What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (4 Viewers)

It means what I said.
I get it now. fka twigs is a band, and their album is Lp1. I thought fka was short for something and so was lp1. Like idk means i don't know. Nevermind. Looking back in the thread I listened to songs by them. I like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate using my phone to draft so I will edit this in the morning.  

Continuing on with the strategy of drafting my favorite artists who produced albums in the last decade that weren't my favorite albums of theirs but will do just fine....

7.15 My Morning Jacket - Circuital 2011 

Write up owed....

8.01 Wooden Shjips Back to Land 2013

Good sounds to get blazed to.....

More owed, more to follow.  Move along.  Move along. 

7.13 - Solange - A Seat at the Table (2016)

I'm a second child which may help explain why I gravitated to Solange vs. her more famous sister.  I liked her 2012 EP True but A Seat at the Table was a great artistic leap for her.  It has a spacious, chilled out vibe that I can use on my island.  Even though there are like twenty producers, the album feels like an album.  There are a whole bunch of spoken word interludes which I could have done without but which the Black women in my household put down to my lack of wokeness.

Borderline (An Ode to Self Care)

Cranes In the Sky

Don't Wish Me Well

8.03 - FFS - FFS (2015)

A one-off by the Mael Brothers from Sparks and the members of Franz Ferdinand.  Sparks seems to carry the dominant gene because it sounds more like them than FF.  The voices of Russell Mael and Alex Kapranos are very complimentary when they swap leads.  Some of the jokes are funnier than others but even the misses are amusing.  It's definitely the silliest album I've ever taken to an island with me and the inclusion of Franz Ferdinand fulfills my Scots requirement.

Johnny Delusional

Dictator's Son

Piss Off

My personal connection between Solange and Sparks is we tried to see both artists on the same night in different cities.  Solange was playing the Greek Theater in Berkeley while Sparks was playing an 11:30 show at a club in SF.  We probably should have sold our tickets for one but we couldn't decide on which.  Mistakes were made but adventures were had and we still managed to catch most of Sparks' set.

I'm good with the current pace and propose we keep the current draft rules through EOB Friday.

If nerds are getting restless, we could move to an untimed pick per day :shrug:

I get it now. fka twigs is a band, and their album is Lp1. I thought fka was short for something and so was lp1. Like idk means i don't know. Nevermind. Looking back in the thread I listened to songs by them. I like them.
Ftw s1

Sorry, I skipped @D_House :bag:
 I can see how that would happen. I'm also down with whatever people choose as their speed.

There are a whole bunch of spoken word interludes which I could have done without but which the Black women in my household put down to my lack of wokeness.
Oh boy. The only "concept" or "woke" skits I ever didn't mind were those from Wylcef Jean's The Carinval which would hardly be considered "woke" in today's environment. In fact, those skits were plentiful and abundant in putting women in general down and bringing guns up to sneak the topics therein, given the label heads' likely disdain for the subjects. I suppose what's good for the goose, but my LP/format buying is definitely altered by the presence of "skits." Ooof. 

I'm good with the current pace and propose we keep the current draft rules through EOB Friday.

If nerds are getting restless, we could move to an untimed pick per day :shrug:
I like the current pace though I'm not sure how Ed O'Brien's solo project influences things. 

I mean, I'm not sure I'd call her a "band".  She puts on one of the best live shows I've ever seen though.  It's like a piece of ballet, very choreographed performance art.

Alright, let's get some more 80s inspired female fronted electro pop on here, no not that group, no not that one either. This album is pretty much perfect IMO. Lots of good bangers for the island to pep me back up after that LDR pick last round. The singles are absolutely massive, which is why I'm linking half the album below.

8.06 - Chairlift - Something (2012)

Wrong Opinion

I Belong in Your Arms

Amanaemonesia

Sidewalk Safari

Met Before

@Ilov80s on the clock

Hate using my phone to draft so I will edit this in the morning.  

Continuing on with the strategy of drafting my favorite artists who produced albums in the last decade that weren't my favorite albums of theirs but will do just fine....

Write up owed....

Good sounds to get blazed to.....

More owed, more to follow.  Move along.  Move along. 
Alright, coffee flowing, time give these draft selections their proper due....

Stumbled upon this band watching Austin City Limits from the comfort of my recliner and at first, scoffed at their name and thought I'd be turning the channel quickly.  Boy was I wrong!  This began a long love affair with the power group from Louisville.  I inhaled everything they had, buying up CDs where I could find them (I was late to the digital party) and finally got to see them live in Portland at the exceptional Edgefield for their tour of Circuital.  They did NOT disappoint (I don't think they ever do).  

Live version of "Victory Dance" from ACL 2016 - Vintage MMJ, letting every band member flex their muscles while Jim James just belts it after lulling us in slowly.

Outta My System  - Catchy tune that kinda sounds like the Beach Boys were transplanted in time and helped MMJ write a song.

Now one lowlight on the album is a song I immediately hated - I think most fans cringe when they hear it.  But then I watched them play it live and, well, I changed my tune. He introduced his gorgeous backup singers who moved like they were in a Robert Palmer video and, well, you got me, MMJ....you got me.  Holding on to Black Metal - live AND HORNS!!!!

I was in the midst of an online fantasy football draft in the summer of 2016 listening to the Dandy Warhols Pandora station when I heard a song come on I'd not heard and got yanked out of my drafting trance.  What was that sound?  It was new but oddly familiar, as if it was a collection of sounds from bands long ago, bands that tickled me right where I itch, artists who relied on mumbling through songs (Lou Reed, Michael Stipe) with a heavy reliance on guitar and psychedelic sound.  I immediately switched Pandora over to Wooden Shijps radio and listened to it straight for about 3 weeks.  

The San Francisco based band had two albums to choose from last decade and I could go with either, but it was the song Back to Land that got me hooked first.  Lead guitarist/vocalist Ripley Johnson is the other half of Moon Duo with Sanae Yamada (also terrific if you like psychedelic rock, and I do) and I honestly just can't get enough of this sort of sound.

Back to Land - Creepy clown video warning

These Shadows - Another solid song off this album.  Just nice, melodic guitar moving along beautifully with the bass and drums, which propel the song like a passenger train gliding rhythmically through rural America. 

Live version of Ruins, which is just another song I can bob my head to without needing to try and decipher whatever lyrics are being dribbled out into the mic. 

Alright, let's get some more 80s inspired female fronted electro pop on here, no not that group, no not that one either. This album is pretty much perfect IMO. Lots of good bangers for the island to pep me back up after that LDR pick last round. The singles are absolutely massive, which is why I'm linking half the album below.

Had this on my long-list.  Nice pick.

Wrong Opinion

I Belong in Your Arms

Amanaemonesia

Sidewalk Safari

Met Before

@Ilov80s on the clock
Was on my list. Love "I Belong in Your Arms". Can't remember if I've picked any Chairlift in previous drafts (think I did), but great pick.

The San Francisco based band had two albums to choose from last decade and I could go with either, but it was the song Back to Land that got me hooked first.  Lead guitarist/vocalist Ripley Johnson is the other half of Moon Duo with Sanae Yamada (also terrific if you like psychedelic rock, and I do) and I honestly just can't get enough of this sort of sound.
Ripley Johnson's latest side project is the Rose City Band.  They're more guitar based than Moon Duo with a bit of a Grateful Dead vibe at times.

8.09 - Braids - Native Speaker (2011)

You thought I was done trying to corner the market on avant-garde, off-the-wall, what-the-hell-am-I-listening-to Canadian female artists after I took Grimes in the first round?  Au contraire.  I present to you Raphaelle Standell-Preston.  I'll follow this woman's music to the ends of the earth, regardless of which of her projects she's working on at any given time.  I'll let some Wikipedia snippets do the talking, since they're more eloquent than I am.

According to the band's Q interview, [the album] cost less than $500 to make. "We just had to rent drum mics and cover the mastering. I guess we only have to sell about 100 copies to break even!", Raphaelle Standell-Preston remarked.

The band’s way of mixing pop and avant-garde music met with much critical acclaim. "Braids' uniquely feminine experimental pop is largely a success", argued Allmusic, mentioning Animal Collective, Björk, Karen O, Cocteau Twins, Siouxsie Sioux, and Yeasayer as possible influences.[1] According to Spin, the album "pairs glimmering, pastoral post-rock with foul-mouthed lyrics", making this girl's psyche preparation a fascinating thing to watch.[5] "This is a band that is all about abstraction, experimentation and, most important, obfuscation", a Prefix reviewer remarked.[6] Ian Cohen of Pitchfork noted the peculiarity of the quartet's brand of dream pop, saying, "There are dreams, there are nightmares, and then there are those night visions that don't quite qualify as either, the unnerving images and dialogues that rattle about your head in your waking life for the rest of the day and reveal strange, forgotten details every time you pick at them. That's the kind of stuff we need to be talking about if we're going to call Braids 'dream-pop' as so many others have".[7]

As Rolling Stone put it, the band's debut "takes the beatific psychedelic washes of Animal Collective back to the testy clatter of punk-folk wild women the Raincoats — an at times nutty, at times serene, mash-up of pastoral guitar babble, minimal orchestral drones, loopy chorale vocals and porous, roiling rhythms".[8] Asked if the band was sick of the Animal Collective comparisons, Raphaelle Standell-Preston said: "Not at all. We were 17 when we first discovered the record Feels. We would go to parties and end up just sitting in the car and listening to Feels instead of going inside". Explaining the Sylvia Plath reference in the track "Plath Heart", the singer said: "My mother, who's a writer, did her thesis on The Bell Jar, so that's a novel I grew up with. Plath was a big influence on me when I was younger and feeling a bit morose and dark. As I'm getting older I'm like Jesus, Sylvia, lighten up".[3] The title of the song "Lammicken" was taken from Tess of the d’Urbervilles, and the song's lyrics were inspired by the Old English meaning of the word, "weakness of a lamb".[9]

Prefix magazine described Native Speaker as the "beguiling, bewitching debut album" calling it "this young year's early champion, an engrossing album that bears the very real possibility that you won’t 'get it' even after a dozen listens". "What's most astonishing is the fact that Native Speaker is self-produced, and that it's so self-assured," argued Andrew Winistorfer. "You’ll probably listen to more immediate albums this year, but few will have the down-the-rabbit-hole quality that marks Native Speaker for success".[6] "Rarely do teenage kicks result in such eloquent, nuanced records as this", wrote Q reviewer Dan Stubbs, pointing out the way "the band's youth shines through the lyrics".[3] "The quartet's bracing debut... is almost Inception-like in its warping of reality, equally tactile and dissolute, cerebral and surreal and ultimately haunting for its refusal to answer questions the same way twice," according to Pitchfork.[7]
"Same Mum"

"Plath Heart"

"Lemonade"

"Lammicken"

Ripley Johnson's latest side project is the Rose City Band.  They're more guitar based than Moon Duo with a bit of a Grateful Dead vibe at times.
Awesome, thanks!  I wonder if he moved to Oregon; thought I read something about that.  Between the band name and the song "Rip City" I have to wonder about the Portland influence.

Fwiw, I can't read those multi colored posts at all- have to zoom in...on my phone and half blind, so take it for what it's worth.

Rd 8 Immunity by Jon Hopkins (2013)

genre: electronic 

Hopkins created the album's warm, alive feel by shunning digital perfection in favor of the analog synthesis of original sounds, both electronic and physical. - Pitchfork

It is that rarest of things in 2013, an album which demands to be listened to as a whole and indeed functions best as an hour-long work of art. - MusicOMH

Open Eye Signal

We Disappear

Immunity

Anna Meredith- Black Prince Fury//Jet Black Raider (2011 & 13...eps combined into an lp...I think)

First heard Nautilus on kcrws new sounds playlist when it came out. Blew my mind. Think I voted for the ep in one of our year end drafts. Have been following her since....interesting artist combining classical with texhno and indie. Also dig Okra amongst many others. If you watched Paul Rudd's living with myself, she did the soundtrack, including tunes from these eps.

Users who are viewing this thread