What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (2 Viewers)

Spreadsheet updated to here

Missing picks (excluding today's)

11    .    1    ---    Abrantes
12    .    1        Abrantes
12    .    2    ---    D_House
12    .    8    ---    KarmaPolice
13    .    1    ---    Abrantes
13    .    2    ---    D_House
13    .    6    ---    General Malaise
13    .    7    ---    ilov80s
13    .    8    ---    KarmaPolice
:ph34r:  I'll make my picks in a bit.

I'm rather loathe to do this since it's come out that this guy is a bit of a rapey dickmitten, but......well, I'm not drafting HIM.  I'm drafting his music and more to the point, I'm drafting his entire cover of an album of an artist I do respect and love.  Without further ado...

13.06 Ryan Adams - 1989 - 2015

I just like it.  It's a nice alternative to the original, which is a fantastic album, imo.  Just want a different sound than Taylor Swift's original and I think this is a pretty solid effort by Adams. 

Bad Blood

Wildest Dreams - this is terrific.

Shake it Off

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys have premium?  I don't, but this draft is making me consider it hard. 
I got premium thinking it was the family plan. The wife only listens to 80s classic new wave standards, pearl jam, and thinks she discovered Billie eilish.... And the kids listen to nonsense. I don't want to only up any more, but have gotten used to no commercials.  Didn't hate too much having commercials and not paying.

I got premium thinking it was the family plan. The wife only listens to 80s classic new wave standards, pearl jam, and thinks she discovered Billie eilish.... And the kids listen to nonsense. I don't want to only up any more, but have gotten used to no commercials.  Didn't hate too much having commercials and not paying.
Yeah, this is where I'm at right now.  :thumbup:

I'm rather loathe to do this since it's come out that this guy is a bit of a rapey dickmitten, but......well, I'm not drafting HIM.  I'm drafting his music and more to the point, I'm drafting his entire cover of an album of an artist I do respect and love.  Without further ado...

I just like it.  It's a nice alternative to the original, which is a fantastic album, imo.  Just want a different sound than Taylor Swift's original and I think this is a pretty solid effort by Adams. 

Bad Blood

Shake it Off

We had the discussion earlier in the thread when I found out about the bolded and was going back and forth on how I felt about drafting and/or even listening to his music in light of this (with so much other music available) - but I actually did listen to this record/stream while driving my step-son back to college last night and was going to suck it up and draft it soon.

I can't remember any other artist covering a big pop record song for song while making it sound like one of their records. I'm not a huge Swift fan but she can obviously write catchy pop songs and I think Adams turns them into something more in my wheelhouse while spotlighting just how well written the songs were in the first place. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at right now.  :thumbup:
I'm an "album" purist so in addition to the commercials I do not like that with non-premium you can only listen on shuffle mode either.

I say this as some one glomming onto my brother-in-law's family plan, but if that ever fell through I do think I'd step up and pay the $10 a month and be ok with it.

Another one I'm surprised is still around considering the adoration it had at The Hoof (among other areas - Pitchfork really liked this one)....

14.06 Michael Cronin - MCII - 2013

Ty Segall seems to get more accolades and attention, but for my money, I'll take Segall colaborator Michael Cronin and consider MCII a modest masterpiece of garage rock.  Nothing overly complex to it, but it's melodic and catchy and deserves a spot in this draft.  Here's the highlights for me:

See It My Way

Shout It Out

Weight

We had the discussion earlier in the thread when I found out about the bolded and was going back and forth on how I felt about drafting and/or even listening to his music in light of this (with so much other music available) - but I actually did listen to this record/stream while driving my step-son back to college last night and was going to suck it up and draft it soon.

I can't remember any other artist covering a big pop record song for song while making it sound like one of their records. I'm not a huge Swift fan but she can obviously write catchy pop songs and I think Adams turns them into something more in my wheelhouse while spotlighting just how well written the songs were in the first place. 
I'm already forgetting the band, but they covered Neon Bible this year and sounded great doing it.

Bad Blood

Shake it Off

Rapeys not ok, but Scientology is?

Beck has disavowed himself from the Church of Scientology.

The musician, 49, has long been one of the most high-profile stars associated with the organization — and has previously sung its praises on TV and in print interviews. But now, on the heels of his divorce last February from second-generation Scientologist Marissa Ribisi, Beck has changed his tune.

In an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald promoting his new record Hyperspace, Beck clarified that he is not a church member nor does he subscribe to Scientology beliefs.

“I think there’s a misconception that I am a Scientologist. I’m not a Scientologist. I don’t have any connection or affiliation with it," Beck told the Herald.  He went on to theorize that because his father — Canadian composer David Campbell — has long been a Scientologist, he was assumed to be one, as well.

"But I’ve pretty much just focused on my music and my work for most of my life, and tended to do my own thing," he continued. "I think it’s just something people ran with.”
:shrug:

I think the catholic church is every bit as evil as Scientology; don't see anybody bashing Catholic singers. 

I don't think Beck is any more of a Scientologist than I am a Presbyterian.  It's the religion of his parents and how he was raised.   I don't think he's Tom Cruise about it.  
So he's glib, or not glib... I can't keep it straight.

Eta... Not very serious in bringing it up in the first place. But I was always a bit disappointed he was associated...as you say, not that all religion isn't weird and potentially wrong-doing in its own ways, but that one has a lot of weird.

So he's glib, or not glib... I can't keep it straight.

Eta... Not very serious in bringing it up in the first place. But I was always a bit disappointed he was associated...as you say, not that all religion isn't weird and potentially wrong-doing in its own ways, but that one has a lot of weird.
Yeah, I hear you.  I didn't like that revelation when I first heard it, but I think religion as a whole is pretty silly.  Granted, not all of them are as bizarre as Scientology, but they think they're doing the right thing, I think.  No different than others.  IMO.  

Adams being a rapey dickmitten is just a crappy character independent of religious beliefs.  Hated hearing that about him.

both really good musicians, tho.....

Yeah, I hear you.  I didn't like that revelation when I first heard it, but I think religion as a whole is pretty silly.  Granted, not all of them are as bizarre as Scientology, but they think they're doing the right thing, I think.  No different than others.  IMO.  

Adams being a rapey dickmitten is just a crappy character independent of religious beliefs.  Hated hearing that about him.

both really good musicians, tho.....
As you wrote in your pick, Beck really should be considered a modern master. The upbeat stuff is great, but sea change is one my favorite albums...just beautiful.

I've been sitting on an album by a group that had their own rapey business which isn't effecting my choice...might still take it.

Ben Gibbard's cover of Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque album is very good.

It may not meet your criteria but Bandwagonesque is a big pop record in my book. 

Rd 13 Hummingbird by Local Natives (2013)

genre: indie rock

With Hummingbird, Local Natives have made a thoughtful, lovely album with small gestures that provide great rewards.  -Pitchfork

it’s clear that the Los Angeles harmonizers are no longer brazenly jumping off the deep end together. This album is full of sober surrender. - Consequence of Sound

Colombia

Black Balloons

Wooly Mammoth

Amazon music has service tiers.  Their "Unlimited" product is most comparable to Spotify in terms of library size but it has a monthly charge over and above Prime.  "Prime Music" comes with Prime (duh) and has a more limited number of songs.

I used Prime Music on my Echo until I could figure out how to change the default music app.  It was OK but didn't offer a very deep selection.  I actually use my smart speakers more to listen to radio (BBC6, KEXP, etc.) than Spotify or Amazon Music.  Alexa and her Google equivalent usually frustrate me when I'm asking for a particular album or song.
I have unlimited Amazon music and don’t have any trouble finding what I want to hear.   I’m probably not using it to it’s potential.   

Rd 12 - The Roots - How I Got Over (2010)

One of the best bands of the 2000s puts out another great album to open the decade. This after taking the job as Jimmy Fallon’s house band so still a surprise despite their consistent track record. It helps that Black Thought keeps getting better with age and they got great guest spots.

The Fire ft John Legend

Right On ft Joanna Newsom

How I Got Over

Adams finished the 10s with seven albums after releasing ten official albums in the previous decade plus a few bootlegs.

His 1984 EP would qualify as an album by DID rules because it manages to pack ten songs into a twelve minute 7" single.  It's his tribute to SST hardcore from the 80s.  The songs are all Minutemen length but they sound more like Husker Du.  It's an inspired gag and a pretty good listen.

Rats In the Wall

St. Paul and the Broken Bones reacted to this​
So did a band I'll likely wind up selecting in the draft. 

As for keeping with the other part of the thread, R. Adams is someone I've always consciously avoided. It's weird. I don't, at heart, get singer/songwriters. It's how I'm wired. So count me among those not worried about where the artist stands with awfulness; I think anyone who grabs a guitar and starts out with no compadres is always subject to egoism outside of the folk genre, that is. It never surprises me to hear lothario stories, suicide, and abuse stories to come out of that camp. That's my two cents.

As for keeping with the other part of the thread, R. Adam's is someone I've always consciously avoided. It's weird. I don't, at heart, get singer/songwriters. It's how I'm wired. So count me among those not worried about where the artist stands with awfulness; I think anyone who grabs a guitar and starts out with no compadres is always subject to egoism outside of the folk genre, that is. It never surprises me to hear lothario stories, suicide, and abuse stories to come out of that camp. That's my two cents.
He started out in a band though, Whiskeytown, before going solo.

Oh, okay. I was unaware. Still wonder about the impetus for releasing stuff consciously solo all the time. That he was willing to be in a band with band dynamics still undercuts my point a bit, so thanks for the information. Did not know that.

As for keeping with the other part of the thread, R. Adam's is someone I've always consciously avoided. It's weird. I don't, at heart, get singer/songwriters. It's how I'm wired. So count me among those not worried about where the artist stands with awfulness; I think anyone who grabs a guitar and starts out with no compadres is always subject to egoism outside of the folk genre, that is. It never surprises me to hear lothario stories, suicide, and abuse stories to come out of that camp. That's my two cents.
He always had a solo artist-sized ego though

He always had a solo artist-sized ego though
Suck cockamamie, this half-baked action theory. ;)

eta* I took that as a funny jab, hence the response. If you were serious, I certainly didn't mean to laugh emoji you...I'm in agreement. 

rockaction said:

Slap it low.

General Malaise said:
Out of curiosity, how many of the drafted artists are NOT on our Spotify list?  I'll have to seek them out on my own.  

Only two so far, I don't recall what two though...

Two picks today are from a couple of my all time faves, still making great music

Elvis Costello - Look Now - 2018

For me this was Elvis best album in 25 years and a return to form from a previous era, great to see he still had it in him... although he was still doing great musical things, this record struck me as a throwback to his classic records like Imperial Bedroom...

Don't Look Now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCFFHaDFGk

Unwanted Number - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4x02kEDN5A

Mr. And Mrs. Hush - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMP-Xr62RM

Stripping Paper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWckSvZC94

Richard Thompson - 13 Rivers - 2018

Not his all time best, but with a catalog as rich as his, this is yet another solid release, with some memorable tracks, one of the all time greats and one of my all time favorite artists

The Storm Won't Come - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2a3WliLA4

The Rattle Within - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkLlJcj7S7Q

The Bones of Gilead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhjON_ZCO5M

And for those not familiar with Richard, this is his masterwork

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5V0RkCIaXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKTzwaEa2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5OIxSjj9e4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td2sewfxz88

I think we pick two today, so I'll go with a couple of local bands.

15.xx Shovels and Rope - O Be Joyful (2012)

Birmingham

Hail Hail

Cavalier
This was going to be one of my picks today! I think we do pick two. I am leaving town later on today, and will be gone until Sunday. I am not sure if Eephus wants me to make 6 picks today or make up four on Sunday.

This was going to be one of my picks today! I think we do pick two. I am leaving town later on today, and will be gone until Sunday. I am not sure if Eephus wants me to make 6 picks today or make up four on Sunday.
I think he said you can. I'm fine with that. We're probably all trying to narrow down lists anyway.

General Malaise said:
Another one I'm surprised is still around considering the adoration it had at The Hoof (among other areas - Pitchfork really liked this one)....

14.06 Michael Cronin - MCII - 2013

Ty Segall seems to get more accolades and attention, but for my money, I'll take Segall colaborator Michael Cronin and consider MCII a modest masterpiece of garage rock.  Nothing overly complex to it, but it's melodic and catchy and deserves a spot in this draft.  Here's the highlights for me:

See It My Way

Shout It Out

Weight
Great pick.  This was under consideration for me.  Love it.

Round 15

Album: Handwritten

Artist: The Gaslight Anthem

Release Year: 2012

Mulholland Drive

Howl

You Got Lucky

A New Jersey based band that Springsteen took under his wing for a while letting them open for him in Europe and joining them onstage during their set and brining Brian Fallon out during his set. This is pure garage band rock and roll with an edgy sound. While they rock hard they've release some acoustic stuff as well that sounds real good. This was their second to last record before they went on hiatus, possibly for good. Fallon has released two solo records that are real good as well but this is the one I go back to the most.

Round 16

Album: All the Things That I Did and All the Things That I Didn't Do

Artist: The Milk Carton Kids

Release Year: 2018

Mourning in America

Nothing Is Real

You Break My Heart

An indie folk rock duo from California they have an old-time feel that's soothing and beautiful. This was their first record that features other musicians than just the two playing their acoustic guitars and it works well and adds some variety.

15.12 - El-P - Cancer 4 Cure - 2012

Solo effort from Run The Jewels member before Run The Jewels released a thing. This is the culmination of a long, underground solo career. It's probably my favorite second rap album of the decade. The utter sickness of Drones Over BKLYN and Stay Down redefine beat seeking heat reeking genius. The choruses hit like @urbanhack's bombs. I mention urbanhack because he's probably totally down with the cannabis-laden elctro stuff El-P is laying down on this and other tracks.

"Cancer 4 Cure's closest analogue may be Portishead's Third: the textures and tones are distinctly different from past releases, but it's unimaginable that it could be made by anyone else. El-P has described the record as fight music abstracted. To be more specific, it's fight or flight music. Primal response mechanism rap...It's a record from El-P, a man who could make Pollyanna see poltergeists. But to balance out the hangman's tension, there's "Drones Over BKLYN" and "The Full #######", two clavicle-cracking rants reminiscent of the old El-P, with rhymes "short and fat like Joe Pesci" that would "slap you out of your ####### ####."" - Pitchfork Media

Drones Over BKLYN (live)

The Full #######

Get Down

Users who are viewing this thread