What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (2 Viewers)

Rd 18 Random Access Memories by Daft Punk (2013)

genre: disco, funk, electronic

There's a creeping notion that every musical idea that's ever been so much as thought up is on this album. - NME

If EDM is turning humans into robots, Daft Punk are working hard to make robot pop feel human again - EW

Instant Crush

Giorgo by Moroder

Get Lucky
I was looking at this last night, and was really surprised it hadn't been taken yet.  

Updated the Spreadsheet. Some confusion with rounds abound. Here's best I can suss out.

@Abrantes- Missing from round 11-18
@D_House, @El Floppo= Missing from round 16-18
@General Malaise @KarmaPolice@Northern Voice@Ilov80s@Steve Tasker - Missing from Round 17-18
@landrys hat - Missing from round 18 (The Rounds have been confused here)

Check the sheet and let me know if I have made any errors. I know some of the formatting in the cells is off, and I tried to readjust them.
Thanks Rock....I know I'm tardy on picks, but last two days have been grueling.  Also combing through old files and whatnot to see what I might be missing.  Will get 17-18 in today at the very least.  

17.06 - Heartless Bastards - Arrow - 2012

A very overlooked and, in my opinion, underrated band from Cincinnati, OH.  Fronted by Erika Wennerstrom who can be equal parts sultry and subdued before she begins to belt out the lyrics like she's trying to hit the back end of the auditorium and wants you to feel what she's singing deep into your core.  I like their earlier work better, but I'm good with this one too and would offer up the following track as evidence that this band is here to rock and rock hard.

Parted Ways

Thanks Rock....I know I'm tardy on picks, but last two days have been grueling.  Also combing through old files and whatnot to see what I might be missing.  Will get 17-18 in today at the very least.  
Hey, GM. No worries on this end or likely others' ends, if my speak for them. I posted that as a public service rather than getting scoldy. Nobody is missing out because of you, which is why we go to one and two-a-days. I hope the days haven't been too grueling -- best to you. No need to strain over this, GB. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
18.06 Wavves - Afraid of Heights - 2013

I might be overdoing it with the surfer rock, but I got a lot of joy from this album when it came out and I feel like this one might have been overlooked.  At the very least, I'll look forward to it coming on our Spotify playlist and some of you might as well.  If you liked grunge, you'll probably like this.  If not, well, skip ahead.

Afraid of Heights

Demon to Lean On

Beat Me Up

Hey, GM. No worries on this end or likely others' ends, if my speak for them. I posted that as a public service rather than getting scoldy. Nobody is missing out because of you, which is why we go to one and two-a-days. I hope the days haven't been to grueling -- best to you. No need to strain over this, GB. Peace.
All good, friend.  Wasn't taking it scoldy at all, just a helpful post to show where we are and what we need.  Fog lifting here, should be good to go for my final two picks.  Having fun going through an old folder on our server called "Muzak" where I illegally downloaded dozens and dozens of albums before the laws tightened and piracy became more challenging.  I thought the misspelling of the word "music" would keep Johnny Q Law off my trail. :lmao:

17.06 - Heartless Bastards - Arrow - 2012

A very overlooked and, in my opinion, underrated band from Cincinnati, OH.  Fronted by Erika Wennerstrom who can be equal parts sultry and subdued before she begins to belt out the lyrics like she's trying to hit the back end of the auditorium and wants you to feel what she's singing deep into your core.  I like their earlier work better, but I'm good with this one too and would offer up the following track as evidence that this band is here to rock and rock hard.

Parted Ways
This was on my list. 

Also, regarding their pre 2010 work, Hold Your Head High (on The Mountain - 2008) is my favorite. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/4P0t7sFzSPlnlioJG6CNwK?si=ugLMowWmRjuZrhIbAwILLw

You guys finish this today? I have spent hours here. So many my amp overheated at 3am. So as I have in other drafts I missed, I started a list. At first I thought it would be difficult with so much taken. It isn't. Just digging through my histories, muich of what I would take to my island hasn't been sniped. Over 40 in no time at all. I would like to post and write a little I think. We live in an era of such over over over saturation of music, and I am such a weirdo that it will be easy if I make the time.

last one, pick 20.. gonna end it with one of my favorite new artists, a terrific debut

Maggie Rogers ‎– Heard It In A Past Life - 2019

Alaska - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWsW6c6t8g

Give A Little - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXAMuhIe7Y

Light On - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFjYe54uv4

This Draft has been a blast, will be digging into this playlist for a long time since I only know about 50% of these DID selections... well over 3K songs to sift through!  It's been an honor and a privilege to draft with you all..

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4E0YiZpk10qsQZRggGCyer?si=VQ5Bzb_aTpiWtSZDu58QHg

Round 19

Album: Lonesome as a Shadow

Artist: Charley Crockett

Release Year: 2018

Lil' Girl's Name

I Wanna Cry

Goin' Back to Texas

A country blues artist from Texas, Crockett is a distant relative of Davey Crockett. Some of his catalogue are old blues and country covers but this record consists of all originals. He sings with a slight lisp but still sounds soulful.

His last release before his tragic death shows his range musically and vocally. Very haunting and inspiring at the same time.
Nice. Not on my list but should have been. And you Dr. Oct... have my most disappointing missing piece. Rd 9. My most listened to album of the last year. Saw him do it at the Troubadour shortly after release. Awesome. I would have taken it #1 overall.

Rd 19 Bedouine by Bedouine (2017)

genre: folk, singer-songwriter

The soulful debut from Syrian-born Azniv Korkejian showcases the depth of her songwriting and uses Spacebomb’s retro sound to create an exquisite, subtle, and wide-eyed collection of songs. - Pitchfork

Bedouine is from another time when Patsy Cline and June Carter were America’s music icons and Tom Waits was the songwriter everyone wanted to emulate. Like these legends, Korkejian seduces the listener with her soothing, honeyed vocals, simple arrangements, and tales told straight from the heart. - TheRevue

Dusty Eyes

One of These Days

Nice and Quiet

If I don't start, I won't do this . So here's one I am 99% sure nobody is taking.  It's noodling interpretations of Sinatra standards. I think it's a great listen. Jazzy and soulful. It's nice to know the words. Nostalgic gold mining to bring some updated history to the island. 

1.Ben L'Oncle Soul ‎– 2016 Under My Skin

Spotify Album

The most popular and title track is my favorite. That's a very close call with The Way You Look Tonight but folks older than me always hear something else that hits them. He did something good here. I've had fun arguing it's better than Frank. Enjoy Uncle Ben... or not. 

Under My Skin

The Way You Look Tonight

I'm going to bank this ##### the #### out...HARD COUNT

Run the Jewels is the answer. The question? What's poppin?!

If I don't start, I won't do this . So here's one I am 99% sure nobody is taking.  It's noodling interpretations of Sinatra standards. I think it's a great listen. Jazzy and soulful. It's nice to know the words. Nostalgic gold mining to bring some updated history to the island. 

1.Ben L'Oncle Soul ‎– 2016 Under My Skin

Spotify Album

The most popular and title track is my favorite. That's a very close call with The Way You Look Tonight but folks older than me always hear something else that hits them. He did something good here. I've had fun arguing it's better than Frank. Enjoy Uncle Ben... or not. 

Under My Skin

The Way You Look Tonight
I honestly don't know if you should wait, but I always dig your tastes and lists, CC. Interested to hear what you have to say. 

I honestly don't know if you should wait, but I always dig your tastes and lists, CC. Interested to hear what you have to say. 
Thanks. I will stop even though I am sure five or eight would not be taken. I can write a little more on word, post later. I will be too busy most of this weekend soo.

Tool is about as heavy as I want to get these days and to be honest, I wasn't even going to bother with their new album until our Spotify playlist split them out.  I was shopping for groceries at 8am this morning when one of their new songs came on and I was immediately reminded at how incredible Carey is behind the drums.  

If I'm being honest, most of my "skips" thus far have been heavy metal songs.  Just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  
@General Malaise:

I won't bother with the rest then if you don't do the metal.  However, I will give you a link to one of my obsessions of the last year.   Since Tool is notorious for not being too accessible for live stuff, etc..  I stumbled across a guy that does drum covers and he did a bunch of Tool stuff.  No, it's not Danny, but he is damn good, the sound is great, and it just shows you up close how ####in good the drumming is for this band....

Rosetta Stoned    The last 1/2 of this song always blows me away, and the fact he has the balls to start doing stick flips at the end....

Ticks and Leeches

The Pot

How did tame impala not go in the first three rounds
too tame for my race

On my end, I had Lorde, Run The Jewels, and Kanye.

Hmmm...

I'll recalibrate. Just for you. 

You: still a guy that criticizes drafts and people that pick Taylor Swift (that was me that year)

Me: Jeopardy

I'm a New Yorker and I'm ####ed from the jump
Wear my Yankee so tilted I actually walk with a hump

There was no disc for the following artist that toured with RTJ back in the decade, but a song in 2015

House Made Of Bricks

Posting links on mobile still is a hassle so going to finish out my picks then add links for rounds 14-20 once I get to a desktop. Theme for these three is that they are all NY-based acts.

Rd 16 - The Men - Open Your Heart (2012)

Brooklyn-based protopunk with some Americana flourishes.

Rd 17 - Action Bronson - Dr. Lecter (2011)

Albanian-American former chef-turned rapper’s debut.

Rd 18 - Public Access Television (2016)

Now-defunct NYC guitar rock band with a new wave sound. According to their wiki page they made their TV debut on Action Bronson’s VICE TV show.

17.xx - Civil Civic - The Test (2016)

Another album with no Wiki link.  All-instrumental spacey post-rock sound with a little tinge of new wave with the synth.  A guitarist, a bassist, and a drum machine.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Civil Civic are an instrumental post-punk/electronic rock band consisting of two Australian musicians,[1] Aaron Cupples (guitar, synth) and Benjamin Green (bass, synth), formed in 2009.[2] Aaron currently resides in London, UK, and Benjamin lives in Barcelona, Spain.[1][3] They employ a drum machine which is referred to as the third member of the band and is called 'The Box'.[4] Their sound has been compared with bands such as Gang Of Four, The Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, The Smiths, Sonic Youth and Joy Division.[5][6][7] Their live shows have been described as "a perfectly synchronised mesh of electro pop and cheek-vibrating space noise"[8] with a "stage presence and lust for playing that exhilarates in the extreme".[9]
"The Gift"

"The Mirror"

"The Hunt"

"The Slide"

18.xx - St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (2011)

They could take or leave you
So they took you
Then they left you

Well, while I've found her more recent releases to be a little lacking, it's more because she set such a high bar for herself in my book with her first 3 LPs rather than her music getting worse.  As what the kids would call an "OG Annie Clark stan", I'll carry the torch and make sure she makes an appearance in this list.

Make no mistake, this album is phenomenal, and I probably should've picked it about 15 rounds ago.  It's where I think she really firmly established her sound.  Marry Me was an offbeat folk pop album.  Actor was a bit wilder, angrier guitar-driven noise pop album.  Strange Mercy is where she settled into her unique yet somewhat bizarre sound that she's known for today.  9 years on, this album has spawned some of her biggest deep cut live cult hits, in songs like "Northern Lights" (which usually ends with a face-melting seizure-inducing wall of noise and flashing lights) and "Dilettante".

"Northern Lights" (Live)

"Dilettante" (Live)

"Cruel"

"Strange Mercy"

I just heard "Sweet Trap" from 2011 and really like it. Is the 2017 album anything like Mogwai's Rave Tapes, in which the band doesn't go for the glory at the end but stays stuck in mid tempo?  I know post rock was stopping the audience payoff as art in the teens, I've just never heard Civil Civic before so can't comment intelligently.  
I'll be honest, Mogwai is one of "those bands" that I've never really been able to get fully into.  I don't think I can answer this question intelligently either.

I'll be honest, Mogwai is one of "those bands" that I've never really been able to get fully into.  I don't think I can answer this question intelligently either.
Cool. I'm just taking a sort of theory and seeing if it holds. From 2008- the critics sort of chided post-rock for its loud-soft dynamic and sweeping instrumental crescendos. They began to praise more cinematic, score-worthy endeavors rather than stand alone pop songs. That was the gist I got, anyway. Just seeing maybe if it held here. 

/cue Undertaker sitting up in his coffin

:lmao:  Holy crap, y'all are done. Don't have the list ready to make all my remaining picks, but here are a couple. Both FKA and Paak have been picked before, and I avoided repeats, but both are fantastic. I picked "Wanna Come Down" from Doko Mien in the last draft I was in, but I'll go with the full album here. Sorry for a lack of full write-ups, draft got away from me.

11.x FKA twigs, MAGDALENE (2019)

12.x Anderson .Paak, Ventura (2019)

13.x Ibibio Sound Machine, Doko Mien (2019)

19.ee - The Bad Plus - The Rite of Spring  (2014) 

Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps is one of the landmarks of 20th Century music.  This interpretation is from the jazz trio The Bad Plus. 

Most classical/jazz hybrids use the theme and changes from the classical piece as a platform for improvisation.  The Bad Plus sticks much closer to Stravinsky's score.  It's impossible for a piano trio to capture the musical colors of an orchestra but they still manage to sound huge.  There are some relatively unobtrusive electronic atmospherics but mostly it's just the three of them.  I think the drummer really sets their version apart.  The Rite of Spring was dance music after all and he makes it pulsate.

First Part: Adoration of the Earth: Introduction

First Part: Adoration of the Earth: Spring Rounds

Second Part: The Sacrifice: Sacrificial Dance

Spreadsheet updated to here.  Remaining picks.

14    .    1        Abrantes
15    .    1    ---    Abrantes
15    .    5    ---    El Floppo
16    .    1        Abrantes
16    .    5    ---    El Floppo
17    .    1    ---    Abrantes
17    .    2    ---    D_House
17    .    5    ---    El Floppo
17    .    8    ---    KarmaPolice
17    .    11    ---    Northern Voice
18    .    1        Abrantes
18    .    5    ---    El Floppo