Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
SaintsInDome2006

The New Orleans Saints Vs Minnesota Vikings,1st Round Playoff, Live from the Louisiana Superdome

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

49ers continue to get no respect. They beat the Saints and GB already. 

GB is being forgotten as well......hell, most people were already pencilling in the saints over GB next week in Lambeau.....now GB gets winner of Philly and Seattle on the frozen tundra.....I'm glad I stocked up on GB players for playoff FF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Saints probably should have scored more than 20 in regulation.

Lots of really stupid stuff happened when you think back on it...that Brees fumble was ridiculous, and Kamara had a number of bonehead plays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lod001 said:

In the playoffs they should give each team a chance. One of the dumbest rules ever.

Meh, I don't have a problem with expecting a playoff team to play defense

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to all the talk about not leaving it in the ref's hands? Was it the refs' fault the Saints were down 10 going into the 4th quarter? At some point it starts to feel like a self-fufilling prophecy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Youa re one of those come in after the fact kinda guys.

So is Cousins a good QB all of a sudden? Dalvin won that game for them. 

I'm not in either camp on Cousins. I'm in the camp that this forum is full of a lot very critical Doritos eaters who might not even know how to throw a football.

Then they disappear.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Diggs get the game ball?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

They haven’t overturned a TD with an after-the-fact offensive PI call ever, nor will they.  It was likely PI, but that’s not getting called there upon review.  Ever.  

There have been at least a couple this year, including the Vikings getting one called back against GB

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The General said:

Problem is they can't pick and choose how bad the infraction needs to be. It doesn't work. Just scrap it IMO. Refs are going to mess stuff up.

Just like PI itself, its always gonna be a judgment call and there's gonna be gray area cases, but that wasn't one of them.  I'd rather have a couple of questionable review judgment calls then no means to reverse egregious bad initial calls.   I'm a review fan in general though while I know other people aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Saints probably should have scored more than 20 in regulation.

Missed a 30ish yard fg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, barackdhouse said:

You mean those like 4 times he actually threw it?

Yeah, Cousins went 19-31 for 250 or so, whereas Tannehill went 8-15 for 72. My word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think if Seattle doesn't get a delay penalty at the 1 yard line or doesn't get tackled inches short NO doesn't even play this week.

This is like my one fantasy league I went 11-2 tied for best record in the league but I didn't get a bye because another team in my division was also 11-2 and won tie breaker.  I lost in the 1st round of the playoffs then blew up the last 2 weeks and would have won the championship had I got that bye.

Maybe NO would have gone on to win it this year had they got the bye unlike fantasy football you can't mythically play it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Lots of really stupid stuff happened when you think back on it...that Brees fumble was ridiculous, and Kamara had a number of bonehead plays

He needs to learn to step out of bounds late in games

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Just get rid of the pass int review.

FFS, between this and the Seattle game. Whats the point of having it? 

NFL is becoming a joke in itself. If not for fantasy we wouldnt watch most of this trash.

He clearly extended his arm when the ball was in the air and interfered with the defender.

What am I missing?

You can extend your arm and "interfere". You can't PUSH. I don't think there was conclusive pushing, I mean you gotta let them play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billmatic said:

There have been at least a couple this year, including the Vikings getting one called back against GB

That was PI on a player setting a pick.  Not on a push off that wasn’t called on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SayWhat? said:

That was PI on a player setting a pick.  Not on a push off that wasn’t called on the field.

A pick is still OPI, so I was just responding to the "They haven’t overturned a TD with an after-the-fact offensive PI call ever" comment. I agree though, a push off would likely have to involve weaponry to get a TD called back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass Interference on the defense is the dumbest penalty name in existence. Interfering with the other guys trying to make a catch is literally the whole point of playing the game

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

I'm not in either camp on Cousins. I'm in the camp that this forum is full of a lot very critical Doritos eaters who might not even know how to throw a football.

Then they disappear.

I love Doritos but I throw the 5-yard out like the love child of Montana and Brady.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Pass Interference on the defense is the dumbest penalty name in existence. Interfering with the other guys trying to make a catch is literally the whole point of playing the game

Huh. I'll allow it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

they will change it now....sean payton gonna bellyache all off season

this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Youa re one of those come in after the fact kinda guys.

So is Cousins a good QB all of a sudden? Dalvin won that game for them. 

And if you look at the actual “big” games that cousins has lost, his defense should gets credited for some of those. 
That’s kind of the point, it’s a stupid stat that people love to refer to. It’s a team game for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Pass Interference on the defense is the dumbest penalty name in existence. Interfering with the other guys trying to make a catch is literally the whole point of playing the game

It would also attract more wrestling fan to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Pass Interference on the defense is the dumbest penalty name in existence. Interfering with the other guys trying to make a catch is literally the whole point of playing the game

Interesting. So the DEF should be able to just blast a guy trying to make a catch? Tackle him, blast him, anything to stop the catch?

:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I love Doritos but I throw the 5-yard out like the love child of Montana and Brady.

The key is getting the ball out quick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I picked 4 vikes including the D/ST

And a couple Texans. All I’ve lost is NEP D/ST. 

One more week from my Vikings! :pickle:

You cant lose when your playing both sides of this thing I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Manster said:

GB is being forgotten as well......hell, most people were already pencilling in the saints over GB next week in Lambeau.....now GB gets winner of Philly and Seattle on the frozen tundra.....I'm glad I stocked up on GB players for playoff FF.

Yikes. I don't know about that. If anything, I thought the Packers would have had a better shot against the saints. January, in Green Bay, against a warm weather, dome team that hasn't traveled well in the past? I think they could've won that. But not against the seahawks or eagles. Philly already played there earlier this year and won...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Interesting. So the DEF should be able to just blast a guy trying to make a catch? Tackle him, blast him, anything to stop the catch?

:doh:

If you are the Eagles pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

Meh, I don't have a problem with expecting a playoff team to play defense

Just one of them, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Interesting. So the DEF should be able to just blast a guy trying to make a catch? Tackle him, blast him, anything to stop the catch?

:doh:

? I'm very confused, I dont think I said anything of the sort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Pass Interference on the defense is the dumbest penalty name in existence. Interfering with the other guys trying to make a catch is literally the whole point of playing the game

 

2 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

? I'm very confused, I dont think I said anything of the sort

:shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS already trying to start a no call controversy. Claiming Rudolph should have been called for offensive pass interference. Give me a flippin break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You let that matchup happen one on one you deserve to lose.  Small CBs will always get manhandled in that situation by big TEs. No call was the right call. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

That was an ugly game.   Saints played like crap.   Vikings deserved to win.   

Ultimately, this is the case.

Failed in almost every aspect of the game. Couldn't stop the run. Gave up big plays. Turnovers. Couldn't sustain drives. Didn't get the ball to playmakers quickly enough. Questionable play calling. And still almost won the game despite all of that.

Deserved loss, though. Vikings did exactly what they needed to do to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, IheartGuinness said:

Yikes. I don't know about that. If anything, I thought the Packers would have had a better shot against the saints. January, in Green Bay, against a warm weather, dome team that hasn't traveled well in the past? I think they could've won that. But not against the seahawks or eagles. Philly already played there earlier this year and won...

I'll take Rodgers and GB, at home, against either of these teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Pack said:

Interesting. So the DEF should be able to just blast a guy trying to make a catch? Tackle him, blast him, anything to stop the catch?

:doh:

He has an issue with the name of the penalty, not the penalty itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

He has an issue with the name of the penalty, not the penalty itself.

I have a problem with illegal touching...I mean, not me personally doing that...umm, never mind.

Also. Having a penalty called intentional grounding, yet allowing a qb to literally ground it intentionally to stop the clock has always been amusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Current NFL refs say that it shouldn’t have been flagged.

Well duh, current refs only want to protect their jobs and the shield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

I changed my mind. That was OPI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babydemon90 said:

You can extend your arm and "interfere". You can't PUSH. I don't think there was conclusive pushing, I mean you gotta let them play.

 

52 minutes ago, Heatman said:

CBS already trying to start a no call controversy. Claiming Rudolph should have been called for offensive pass interference. Give me a flippin break.

I disagree entirely with you both. No question there was conclusive pushing, the defender's entire posture changed (his head and chest going backwards) given the shove Rudolph gave him.

I literally don't have a single stake in either of these teams or the outcome of this game, and I still think Vikes deserved to win as NO simply didn't play anywhere near their potential and couldn't put the game away in any sense.

That said, I just don't like seeing games with this level of importance decided on a call that should have easily been made -- especially given all the unbelievable (and wrong) ticky/tacky PIs I've seen the refs badly call all year, and the league's feeble attempt to put ad nauseum replay into effect for the sake of fairness. And here, where it was fairly clear, they blow the call.

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The ex NFL referee they asked during the game said there was not enough to call it.

Also, earlier in the game on a third down play Rudolph was interfered with way more than that. It wasn't called either. Don't give me "crucial point in the game" every third down is a crucial point in a playoff game.

Edited by Heatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching the replay it was pretty clear it was OPI. That said there wasn’t enough to reverse it based on how reversals have been handled all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t call that in situation like that. It was pretty normal hand fighting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

 

I disagree entirely with you both. No question there was conclusive pushing, the defender's entire posture changed (his head and chest going backwards) given the shove Rudolph gave him.

I literally don't have a single stake in either of these teams or the outcome of this game, and I still think Vikes deserved to win as NO simply didn't play anywhere near their potential and couldn't put the game away in any sense.

That said, I just don't like seeing games with this level of importance decided on a call that should have easily been made -- especially given all the unbelievable (and wrong) ticky/tacky PIs I've seen the refs badly call all year, and the league's feeble attempt to put ad nauseum replay into effect for the sake of fairness. And here, where it was fairly clear, they blow the call.

While I appreciate your perspective I think it lacks some context.

The refs were not calling many penalties all game from my perspective. Earlier in the game Rudolph was held pretty obviously on a 3rd down. No call on the defense.

This is just one of many examples one could give of the refs consistently not calling the game very tight. If you are going to let defenders play physical in coverage then offensive players get to push and grab a hit too.

I looked it up and the NFL averages over one fewer penalties called on average in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

My point is if that is a non call that should have been then the same is true for plays that were not called throughout the game 

Rudolph did push off and obviously has a lot of advantages over the DB in that situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barackdhouse said:

Just one of them, though?

If the defense does its job that's a moot point. I don't see the big deal with the rule as it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biabreakable said:

While I appreciate your perspective I think it lacks some context.

The refs were not calling many penalties all game from my perspective. Earlier in the game Rudolph was held pretty obviously on a 3rd down. No call on the defense.

This is just one of many examples one could give of the refs consistently not calling the game very tight. If you are going to let defenders play physical in coverage then offensive players get to push and grab a hit too.

I looked it up and the NFL averages over one fewer penalties called on average in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

My point is if that is a non call that should have been then the same is true for plays that were not called throughout the game 

Rudolph did push off and obviously has a lot of advantages over the DB in that situation.

Fair points. But I don't think I've ever seen NFL refs approach NHL refs in their attempts to often "even out" calls that grant a team a power play. And in my eyes, I don't think it was a clear "no-call" nor was it just two guys hand-fighting as opposed to a play that clearly advantaged Rudolph to win a playoff game in overtime.

PI was specifically made reviewable this year. I guess I don't see how anyone reviewing that play could say the evidence wasn't there and/or wasn't clear enough to assess an OPI.   

Again, this game takes no skin off my nose whatsoever, I guess just don't like seeing games at this point in the season end so controversially (in my eyes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Fair points. But I don't think I've ever seen NFL refs approach NHL refs in their attempts to often "even out" calls that grant a team a power play. And in my eyes, I don't think it was a clear "no-call" nor was it just two guys hand-fighting as opposed to a play that clearly advantaged Rudolph to win a playoff game in overtime.

PI was specifically made reviewable this year. I guess I don't see how anyone reviewing that play could say the evidence wasn't there and/or wasn't clear enough to assess an OPI.   

Again, this game takes no skin off my nose whatsoever, I guess just don't like seeing games at this point in the season end so controversially (in my eyes).

I am not saying they should be doing make up calls.

I am just saying that they didn't call PI on several other plays during the game that with review were pretty clearly PI.

I think they were pretty consistent about not calling them the whole game. For them to change that under the circumstances would have been inconsistent with how they had been calling the whole game..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.