What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McCarthy's impact on key Cowboys (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
Looks like Mike McCarthy will be the new HC in Dallas (per Schefter).  Since we only have 9 months until the season starts, we should probably start discussing how this will impact key FF contributors in Dallas.

Dak-MM got great QB numbers from his QBs when he was HC in GB, but that was Favre & Rodgers.  Will he be able to get the same results from Dak?  Will Jerry force McCarthy to keep Moore as OC?  If not, Dak will have to learn a new offense.  How similar is McCarthy's offense to what Dak's been running?

Zeke-Twitter & other FF message boards seems to indicate that Zeke will suffer under McCarthy, based upon Aaron Jones' performance under him.  What's MM's previous history with RBs look like? 

Cooper/Gallup (assuming Cooper is signed)-Driver, Jennings, Jordy, Adams all had great years for McCarthy.  How much was MM versus Favre & Rodgers, though?

Here are Green Bay's rushing stats for McCarthy's last four years in Green Bay (backwards from 2018):

Rushing yardage: 22nd, 17th, 20th, 12th

Rushing attempts: 32nd, 27th, 29th, 13th

but Zeke got paid all this money and he's better than Aaron Jones so who knows?

Zeke-Twitter & other FF message boards seems to indicate that Zeke will suffer under McCarthy, based upon Aaron Jones' performance under him.  What's MM's previous history with RBs look like? 
Eddie Lacy did well his first two years, but he turned fat and his performance dropped off.

A quote on reddit sums it up for me:

As a Packers fan, let me tell you what you've done here. You just traded Tahitian Vanilla for Madagascar Vanilla. Enjoy all the new variety.
After Rivera was fired, Bill Belichick told him that you know more the second time around. McCarthy can be better his second time around. 

Uninspiring hire.  I like the two different vanillas analogy.  This is a "win now with what we have" move....a "safe" move for the experienced, average coach.

MM always takes the high road, so you know he won't question Jerrah, at least not publicly, so Jerrah can continue his meddling and media crap.

The troubling part is Rodgers calling him out, and the reputation of a meh offense.......it just screams more mediocrity in Dallas....let's be honest, Dak is no Rodgers.

All that said, maybe MM has learned, and maybe he will understand how to utilize the offensive fire power the Cowboys have accumulated....cuz all things considered, Dallas has an above average offense.....and hopefully they keep the defensive coaches for continuity.

I have no idea what this will mean for FF

You guys really seem to not like the hire, that's one thing. But McCarthy has gone to great lengths to change his focus and pay more to analytics and trends since his firing. I was hoping the Giants would ink him or Ruhle to be their head coach and unfortunately the Cowboys moved just quick enough. Read the article with Peter King on how he spent his time away from coaching; one thing I would expect is the opposite of what you guys are preaching: a non-vanilla offense.

Packers in 2011 at 15-1 and 2012 at what 11-5 had a high-flying offense. It got stale or they moved away from it, who can say. 

As for McCarthy's use of backs which came first, the chicken or the egg.  Yes he used back by committee, but that is sort of what they had.

Packers had a lot of injuries every year under McCarthy.  I don't know if it was his program, but there it was, every stinking year.

McCarthy always took the high road.  I liked that.

He screwed the pooch against Seattle, allowing one of the epic playoff meltdowns.

I think he will do well.  Not great, but well.  Slight upgrade from Garrett.

Yeah Lacy had a couple of nice years under McCarthy.  MM abandoned the run early because he didn't have a horse like Zeke and also had the best QB in the league.  I think this is a good hire for the Cowboys in terms of development for Dak.  I don't think Zeke suffers as much as some think.

I don't think McCarthy is dumb as he's more stubborn.  He refused to adjust to the modern NFL and his offenses the last couple of years in GB suffered as a result. He's not the smartest coach but he's not the dumbest either cough, cough Bill O'Brien for example.  It was time for him to go in GB as he lost the locker room and Rodgers, in particular.  Both have a bunch of blame for that.  I wish MM the best and hopefully he learned from his mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Frankman said:
You guys really seem to not like the hire, that's one thing. But McCarthy has gone to great lengths to change his focus and pay more to analytics and trends since his firing. I was hoping the Giants would ink him or Ruhle to be their head coach and unfortunately the Cowboys moved just quick enough. Read the article with Peter King on how he spent his time away from coaching; one thing I would expect is the opposite of what you guys are preaching: a non-vanilla offense.
Very interesting read.  Thanks for posting!  

I think a pareto analysis is warranted here.

The majority of feedback here is that McCarthy is not creative schematically.

The Cowboys issue is culture not scheme.  So the question is whether or not McCarthy can affect culture.

If McCarthy comes in an installs stale 2012 west coast, and doesn't address culture, the Cowboys will remain mediocre.

For the sake of Cowboys fans, I'd like to see McCarthy blow up the roster.

For those who say McCarthy was never innovative I do note that he was among the first to adopt player GPS tracking in Camp to monitor workloads and was an early acceptor of yoga as a form of injury prevention.  I also trace the now common trend of deferring the opening half kickoff to the second half to him.  He is not a major innovator, but he is not totally staid either.  I wish him well.  Decent coach and a decent guy.

The Frankman said:
Read that when it came out and it says precisely what one needs to know about McCarthy - entirely incurious about other people's strategy when the whole point of coaching is beating the other guy, but a veritable sponge of new-age, butthole-tanning, data madness when the career's at stake.

simey said:
After Rivera was fired, Bill Belichick told him that you know more the second time around. McCarthy can be better his second time around. 
And Pete Carroll coached both the Jets and the Patriots.  He seems to be a better coach now.

From Peter King article -  

"One last point: Is it not interesting to you, or glass-ceiling-breaking, that McCarthy, in his next organization (if there is one) wants to create a 14-person Football Technology Department, has found new plays to add to his playbook by watching every snap of 2019 football, or wants to hire two coaches who would exclusively study trends and propose ideas during the season that position coaches and McCarthy do not have time to look for?"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/nfl-wild-card-tom-brady-fmia-peter-king/?cid=rotoworld

I don't think it's a terrible hire.  It's safe.  I do think that he is behind the times and not innovative in his offense, but as long as you have a good OC, and that you let your OC do the game plans, then that shouldn't be an issue. 

Here are the team rankings under MM in terms of Top 10 outcomes:

Top 10 in Points Scored:
- NOS twice
- GBP 9 times

Top 10 in Rushing Yards
- NOS once
- GBP once

Top 10 in Passing Yards
- NOS twice
- GBP 11 times

I like how everyone who says he is behind the times and not innovative in the past missed the point where McCarthy kinda admitted that and over the last year has thrown himself into improving himself and has actively created a staff to research ways to make his play-calling more innovative/analytically driven. Assuming he's not blowing hot air (and kinda hard to say he is), the past Mike McCarthy isn't the same dude as current Mike McCarthy.

I like how everyone who says he is behind the times and not innovative in the past missed the point where McCarthy kinda admitted that and over the last year has thrown himself into improving himself and has actively created a staff to research ways to make his play-calling more innovative/analytically driven. Assuming he's not blowing hot air (and kinda hard to say he is), the past Mike McCarthy isn't the same dude as current Mike McCarthy.
While I agree, I will say this: analytics will help a coach make the right decision, but cannot help with creativity. You've got to come up with plays on your own. Hopefully McCarthy realized his limitations and hires somebody innovative. It sounds like he's headed in the right direction, I'll give him that.

Sshhhhh

Here are the team rankings under MM in terms of Top 10 outcomes:

Top 10 in Points Scored:
- NOS twice
- GBP 9 times

Top 10 in Rushing Yards
- NOS once
- GBP once

Top 10 in Passing Yards
- NOS twice
- GBP 11 times
The thing here however is that he had Favre and Rodgers running the offense and these guys did NOT always run what he called. Favre went off script all the time and his example wore off on Rodgers as well.

I believe these two guys were a large percentage of the success of the offense not the coach.

I think Dakota is a pretty good QB so it will be interesting to see how well he does.I am guessing not as successful as the contrast being shown in your post.

I’m sure he will do a great job getting up to speed on the analytics that were innovative the past 5 years.  And then 5 years from now, when he gets fired again, he will focus on getting up to speed on the innovations other coaches explore during the years 2020-2025.

If he keeps Kellen Moore AND lets him call plays. I expect much of the same as this year. Outside of his blunder with Aaron Jones (not like he was seeing 20 carries every game this year p.s. just finally volume in the passing game and a lot of TD’s) his RB’s were Eddie Lacy and Ryan Grant when he loaded someone up with >250 carries. Zeke is better than them and the OLine will remain intact. Much ado about nothing in terms of trying to say 1) Zeke will have a massive drop or 2) Pollard will have some massive increase in PT.

Dr. Dan said:
Get ready for the most vanilla, incredibly predictable offense in the NFL

IMO this hurts Zeke the most. The passing game will actually be about the same, but McCarthy has a tendency to completely abandon the run way too soon, and he for some reason went completely away from screens in the later 50% of his tenure in GB

The quick slant also kind of went away, then came back for a season, then went away again. That was bread and butter in GB for a long time with Favre and Rodgers. Maybe he brings that back for Dak and company. 

It's a good match, but I don't see him being a big upgrade. More of the same IMO
That's a problem area for Dak, IMO.  He always seems to throw behind receivers on crossing routes, makes them break their momentum reaching back for the ball.  Could just be my impression.

From Peter King article -  

"One last point: Is it not interesting to you, or glass-ceiling-breaking, that McCarthy, in his next organization (if there is one) wants to create a 14-person Football Technology Department, has found new plays to add to his playbook by watching every snap of 2019 football, or wants to hire two coaches who would exclusively study trends and propose ideas during the season that position coaches and McCarthy do not have time to look for?"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/nfl-wild-card-tom-brady-fmia-peter-king/?cid=rotoworld
#everyFBGpolisheshisresumé

if your league gives points for missed fifty yard bombs on third and one then i would draft literally any wr on the cowboys roster take that to the bank bromigos 

Just reading through the blurbs in the coaching changes thread it sounds like McCarthy isn't willing to give up play calling duties and that OC Moore may not want to stay with the team because of that, although McCarthy is open to retaining him.

If McCarthy thinks he needs to call the plays that cuts off his OC opportunity to make more of a name for themselves.

At least he can take all of the credit/blame for how things go since he is calling the plays though.

Maybe Dak will buy in to what McCarthy wants to do and its a good fit? I don't know.

Why blow up the roster?  Dallas was top ten in offense and had the potential for top ten in defense.  Their issue was coaching.
These full season rankings can be/are pretty misleading.

This "top 10" offense was awfully low scoring in those last 5-6 games against the better teams.  If I recall they blew up against the Rams, but scored 9 points or so in 3 of the 4 losses that had playoff implications?  I think they scored against the Bears, but nothing special?

eta- also the regular season rankings give credit for that sham of a game week 17.

etaa - they averaged 14.8 points in the 4 losses.

i am looking forward to him having dax throw 50 yards bomb attempts on 3rd down and 1 like he did with rogers take that to the bank brohans 
I think that's more on the Rog than it is on Mr. Mike brohan
i will not hear anyone who attempts to besmirch a a ron that brohan is one of the best qbs and is in fact one of the best humans to ever walk the planet so i say good day to you sir take that to the bank bromigo 

i will not hear anyone who attempts to besmirch a a ron that brohan is one of the best qbs and is in fact one of the best humans to ever walk the planet so i say good day to you sir take that to the bank bromigo 
I agree with your posting except for the statement that he walks the planet.  He bestrides it, he stomps on the terra.

These full season rankings can be/are pretty misleading.

This "top 10" offense was awfully low scoring in those last 5-6 games against the better teams.  If I recall they blew up against the Rams, but scored 9 points or so in 3 of the 4 losses that had playoff implications?  I think they scored against the Bears, but nothing special?

eta- also the regular season rankings give credit for that sham of a game week 17.

etaa - they averaged 14.8 points in the 4 losses.
Again, I argue this is a coaching issue and not a player issue.

Again, I argue this is a coaching issue and not a player issue.
The same coach and players had the #1 offense in the league the first half.

Dak not being able to hit the broad side of a barn may or may not be a coaching issue.

The same coach and players had the #1 offense in the league the first half.

Dak not being able to hit the broad side of a barn may or may not be a coaching issue.
Dak had a busted throwing shoulder during the end of the season.  But the coaches didn't account for that when game planning.

Dak had a busted throwing shoulder during the end of the season.  But the coaches didn't account for that when game planning.
Dak has missed the broad side of the barn his entire career.  I have yet to see an NFL coach game plan/account for that.

Users who are viewing this thread