What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sam Wyche passes away at age 74 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I hate to start the new year with bad news, but former Bengals and Buccaneers coach Sam Wyche died earlier today at the age of 74.  I'm not sure what the cause of death was as I'm still learning details.

As far as I'm concerned, what Sam Wyche will always be remembered for was when he was coaching the Bengals and people were throwing junk out onto the field and Wyche got on the microphone and said, "Will the next person that sees anybody throw something out onto this field, point 'em out and get 'em out of here.  You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!"  Is that what he's going to be remembered most for or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
He was fiesty, animated, enthusiastic and a coach that got players ready to roll!  He enjoyed what he did and got the most out of it. A true character and one of the good ones.

Loved his head to heads with glanville, pure wwe.

RIP

I hate to start the new year with bad news, but former Bengals and Buccaneers coach Sam Wyche died earlier today at the age of 74.  I'm not sure what the cause of death was as I'm still learning details.

As far as I'm concerned, what Sam Wyche will always be remembered for was when he was coaching the Bengals and people were throwing junk out onto the field and Wyche got on the microphone and said, "Will the next person that sees anybody throw something out onto this field, point 'em out and get 'em out of here.  You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!"  Is that what he's going to be remembered most for or not?
Thought it was snowballs, not trash, but absolutley an unforgettable moment.

Guy played for the Bengals then coached then to a SB. That's unique and awesome. Remember that SB very clearly, was a memorable game and a dogfight with the 9ers.

Was also a pretty inventive coach, the first to install a no-huddle base offense. Also remember him driving d coordinators mad by sending 12 or 13 guys into the huddle, to have a few sprint back to the sidelines before the ball was hiked. Impossible to know the personnel.

RIP Wicky Wacky Wyche.

Guy played for the Bengals then coached then to a SB. That's unique and awesome.
He also played in a Super Bowl (as a backup for the '72 Redskins). How many NFL quarterbacks appeared in a Super Bowl as both a player and a head coach? The only other one I can think of is Gary Kubiak.

Sam worked with Bill Walsh to create the West Coast offense.  Seemed like a good guy.  I remember watching NFL films years ago and he was walking around talking to his players as they stretched before the game and said something like "You excited?" "Can you believe we get paid to do this?  And paid well"

I did read Sam had a heart transplant a year or two ago so maybe things did not go well.  RIP

gump said:
Played a major (forgotten) role in building the Bucs great 10 year run. RIP
I came in to post this very thing.  He built the team that Dungy got the credit for (or at least put it well on its way).

He was the coach of the Bengals when Montana threw a Hail Mary TD to win and beat the spread. I went nuts in the sports book in Vegas. Lost everything including parlays on that play. Good coach though. RIP Sam

Users who are viewing this thread