What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

12:00 Chariot. Let's get back on track here.

1.05 – Lorde – Pure Heroine – 2013

Simply and coldly put, this album was both a function of and catalyst for change of pop in the aughts, encompassing format, distribution, and content. It blew my mind when it came out but I was personally unable to bring to abstraction what was so good about it, and an appreciation of it came to me again later this decade upon the release of her second, which also took a sit-down moment and recommendations to finally break through. I think Pure Heroine displays a clarity, bona fide lyrical prowess, and a deconstruction of the elements of pop sound that had come heretofore from the nowhere zip codes she alluded to in her decade-best (IMHO) song "Royals."

Long write-up and links in spoiler

Reveal hidden contents
Was anybody paying attention to the young adults of the early aughts? How absolutely danceable the good punk had become, how coked out the rap/hip hop sounded and aspired to, how aughts dance had fragmented in a million ways, leaving algorithms to rule the airwaves in the form of uploads and streams on social media? And was anybody paying attention to the seismic shifts in the music industry thenceforth? The music industry, circa 2000, a dead one because of these developments, sure had found a way to function again by the late aughts. How to get around the death of everyone's favorite, binary-cropped “disc,” in both copyright publication ownership and the CD charge against the artist and public in record contracts themselves had been answered thusly: Achieve the most amount of playtime via cheaply-compensated streams aimed at the largest demographic, and then perform those songs extensively live – preferably in arenas or festivals. If this was not viable, you could, even better, find a format laden with commercials on the airwaves. Your biggest hits? Never mind ad-supported, they now work in the ad’s or program’s experience. And the gorging at the industry’s trough continued. The biggest counters to this by the musician and public? The rise in the early and mid-aughts of slow and warmed-over guitar twee, served with a side of the Beach Boys and their attendant rock clubs mixed with non-copyrighted beats coming from banging dance clubs (one presumes) in Europe. But the bankers got to that mostly, too, probably the day Modest Mouse floated on into the sky sonically and epically, or the day Kanye broke Daft Punk finally in America, leaving every dance and indie act now struggling to come to the fore resultant in a twenty dollar t shirt mark up charge.

I’ll still give you my money, Daft Punk. 

But enough: it all seemed so prime for a takedown, or so inevitably careening toward mathematical and behaviorist certainty, that it began to propel and stack us Eight Million American Idols High, with a surprising emphasis on slightly chubby girls with triceps once unheard of and impossibly skinny men with tucked in calves and glutes all leading the way to a weird sort of bones and dough display, all grossly and baldly androgynous until Miley shaved everywhere but her armpits, leaving us with a shorn freak who was always going all the way but for spirit and humanness; where even tepid creativeness fought the algorithm, or, if you’re into the human for the moment like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs once were, you had your own riff of the decade totally ripped off for a mechanical imagining spewing forth from machines, vox changed from desperate longing and tears abounding to something more sterilized, palatable and feminist coming from the actual original AI winner. 

Maps and longing were not cold enough for the feminine, spoke the machine, and a John Greene protagonist in copyrighted Paper Towns was born ever so gladly for the next gen.

So was this to be the final shot? Wherein was the remedy needed, the purge of this? Was a dialectical purge of this even possible? Desirable? Well, where would it come from? Folk/indie, ineffectually looking toward lost innocence however sadly? Post-punk and frustration bass ad nauseam? Guitar-based singer/songwriter introspection? It didn’t look too good. Who on earth would could? Who on earth would really dare? 

But then. It was answered in one of those typically weirdly lucky ways America often operates upon when there is a cultural stasis or problem. Quite simply, we are bailed out by an utterly unique ally whereby the solution to the melting pot of dialectical issues comes from abroad in our vacuum, maybe sometimes twenty years ahead of America’s time, and aligns with ours. We are unique in lots of things, and accepting this help bit and branding it our own is indispensable to the American experiment. This time the system shock came from a husky-voiced, seventeen year-old residing in a small town in New Zealand, at once wonderfully seductive while also being freshly acne-faced and problematic-looking for a teen star.

Ella Yelich O’Connor, or Lorde, the person in question, had signed her first music deal in her mid-teens having already read 1,000 total books and proofreading her Mother’s doctoral thesis. She was singing for a mother’s friend who happened to be connected in some way to the industry. A Soundcloud success later, three years passage, and still singing after releasing a successful EP in NZ, there she was, smacking, as if instantly, off of the FM dial somehow with that song. That damn song that actually hit on U.S. radio. It directly addressed the zeitgeist of the aughts and the time – the top artists, the men and women within rap/hip hop/R&B were spending their cultural capital and their creative niche outlets having fights over their total worth and selection of inventory. And the public was buying it as art. The artists’ assets and goodwill brands acted as if, according to the “artist,” that the imprimatur of their new wealth sanctified poetry set to a music backdrop -- and was the raison d’etre of the effort. The songs and appearances had lurched almost fatally to celebrity appearance and cash. Accountants with attitudes showing up to work. It was so silly…and then…

But every song's like gold teeth, Grey Goose, trippin' in the bathroom
Bloodstains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair

And we'll never be royals
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler, you can call me Queen B
And baby I'll rule (I'll rule I'll rule I'll rule)
Let me live that fantasy

Who said that? Why were they/it/her/he saying it? The entire industry was completely blindsided. The song hit, and hit hard, spending nine weeks at the top of the billboard charts, longer but not before cries of nihilism, elitism, racism, how dare she... flew over the song. And Lorde? That name? What the hell was that?

And did I mention she was young? Well, she knew what some of her songs were. They were shots across the celebrity bow, announced with more authority than Nuke LaLoosh of Bull Durham fame had ever dreamed, and devastated or at least turned some careers creatively toward other things then capital. People were especially thinking the song was a shot at Jay-Z and Beyonce, That caused problems, quickly put out. But it's hard to imagine a 4:44 and Lemonade might not even be subject fodder worthy of a listen without “Royals” four or so years earlier. The irony? Now everyone knew who Lorde was, too, this now-famous and likely very rich girl from a small town under the equator where even now the water goes the other way, doesn't it? And she’d tell you, too. Her lyrics dealt with the inevitability of her arrival on the scene, and with a bit of humility kept reminding us, not overtly and directly, but with well-composed lines of all too-prescient spirit, that...

1. She’s good.
  2. She’s going to be famous.
  3. This is how she’ll deal with it. And if you respect it, hey, come along, too
To further emphasize: I’ve read stuff I’ve written at thirteen. It’s as laughably bad as one can imagine. Say, for instance, Walter in The Big Lebowski penned odes to his ex in a fictional world of his own. The emotions of fifteen-seventeen year-olds, however earnestly and deeply felt, are often left best to the hands of the few, and Lorde is one of them. Her talent is something that happens once in a generation, once in two or three generations, even. Bowie said he listened to this album and it "felt like tomorrow." She even treats and addresses her male teenage paramours in an unusually multi-dimensional way, which means she treats them like humans, and therefore, rather well for that age. There's no oversexed libertine or demanding shelterer; but rather a real, contemplative young woman about to embark on her life's journey. Even if the boys in that verbal picture have the inevitable teenage acne and are burning their faces and hair off casually and literally. Ever burn your own face? I have twice. Grease and glass. It’s horrendous and scary. And likely something you should be nowhere near. There’s a lot of experience that has to go into that event, at least most likely, and through little snippets like that, she plays a fairly reliable emotional narrator of her own journey. She announces thusly about her impending certain fame and future press clippings and who she’ll share it with and announces, to no one in particular, her life and potential loves. Even a slight sojourn is admittedly her first, but it feels like she’s done it before:

Pretty soon I'll be getting on my first plane
I'll see the veins of my city like they do in space
But my head's filling up with the wicked games, up in flames
How can I #### with the fun again, when I'm known
And my boys trip me up with their heads again, loving them
Everything's cool when we're all in line, for the throne
But I know it's not forever (Yeah)

It’s quite remarkable, these tracks, this album. Its minimalism in its percussive repetition for beats, like the Neptunes did to hip hop with Clipse on Grindin’, changed the tenor and tone of female pop. It’s almost percussive acapella. Ella wrote the lyrics and conducted the music with songwriting partner Joel Little, fairly enough for massive credit and publishing crediting backed up by every version of the event, so to speak. And it worked: I’m not alone in that assessment. The dark minimal sound of hip hop and pop would be changed for the better part of the decade because of it. It’s hard to imagine my second pick for AOTD without Pure Heroine’s outsider success both lyrically and topically, so there it stays until next pick, snipe willin’.
Wonderful write-up at Billboard about “Royals” here:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8544122/lorde-royals-songs-that-defined-the-decade

Standout, wonderful tracks:

Tennis Court

Royals

Buzzcut Season

White Teeth Teens
Great album and surely not the last we will hear from her

Apologies to my kind-hearted crew. I'll brainstorm here real quick and see if inspiration strikes me, but y'all can go ahead and skip me for now. Not worried about snipes. Gotta finish subtitles for a past UFC event by tomorrow night and it's a lot of grunt work.  :ph34r:

1.07 - Grimes - "Art Angels" (2015)

The way I see it, I've got 4 albums this decade that I could reasonably argue are my favorite of all-time on any given day.  But if I've got a #1, it's gotta be this one.  I could draft any of her 10s releases and be happy to have them on my island.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but to me it's simply a masterpiece.

World Princess Part II

Kill V. Maim

California

Venus Fly (feat. Janelle Monae)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimes just announced she's pregnant with a nude photo on Instagram an hour ago. Obviously NSFW so Google, you know, if you're into that sort of thing. 

Love it.  We are seeing some personal flare and stuff not on the "normal" lists already.  I think Tasker is going to be sniping some stuff from me, but to be fair it's some of his drafts that got me listening to a bit of it, so I think that's fair he gets them if it comes to it.  

I really was surprised by the albums that I was writing down as I was sifting through and thinking about what I would grab first.  It's not the names that I expected to see, starting with this one.  The wife and I have seen them 4 times live now, but only once on purpose.  3 times they were an opening band or co-opener for who we were mainly seeing, but every time we walked away liking their music more than who we intended to see and keep going back to their albums, mainly this one.  

1.08:  Lord Huron -  Strange Trails  (2015)

I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you
Take me back to the night we met
I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Haunted by the ghost of you
Oh, take me back to the night we me
t

The Night We Met

Meet Me in the Woods

The Yawning Grave

1.09 In Colour by Jamixx (2015)

genre: electronica/house

A dazzling culmination of Jamie xx’s last six years of work, gathering up elements of everything he’s done—moody ballads, floor-filling bangers, expansive and off-kilter collaborations with vocalists—and packing them tightly into a glittering ball that reflects spinning fragments of feeling back at us.- Pitchfork

...as foreground music, I found myself taken by its glimmers of beat, snatches of melody, trick sounds, and fluctuating dynamics as well as the hooks with which most tracks are equipped and around which few are structured. - Robert Christgau

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)

Loud Places

Obvs

Ilov80s said:

A dazzling culmination of Jamie xx’s last six years of work, gathering up elements of everything he’s done—moody ballads, floor-filling bangers, expansive and off-kilter collaborations with vocalists—and packing them tightly into a glittering ball that reflects spinning fragments of feeling back at us.- Pitchfork

...as foreground music, I found myself taken by its glimmers of beat, snatches of melody, trick sounds, and fluctuating dynamics as well as the hooks with which most tracks are equipped and around which few are structured. - Robert Christgau

Loud Places

Obvs
Had this on my list.  Great album.  

Personal favorite track is the low-key underrated "See Saw", because, you know, Romy.

A lot of my picks will tie into concert experiences. I listen to the album and relive those moments and it's all heightened IMO. 

I saw this band on this tour at a small (by their standards, say 1500 people) venue with looooow ceilings. The crowd was amped and apparently fairly well populated with Brits because empty beer cans were flying all over the place all concert long. It was an experience. 

Aside from that, I think it genuinely is my #1 album of the decade. It's certainly the first that came to mind and I'd wager the one I've played the most. He's one of the best lyricists in the world and everything on this album just sounds so cool

1.10 - Arctic Monkeys - AM

Arabella

Knee Socks

Do I Wanna Know

A lot of my picks will tie into concert experiences. I listen to the album and relive those moments and it's all heightened IMO. 

I saw this band on this tour at a small (by their standards, say 1500 people) venue with looooow ceilings. The crowd was amped and apparently fairly well populated with Brits because empty beer cans were flying all over the place all concert long. It was an experience. 

Aside from that, I think it genuinely is my #1 album of the decade. It's certainly the first that came to mind and I'd wager the one I've played the most. He's one of the best lyricists in the world and everything on this album just sounds so cool

Arabella

Knee Socks

Do I Wanna Know
Nice.  It was between this, Lord Huron, and one other for my first pick.  

Arabella

Knee Socks

Do I Wanna Know
I would have found some room for this one. Great record. 

Abrantes said:
1.06 White Denim - D (2011)
I listened to this on the way to the farmer's market this afternoon.  :thumbup:

It'll take some doing for someone else to top the flute solo on it.

I have no idea why the board is quoting this to Abrantes instead of landrys hat.

2010 had a couple of contenders for me, but I'm gonna start with this one, it was a crusher when this duo broke up, they could have done great things... but we got one great record from them....

1 -11

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow - 2010

great harmonies and vocal work by both of them and this title track continues to stop me whenever I hear it, apparently  there was so much heat between these two, and it shows throughout this record, it led to their ultimate breakup as it was bleeding into there relationships.  They've done some solid work as solo's, including a good record from Joy Williams this year and John Paul White has put out some notable stuff,  but this record is in the top 10 of the decade for me.

Title Track Barton Hollow : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAM8D7cfbI

Arabella

Knee Socks

Do I Wanna Know
Vinyl Worthy,  I just picked up the Vinyl of this for archival purposes, great record.

1.12  Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City  (2013)

Hate to disappoint KP but I'm going chalk :)  . I think it's one of the best albums of the decade and almost certainly the one I've heard the most because, like me, both my daughters love it.  It has received a lot of air time in our household.  

@Eephus

I figured somebody would take that VW album soon...and am sure we'll see more.

While I like them, I've never loved them. But roar lions roar, wake the echoes round the Hudson valley.

Hate to disappoint KP but I'm going chalk :)  . I think it's one of the best albums of the decade and almost certainly the one I've heard the most because, like me, both my daughters love it.  It has received a lot of air time in our household.  

@Eephus
No disappointment here- this was the 3rd I was talking about above.   Great album.  

1.13 - Malibu - Anderson .Paak  (2016)

An album that lives at the intersection of R&B, hip hop, old school and new school.  Like most modern R&B albums, the artist worked with a number of producers but the album still has a nice flow to it.  The spoken word surfing clips help in this regard and also make it suitable listening for a desert island. 

There are a lot of albums where I can remember exactly what I was doing the first time I heard them but most of these reside in the distant past.  Musical memories are more vivid when you're younger and physical media helped to connect the time and place.  But I can remember sitting on a lawn chair in the backyard listening to this album.  It was one of those beautiful winter days in California that made me move out here in the first place.  I kept having to move the chair to catch the last rays of sunshine.

The Waters

Without You

Never Come Down

Ilov80s said:

Loud Places

Obvs
Another one I hadn't heard of.  This was a great listen.  

Ilov80s said:

Loud Places

Obvs
Is this the one with Gosh? Good stuff...

1.13 - Malibu - Anderson .Paak  (2016)

An album that lives at the intersection of R&B, hip hop, old school and new school.  Like most modern R&B albums, the artist worked with a number of producers but the album still has a nice flow to it.  The spoken word surfing clips help in this regard and also make it suitable listening for a desert island. 

There are a lot of albums where I can remember exactly what I was doing the first time I heard them but most of these reside in the distant past.  Musical memories are more vivid when you're younger and physical media helped to connect the time and place.  But I can remember sitting on a lawn chair in the backyard listening to this album.  It was one of those beautiful winter days in California that made me move out here in the first place.  I kept having to move the chair to catch the last rays of sunshine.

The Waters

Without You

Never Come Down
Picked "Heart Don't Stand a Chance" in our last draft, and this was on the short shortlist I put together in a hurry. Easily one of the best vibes of the decade.

While I love Spotify et al, I noticed that it's led to me having a tougher time keeping track of what I've listened to for these drafts lately, compared to when I'd just go through my CDs or mp3 library. That contributes to my lateness with these picks. (#ptts)

I was super late to the party on Spotify, but this was one of the first albums I remember playing over and over on it, and I keep coming back to it still. Synths rule everything around me, and I love everything about their sound.

1.03 CHVRCHES, Every Open Eye (2015)

@Eephus
This was on my short list of four or so records that I loved most this decade. Definitely the number one from a traditional rock band, as it were, even if they were never so traditional nor rock. 

While I love Spotify et al, I noticed that it's led to me having a tougher time keeping track of what I've listened to for these drafts lately, compared to when I'd just go through my CDs or mp3 library. That contributes to my lateness with these picks. (#ptts)

I was super late to the party on Spotify, but this was one of the first albums I remember playing over and over on it, and I keep coming back to it still. Synths rule everything around me, and I love everything about their sound.

1.03 CHVRCHES, Every Open Eye
That's a snipe.  Nice pick. 

Users who are viewing this thread