What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

Round 13

Album: Western Stars

Artist: Bruce Springsteen

Release Year: 2019

The Wayfarer

Sleepy Joe's Cafe

Drive Fast (The Stuntman)

I've lived in New Jersey for the last 30 years (plus 4 years of college) so I believe I'm contractually obligated to love Bruce. I have grown to really appreciate his longevity, changes in musical styles, dedication to his band and the tons of fun music he's put out there. My boss (no pun intended) is a HUGE fan but not necessarily of this record that he refers to as his "Glenn Campbell" album. For me, outside of The Rising, it's his best album since Tunnel of Love.  

12.xx - The Tree of Forgiveness by John Prine (2018)

John Prine is one of my favorite songwriters of all time, and I want him on my island.  The Tree of Forgiveness is John's first album of original music since 2005. I love his songs whether they are funny, serious, sad, or happy. He is 73 now, has survived cancer twice, and is still making his music. His voice is a little different since part of his neck was removed from his cancer, but he still sounds like himself, and it sounds like he has learned to work with the difference in his vocals compared to 4 or 5 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the end of April.

Boundless Love

Knockin' on Your Screen Door

Summer's End

Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)

Lonesome Friends of Science
Bonnie Raitt's tribute to Prine is the only thing I'm interested in at the upcoming Grammy Awards.

ETA:  and the In Memorium segment of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Spreadsheet updated to here.  Apologies if I transposed any artists and titles.

Missing picks (prior to today)

9    .    4    ---    El Floppo
10    .    12    ---    El Floppo
11    .    1    ---    Abrantes
11    .    5    ---    El Floppo
11    .    6    ---    General Malaise
11    .    11    ---    Northern Voice
12    .    1        Abrantes
12    .    3    ---    Dr. Octopus
12    .    4    ---    Eephus
12    .    5    ---    El Floppo
12    .    6    ---    General Malaise
12    .    8    ---    KarmaPolice
12    .    11    ---    Northern Voice
12    .    14    ---    Steve Tasker

Didn't you and ren hoek talk about him in a previous draft? The Genrepalooza one that ren participated in?

eta* EIther way, it's slightly wonderfully calming. 
Yes, he's a Nujabes fan, he and I have traded drafting his songs on occasion in past drafts.  Super calming music for sure.

12.xx - Neon Indian - Era Extraña (2011)

My island needs more dance music.  Wikipedia calls this synthpop, dream pop, indietronica, psych pop, new wave.

But make no mistake about it.  This is one of a handful of quintessential chillwave albums.  Chillwave is dead, long live the chillwave.

These days, he's basically making disco music.  And it's not bad.

Grantland's Dave Schilling argued that the term chillwave was created to reveal "how arbitrary and meaningless" existing labels such as "shoegaze" and "dream pop" were. He explained that chillwave "was a parody of a scene, both a defining moment for the music blogosphere and the last gasp. Sites like Gorilla vs. Bear and Pitchfork bought into it for a while, and sincere think pieces in traditional media publications like The Wall Street Journal asked, 'Is Chillwave the Next Big Music Trend?' It never could have been a proper trend, because it was transparently manufactured."[24]

As of 2015, the majority consensus was that chillwave was a fabricated non-genre.[49] In 2016, [Neon Indian's Alan] Palomo described labels like "chillwave" and "vaporwave" as "arbitrary" and that he "couldn't have been more happy" about the "chillwave" descriptor falling out of favor.[63] Toro y Moi's Chaz Bundick publicly expressed ambivalence toward the genre, saying, "I like the fact that I'm associated with it. It's cool. Not a lot of artists get a chance to be a part of some sort of movement, so I guess in a way I'm super flattered to be considered a part of that."[58] In 2015, Fitzmaurice reflected that the "holy triumvurate" of [removed these two for spotlighting] and Neon Indian had maintained their careers in spite of the genre's decline.[44] Tom Hawking predicted that the "chillwave era will most likely be a footnote to musical history, a faint flaring of middle class angst in a frightening time for everyone. But that doesn't mean it's not worth examining regardless, because its simple existence says far more about a generation than the music itself ever did."[34]
"Polish Girl"

"Hex Girlfriend"

"Era Extraña"

"The Blindside Kiss"

13.xx - Dark Holler Pop by Mipso (2013)

Time for some homegrowns. I listened to this album a lot in 2013. Mipso is a band from NC, and I'd classify them as bluegrassy Americana. The band consist of three guys and a girl. The girl is the fiddle player, and after this album she also became one of the lead singers. On this album two of the guys sing lead on different songs. They played here last night, but I was watching football and didn't go. They tour a lot. It's been cool hearing them grow musically over the years on their records, but my favorite is still where it all began with Dark Holler Pop.

Louise

Red Eye to Raleigh

A Couple Acres Greener

When I'm Gone

Early A.M. EST - Jan 20th, 2020

13.05 - Nada Surf - You Know Who You Are - 2016

Just another outstanding release from another artist encumbered with popular one-hit wonder status that upon further examination reveals not only potential future artistic fineness, but also commercial viability and band longevity. This is surely a mid-tempo release that does little to recall the ferocity of its band's biggest hit, which was an unlikely plea for romance in a sea of libertine/communal dating advice as seen through the lens of an outsider. (Yes, it was a swipe at how disposable certain cultures had been about people within romantic relationships in the past, and how they continue to be, especially 40s and 50s American dating culture as imagined in nineties form.)

Okay, enough about the hit. It's been done. Click the spoiler for more info, takes, etc. This is a fine album. It's not going to get me to jump out my seat and start dancing, but it's had my head nodding on long drives enough for it to have burned an easy way into my heart over the past three years or so. It sounds fresh and doesn't really fall into any traps an older pop band who does what they do might fall into. This is definitely bar or driving music to nod to, to absorb, to let wash over one and envelop.  And the album is a grower. If I have a complaint, and a serious one for a click-happy generation that has no tangible media, it's that the ordering of the tracks seems like a mistake. A huge one. The truly exciting songs are at the end, aside from Friend Hospital, which is another standout. Anyway, I post this now because I go see them tomorrow. I won't get personal but it's a big deal to be able to go, simply put. The names of the tracks I'm posting tell the story in text. Herewith the tracks. 

Friend Hospital

Gold Sounds

Victory's Yours

Reveal hidden contents
From NPR, Jason Heller: "'Don't get me started about how hard it is to start or stay on track," Matthew Caws, singer-guitarist of Nada Surf, sings in "Cold To See Clear" — one of the many anthems that grace the group's eighth album, You Know Who You Are. Not that Caws and crew seem to have any problem staying on track themselves. The stalwart power-pop band has weathered the stormy fortunes of the music industry since making a splash with its 1996 hit "Popular."

Pitchfork won't review the album. They hate Nada. That's okay guys, you stick with the under 3 rating you gave Let Go back when your writers were lying about traversing the city to the Beastie Boys' To The Five Boroughs.

A more intelligent and dispassionate criticism can be found at Brooklyn Vegan here. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/why-we-left-nad/

"They’ve got quality material on all of their albums, but the main reason we didn’t think they belonged on the list is that Nada Surf’s post-major label career as a fruitful indie band didn’t feel as much like a story in 2014 as most of the bands we included. Nada Surf have been putting out well-received releases on Barsuk since 2002, and when we think about the great music that Barsuk’s put out over the past decade-plus, Nada Surf’s albums immediately come to mind. When most Burger Records fans think of Burger Records, I don’t think their first thought is The Muffs or the Superdrag-related The Lees of Memory, who both signed to the label this year. It’s been totally normal to see Nada Surf booked on an indie-leaning music festival like Bumbershoot (more than once), Waterloo’s SXSW parties, and Sasquatch for at least six years. And unlike “Flagpole Sitta” or “Sucked Out,” which still loom large over Harvey Danger and Superdrag’s respective careers, ask a younger music fan about Nada Surf and there’s a good chance they’re more likely to tell you about Lucky (2008) than “Popular.” A scroll through BrooklynVegan’s “Nada Surf” tag shows we’ve consistently covered them over the years, whereas the bands on the list haven’t gotten much coverage. We didn’t feel that highlighting Nada Surf to BV readers at this point would fit the theme of “band you didn’t think were the best ’90s bands,” because that just seemed like old news."

The nineties were my decade of my real cognizant youth as far as being part of a time or generational space. It's too bad some of the ideas of pop were anti-pop without art, weird pastiches of oftentimes nipple-gazing grunge but also maudlin and mawkish rock on the outskirts of pop as well. It wasn't a very good decade for pop, actually. IMO, punk had its garage/punk pop revival and disco had its own revival in Moby and the early to mid part of the decade. That's where you'll find good nineties music. In its shoegaze, its alternative, its punk, its own disco. Anyway, Nada Surf falls into alternative radio fodder, never alternative always fodder for critics. I mean, it was bad. The eighties snuck some punk and new wave and old soul through, the nineties never had a chance. So Nada Surf gets viewed in context here --  there are some other older stalwarts that put out a record this decade that I won't spotlight, but this is probably the album that makes the most sense and is eminently listenable. If the 90s had a pop band not marred by tragedy, surely these cats make cut as one of the finest.

Alright let's do it

Nada Surf - The Stars are Indifferent to Astronomy - 2011

clear eye clouded mindhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=honovfwgL9s
Was not expecting the Nada Surf run but I'm here for it. 

13.xx - Arkells - High Noon (2014)

#### it, I'm gonna do it.  They're all great albums.  On a decade retrospective, I think this is the best of the bunch.  This isn't some artsy Pitchfork obscure album.  It's just an album that reminds you how much fun music can be.  Because that's what it's all about, right?

"11:11"

"Leather Jacket" (Live at Wayhome)

"Come to Light" (Live at CBC Music Festival)

"Systematic"
I had pick 11.11 too, big missed opportunity.

Slammed- sorry about the delay here...and the missing pick that didn't post. That one was...

9... IDLES- brutalism

10... Dirty Projectors- swing lo Magellan

11... Beirut- Rip Tide

What round are we on?

Spreadsheet updated to here.  Apologies if I transposed any artists and titles.

Missing picks (prior to today)

9    .    4    ---    El Floppo
10    .    12    ---    El Floppo
11    .    5    ---    El Floppo
11    .    6    ---    General Malaise
11    .    11    ---    Northern Voice
12    .    3    ---    Dr. Octopus
12    .    4    ---    Eephus
12    .    5    ---    El Floppo
12    .    6    ---    General Malaise
12    .    11    ---    Northern Voice
12    .    14    ---    Steve Tasker
You gave my 12th round pick to D_House. I edited the sheet.

Another favourite here, is it alt-country, is it emo, is it indie rock, is it "fourth wave emo", who's to say but it's pretty great and the singer even managed to somehow #MeToo himself for seemingly very little reason and still come out the other side of it.

So satisfied I said a lot of things tonight
So long Aphasia & the ways it kept me hiding
It's not so much exactly all the words I used
It's more that I was somehow down to let them loose

12.11 - Pinegrove - Cardinal (2016)

Aphasia

Old Friends

Size of the Moon

Was not expecting the Nada Surf run but I'm here for it. 
The show was pedestrian, I must admit. I think the album I selected was a time in my life, a moment. I was more into getting a Let Go tribute on vinyl with that Charli band @Jaysusloves and Aimee Mann for ten bucks than I was into a show at the vaunted Troubadour.  Such is the life of a firmly middle-aged guy, I guess.

Slammed- sorry about the delay here...and the missing pick that didn't post. That one was...

9... IDLES- brutalism (2017) well done

10... Dirty Projectors - swing lo Magellan (2012) dance for you 

11... Beirut- Rip Tide  (2011) rip tide

What round are we on?
12... White Reaper- white Reaper does it again (2015) make me wanna di

Years and a tune from each added above

Round 14

Album: Waiting on a Song

Artist: Dan Auerbach

Release Year: 2017

Waiting on a Song

Never In My Wildest Dreams

Shine On Me

We've had two Black Keys records drafted thus far so I'll go with Dan Auerbach's solo effort which trends more towards my current musical leanings anyway. This record is more mellow, acoustic and "prettier" than his Keys records - it's a great summer in the backyard listen.

13.ee - Day of the Dead - Various Artists (2016)

I'm drafting for value with this one.  Not only do I get almost five and a half hours of music here but I also pick up a bunch of artists who have already been drafted.

Day of the Dead is a tribute to the music of the Grateful Dead performed by a who's who of modern (mostly American) indie bands.  The project was organized by the Dessner twins from the National along with Josh Kaufman.  A lot of the tracks were recorded with a common house band so the massive album has a sound that's relatively cohesive by the standards of tribute albums.  There are some sonic experiments, especially on discs 4 and 5 of the CD version but that's in keeping with the spirit of the Dead.  There's an incredible 17 minute version of "Terrapin Station" that I won't link for the playlist but is worth a listen.

I've never been much of a Deadhead, especially for someone who's lived on Haight Street for 24 years.  This album highlights their songwriting rather than their playing which shows the talents of Robert Hunter as a lyricist.

Rubin & Cherise - Bonnie "Prince" Billy

Box of Rain · Kurt Vile and the Violators featuring J Mascis

Sugaree - Phosphorescent featuring Jenny Lewis

A fave release of 2019

The Raconteurs ‎– Help Us Stranger - 2019

Bored and Razed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zkthrkfk0A

Help Me Stranger - https://youtu.be/pDtIABGdc18

Don't Bother Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYv819hzKcs

Round 14

Album: Waiting on a Song

Artist: Dan Auerbach

Release Year: 2017

Waiting on a Song

Never In My Wildest Dreams

Shine On Me

We've had two Black Keys records drafted thus far so I'll go with Dan Auerbach's solo effort which trends more towards my current musical leanings anyway. This record is more mellow, acoustic and "prettier" than his Keys records - it's a great summer in the backyard listen.
Both of these were on my list. 

Nice selections. 

12... White Reaper- white Reaper- does it again (2015) make me wanna di

Years and a tune from each added above
This draft is a big slap in the face reminding me just how out of touch I am with modern music.    I haven't heard of 1/2 of the artists and haven't heard 3/4 of the tunes but I do like White Reaper thanks to my nephew.   He shares his music with me and this is the only band that I enjoyed.   That doesn't mean the new music isn't good.   It means that music has passed me by.   

This draft is a big slap in the face reminding me just how out of touch I am with modern music.    I haven't heard of 1/2 of the artists and haven't heard 3/4 of the tunes but I do like White Reaper thanks to my nephew.   He shares his music with me and this is the only band that I enjoyed.   That doesn't mean the new music isn't good.   It means that music has passed me by.   
Do you have Spotify? That's helped me stay current with stuff I like, plus the music threads here

I don't.   I do have Amazon music on Alexa though.   Not sure that helps.  
I am not sure that it does, Spotify got me back into music in a way that I have not been for years.  I can't say enough good things about how it learns what I like. 
Amazon music has service tiers.  Their "Unlimited" product is most comparable to Spotify in terms of library size but it has a monthly charge over and above Prime.  "Prime Music" comes with Prime (duh) and has a more limited number of songs.

I used Prime Music on my Echo until I could figure out how to change the default music app.  It was OK but didn't offer a very deep selection.  I actually use my smart speakers more to listen to radio (BBC6, KEXP, etc.) than Spotify or Amazon Music.  Alexa and her Google equivalent usually frustrate me when I'm asking for a particular album or song.

Amazon music has service tiers.  Their "Unlimited" product is most comparable to Spotify in terms of library size but it has a monthly charge over and above Prime.  "Prime Music" comes with Prime (duh) and has a more limited number of songs.

I used Prime Music on my Echo until I could figure out how to change the default music app.  It was OK but didn't offer a very deep selection.  I actually use my smart speakers more to listen to radio (BBC6, KEXP, etc.) than Spotify or Amazon Music.  Alexa and her Google equivalent usually frustrate me when I'm asking for a particular album or song.
Yeah...our Google mini is fickle at best with voice commands for specific artists or songs. It plays through Spotify though at least

I won't be around much until Tuesday so if I'm owed here's my two ideas for now:

St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City 

And

Black Books - Black Books.

Can detail it up later.  
Alright, catching up.....

Looks like St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City - 2014 got slotted in at 10.01 so that's great.  First time I heard these guys I pictured the lead singer looking precisely like somebody who you'd spot in a smoke filled bar in Mississippi, holding a long-neck in one had and the mic in the other as the hard scrabble blues man belted out lyrics as if he was pulling them up from his boots and willing them out into the room.  When I saw what he actually looked like, I had to do a triple-take.  Not what I was expecting!  I was expecting Bobby Blue Bland.  Instead, I got a clone of modern day puffed up Elton John.  Regardless, this band brings the heat and while I haven't enough history with them to say which album is their best, I just chose this one because it rocks enough and will be the party album I use on my island.  Alone.  Which is just fine by me.  As long as I learn how to make wine.

I won't be around much until Tuesday so if I'm owed here's my two ideas for now:

St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City 

And

Black Books - Black Books.

Can detail it up later.  
But, my choice at 11.06 didn't get added, so I put it on the spreadsheet.

11.06 Black Books - Black Books - 2013

Not a whole lot of info out there about this group from Austin, but I enjoy their sound quite a bit.  I think you will too if you're unfamiliar.  My first taste was the song Favorite Place  and when I first heard it, I thought it was a Nada Surf song, only with more harumph.  That lead me to The Big Idea, which is another great song off this album.  

I will catch up on picks today.   Sorry for the delay!

12.06 - Beck - Morning Phase - 2014

I consider Beck Hansen one of the greatest musicians and songwriters of my generation (I'm 47) and am a little surprised this one wasn't picked yet.  It's a "companion piece" to his 2002 album "Sea Change", which he wrote in like a week after he caught his fiance cheating on him.  Sea Change is what I listened to on repeat when I went through my divorce in 2007, so it's near and dear to my heart.  I don't know Morning Phase as well, but it would be nearly impossible for any album to get the run that Sea Change did at a point in my life where I was at my absolute lowest.  But Morning Phase is sensational as well.  Highlights for me....

Say Goodbye

Waking Light - Live this song is so goshdamn beautiful.  

Morning

I am not sure that it does, Spotify got me back into music in a way that I have not been for years.  I can't say enough good things about how it learns what I like. 
Do you guys have premium?  I don't, but this draft is making me consider it hard. 

Round 14 - The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It (2016)

The 1975 is one of the few modern guitar bands (or at least bands that stick to the traditional RnR lineup of four lads) that can still play the big stage at a major festival.  I Like It When You Sleep touches a lot of bases over the course of an hour.  It has hooky Pop songs, sexy R&B slow jams, dancey dance songs and arty experimentation.  Almost all of them work, at least for me. 

Their new album due in April 24th is right up there with the new 007 movie and baseball opening day as my most anticipated events of the upcoming months.

UGH!

Paris

If I Believe You

Spreadsheet updated to here

Missing picks (excluding today's)

12    .    2    ---    D_House
13    .    1    ---    Abrantes
13    .    2    ---    D_House
13    .    6    ---    General Malaise
13    .    7    ---    ilov80s
13    .    8    ---    KarmaPolice

Need to make up a couple

I'm going to have a lot of time to kill on the island, so a double album is never a bad way to go. I've missed out on what may be my two favourite songs of the decade but this one has a third contender. 

11.11 - M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (2011)
Was in consideration for me, of course.  :stalker:

Users who are viewing this thread