What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Sinatra, A Man & His Dog: Rest in peace Bosley (2005-2020) (1 Viewer)

Thanks to the FBG community for the kind words and thoughts. They mean a lot to me.

My daughter wanted Bosley to be cremated so we picked up his ashes today.  Like most things involving the dead in SF, this meant a trip to Colma, a small suburb just south of the city with around 1700 live inhabitants and remains of another 1.5 million.  The pet cemetery was a small lot overlooking a much larger facility for humans.  Mrs Eephus and I spent 10 minutes walking around after picking up Bosley's box.  It was strange at first to walk among the headstones for Boo Boo, Fluffy and Butchie but the place had a nice vibe to it--you could feel the love there.

I'll get back to Sinatra at some point but right now, he's not the guy I want to hear.

Bosley died on Sunday at 11:20 AM.  He was a good boy up to the end.  He'd had mostly had a peaceful Saturday but was under increasing distress during the night and following morning..  Thanks to the fine people at the SF SPCA for their compassion during a very emotional time.

If you've followed the Dylan and Sinatra threads you have some idea how much that little schmoe meant to me.  But I don't think I've ever written about how much he helped our family.  We got Bosley in 2007 when our kids were 11 and 15.  Raising teenagers in the 21st century is tough but being a teenager is even tougher.  I know we probably invest too much emotional depth to our pets but Bosley was always present to return affection.  He brought a lot of joy to all of us and served as a conversation starter to help keep open our family's lines of communication.

People with pets understand how much they insinuate themselves into our lives.  Boz required an increasing amount of care over the past year or so.  Last week we had to check on his whereabouts almost constantly whenever he was awake.  But now all that air has suddenly been let out of the balloon and the house is quiet.   I will miss our nightly walks as much as anything.  It gave me time to reflect and stay connected to the neighborhood.  I'll be able to pick the pace up considerably without him but it won't be the same.

In a cruel irony, Bosley died on my 60th birthday.  Nothing like getting a mortality check for a gift.  I moped around all day Sunday but needed to get out of the house yesterday to do something to mark the milestone and escape the emptiness .  My daughter took off work and she, Mrs Eephus and I went to a museum.  We ended up at a bar as you do which eventually became Bosley's informal wake. Somewhere during the story and picture sharing I brought out some of the posts from the Dylan thread.  I'm thankful I tacked on those paragraphs about Boz because they mean so much more than my struggles to describe the greatness of the artists.
So sorry - you gave him a great life I'm sure.

Sorry to hear about Bosley.  I will miss reading about him at the tail end of your posts.  The Dylan thread was a favorite of mine, both because I am a Dylan fan and I enjoyed Bosley’s daily antics.  He put a smile on my face, and I thank you for sharing him with us. 

God how I miss that little schmoe.  It would be so nice to pet a little furry critter right now.
Dang, Eephus. I hope everything is good with you and your loved ones.  We miss your nightly updates.  

I weirdly had something cross my mind and thought of a book title for you today.  San Francisco Nights:  From Flophouse To Dog's House in Time Flat

Heh. It was corny but just thinking of everyone on the board and the Dylan and Sinatra thread. 

Dang, Eephus. I hope everything is good with you and your loved ones.  We miss your nightly updates.  

I weirdly had something cross my mind and thought of a book title for you today.  San Francisco Nights:  From Flophouse To Dog's House in Time Flat

Heh. It was corny but just thinking of everyone on the board and the Dylan and Sinatra thread. 
I walked up and down some hills in the neighborhood today to get some tension out.  I wore a mask to placate Mrs. Eephus.   I've never seen the streets so quiet here; they probably haven't been like this since 1848.  Except there was still one crazy guy yelling about something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked up and down some hills in the neighborhood today to get some tension out.  I wore a mask to placate Mrs. Eephus.   I've never seen the streets so quiet here; they probably haven't been like this since 1848.  Except there was still one crazy guy yelling about something.
Eerie city quiets are strange. I lived in D.C. during 9/11 (I worked for a political think tank there that actually had "scholars" there that worked in the administration so things were on lockdown) and remember the strange quiet of the days and nights downtown. I was in no condition to really handle it al,l and I was leaving for the month to go home, but I remember my friend's birthday about two or three days or so after the tragedy. We went out that night and there was a candlelight vigil on the mall. All those candles lining the sidewalks and against the reflective pool were quite a sight. Cities on lockdown have almost a religiosity to them otherwise lost in hustles and bustles. Anyway, there was no crazy man yelling that night, nor were we there to heed his calls. 

I'll get back to Sinatra at some point but right now, he's not the guy I want to hear.

God how I miss that little schmoe.  It would be so nice to pet a little furry critter right now.
I relate to these too much. I still think about our Abbey who we lost in early-October every single day. And that's despite having another dog in the house when she passed and rescuing a second in the meantime (who is wonderful). For me, it's the National I can't listen to anymore. My wife loves them (as did I) and was playing them around the house during Abbey's last hours singing to her and trying to comfort her. Honestly I don't care if I ever hear one of their songs again. 

Northern Voice said:
I relate to these too much. I still think about our Abbey who we lost in early-October every single day. And that's despite having another dog in the house when she passed and rescuing a second in the meantime (who is wonderful). For me, it's the National I can't listen to anymore. My wife loves them (as did I) and was playing them around the house during Abbey's last hours singing to her and trying to comfort her. Honestly I don't care if I ever hear one of their songs again. 
You won't like my AOTY ballot :bag:

Composer/arranger Johnny Mandel died at age 91.  He arranged one Sinatra album, 1961's Ring a Ding Ding which I remembered I wrote about with Boz.  I had to check the thread to see if I liked it or not because January seems like about two years ago. 

Mandel's best known composition was The Shadow of Your Smile.  Sinatra performed it on his great Live at the Sands album.  It's a beautiful tune.

Watertown (1970)

Watertown may be the most unique album in Sinatra's large catalog.  He'd been one of the first artists to record concept albums using a selection of songs to fit a theme or mood but he takes it further with Watertown.  The collection is a true song cycle composed by Four Seasons member Bob Gaudio and commercial jingle writer Jake Holmes (his Wikipedia page is worth a look).  It's sung entirely in the first person with Sinatra playing an unnamed small town man whose wife Elizabeth leaves him and their two children to pursue a new life in the big city.

The songs reminded me of the Pop epics composed by Jimmy Webb during the same timeframe.  They haves a big LA 60s sound with little of the confident swing that Sinatra is known for.  Sinatra immerses himself in his cuckolded character and delivers vocals with a tenderness that conveys his enduring love.  I became invested in his story and the climax "The Train" delivers an emotional punch in the gut.  The current digital release tacks on a bonus track that serves as backstory for the wife but I like the original ending better.

Unfortunately the album was a commercial flop and Sinatra went back to recording material more in his traditional wheelhouse.  But its reputation has grown over the decades and it's definitely worth a 33 (or 37) minute spin to see a very different side of Sinatra.  To whet your appetite here's Michael & Peter which legitimately moved me.  The album cover is also special because Frank is nowhere to be seen..  It's a crappy sepiatone drawing the train station mentioned in the songs bookending the album.  I doubt the cover helped sales any.

If you listen to one album of the five so far, I'd recommend this one because it's so uncharacteristic of the singer.  Actually they've all been pretty decent.  The World We Knew was the least of them but it was still a hoot.  And there's always the voice.

Bosley was stumbling and bumbling today.  The first few steps after he wakes up are always tenuous but if he goes directly from in front of the heater to the sidewalk it's really an adventure.  We live on a hill so he usually lets gravity take over but he wasn't oriented the right way relative to the slope today.  He somehow managed to keep his balance.

I gave this one another spin because there was a new edition released recently with a new remaster and some demo session tracks.  The previous remaster has been removed from Spotify so there's no way to do A/B comparisons of the mixes. 

As I'm sure 2020 me mentioned, on the whole Sinatra's albums are beautifully recorded with top shelf production values.  The new remaster is very nice but I doubt it's a great leap forward.  None of the extras are essential but the 1970 radio spots are fun.

Watertown remains a strong Sinatra album, perhaps the last great one he recorded.  I do miss that dog though.

Users who are viewing this thread