What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (3 Viewers)

Father John Misty being a bit of an extremely online troll kinda kept me from dipping a toe into his music, but I'll take this as an opportunity to check it out.  :hophead:

Assuming I can go (and I'm really rushing these but have given them thought) here's what I'm going with.

1.15  Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit

Now, my very favorite song of hers isn't even on this album - but because of this album, I discovered my favorite song of hers and it's this one:  Avant Gardner.  What I love about her is that she is so simple yet so brilliant.  I am a huge HUGE fan of artists who can self-deprecate and this kid does it about as well as anybody in the industry.  She comes across as modest and meek but boy howdy, would I hate to be on the wrong end of one of her songs.  "Pedestrian at Best" was what hooked me first.  I mean....c'mon!  This is outstanding: 

I love you, I hate you, I'm on the fence, it all depends
Whether I'm up or down, I'm on the mend, transcending all reality
I like you, despise you, admire you
What are we gonna do when everything all falls through?
I must confess, I've made a mess of what should be a small success
But I digress, at least I've tried my very best, I guess
This, that, the other, why even bother?
It won't be with me on my deathbed, but I'll still be in your head

And the way she delivers this is phenomenal.  She's taking pages out of others' books and she's unapologetic about it.  She's refreshing.  Where does she come up with this:

Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
Give me all your money, and I'll make some origami, honey  :lmao:
I think you're a joke, but I don't find you very funny

I look up to past generations for their musical work and pioneering ways, but I'm also looking at the generations below and hold Ms. Barnett up as an exemplar of the genius that is still emerging in this world.  

Mildly surprised this is still on the board.

Another one where I instantly think of a concert. I was able to get absolute front row for these guys because I loved the opening act and most of the crowd didn't really care about him, maybe not the best fit style wise but perfect for me...  Anyway front row was key as I was a bit older for the crowd. Not Eephus aged but mid-30s and the onslaught of bodies started on the first note of the first song and didn't end until they were finished. 

There will be a lot of Canadian bands on my island (spoiler alert) but these two guys who make enough noise for ten people are the most essential 

2.06 - Japandroids - Celebration Rock (2012)

The House That Heaven Built

Younger Us

Evil's Sway
These were my next two picks.

Love these... And that Kurt vile gm just took too.

Father John Misty being a bit of an extremely online troll kinda kept me from dipping a toe into his music, but I'll take this as an opportunity to check it out.  :hophead:

Yeah, I couldn't do it for a long time either but when I did, it turns out, he's really ####### good. 
In don’t know anything about his online presence but I’m aware he’s a DB. I just ignore his personality and appreciate the music. 

1.13 - Malibu - Anderson .Paak  (2016)
You're doing the lords work here as usual.  Saw him last year in concert.  Outdoor venue with my then 20 yr and 17 yr old daughters.  Interesting mix.  Great show.  He is a talented guy.

My favorite "live" version from him (I think this was a few days after Bowie's death), wait for the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcHkYSvO93Q

Yeah, I couldn't do it for a long time either but when I did, it turns out, he's really ####### good. 
Fear Fun is my favorite from his Father John persona probably because the schtick was fresh. 

I always thought his real name Josh Tillman sounds like he should be a relief pitcher in the Mariners organization.

I think we had -- me and Ilov80s -- this discussion in another thread that we'd sort of commandeered for momentary musical maleficence. I sort of got the feeling, from limited exposure, that Father John Misty was really talented and wrote music that would piss off a lot of people. I remember sympathizing with his song, actually, and knew it wouldn't go over so well in other worlds that tend to have a different worldview than mine. He could hit pariah easily, I thought, more so than I had any personal reaction to the lyrics. I assumed the role of that which i'd stereotype as his target audience, I admit.

Anyway, I'll have to listen to him more. 

I think we had -- me and Ilov80s -- this discussion in another thread that we'd sort of commandeered for momentary musical maleficence. I sort of got the feeling, from limited exposure, that Father John Misty was really talented and wrote music that would piss off a lot of people. I remember sympathizing with his song, actually, and knew it wouldn't go over so well in other worlds that tend to have a different worldview than mine. He could hit pariah easily, I thought, more so than I had any personal reaction to the lyrics. I assumed the role of that which i'd stereotype as his target audience, I admit.

Anyway, I'll have to listen to him more. 
He’s an interesting guy, that’s for sure. Now I’m Learning to Love the War might be a song that you find interesting. 

I'm almost 99% positive that was the song. 
There's a song about a cemetery which was my intro...."jeeeee-eeesus Christ, girl"...., but is a little more rhytmic and hookey (my wheelhouse) than the other singer songwriter stuff I've heard from him that doesn't turn my crank. I dig that song though.

I'm almost 99% positive that was the song. 
Yep, pretty sure. It’s an odd song politically as it’s talking about climate change and how we are destroying the planet but we targeted at artists and ultimately embracing the destruction of the planet. 

There's a song about a cemetery which was my intro...."jeeeee-eeesus Christ, girl"...., but is a little more rhytmic and hookey (my wheelhouse) than the other singer songwriter stuff I've heard from him that doesn't turn my crank. I dig that song though.
Hollywood Forever Cemetery which I agree with a previous poster that it’s one of the best songs of the decade. Also especially impressive considering it’s about going to random funerals, getting real high and having sex in a mausoleum. 

Hollywood Forever Cemetery which I agree with a previous poster that it’s one of the best songs of the decade. Also especially impressive considering it’s about going to random funerals, getting real high and having sex in a mausoleum. 
Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson for the film version

2.10 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz (2014)

Need something best played loud for the island.  King Gizzard is one of the most prolific bands of the decade.  15 albums and there aren't two that sound the same.  They've done psych, metal, prog, folk, jazz, garage.  This record was the first of theirs that I listened to and it's still my favorite.

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz (medley of first four album songs)

I will write up and post songs later, but we will cross off a 2017 pick for Eephus and get the draft going.  

2.xx: Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps (2017) 
I will update this with brief thoughts - mostly that this album breaks my heart at times, but I can't stop listening to it.  Motion Sickness is one of my most played songs on Spotify despite this album only being a couple years old.  I think after my first 2 picks, I am going to have to target some more upbeat party music for my island in Rd 3.  

I have emotional motion sickness
Somebody roll the windows down
There are no words in the English language
I could scream to drown you out

Motion Sickness

Smoke Signals

Killer

2.10 - Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 - (2016/2017) (Eephus's Choice)

RTJ uses a rare Christmas Eve release and moves to the mainstream, somehow sounding more subversive, sonically and sociopolitically, than those twenty years younger. Paranoia, a theme common to El-P’s worldview, buffers Killer Mike’s radical politics; both complement the other and leave us with lines that perfectly sum them up.

Marshawn lynchin’ it.

That’s the only lyric in album full of them if you dig football that you’ll need, really. For more inspiration or songs, click the spoiler for a longer, more personal write-up. Peace...

Call Ticketron

A Report To The Shareholders (Live NPR Desk)

This was the hardest pick I'll have of the draft. I started a thread on this very forum for RTJ2. So why 3? The former sort of caused Buckfast to start hip hop's own thread here, IIRC, citing its need. (He loved RTJ2, also, and is a dedicated hip hop concert attendee in Colorado, where the shows blow early, late, often, whenever man, the #### is legal and in place in this state). RTJ2, then, felt like it came out nowhere to most music critics who expected the first iteration from earlier that year in 2014 (I was on El-P's mailing list, I think, on a dummy email account. Regardless, I was checking a little-used account and RTJ came in the form of free downloads sanctified by RTJ themselves -- so I immediately downloaded. While it wasn't as good as El-P's latest, IMO, it was something else to behold. "Very cool," thought I) to sort of fizzle out and remain a one-offed surprise from two underground rap heavyweights. But later that year, they put out what even the flinty Pitchfork called the "most viciously realized rap album of 2014 and most other years." It was sizzling, taking shots at rap, politics, music, everything. An album of the decade in most people's considerations other than self-described niche mags. So why, again, 3?

Despite 3's acclaim, it's generally considered the lesser of the two albums. Here is where I digress: Instead of raw braggadocio and shots at everybody, El-P and Killer Mike see more attuned with current events and the zeitgeist. There's also something a little more personal in this album. I think RTJ knows there's an absence in NY. It needs a king. El-P might still be scared about the drones in brooklyn, but here the surprising festival stalwarts start to speak out broader things rather than hide behind the uber cool that they've become, right down the the record's announcement on a Portlandia promo to the drop on XMas eve, which seemed to place them in a different even material stratosphere. (Yeah, you've got the tigers Lorde talks about, I've got the real marketing announcement and album drop date you can't possibly compete with. Oh, and then see a Rick and Morty collaboration for the full win)

And so I listened on XMas eve. Back then, a dream. My favorite rap act, a bottle, and good feelings from holidays I'll never hate without family around. (I’ve kept the favorite rap act and good feelings, hope every day to keep ditching the bottle). And then these songs. One title piques my interest: Call Ticketron. “Live from the Garden – L-l-l-l-ive from Garden.” Upon first instant listen, it’s the club banger of the year. Upon many listens, the decade. Only El Producto could remember being a kid, those commercials about acts playing the garden in that voice, and sample it over a technotronic beat that just bumps so savagely.

And the more I listen, the deeper the album it gets. Its declarations about grander things like entire worlds, politics included. El-P still thinks they’re coming for him. And as someone deeply skeptical of authority, knowing Hoover and the FBI, who doesn’t think there’s not a dossier?

Killer Mike announced at NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert, and I paraphrase here, “They’ll try to label us a political act. We’re not.” But songs and videos like “Legend Has It,” “Stay Gold,” “Don’t Get Captured,” “Thieves! (Screamed The Ghost),” “Panther Like A Panther,” and finally, “A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters” give a us a different picture. Perhaps Mike sees the exclusion that is deeply felt by those without such radical politics. Perhaps he just likes to sell merch like Michael Jordan’s long-standing quote about Republicans and shoes. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps that merch sells because of its politics, from the anointment of greatness as art to the devolution of property illicitly grabbed in fists. But there is metaphor. Two long-standing neglected acts come together right before their forties to put cutting rap to page and ear? If El-P wasn’t El-P and Mike hadn’t put out R.A.P Music, one might be inclined to give wide berth in this, his proclamation. Even as a favorite act of mine, I’m gonna do the RTJ thing and not toe a line for anyone, even idols. I see something else. I see a lament in the voice of Mike, a conservative stutter -- perhaps a dissent from El-P -- in a way. He seems to be saying, when they say don’t label them a political act, that he’s for anything this art wants short of political actualization.

So what does this leave itself? The taboos are the last, to see them fall is to always watch the spectacular act. The question is what happens when realized. Whither the void? Forget that for now, because corner El-P, ask him, and I’ll bet he’ll lead you to where the world crashes in on itself, but it’s a beautiful ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will update this with brief thoughts - mostly that this album breaks my heart at times, but I can't stop listening to it.  Motion Sickness is one of my most played songs on Spotify despite this album only being a couple years old.  I think after my first 2 picks, I am going to have to target some more upbeat party music for my island in Rd 3.  

Motion Sickness

Smoke Signals

Killer
Played the heck out of "Motion Sickness" too.  :thumbup:

2.10 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz (2014)

Need something best played loud for the island.  King Gizzard is one of the most prolific bands of the decade.  15 albums and there aren't two that sound the same.  They've done psych, metal, prog, folk, jazz, garage.  This record was the first of theirs that I listened to and it's still my favorite.

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz (medley of first four album songs)
Anyone seen these guys live? I've heard they're amazing but with all the genre hopping, feels like it would be all over the place.

2.10 - Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 - (2016/2017) (Eephus's Choice)

RTJ uses a rare Christmas Eve release and moves to the mainstream, somehow sounding more subversive, sonically and sociopolitically, than those twenty years younger. Paranoia, a theme common to El-P’s worldview, buffers Killer Mike’s radical politics; both complement the other and leave us with lines that perfectly sum them up.

Marshawn lynchin’ it.

That’s the only lyric in album full of them if you dig football that you’ll need, really. For more inspiration or songs, click the spoiler for a longer, more personal write-up. Peace...

Call Ticketron

A Report To The Shareholders (Live NPR Desk)

Reveal hidden contents
This was the hardest pick I'll have of the draft. I started a thread on this very forum for RTJ2. So why 3? The former sort of caused Buckfast to start hip hop's own thread here, IIRC, citing its need. (He loved RTJ2, also, and is a dedicated hip hop concert attendee in Colorado, where the shows blow early, late, often, whenever man, the #### is legal and in place in this state). RTJ2, then, felt like it came out nowhere to most music critics who expected the first iteration from earlier that year in 2014 (I was on El-P's mailing list, I think, on a dummy email account. Regardless, I was checking a little-used account and RTJ came in the form of free downloads sanctified by RTJ themselves -- so I immediately downloaded. While it wasn't as good as El-P's latest, IMO, it was something else to behold. "Very cool," thought I) to sort of fizzle out and remain a one-offed surprise from two underground rap heavyweights. But later that year, they put out what even the flinty Pitchfork called the "most viciously realized rap album of 2014 and most other years." It was sizzling, taking shots at rap, politics, music, everything. An album of the decade in most people's considerations other than self-described niche mags. So why, again, 3?

Despite 3's acclaim, it's generally considered the lesser of the two albums. Here is where I digress: Instead of raw braggadocio and shots at everybody, El-P and Killer Mike see more attuned with current events and the zeitgeist. There's also something a little more personal in this album. I think RTJ knows there's an absence in NY. It needs a king. El-P might still be scared about the drones in brooklyn, but here the surprising festival stalwarts start to speak out broader things rather than hide behind the uber cool that they've become, right down the the record's announcement on a Portlandia promo to the drop on XMas eve, which seemed to place them in a different even material stratosphere. (Yeah, you've got the tigers Lorde talks about, I've got the real marketing announcement and album drop date you can't possibly compete with. Oh, and then see a Rick and Morty collaboration for the full win)

And so I listened on XMas eve. Back then, a dream. My favorite rap act, a bottle, and good feelings from holidays I'll never hate without family around. (I’ve kept the favorite rap act and good feelings, hope every day to keep ditching the bottle). And then these songs. One title piques my interest: Call Ticketron. “Live from the Garden – L-l-l-l-ive from Garden.” Upon first instant listen, it’s the club banger of the year. Upon many listens, the decade. Only El Producto could remember being a kid, those commercials about acts playing the garden in that voice, and sample it over a technotronic beat that just bumps so savagely.

And the more I listen, the deeper the album it gets. Its declarations about grander things like entire worlds, politics included. El-P still thinks they’re coming for him. And as someone deeply skeptical of authority, knowing Hoover and the FBI, who doesn’t think there’s not a dossier?

Killer Mike announced at NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert, and I paraphrase here, “They’ll try to label us a political act. We’re not.” But songs and videos like “Legend Has It,” “Stay Gold,” “Don’t Get Captured,” “Thieves! (Screamed The Ghost),” “Panther Like A Panther,” and finally, “A Report To The Shareholders/Kill Your Masters” give a us a different picture. Perhaps Mike sees the exclusion that is deeply felt by those without such radical politics. Perhaps he just likes to sell merch like Michael Jordan’s long-standing quote about Republicans and shoes. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps that merch sells because of its politics, from the anointment of greatness as art to the devolution of property illicitly grabbed in fists. But there is metaphor. Two long-standing neglected acts come together right before their forties to put cutting rap to page and ear? If El-P wasn’t El-P and Mike hadn’t put out R.A.P Music, one might be inclined to give wide berth in this, his proclamation. Even as a favorite act of mine, I’m gonna do the RTJ thing and not toe a line for anyone, even idols. I see something else. I see a lament in the voice of Mike, a conservative stutter -- perhaps a dissent from El-P -- in a way. He seems to be saying, when they say don’t label them a political act, that he’s for anything this art wants short of political actualization.

So what does this leave itself? The taboos are the last, to see them fall is to always watch the spectacular act. The question is what happens when realized. Whither the void? Forget that for now, because corner El-P, ask him, and I’ll bet he’ll lead you to where the world crashes in on itself, but it’s a beautiful ride.
I saw your second round pick open for your first round pick a couple years ago (and the Jays home opener in the afternoon of that same day). Great show. 

ALSOLOOKATMEIGOTOCONCERTS

I saw your second round pick open for your first round pick a couple years ago (and the Jays home opener in the afternoon of that same day). Great show. 

ALSOLOOKATMEIGOTOCONCERTS
Heh. I thought of that tour, actually. That would have been an awesome show, and an awesome day to see the Jays, too. I think I might be too old and creaky for something like that now. Enjoy it while you can. Srsly.

As for the two acts, they did a remix of "Supercut" by Lorde together. It's a pretty good song, IMO, though they sound a bit different and incongruous at times. 

Heh. I thought of that tour, actually. That would have been an awesome show, and an awesome day to see the Jays, too. I think I might be too old and creaky for something like that now. Enjoy it while you can. Srsly.

As for the two acts, they did a remix of "Supercut" by Lorde together. It's a pretty good song, IMO, though they sound a bit different and incongruous at times. 
I have a remix of supercut playlisted...absolutely love it. Not sure of it's the same.

I have a remix of supercut playlisted...absolutely love it. Not sure of it's the same.
It makes my most frequently played list on Spotify. Hmm... could very well be i like it more than I'm letting on. I guess I've listened to it a lot and really enjoy it, but Killer Mike's verse and El-P's staccato aren't perfect for the song, though that's the case with most remixes.  A link for anyone interested. https://youtu.be/oWKvFaShQyY

Motion Sickness

Smoke Signals

Killer
I was watching the first video - really like the song - and then I started reading the comments. I had no idea about Ryan Adams and his transgressions. I’m kind of bummed to hear it because I like his music a lot and now I’ll have a hard time listening to it. I know sometimes you have to separate the art from the person but with so much music to listen to out there it’s hard to now choose his. I was considering two of his records for this draft even.

Rock picking that RTJ album was what I assumed he would take in the 1st. 

LCD lasting this long seems like the biggest faller of the draft so far

Rock picking that RTJ album was what I assumed he would take in the 1st. 

Yep. That's no surprise. I even mentioned them (not spotlighted) them as my second favorite album of the decade, one whose bizarre popularity I don't think exists without the zeitgeist she helped tap into. El-P couldn't even get a proper release for I'll Sleep When You're Dead in 2007 (it's on Spotify, finally, after two weeks ago) and had been an indie guy since 1997 or so. Killer Mike had been an OutKast guest, but that was largely his claim to fame. For them to break big critically and on the festival circuits in 2015 was sort of out of blue. 

I would have bet on that being a first rounder.  
It's not the album I reach for when I want to listen to LCD Soundsystem but it's a fine record. 

They and The Black Keys are the only artists drafted so far that arguably have better albums released in the previous decade.  NTTAWWT

I was watching the first video - really like the song - and then I started reading the comments. I had no idea about Ryan Adams and his transgressions. I’m kind of bummed to hear it because I like his music a lot and now I’ll have a hard time listening to it. I know sometimes you have to separate the art from the person but with so much music to listen to out there it’s hard to now choose his. I was considering two of his records for this draft even.
I honestly had no clue that song was about him.  Makes a lot more sense now though.  :bag:

It's not the album I reach for when I want to listen to LCD Soundsystem but it's a fine record. 

They and The Black Keys are the only artists drafted so far that arguably have better albums released in the previous decade.  NTTAWWT
Sound of Silver would've been an easy 1.03 for me, chalk be damned.

I remember around this time last year Adams saying he was going to release three albums in 2019.  :bag:

It's a slippery slope to cancel all the work he's already done.  I mean I knew he was always kind of a #### and that didn't deter me.  But his next career move is really important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread