What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Jadeveon Clowney be suspended vs Green Bay? Entire Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Would you suspend Clowney if you were the NFL Commish

• Yes

Votes: 56 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 98 51.9%
  • "I think you got bananas in your pancakes" MOP

Votes: 35 18.5%

• Total voters

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I felt robbed as an NFL fan yesterday in the last Wildcard game after so much fun watching all the other ones. I have heard a lot of talking heads on the radio and sports shows saying it was a dirty hit I've watched a few times and the bottom line is Clowney was leading with the crown of his helmet.  I'm not going to go as far as to say Clowney was trying to knock him out of the game but he was leading with the crown from behind and that's a major foul now in the NFL and has been for a few years now so I have to go by the current NFL rules which change depending on the wind direction. I could go on and on about how uncomfortable it is watching the end of most NFL games when they are close but I want to stay on topic here. 

Clowney led with the crown of his helmet, anyone who can watch that video and not agree with that premise might want to make an eye appointment with their doctor. I'm saying that because I am not trying to have a debate whether it was clean or dirty, the facts are the facts and just because the referee didn't call it doesn't mean it didn't occur, video evidence overwhelmingly backs those who say he led with the crown.

Doesn't Goodell have an obligation to suspend Clowney? He knocked out one of the 32 most important players in the NFL and it hurts the brand or shield which is Goodell's only concern most of the time. Vote your conscience. 

No, and the OP was left unread and merely skimmed. It's as bad as the schtick in the game thread
What did I write that isn't true? Most talking heads today think Clowney got away with a dirty hit but Goodell has suspended guys that didn't even get flagged so this not unprecedented. And I'm merely saying that it's not really up for debate what he did. I'm not going after any Seattle fans who have been fairly quiet about it, I'm not trying to get inside Clowney's head, I'm simply saying that it's pretty black and white. Since that's the case, Goodell needs to step in and do something immediately. 

Also there is a signature campaign actively happening in Philly right now, I expect there to be something out of the NFL offices by tomorrow. Or I guess they could just say nothing and hide behind their desks.  

I will add that as the topic is written and I am commissioner the last thing I want to do is suspend star players from playoff games. A fine is probably in order. I would maybe suspend him a game if it was the regular season. I would not suspend him from a playoff game.

Packer fan, and I cannot get there.  Fine with me if they did, of course, but I won't call for it.  Now if he farts out of turn next week I have no problem with him being tossed, but as of right now, I just cannot get there.

I tuned in after the play.  I didn't see it live.  Same as when Miles Garrett got into it with Rudolph.  Interesting how seeing things live colors your perception.  In replay, I saw the QB down on the ground, making no attempt to move, and Clowney "putting a hit" on him.  The only reason for that is to hurt him.  (note "hurt" <> "injure")  In the case of Garrett, people went ballistic because Garrett "ripped his helmet off & attacked him with it".  It was an immediate, emotional response.  Neglected was the fact that the helmet swinging was a separate event precipitated by Rudolph's re-engaging after Garrett had been pushed back 5-10 steps.  Live vs replay:  interesting topic.

Remember when the NFL pretended they were going to flag anyone leading with the helmet, even RBs carrying the football?
If RBs couldn't lower their heads, their career expectancy would drop to about half of what is is now.  That one was perplexing, even for the NFL.

I thought it was fine as a no call . . . so a suspension would be overkill and unwarranted. Not every hit on every play can be fully regulated. It was a bang bang play and Clowney's helmet happened to contact Wentz' helmet. Clowney led with his shoulder and was going to hit Wentz in the back. At the last second, Wentz' back and shoulder dip and his head elevates slightly.

That caused Clowney to hit him in the helmet instead of the back / shoulder. Both players momentum were heading away from the LOS and both were on their way down to the ground . . . that's a lot different than the two of them running directly at each other. Playing it in slow motion doesn't do the play justice, as in real time I don't think there was anything Clowney could have done differently. Clowney had already left his feet . . . how was he supposed to be able to predict the exact positioning Wentz would end up in?

If anything, I put more blame on Wentz. If you don't want to get hit, then slide like you are supposed to when by rule you can't get hit. He became a runner by going head first, so he lost the protection of being a QB and sliding to avoid contact. It's unfortunate that he got knocked out, but football is still a full contact game (well, sometimes).

Last edited by a moderator:
He did lead with his head. Probably worth a fine and a one game suspension given the current version of the NFL. 
Blatant cheap shot.  You see players avoid making these types of hits all the time.  NFL won't do anything of course because it was Wentz and not one of their marquee, protected class QBs. 

Love how Clowney is making himself the victim.  Those horrible Philly fans will be threatening his life 🙄

Watched the game live at a brewery with a dozen other people intensely observing the game.  During the live play, not one person noticed head to head contact, or had a clue that Wentz was hurt.  Only on the slow motion replay, and mainly the second one,  could you see the impact of Wentz's head going into the ground after helmet to helmet.  It warranted a flag; but happened so fast the refs missed it.  I've seen numerous other roughing plays that were more egregious missed.  I could see a minor fine; nothing more than that. 

There are definitely missed calls just about every game that are more obvious than that but those plays didn’t result in a team losing their starting QB in a playoff game.  And given the culprit, should we really give him the benefit of doubt?

I tuned in after the play.  I didn't see it live.  Same as when Miles Garrett got into it with Rudolph.  Interesting how seeing things live colors your perception.  In replay, I saw the QB down on the ground, making no attempt to move, and Clowney "putting a hit" on him.  The only reason for that is to hurt him.  (note "hurt" <> "injure")  In the case of Garrett, people went ballistic because Garrett "ripped his helmet off & attacked him with it".  It was an immediate, emotional response.  Neglected was the fact that the helmet swinging was a separate event precipitated by Rudolph's re-engaging after Garrett had been pushed back 5-10 steps.  Live vs replay:  interesting topic.
I won't get into the details of what precipitated Garrett's attack on Rudolph because a player that rips the helmet from an opponent's head and strikes him with it should be suspended no matter what the excuse.

I won't get into the details of what precipitated Garrett's attack on Rudolph because a player that rips the helmet from an opponent's head and strikes him with it should be suspended no matter what the excuse.
and that's what I'm saying!

Yes he should be suspended. He should have been ejected from the game yesterday. If the roles were reversed and Barnett targeted Wilson s head and bounced it off the turf like that, Barnett would have been gone and 15 yards. Instead it's Wentz so he gets nothing. 

NFL is a ####### joke.

Yes he should be suspended. He should have been ejected from the game yesterday. If the roles were reversed and Barnett targeted Wilson s head and bounced it off the turf like that, Barnett would have been gone and 15 yards. Instead it's Wentz so he gets nothing. 

NFL is a ####### joke.
I'm curious why you think the bolded is true. Do you think games are rigged against Philly? That Goodell hates Wentz? Or that he's having a love affair with Clowney?

Based on what I read in many team threads here, pretty much everyone here thinks the NFL hates the team they root for. 

Blatant cheap shot.  You see players avoid making these types of hits all the time.  NFL won't do anything of course because it was Wentz and not one of their marquee, protected class QBs. 

Love how Clowney is making himself the victim.  Those horrible Philly fans will be threatening his life 🙄
Are the Philly fans promising to "do him Santa style"?  How can he not fear for his life?  I mean its not as if he got out of the stadium without incident, or is it?

I'm curious why you think the bolded is true. Do you think games are rigged against Philly? That Goodell hates Wentz? Or that he's having a love affair with Clowney?

Based on what I read in many team threads here, pretty much everyone here thinks the NFL hates the team they root for. 
I don't think its a personal vengeance on our team or any conspiracy, just inconsistencies based on the player.  Maybe the ref didn't blatantly not call that (but he certainly blatantly defended himself after the game), but I do think maybe they're looking a little closer for it on certain players.  If someone took Wilson out, I'm not sure they would have been EJECTED, but that certainly would have been called. 

And if Philly won the game vs Seattle's backup QB, the front news page EVERYWHERE would be how the Eagles made a dirty play to take the best player out of the game and that was why they won.   I have no doubts on that.

No. Maybe a fine but no suspension

Largely because I don't want anyone suspended for playoff games unless it's truly aggregious. 

Are the Philly fans promising to "do him Santa style"?  How can he not fear for his life?  I mean its not as if he got out of the stadium without incident, or is it?
This is what's wrong with it.  Instead of discussing a dirty hit that would be front page if it happened to Wilson, the story is how the guy who made the hit feels unsafe?!  Are you ####### kidding me?

This is what's wrong with it.  Instead of discussing a dirty hit that would be front page if it happened to Wilson, the story is how the guy who made the hit feels unsafe?!  Are you ####### kidding me?
Well you guys are pretty harsh.  Seems to me, if my memory is not faulty, that you sent 11879 Viking fans to the hospital with major burns, lost limbs, and severely hurt feelings when they came to your town two years ago for a playoff game and did not treat the Rocky statue with proper respect.  One can only imagine what might have happened had they disrespected the Flyers or Ben Franklin.  Savages, the whole lot of you!

I can see the police report now.

Clowney:  Yes Officer, I was attacked by 8 or ten guys who looked like extras from the Sopranos or Luigi form Super Mario.  They all were wearing Zubaz, smelled like a cheese steak, and were wielding D cell batteries.  Had they not been distracted by Santa coming on by I could have been seriously injured.

Well you guys are pretty harsh.  Seems to me, if my memory is not faulty, that you sent 11879 Viking fans to the hospital with major burns, lost limbs, and severely hurt feelings when they came to your town two years ago for a playoff game and did not treat the Rocky statue with proper respect.  One can only imagine what might have happened had they disrespected the Flyers or Ben Franklin.  Savages, the whole lot of you!
Again, all this stuff is so exaggerated.  The Santa was a drunk dude that put on the costume.  And there are many videos of Vikings fans assaulting Eagles fans too.  There's bad fans everywhere and video's of bad fans on youtube for every single team.  Still, the fact that the perpetrator is the one getting the sympathy here is just asinine. 

I don't think its a personal vengeance on our team or any conspiracy, just inconsistencies based on the player.  Maybe the ref didn't blatantly not call that (but he certainly blatantly defended himself after the game), but I do think maybe they're looking a little closer for it on certain players.  If someone took Wilson out, I'm not sure they would have been EJECTED, but that certainly would have been called. 

And if Philly won the game vs Seattle's backup QB, the front news page EVERYWHERE would be how the Eagles made a dirty play to take the best player out of the game and that was why they won.   I have no doubts on that.
Regarding your first paragraph, I’m curious what list of QBs you believe get a preferential calls and what are the criteria for them to reach that “status”.  I’m not trying to be combative as I think you may have a point.  I’m just wondering how someone like Wentz gets that status.  Does he have to win a super bowl?  I completely agree with your second paragraph 

I don't think the Eagles are cared about as much nationally as you seem to think they are.

Anyway, carry on in your martyrdom. Seahawk fans are still #####ing about the Pittsburgh SB. 

Again, all this stuff is so exaggerated.  The Santa was a drunk dude that put on the costume.  And there are many videos of Vikings fans assaulting Eagles fans too.  There's bad fans everywhere and video's of bad fans on youtube for every single team.  Still, the fact that the perpetrator is the one getting the sympathy here is just asinine. 
He’s just messing with you. :lol:  

Regarding your first paragraph, I’m curious what list of QBs you believe get a preferential calls and what are the criteria for them to reach that “status”.  I’m not trying to be combative as I think you may have a point.  I’m just wondering how someone like Wentz gets that status.  Does he have to win a super bowl?  I completely agree with your second paragraph 
I'm not sure it's a 'list'.  Like I don't think a ref is like "it's Tom Brady, give him that call" vs "Nah it's just Carson, let's not call it".  I just think maybe the refs are watching the head of higher profile guys a little closer.  Carson gets smoked in the head a lot without flags, it's weird. 

I don't think the Eagles are cared about as much nationally as you seem to think they are.

Anyway, carry on in your martyrdom. Seahawk fans are still #####ing about the Pittsburgh SB. 
But there IS a national narrative on Eagles fans because of a few incidents (e.g batteries and Santa).  That’s real 

OK front news page was hyperbole. 

I'm saying the hit would be a BIGGER sports story across many media forms, if Wilson was knocked out 8 plays in and Seattle lost.

He’s just messing with you. :lol:  
I guess I should have let a bit more time lapse before playing around. Emotions may be a bit too raw right now for humor.  Sorry Daemon and all other Eagle fans.  I was just having a goof.  Should not have happened.  Should not have lost your Q.B. to such a hit.  I have experienced losing mine to such and it does indeed suck.

I have often thought that in addition to suspension in the next game that a player that puts another out on an illegal hit should have to sit out until the injured player returns, plus he should have to sit out the next time those teams face, if still on the roster.  The way it is currently constituted the remediation goes to an uninvolved team, the next week's opponent, and not to the offended team.

I'm saying the hit would be a BIGGER sports story across many media forms, if Wilson was knocked out 8 plays in and Seattle lost.
Of course.   

Wilson is one of the NFLs media darlings, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  Guy seems like a total media whore with no cool factor.  He bursts into Metcalf's interview like he couldn't stand anyone else getting some face time.  Wilson then goes in for a hug after his interview.  Really awkward moment for the reporter. 

Wait what?

I am a Philly boy from way back... And I don't think it was illegal (yes, he led with his crown), but so do 70% of tacklers.  The problem is it hit the back of Wentz's helmet.  

It was not dirty, it was not cheap.  It was bang-bang and the redirection due to the first tackler resulted in the head hit.    Fine - Sure.  Suspension - not how I see it. 

I sure miss interacting in game threads. Now, there's no point. I looked at the SEA@PHI game thread a few times and just didn't bother. This thread is more of the same. It very well may be that the tone of the threads haven't changed, but I have. 

I am a Philly boy from way back... And I don't think it was illegal (yes, he led with his crown), but so do 70% of tacklers.  The problem is it hit the back of Wentz's helmet.  

It was not dirty, it was not cheap.  It was bang-bang and the redirection due to the first tackler resulted in the head hit.    Fine - Sure.  Suspension - not how I see it. 
Thanks. I'm glad there are some Philly fans that aren't trapped in glass cases of emotion. It gives me hope. 

Users who are viewing this thread