What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Australia's Fires (1 Viewer)

Is that a legit number?  It seems like it could include insects. Still sad and crazy fires though. 
Legit number. Definitely not factoring insects into the number. 

People are trapped on beaches to escape the flames. This is a biblical level disaster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
500 million animals killed.  :sadbanana:
Yeah it’s staggering how big this fire is. Smoke from it would cover half of Europe and will continue to burn for a long time. Area burned so far is twice the area that burned in the Amazon last year and they are just getting into the summer. 

Fires in AU have been burning for 32 days. 10 million acres burned so far. 10. Million. 

hard to get my head around that. 

I was in Sydney about 10 days ago. The first day we got there the sun looked dark red and the air was rife with smoke. It's only gotten worse. An amazingly sad situation regarding the loss of animal life. Luckily roos screw like rabbits.

What was the start of these fires? And why has it been so devastating? 

In other words, what was different about this year that caused such devastation?

Read about how absurd this was last night. Weird that doesn't seem to getting a ton of coverage here.

What was the start of these fires? And why has it been so devastating? 

In other words, what was different about this year that caused such devastation?
From what I've seen it looks as though all of the conditions aligned.  They're experiencing record droughts and higher than normal temperatures.  Dry lightning (? - not sure what that is, but what I read.  I guess it's like heat lightning?) strikes start them and winds are blowing embers.  No rain in sight and the abnormally dry conditions have caused them to spread exponentially.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen it looks as though all of the conditions aligned.  They're experiencing record droughts and higher than normal temperatures.  Dry lightning (? - not sure what that is, but what I read.  I guess it's like heat lightning?) strikes start them and winds are blowing embers.  No rain in sight and the abnormally dry conditions have caused them to spread exponentially.
Lightning without rain hitting the ground. 

I usually don’t go in for this kind of thing but it sure as hell looks like the impending apocalypse 

Is there any level of event that would cause this country or the people of Earth to unite to confront climate change? I’m not making an argument that this is or isn’t climate change related but it should at least scare people enough to what could happen if we don’t find address our issues full on right now. 

Fires in AU have been burning for 32 days. 10 million acres burned so far. 10. Million. 

hard to get my head around that. 
5,000,000 hectare so far. In comparison, the Brazil and California fires were 2,700,000 combined.

This is hot.

Not all heroes wear capes, according to fans of 'the Naked Philanthropist' Kaylen Ward. 

Ward, a 20-year-old model and Instagram influencer, earned a name for herself with a wildly successful campaign that raised over $1 millionfor the wildfire relief efforts in Australia. Every one of her followers was promised a nude photo if they donated to approved charities, and millions did. 

Last Thursday, Ward announced her second fundraising campaign on Twitter, now turning her sights to fundraising efforts for Puerto Rico, where earthquakes have devastated the island nation.

Users who are viewing this thread