What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

I re-listened to the OF Tape volume 2 but couldn't pick it.  It's still a fun listen but man, it's all over the place. 
Yeah, I like the more fleshed-out versions of their personalities on their later solo stuff. Tyler picking up a Grammy is funny. I could not get into that album during the first listen or two. Perhaps both OF Tape Vol. 2 and IGOR deserve another listen.

Listening to OF as we speak. 

There are some bands in my wheelhouse I hadn't heard...will need to cycle through again to remember the names, but that's been fun.

Anderson paak I know, but have been really digging (have him playlisted, but never really dived into his albums).

Asgeir reminds me of somebody in a big way...band of horses maybe... And I'm pretty consistently liking it when the songs pip up.

And I realized with this draft that I started Spotify in 2011, but didn't really use it for new music for a good year or two- just playlisted songs and bands I already knew but didn't have digitally. So lots of 80s stuff I have on vinyl only.

As such, there's a big hole in my new music knowledge from thaoe first few years...been great hearing all this stuff.

The playlist has been a good listen.  There have been some new artists I've discovered but moreso, it's been bands I listened to a few times years ago and promptly forgot about.  In the old days of physical media and the not quite as old days of MP3 players, I'd be reminded of stuff I liked previously while digging through the crates or scrolling through a menu.  Streaming services have a short memory; they'll prompt you to re-listen to stuff you've heard recently but not stuff from years before.

Anderson .Paak    ---    Malibu    ---    2016

Cloud Nothings    ---    Attack on Memory    ---    2012
Laura Marling    ---    Once I Was an Eagle    ---    2013
David Bowie    ---    ★ Blackstar    ---    2016
Divine Fits    ---    A Thing Called Divine Fits    ---    2012
Strand of Oaks    ---    Eraserland    ---    2019
Solange    ---    A Seat at the Table    ---    2016
FFS    ---    FFS    ---    2015
Max Richter/Antonio Vivaldi    ---    Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons     ---    2014
Robert Plant    ---    lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar    ---    2014
Django Django    ---    Django Django    ---    2012
Natalie Prass    ---    The  and the Past    ---    2018
Various Artists    ---    Day of the Dead    ---    2016
The 1975    ---    I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It    ---    2016
R.E.M.     ---    Collapse Into Now  --- 2015
The Internet  ---  Ego Death     ---    2016
**** DIver     ---    Calendar Days     ---    2013
Protomartyr     ---    The Agent Intellect     ---    2015
The Bad Plus    ---    The Rite of Spring    ---    2014
D'Angelo    ---    Black Messiah    ---    2014

I'm probably the oldest drafter so it's only fitting I have the oldest artists on my island as well.  Bowie, Plant, Sparks and REM are all boomers.  If you include the Grateful Dead, the 138 year old Igor Stravinsky and the 342 year old Antonio Vivaldi, it's really no contest. 

I always surprise myself in decade drafts.  In the weeks from the first long list to the final 20, I was reminded of albums that I gave AOTY points to but haven't listened to a lot since.  Rediscovering the Robert Plant record was a particularly pleasant reunion.  The final selections mostly stick to a solid mid-tempo groove.  Only Cloud Nothings and Protomartyr go heavy on the aggro.  Divine Fits have their moments too but it's not really a hard listen.  Other than those, the island is dominated by albums that I can listen to again and again.

Rap and UK post-punk are two genres that I managed to miss altogether.  Maybe it's a sign of my increasing years but I don't find a lot of current Rap that speaks to me over a full album length.  It's still good for a four or five minute burst though.  Like everybody else, I could have gone with a few dozen others but I won't bore you with the details.

All the albums that made the trip to my island are golden of course but the two albums I'd highlight that you probably haven't heard yet are the Day of the Dead tribute and the Four Seasons recomposition from Max Richter.  The Dead album has a few clunkers but there are so many cool covers by bands you know and love.  The Four Seasons is an interesting concept that's executed really well.

Pairing down Jazz failed, so I'll build a little piano bar on the sand with an outdoor deck to accomodate a sextet. I can sail to any of your islands for other music.

This is his first LP in 40 years. Blue Note selected the best live performances from a variety of venues. 
2013 Wayne Shorter - Quartet Without a Net
Plaza Real
Myrrh

5 time Grammy winner and Global Globe winner for a film score, Javier Sanchez dubbed himself Bad Hombre and released an angry one hour drum threat to Donald Trump. Also nominated for a Grammy. I call it thinking music. Sounds more like a film score, btw.
2017 Bad Hombre
9 Lives
Momentum

Bad Hombre is/was a member of Pat Methany's Unity Group which put out numerous options for the decade. Kin is the best of them (for me) and island worthy. Full imax surround for massive sound stage if you have it.
2014 Kin
Rise Up 
Sign of the Season

Don Cheadle finally got Miles Ahead made inspiring tons of tributes to the Prince of Darkness. My favorites are found within. Many get wonderfully kind of blue listening. 2nd favorite jazz of the 10s. 
2017 Vijay Iyer - Far From Over
Poles
Nope

Kind of Blue and some Steely Dan would go early for me in an all-time island draft. So I transition from jazz with some nostalgic jazzfusiony funkyyachtrocky. 
2012 Donald Fagan - Sunken Condos
I'm Not the Same Without You
Weather in my Head

It was the decade I lost my mom to the other side and my daughter to UCLA. Below, the first addresses losing a mom, softly, sweetly, a touch depressing. It's the easiest pick to toss in the ocean for something else, yet here it is. The next was inspired by the birth of a daughter, emo-tionally. Plenty of it's personalized.
2015 Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
Should Have Known Better

2017 Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface
Wait for it. What a way to close a show. Only mistake was forgetting to drop the mic.
The Silence 

Honorable Mention II - The Muffs - No Holiday (2019)

Posthumous album makes incredible swan song and marks farewell to the career, art, and life of Kim Shattuck.

That’s For Me

Earth Below Me

Pollyanna

You Talk And You Talk

Personal experience and write-up in the spoiler

I stood crestfallen outside of T.T. & The Bears. A fresh-faced twenty-one, I'd embarked upon a solo sojourn to Boston to go see The Muffs in concert. It was a venue of little repute and cachet, lacking the esteem of both regular culture and subculture. Just another club trying to open its doors and trying to make a buck. Anyway, that was me back in the day. No friends into the punk rock I was into (my friends were either into hardcore or alternative or pop/rap) so I had packed up and driven, ticket not in hand nor idea about where to go. But I, home from college for the summer and with a girlfriend in Australia, had piled myself in my beater to go see them. My favorite pop/punk band with the crunching bar chords and sugary rhythms. I invited my Mom. She thought for a moment and then declined. And so I drove. I got to the club, and like I said, "SOLD OUT" was plastered on the door. So I did what anybody my age with nothing to do would do. I started smoking and found the nearest alley to hold my back up. And then, as if by magic, an open door -- there was the band being interviewed by somebody with a fanzine. I couldn't help but look. The band looked back. The interview ended, and the band lingered. And Kim Shattuck, lead singer and guitarist/songwriter was looking at me, and I her. I mean, what else do you check out in an alley? And then my chance. A punk rock guest list spot to ask for. It was a dive club. It could have fit a body. But I was young and intimidated, like I was by so many things those days. To me, this was the world. The Muffs. Right in front of me. I damn near wore their t-shirt to the show. I didn't even muster the courage to offer to pay them for a spot on the list to make it above board and not grubbing for bucks. But it wasn’t to be. I, often paralyzed by shyness, just couldn’t bring myself to ask. And then the door swung closed, and they disappeared into the club, leaving me behind to think about what could have been but for bravery.

Speaking of bravery, there are other, more serious kinds of bravery. You don’t need me to tell you that. People are put in far more extenuating circumstances than I was and act with valor, confidence, and virtue. Whither the circumstances of which I speak? Well, war and terminal illness immediately come to mind. Consciously facing death while alive but knowing that any moment might be one’s last, the specter of mortality hanging immediately in the balance. That’s real bravery. Why that tangent? Well, Kim Shattuck – the Kim Shattuck I couldn’t raise a voice to – faced terminal illness and died of ALS this year after a two-year fight with the diagnosis. And this is Kim’s posthumous album. A document containing songs written from 1991-2017. The band cut this before her death. Her way of coping, it would seem. The album? It would be on my island if it stunk. But here’s the thing: it doesn’t. It’s a ridiculously good power pop album, one that deserves nothing but proper reviews, proper admiration of craft, and proper respect for a pop-punk/power pop stalwart. It’s awesome. It’s nowhere near morbid. Questioning? Possibly, but not overt. For nineteen songs, the only traces of mortality one can find here are cracks and pops in her voice, reassuring as a vinyl record, but then the realization hits. That raised voice of hers that could slip into the loveliest melody or harmony from a woman who shrieked and wailed and screamed accordingly, can be heard cracking, fading, and lagging just a bit. But that’s about the only lamentable aspect of the album. For nineteen songs, she’s still here, sitting and singing at the sky. And then, just like on a nondescript summer day in Boston, the door shuts and she’s gone.  

[/SPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite tunes that year and through the decade. Was this close to taking the album here...just so I could have that song.
I have a few like that. Disturbed for Sound of Silence. Social D for Alone and Forsaken. I love Mike's country covers, all of 'em. Kid named Jacob Lee for Demons

I thought my demons were nearly defeated, but you took their side and you set them to freedom

Unfortunately the rest of the albums are not for me or just weak.

eta... I'm the biggest Mike Ness homer here. Took him to lead my supergroup here, but the 2010 release is... not up to Social D. Also, I think that lyric above describes how I lost every argument to my ex-w. haha

My two ladies left me an empty nest so I stopped being a prig about explicit lyrics. When Mac Miller died, I checked his Tiny Desk to see what the fuss. Surprised it was in my  wheelhouse. For me rap this chill and well written is perfect. Sadly you can feel the fentanyl flowing. He high. 
2018 Mac Miller - Swimming
What's the Use

While wearing out Mac this was recommended. Rap this chill and well-written is perfect. Refer you to Pitchfork here.
2018 Cocoa Sugar - Young Fathers
See How

Rihanna comes with me wherever I go, so... yes, yes I did.
2016 Rihanna - Anti
Covering... no improving Tame Impala...
Same Ol' Mistakes

surely unsolicited, but here is my generally ranked top-20 albums of the decade:

ETA: the last line in the spoiler was not supposed to be in the spoiler, but I have no clue how to get it out of the spoiler now.  Nice board. 

Japandroids - Celebration Rock - 2012 (Celebration Rock was my clear cut #1 and is actually on my personal list of "perfect albums".  This one was drafted)

Jeff Rosenstock - Worry - 2016 (this one was drafted)

Jeff Rosenstock - POST - 2018 (yes, Jeff Rosenstock is #2 and #3... Worry is not on my perfect album list for some reason, I have to think it will be at some point. )

Black Keys - Brothers - 2010  (this one was drafted)

King Lizard and Gizzard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity - 2016 (A different KGaTLW album was drafted, but this one is my favorite by a long shot)

Pup - Morbid Stuff - 2019 (maybe a bit of recency bias having this one ranked so high, but if not for the closing track, it would be on my Perfect Albums list too.  This one was drafted)

Harley Poe - Lost and Losing it - 2017 (horror folk punk is a thing?  And I like it?  Go figure... but this album hit me at a time when I needed to be hit like that, and I played it to death and back - it was my #1 album of 2017)

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats - Tearing at the Seams - 2018 (I just find myself going back to this one a lot... even when the kids are around - this one may have been drafted)

Stone Foxes - Bears and Bulls - 2010 (this album got me back into music in a way that I had not been since the early 90s)

CZARFACE - Every Hero Needs a Villan - 2015 (new rap scares me, but I LOVE the way these guys do rap)

Direct Hit! - Wasted Mind - 2016 (Pop-punk banger with enough breakdowns to scratch my hardcore itch)

Menzingers - After the Party - 2017 (If you were to poll the universe of Menzingers fans on their best albums, my guess is this one would be #3... it's my favorite though)

Charly Bliss - Young Enough - 2019 (I did not know I could love something like this as much as I do... I had to recognize my recency bias to not rank this one higher.  If I were to revisit this list in a few years this one may be much higher - pretty sure their debut album was drafted here)

Rainbow Kitten Surprise - How to: Friend, Love, Freefall - 2018 (I feel like these guys were snubbed in this draft)

Beastie boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 - 2011 (RIP MCA and hi GBGM!

Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial - 2016 (this one was drafted)

The Decemberists - The King is Dead - 2011 (this one was drafted)

Mumford and Sons - Babel - 2012 (I can't believe this one was not drafted)

Royal Blood - Royal Blood - 2014 (this one was drafted)

Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter - 2016 (Her debut album, was this a snub?  Was her most recent album drafted?)
A bunch of my albums were drafted, I had a couple (a few?) bands with different albums drafted... and I picked 2 Jeff Rosenstock albums :bag:  

surely unsolicited, but here is my generally ranked top-20 albums of the decade:

ETA: the last line in the spoiler was not supposed to be in the spoiler, but I have no clue how to get it out of the spoiler now.  Nice board. 

Hide contents
Japandroids - Celebration Rock - 2012 (Celebration Rock was my clear cut #1 and is actually on my personal list of "perfect albums".  This one was drafted)
A bunch of my albums were drafted, I had a couple (a few?) bands with different albums drafted... and I picked 2 Jeff Rosenstock albums :bag:  
If I did a straight top 20 of the decade, I'd have Near to the Wild Heart of Life in it, as well as Celebration Rock, which I drafted. And I took 2 PUP albums too, so no big deal imo. 

Hide contents

Jeff Rosenstock - POST - 2018 (yes, Jeff Rosenstock is #2 and #3... Worry is not on my perfect album list for some reason, I have to think it will be at some point. )

King Lizard and Gizzard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity - 2016 (A different KGaTLW album was drafted, but this one is my favorite by a long shot)

Pup - Morbid Stuff - 2019 (maybe a bit of recency bias having this one ranked so high, but if not for the closing track, it would be on my Perfect Albums list too.  This one was drafted)

Harley Poe - Lost and Losing it - 2017 (horror folk punk is a thing?  And I like it?  Go figure... but this album hit me at a time when I needed to be hit like that, and I played it to death and back - it was my #1 album of 2017)

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats - Tearing at the Seams - 2018 (I just find myself going back to this one a lot... even when the kids are around - this one may have been drafted)

Stone Foxes - Bears and Bulls - 2010 (this album got me back into music in a way that I had not been since the early 90s)

CZARFACE - Every Hero Needs a Villan - 2015 (new rap scares me, but I LOVE the way these guys do rap)

Direct Hit! - Wasted Mind - 2016 (Pop-punk banger with enough breakdowns to scratch my hardcore itch)

Menzingers - After the Party - 2017 (If you were to poll the universe of Menzingers fans on their best albums, my guess is this one would be #3... it's my favorite though)

Charly Bliss - Young Enough - 2019 (I did not know I could love something like this as much as I do... I had to recognize my recency bias to not rank this one higher.  If I were to revisit this list in a few years this one may be much higher - pretty sure their debut album was drafted here)

Rainbow Kitten Surprise - How to: Friend, Love, Freefall - 2018 (I feel like these guys were snubbed in this draft)

Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter - 2016 (Her debut album, was this a snub?  Was her most recent album drafted?)
Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter was in my pool of albums under consideration but ended up missing the cut.

I like Mumford and Sons as well but somehow just became completely overlooked for me.

I was listening to Life's Rich Pageant on my way into work thinking that these guys became an "afterthought" rather quickly - meaning they've become overlooked in a historical sense. I remember reading articles calling them the greatest American band of all-time during their heyday but now it's almost as if they never even existed to some extent.  
In a historical sense, I consider REM to be the first US college rock band to make it successfully into the mainstream. They were the kings of college rock radio during the early to mid 80s, which is the only place you heard them with their first few albums. College rock is now considered indie or alternative rock. I still hear them a lot at tailgating events, get togethers, etc.  I'm of the age where REM was starting off, and so they were a main band for me during my late high school and college years. I still play them, and I have a spotify playlist that is all REM.  I hear them on mainstream radio often, except it is mostly songs from Document and after that. My favorite years of theirs is their early music on the IRS label, but I do love Automatic for the People, and I like Monster a lot. 

Reveal hidden contents

I drafted Tearing at the Seams. Of the ones on your list not drafted, I considered Margo Price, Mumford and Sons, and Rainbow Kitten Surprise (Seven + Mary).

Rainbow Kitten Surpise was in my long list of NC bands that I wanted to draft. I drafted two NC bands, but they could have easily been replaced by albums from this past decade by The Avett Brothers, Chatham County Line, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Mandolin Orange, Steep Canyon Rangers, Sparklehorse with Danger Mouse, Tift Merritt, and The Honeycutters.

Alright, with Jaysus and Chaos having mostly made their expansion draft picks, I'm going to chime in on some of my misses and albums I considered, a lot were from bands that were drafted in here, so I went a different direction to get more total bands represented.

:thumbup:

I gotta add to my shortlist, 'cause it's getting mighty tiny, but I'll stay on-brand for this one. Love their sound. "In Undertow" was easily one of my favorite songs of that year (and I can't knock those who put "Dreams Tonite" above it).

Also my second band going YOLO with how the letter "v" is supposed to work.

6.13 Alvvays, Antisocialites (2017)

In Undertow

Dreams Tonite

Not My Baby
Alvvays is easily one of my favourite bands of the 2010s, I'm not sure which album I would have selected, probably this one to be honest, but their self-titled one with 'Archie, Marry Me', 'Adult Diversion', 'Next of Kin', 'Atop a Cake', etc... is so damn good too. 

Assuming I can go (and I'm really rushing these but have given them thought) here's what I'm going with.

1.15  Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit

Now, my very favorite song of hers isn't even on this album - but because of this album, I discovered my favorite song of hers and it's this one:  Avant Gardner.  What I love about her is that she is so simple yet so brilliant.  I am a huge HUGE fan of artists who can self-deprecate and this kid does it about as well as anybody in the industry.  She comes across as modest and meek but boy howdy, would I hate to be on the wrong end of one of her songs.  "Pedestrian at Best" was what hooked me first.
I commented on this when it was picked, but I agree that Avant Gardener is probably the best Courtney Barnett song. "History Eraser" from the same EP is also great but not great value taking an EP or a double EP to a desert island is there. 

That said, even with this being drafted, I strongly considered Tell Me How You Really Feel, which is almost on par with Sometimes I Sit...imo. The peaks might not be as high and it fades a bit from the back, but the four song in the middle of 'City Looks Pretty' - 'Charity' - 'Need a Little Time' - 'Nameless, Faceless' has to be in the upper echelon of any such runs from the decade.

I'm regretting not doubling down with IDLES Joy as an act of resistance.
I think there was some board issues when you made this pick and it disappeared? I actually assumed this was the IDLES album you picked. It was the one on my list and I might have taken it as well, had I realized it was still on the board.

Obligatory 'Danny Nedelko' post. Also 'Never Fight a Man With a Perm', 'I'm Scum', etc...

I think there was some board issues when you made this pick and it disappeared? I actually assumed this was the IDLES album you picked. It was the one on my list and I might have taken it as well, had I realized it was still on the board.

Obligatory 'Danny Nedelko' post. Also 'Never Fight a Man With a Perm', 'I'm Scum', etc...
He took Brutalism. Awesome album. 

Brutalism has "Mother," "Well Done," "1049 Gotho," etc.

He took Brutalism. Awesome album. 

Brutalism has "Mother," "Well Done," "1049 Gotho," etc
I originally thought I'd take both, but then forgot. 

The problem is- once I hear one album, I'll want to hear the other.

Did any other parquet courts hey drafted? Wide awake is my obvious favorite for sentimental reasons, but I thought widely considered round here behind their other stuff.

Did any other parquet courts hey drafted? Wide awake is my obvious favorite for sentimental reasons, but I thought widely considered round here behind their other stuff.
I always draft by honorable ubernerd rules.  Once an artist is picked, he or she (or it) is off the board.

Anderson .Paak    ---    Malibu    ---    2016

Cloud Nothings    ---    Attack on Memory    ---    2012
Laura Marling    ---    Once I Was an Eagle    ---    2013
David Bowie    ---    ★ Blackstar    ---    2016
Divine Fits    ---    A Thing Called Divine Fits    ---    2012
Strand of Oaks    ---    Eraserland    ---    2019
Solange    ---    A Seat at the Table    ---    2016
FFS    ---    FFS    ---    2015
Max Richter/Antonio Vivaldi    ---    Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons     ---    2014
Robert Plant    ---    lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar    ---    2014
Django Django    ---    Django Django    ---    2012
Natalie Prass    ---    The  and the Past    ---    2018
Various Artists    ---    Day of the Dead    ---    2016
The 1975    ---    I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It    ---    2016
R.E.M.     ---    Collapse Into Now  --- 2015
The Internet  ---  Ego Death     ---    2016
**** DIver     ---    Calendar Days     ---    2013
Protomartyr     ---    The Agent Intellect     ---    2015
The Bad Plus    ---    The Rite of Spring    ---    2014
D'Angelo    ---    Black Messiah    ---    2014

I'm probably the oldest drafter so it's only fitting I have the oldest artists on my island as well.  Bowie, Plant, Sparks and REM are all boomers.  If you include the Grateful Dead, the 138 year old Igor Stravinsky and the 342 year old Antonio Vivaldi, it's really no contest. 

I always surprise myself in decade drafts.  In the weeks from the first long list to the final 20, I was reminded of albums that I gave AOTY points to but haven't listened to a lot since.  Rediscovering the Robert Plant record was a particularly pleasant reunion.  The final selections mostly stick to a solid mid-tempo groove.  Only Cloud Nothings and Protomartyr go heavy on the aggro.  Divine Fits have their moments too but it's not really a hard listen.  Other than those, the island is dominated by albums that I can listen to again and again.

Rap and UK post-punk are two genres that I managed to miss altogether.  Maybe it's a sign of my increasing years but I don't find a lot of current Rap that speaks to me over a full album length.  It's still good for a four or five minute burst though.  Like everybody else, I could have gone with a few dozen others but I won't bore you with the details.

All the albums that made the trip to my island are golden of course but the two albums I'd highlight that you probably haven't heard yet are the Day of the Dead tribute and the Four Seasons recomposition from Max Richter.  The Dead album has a few clunkers but there are so many cool covers by bands you know and love.  The Four Seasons is an interesting concept that's executed really well.
I green hearted a Day of the Dead song this morning on the train.  Beautiful song on a gorgeous sunny Portland day. :thumbup:

Looking very forward to an REM song.  That was the band of my HS and early college years and one of the few bands I've seen live more than once.  

I'm regretting not doubling down with IDLES Joy as an act of resistance.
There's so much rap on the three .paak  picks that I am regretting taking three with the other two. I like all, but it's too much explicit material. My two toughest cuts in the jazz effort would work better. Trombone Shorty's Backatown being the real tough one. I have two picks left, but pretty sure I want four. So Yes Lawd! has been voted off the island. I have three picks to ponder. 

Since freakin' KP over here has broken the seal on two albums, I'ma take advantage, and I'll post my last two that come to my head:

Honorable Mention III - Future - Pluto (2012)

Not sure whether this makes my island because I like it or if it's memories from a whole new sound coming out of the traps of SPFLD, MA everywhere that year.  Anyway, his Cookie Monster growl, while once perfected by Ja Rule, was copped and used well by Future. The beats? Dystopic trap and cokey synths and weird reverb theremins (?) that you hear now all over the place. The vox? The autotune you hear everywhere even by the best rappers now.

It started here. I think I've heard Turn On The Lights about a thousand times. Never gets old. 

Parachute (feat. R. Kelly)

Turn On The Lights

I actually dig most of your playlist quite a bit. The Phantom Thread pick was money.
Yeah, I was a little tipsy and overly harsh in that first post.  I have listened to most of your playlist, and like any playlist I have listened to for these, there is for sure a song/artist I really connected to.   On yours I really liked the Sharon Van Etten,  Bedouine, and loved the guitar on Mdou Moctar.    I also had some of your rap choices, Lorde, and Daft Punk on my short lists as well.  I think it was just the way the Spotify shuffle came up that night and I mostly got the jazzy, EDM, and Deafheaven side of the mix which doesn't click much with me.  

Round 12

Album: Woodstock

Artist: Portugal. The Man

Release Year: 2017

Feel It Still

Mr. Lonely

Number One

This ain't your father's Woodstock. One of my first discoveries on Spotify, I was hooked right away even if it wasn't exactly in my wheelhouse musically. The music is very danceable but with an edge. I keep telling myself I'll explore the rest of their catalogue but haven't got around to it yet, and always want to put this one back on when I feel like hearing them.
Another near miss from me was Evil Friends  from Portugal the Man. Obviously with 'Feel it Still', this was their biggest album of the decade and one of the biggest rock albums of the decade period, but I prefer Evil Friends by quite a bit, with 'Purple, Yellow, Red and Blue', 'Creep in a T-Shirt', 'Evil Friends' and 'Modern Jesus'

Users who are viewing this thread