
You serious clark? The two people in this real life scenario are both poor, and I never said anyone expected anything. 

I’d probably buy them something nice but giving the substantial cash seems strange. Those of you saying 1/2 seems nuts to me. I mean, maybe if I was the rich uncle and the broke nephew gave me the gift but otherwise no way. 
My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.

My sister-in-law always buys me tickets for Xmas.  She would never accept a dime.   My son bought some scratchers for me this year for the first time.  I'd give him half cuz he needs it.  And because the only gift he now puts on his list for all of us is to donate money to his heart surgery camp for kids, Camp Del Corazon.
See? This is nice.

Gift horses in mouths and all that...

I’d have 10k in cash ready. Two stacks of 5k. If I hear any complaining, I take 5k back and leave the other 5k. True friends won’t complain about a 10k gift, would they?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr. Ham can you explain your fascination on expectations? If someone bought the ticket with no expectations, what would you give them? Zero?

My reaction is born out of audacity of expecting the receiver to be far, far more generous than the giver.

Basically, I think there should be some standards in life. One is don’t buy lottery tickets as gifts of you expect to profit if one wins.
Fair enough. I missed the audacity. Is the bouncer upset she didn't give him anything?

Yeah, you shouldn't expect "negative equity" in the gift.

I tend to agree with you on those points. 

Don’t get this. Lottery ticket is a ####, selfish gift if you expect a penny. Correct answer is nothing. But if in generous mood, maybe $1k.

When I give someone a gift, it’s theirs. If I expect otherwise, and especially if I gift on expectation of a return, I’m a jerk.

Maybe lesson is to scratch alone and tell no one.

Edit: Seriously, screw anyone giving lottery tickets expecting they’re gambling on behalf of themselves. So tacky. Get a decent, thoughtful gift if this is you. Goes double if you’re someone who would talk smack if you didn’t get what you think is an adequate kickback. 
It's not from the perspective of the giver.  

If you were gifted a big winner, would you give some to the giver?

Stated above. Depends on relationship to giver. Ideally giver doesn’t know result and I don’t tell, which makes any decision independent of the pressures of the moment, which let’s be real are considerable and favor irrational acts.

As a rough %, I think a rule of thumb would be a 1% max on the gross as a “tip,” but I’d avoid it to a random giver if they didn’t have to know, or there wasn’t a solid basis for my giving them a massively generous gift, which also let’s be real, it would be if I chose to give them a substantial amount of my money.

-

If this bothers you, get me a real gift and not lottery tickets you secretly hope to leech off of if they win. 

And I’d be lying if I didn’t report my bias and suspicious that the people who buy lottery tickets as gifts are likely to be the types that will lay on all kinds of social pressure and puppy dog eyes as soon as you win and don’t consider them...

...which makes lottery tickets ####ty gifts, unless you don’t care to know the result. And if you don’t need to know, then you don’t need a tip. 
As stated, everyone saw and knows.

As stated, the giver should not expect anything.

Possibly not stated, everyone will think you are a total jerk if you dont give a portion back to the giver.   Not the giver, everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the crux. I’ve probably given the impression I’m not generous. I actually am. But I do what I think is right and don’t really care what people think. I think what’s right is 1%, but it’s even better if the giver never knows and receives nothing. The fact this societal expectation exists bolsters my belief that giving in to that may be convenient, but is decidedly not right. 

Again, I suspect a motive for giving tickets is the expectation of how the receiver will be viewed if they fail to be “generous.” And I think that a ####ty motive, which is why it’s best to shut it down with some logic and reason, but better for all of you can obscure the win entirely.
This.

If you don't think giving at least $10k to the person who gave you a ticket worth $75k is the least you can do.

You ain't generous bro. 

Users who are viewing this thread