What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (1 Viewer)

Assuming the Browns are #1 - which NFL team is the next most dysfunctional?

• Washington Football Team

Votes: 77 34.2%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Buffalo Bills

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Las Vegas Raiders

• Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Los Angeles Chargers

• New York Giants

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Other Teams (please feel free to post which team)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Faust

MVP
The NFL Regular Season has ended. A new decade has begun.

It has been a few years since I asked this question, so it is time to look at this again.

Link to my last poll:

2016: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional?

Dysfunctional traits within NFL teams can be found in a few layers:

1. Ownership 

2. Front Office and General Management 

3. Coaches 

4. Players 

I am looking forward to the discussion on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Browns - not close.   8 way tie for second, so I didn't choose.  Leaned toward Miami but felt too much bias.

The pendulum has swung on the Browns....a year ago we all sang their praises, now we bury them.  Yet they still have a lot of talent.

#1 Jacksonville

#2 Chicago

The pendulum has swung on the Browns....a year ago we all sang their praises, now we bury them.  Yet they still have a lot of talent.

#1 Jacksonville

#2 Chicago
Credit the GM for building a talented roster.  Now he is gone.  Mayfield's development could also be impaired by a string of revolving coaches...  No stability.

In a division, where it will be VERY difficult to surpass Baltimore or Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future.  I don't see things getting any better for the Brownies.

In what world do the Buffalo Bills even belong on this list?  They are almost the exact opposite of dysfunctional since Beanne and McDermott came on board. 
A bit of a whiff on my part. The Bills were so dysfunctional for so long but appear to be moving in the right direction now.

In what world do the Buffalo Bills even belong on this list?  They are almost the exact opposite of dysfunctional since Beanne and McDermott came on board. 
This is still what most fans around the NFL think of the Bills. Tons of people see this season as a fluke thanks to an easy schedule and still think the Bills are a crummy inept team. They’re all wrong, but that’s what they think.

I'm honestly overwhelmed by the number of "good" choices. I was talking to my father the other say about how nice it would be if there was a mechanism for replacing bad owners. It's not very feasible, but still....

Anyway, I voted Browns #1 though that could change. If they hit on the next GM/HC combo they could take a jump. But on the level of turnover and losing right now, I have them as the remaining leaders.

I voted Jacksonville #2. So many good candidates. Snyder gives Washington a perpetually high ceiling for awfulness, but the combination of firing Allen and hiring Rivera looks pretty good. Mike Brown makes Cincy a perennial member of this list. Since this is an update, however,  I'm giving Jax a boost for retaining Marrone.

Before I read the comments and having just voted, I have to say I have no idea why the Bills are on the list.

ETA nevermind I figured it was brought up and it was. 

Unlike players and coaches, there is no threshold to surpass.  Have enough money and few enough obvious negatives and anyone can own an NFL team.
Yep. The NFLs mega popularity hides the fact that a bunch of owners have no interest or clue how to build a winning organization. 

It's still the Browns. Until the ownership changes, it'll always be the Browns.

It's time to start considering the Giants for this list.

Trying to figure out how buffalo makes the first list and Dallas doesn't 
Dallas isn't dysfunctional, they're just vastly overrated. as America's team, that can't be good playing on Nat'l TV every week,and being that bad year in and year out.

Buffalo isn't dysfunctional. they're Schizophrenic. good one week, doormats for the next game. for all the love they get, all the talk, they don't win the big game. like, ever.

oh we're going to win the afc east.nope.NE slammed that door. they can't beat NE, but a hapless hot weather team like Miami team can, in 30 degree weather on the road.LOL.

Josh Allen is NOT that good. He's average, at best. their defense is average. but they lack quality coaching and have since Levy resigned. 

I thought  the Jets were, but the Lions bring that to a new level. They're just pathetic. have they won a title since WW II?! never won a SB in the 50+ year history? damn that's bad.

Bears are lousy and had one lucky year with Rex , but besides that they haven't done a thing since 1985. so , 35 years ago?! wow.

Giants have had a bad streak of GMs and coaches, they're pretty bad. Gettleman sucks. 

The Browns will start winning despite themselves.they have SO MUCH talent they can't possibly keep losing. competent coaching will fix that.and quick.

Vikings are pretty bad, too. another never-has-been team that hasnt won a thing since , oh let's see, have they won anything ever? lol.4 SB appearances, nothing to show for it.

they're a mirror image of Buffalo. they'll never win anything. at least the Jets can say we won a SB, Vikes can't even say that.

I almost went Redskins with the 1st answer, but saw I had an opportunity to select both the Browns & Redskins.

I’m not really sure it’s the Browns. They showed a lot last season, and made a poor coaching decision. 

the Redskins are a team that’s had player revolts, don’t seems to handle injury appropriately, have had numerous players refuse to play for them, handle young talent poorly, trade away talent, and have not been competitive in so long it’s ridiculous. Their owner is a complete DBag, and they refuse to pick a non-racist name. 

it is what it is - my votes technically both go to WAS.  

Browns #1

No doubt Jets #2.......Gase is a dumpster fire. That locker room can't stand him already.

I put Miami.  The Browns at least made some moves and seem to be trying.  Every player that leaves Miami via trade or isn't resigned goes to another team and either blows up (in a good way) or at least becomes a solid contributor on the new teams (Drake, Tannehill, Welker, L Miller).  They've managed to stink in the same ways even through coaching changes.

I put Miami.  The Browns at least made some moves and seem to be trying.  Every player that leaves Miami via trade or isn't resigned goes to another team and either blows up (in a good way) or at least becomes a solid contributor on the new teams (Drake, Tannehill, Welker, L Miller).  They've managed to stink in the same ways even through coaching changes.
Lamar Millers best and most explosive years were with Miami.

Drake had two productive seasons with Miami (both as a rusher and receiver). This season with Arizona was his best as a rusher but his receiving numbers were down. The reason he has never been given the full load in Miami were Jay Ajayi being here in 2017 and running wild in 2016 (so he was given every chance to repeat that) and Frank Gore being here in 2018 and being....Frank Gore. I always liked Drake and felt they under used him. 

Welker played with Tom Brady.......before Brady he had Gus Ferotte ,Sage Rosenfelds and a washed up Daunte Culpepper and Joey freaking Harrington. Come on man. 

Tannehill - Call me skeptical. He had a nice 2 year run for the Dolphins. He had a good 2014 and 2015 here and was having a good 2016 until his knee injury and he never recovered 100% and blew his ACL in the pre-season/training camp and missed all of 2017. He was not the same QB in 2018. His pocket presence is still subpar, can hold the ball too long and will fumble when sacked. He also can get tunnell vision and lock onto his primary too often and throw picks as a result. Let's see how he goes the rest of his career.

2019 he does not beat out Marriota coming our of training camp and pre-season. Has gone 7-3 as a starter for the Titans.......and welcome to the post season for the first time in his career and goodnight as I believe the Patriots will knock them out in a hard fought game tomorrow. I am rooting for him......But he was hard to watch sometimes down here. His deep ball accuracy was always bad. Now he has very solid OL, RB and WR core. So maybe the change of scenery turned the light on for him. Also he went through several codinators and two coaches down here. But again.....color me skeptical. He is no Super Bowl caliber QB.

You are over stating this disfunction about the players you mentioned IMO.

We have an excellent new coach. The fact this team won 4 games with this roster was a miraculous. I think the dysfunction is coming to end (if the front office dysfunction can end which I am also skeptical about based on past drafts).

This team loves playing for Flores. That is not a dysfunctional team.

The Jets can't stand Gase already.

The Browns......well they are the Browns nuff said.

The Jags are a bad football team, with a non existent fan base. There was a recent stretch where the Jags lost five straight by 17+ points. They were the first to lose five straight by 17+ since the 1980-something Buccaneers. 

Jags are crap and so much money is tied to Foles. 

I almost went Redskins with the 1st answer, but saw I had an opportunity to select both the Browns & Redskins.

I’m not really sure it’s the Browns. They showed a lot last season, and made a poor coaching decision. 

the Redskins are a team that’s had player revolts, don’t seems to handle injury appropriately, have had numerous players refuse to play for them, handle young talent poorly, trade away talent, and have not been competitive in so long it’s ridiculous. Their owner is a complete DBag, and they refuse to pick a non-racist name. 

I'd say Washington as well. They're just not run like a real team. All teams have talent, but not many do less with what they have. They're run like a fantasy football team come to life, with hothead decisions, short-term thinking and bad lineup choices. 

I see too much of myself in that team, except I have successful seasons mixed in with the losers. I'm hit and miss. They're pretty much miss. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:

100% agree with all of this, I was the same, both votes went to WAS......glad the 2nd poll was clearly in favour of the Redskins.  Browns are moving in the right direction

Edgar said:
There was a recent stretch where the Jags lost five straight by 17+ points. They were the first to lose five straight by 17+ since the 1980-something Buccaneers. 
Interesting and surprising stat.

The very fact that this annual poll has evolved into a two-part structure speaks to the fact that it is still the Browns,  Always the Browns,

After that it is close between Washington and Jacksonville...too ineptly managed franchises with ownership that actually hurts the onfield product.

Washington wins the tiebreaker for having been woeful for so much longer.  Even though the Jaguars are on a fast dive for the bottom, they were competitive in a conference championship game not that long ago.

I would have gone with the Jags, but in following them over the years it seems like Sal Khan stays out of the way and let football people Matt Millen up his program. That's different than meddling and indignant losing like the Browns, Redskins, Cincinnati, and the Jets pull. It takes non-football guys making football decisions to really muck it all up. 

Users who are viewing this thread