What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s said:
Rd 15 Sunbather by Deafheaven (2013)

genre: blackgaze, post metal

it has the ability to capture the attention of people who don't normally listen to heavy music. - Pitchfork 

Deafheaven’s music isn’t about making things as heavy as possible. Instead, its approach is akin to a painter-understanding that much of art’s beauty lies in the blank space on the canvas that makes the flashes of color that much more awe-inspiring. -A.V. Club

Dream House

Sunbather

The Pecan Tree
I have to be in the right mood for the vocals, but love love love this when I am. Musically hits all the spots for me...when the vocals mood strikes.

Screw it, I'll just take this one next. There's a fine line to be walked in making a big mainstream rock album that gets major radio airplay, still rocks very hard and doesn't represent a band selling their soul to sound like what's current or changing who they are. This one and particularly the two main singles nail it.

15.11 - Foals - What Went Down (2016)

What Went Down (live at Wayhome) <- definitely my most replayed Youtube video, I was standing just to the right of this guy. I've told this before but I lost my sandals and maybe my sunglasses? in the madness you see in that video and some kind gentleman scooped them up for me and tracked me down and gave them to me when the set was finished.

Mountain at My Gates

Albatross
Dammit.

Something about them strikes me as bloated and self important in all the worst u2 ways....but this a great album that I was taking soon.

Round 17

Album: The King Is Dead

Artist: The Decemberists

Release Year: 2011

Calamity Song

January Hymn

Down By the Water

Speaking of R.E.M. these guys kind of remind me of them with their jangly guitars, countryesque indie sound and quirky poetic lyrics. Their fans likely consider their earlier records their peak, but this one would be my choice even without the decade constraint. 
You could have told me this was from the mid-00s and I wouldn't have blinked.

@rockaction Damn what a Damn steal 
Round 17 is a free fall worse the Rodgers in the green room. I actually played draftnik on this album. I was waiting on the run on his early stuff and then I just thought that I had to have the King on the island. Guy calls himself the King of New York and he's encountered little resistance to the claim. It says something about 

1. How rap distribution and plays and clicks have changed
  2. The dynamic of East Coast/West Coast and its importance
  3. The lack of NYC emcees in general; at first blush and not knowing the game, they seem to be female, actually 
  4. Most importantly, his prodigious talent

Round 17

Album: The King Is Dead

Artist: The Decemberists

Release Year: 2011

Calamity Song

January Hymn

Down By the Water

Speaking of R.E.M. these guys kind of remind me of them with their jangly guitars, countryesque indie sound and quirky poetic lyrics. Their fans likely consider their earlier records their peak, but this one would be my choice even without the decade constraint. 
Great choice!  Kinda forgot about these guys, but there was a spell where they got heavy play in our house. 

What Went Down (live at Wayhome) <- definitely my most replayed Youtube video, I was standing just to the right of this guy. I've told this before but I lost my sandals and maybe my sunglasses? in the madness you see in that video and some kind gentleman scooped them up for me and tracked me down and gave them to me when the set was finished.
Did you by any chance lose your sandals during this one?

Dr. Octopus said:
I was listening to Life's Rich Pageant on my way into work thinking that these guys became an "afterthought" rather quickly - meaning they've become overlooked in a historical sense. I remember reading articles calling them the greatest American band of all-time during their heyday but now it's almost as if they never even existed to some extent.  
Stipe has released a couple of songs in the past few months.  Both are kind of meh but it's good to have the weirdo singing again.

I try to give a spin to Peter Buck's many side projects.  He always sounds like he's having a good time but most of the music is immediately forgettable

Screw it, I'll just take this one next. There's a fine line to be walked in making a big mainstream rock album that gets major radio airplay, still rocks very hard and doesn't represent a band selling their soul to sound like what's current or changing who they are. This one and particularly the two main singles nail it.

Mountain at My Gates

Albatross
another great pick, forgot about them too, this is a terrific album...

Rd 16 Piñata by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib (2014)

genre: rap, hip-hop

It doesn't matter if Gibbs and Madlib were once considered artists playing to different audiences -- united in their uncompromising, independent-as-#### visions, they put together something hardcore hip-hop heads on both sides should feel. - Pitchfork

The only complaint, surely, is that the duo dropped the original title: Cocaine Piñata - NME

Pinata

High

Bomb

I'm a big Brandi fan, and was happy to have caught her September show at MSG with my Wife and 3 daughters, something I had told her I would do at some point when I met her after at a concert when she was still playing much smaller places a decade+ ago.. I've followed her career from the get go in 2005 with her debut, although this is not my favorite record of hers (her 2005 Debut and the 2007 The Story), she still delivers her next level vocals and is an underrated songwriter, happy to see her make it it big after 15 years... I'm not really a grammy person, but this was nominated for a bunch of stuff and she won 3 for this record including best Americana record but lost out on Record of the year to a record that is still available...

Brandi Carlile - By The Way, I Forgive You - 2018

The Joke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6A2NexF88

Every Time I hear that Song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCSW2ICJjQ

Sugartooth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pgteOYP2k

I might beat the band on the post tonight, if Simey can jump ahead 6 rounds in an hour, why can't I post a bit early? 

There are still a couple albums that I wasn't planning on drafting (DAMN) but are incredibly still out there. I am not sure what to do  with my last few picks. Value or the odd picks I had in mind?

A couple garage rock revival acts that did not survive the 10s:

Rd 14 - Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be (2010)

Reverb-heavy girl group-inspired act that had a following here at the beginning of the decade (I discovered them through recs here)

Rd 15 - Royal Headache - Royal Headache (2012)

Reverb-heavy Faces-inspired act. Lead singer has some pipes.

Will add links later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated the Spreadsheet. Some confusion with rounds abound. Here's best I can suss out.

@Abrantes- Missing from round 11-18
@D_House, @El Floppo= Missing from round 16-18
@General Malaise @KarmaPolice@Northern Voice@Ilov80s@Steve Tasker - Missing from Round 17-18
@landrys hat - Missing from round 18 (The Rounds have been confused here)

Check the sheet and let me know if I have made any errors. I know some of the formatting in the cells is off, and I tried to readjust them.
Thanks for keeping on top of things. I'll make my picks today, heading to Toronto for the weekend later on for a little getaway with the wife. Christmas present for the two of us in lieu of 'stuff' this year - hopefully full of craft beer bars for me and vegan restaurants for her :wub:

Round 19 - La Dispute - Wildlife - 2012

A screamo album for the more emotive, La Dispute's Wildlife tackles the issues of an aging Rust Belt town putting its decline to poetry as seen through the eyes of their lead singer, Jordan Dreyer. Tackling issues from abandoned churches, people leaving, youth discarded or lamented, sex, mental illness, and media reportage of Afro-American violence as seen through a distant yet omnipresent narrator's ears and eyes, the album isn't afraid to tackle the personal nor the sociopolitical as personal. Just a remarkable album. Heavy screaming abounds. Easily one of the best punk/hardcore albums of the aughts, and listed in decade enders everywhere for punk/HC. If one ever wondered whether one was alone, herein we find dilapidated buildings as a metaphor for a loss of self or soul and one can consider these lyrics, from the first song and link about an overgrown parking lot and decay of a church on Easter: 

And just the other day I swear I saw a man there
Pulling weeds out of the concrete, sweeping up and patching cracks
I saw him lift a rag to wash the years of filth from off those windows
Made me wonder if there’s anyone like that for you and me and
Anybody else who broke and lost hope

St. Paul Baptist Missionary Baptist Church Blues

Safer In The Forest/Love Song For Poor Michigan

Edward Benz, 27 Times (Live - BEST RECORDING)

King Park

And I haven't heard from Flop, so...

Round 20 - Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel - 2019

This needs to be on an island somewhere. Five Irish guys come out of nowhere to put out a stunning rock record in 2019. Indeed, the young men in Fontaines D.C. contemplated a great album that would chronicle the modern city of Dublin like Joyce did in Ulysses. They set out to make a grand, earnest recording of contemporary life through rock n' roll, and have, in this age of cynicism and irony, done so. Trying to keep pace with the growth of Dublin regarding everything from the social to the political -- both domestic and international in the wake of liberalization of their social politics to international Brexit angst -- they pen gem after gem.  It's all-encompassing at times. Everything is there, from the post-punk (though not in the true sense, it's really rock) vibe to the stunning lyrics, often like this.

Dublin in the rain is mine
A pregnant city with a catholic mind
Slick little boy with a mind of Ritz
Pulling that thread for the next big fix, this

My childhood was small
But I'm gonna be big

or, about a cabbie during a political conversation

Spits out Brits out only smokes Carrolls

And so it goes, track after tack, not-so-obvious in observation, yet always wit with witness.

I think I got a great steal with this one, too.

Big

Too Real

Liberty Belle

P.S. Did I mention their next record is said to be Beach Boys-inspired in both harmony and tightness? Per the band's own admission (lofty goal stating).

*swoon*

FIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Dublin in the rain is mine

A pregnant city with a catholic mind
Slick little boy with a mind of Ritz
Pulling that thread for the next big fix, this

My childhood was small
But I'm gonna be big
Yeah this song is ridiculously good. I haven't actually listened to the full album yet but I will correct that. 

Rd 17 Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery by The Comet is Coming (2019)

genre: nu jazz, some crazy #### 

The cosmically minded group featuring rising jazz saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings dances to the apocalypse and pleads for humanity. - Pitchfork

Sun Ra and Alice Coltrane become accelerating vectors , fast-forwarding jazz to new worlds on the new Comet is Coming album. But Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery could appeal just as well to clubbers, grime fans and football hooligans. - The Quietus

Summon the Fire

Birth of Creation

Blood of the Past

I decided last minute to jump online for Pearl Jam tickets. 2000+ people ahead of me in the queue at the moment. I do not see myself getting tickets but then again, I'm nowhere near a diehard fan either, I just think it'd be a good show. 

Users who are viewing this thread