What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reality show contestant possibly cheats on DraftKings...UPDATE Draftkings strips Bachelor contestant of 1M prize (1 Viewer)

Nipsey

Footballguy
Anyone see this? I'd post it in the DFS forum but nobody goes there.

https://www.usbets.com/jade-roper-bachelor-draftkings-collusion/

Bachelor Star Wins $1 Million On DraftKings, Collusion Allegations Fly

It’s the most … dramatic … Millionaire … Maker … ever.

And now the daily fantasy sports community is sniffing this final rose, and something doesn’t smell right.

Jade Roper Tolbert, a former contestant on the reality series The Bachelor, finished first in DraftKings’ massive $20 buy-in GPP (guaranteed prize pool) tournament for the wild-card round of the NFL playoffs, collecting a cool million bucks. What seemed at first glance like a feel-good story and a jolt of positive publicity for the DFS industry quickly turned, however, into a major controversy.

Roper Tolbert is married to former Bachelorette contestant Tanner Tolbert — they met in 2016 on Bachelor in Paradise and now have two kids — and whereas DraftKings rules allow players to enter the Milly Maker up to 150 times, allegations of collusion are flying after internet sleuths noticed that both Tolberts entered 150 lineups and certain patterns to their respective lineup builds suggest a couple coordinating to generate 300 unique entries.
The article goes on to include this tweet that shows lineup data that looks like obvious collusion.

https://twitter.com/williambierman/status/1214015801721868288

Wonder how many other people are doing this? So rigged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see this? I'd post it in the DFS forum but nobody goes there.

https://www.usbets.com/jade-roper-bachelor-draftkings-collusion/

The article goes on to include this tweet that shows lineup data that looks like obvious collusion.

https://twitter.com/williambierman/status/1214015801721868288

Wouldn't they take the possibility of married couples colluding into account when making their 150 entry rule?  Honestly I don't even consider this collusion.

Wouldn't they take the possibility of married couples colluding into account when making their 150 entry rule?  Honestly I don't even consider this collusion.
He's playing one set of qb's she's playing the other. It's the definition of collusion imo. They have to have software to see this happening. If they don't  what would stop a syndicate from max entering and splitting the money? 10 guys, 1500 lineups.

The rules? I would assume they had software to protect the field against obvious collusion.
It would seem they don't though.  It would be much harder to track down 10 random people colluding than it would a married couple wouldn't you think?

It would seem they don't though.  It would be much harder to track down 10 random people colluding than it would a married couple wouldn't you think?
I think it would be just as simple. They have the lineups. Just look at all the people max entering or entering a bunch of lineups over the course of a few weeks. Obvious patterns would emerge. I assume they have some security software that combs over data and finds irregularities like any gambling site would.

I think it would be just as simple. They have the lineups. Just look at all the people max entering or entering a bunch of lineups over the course of a few weeks. Obvious patterns would emerge. I assume they have some security software that combs over data and finds irregularities like any gambling site would.
Then why did it take "internet sleuths" to figure it out?

Great question. I don't know. It just happened. Will be interesting to see how DK handles it. Rules were clearly broken.

"Team-building complementary lineups which serve to work together AND executing a strategy that may create any unfair advantage over individual play. (Example A: You and 2 of your friends coordinate the makeup of the lineups you build AND coordinate which contests you enter using them.)"

I'm only playing single entry contests now. I guess you could still have collusion teams of players each entering one coordinated lineup. Sigh...just when it was getting fun.

Allowing 150 entries seems crazy to me to begin with. Obviously having a 300 entries would increase your odds of winning but doesn’t guarantee it. While I guess technically it might be against the rules, it seems like draft kings had a system set up to be taken advantage of and pretty easily at that. 

At what point is the game rigged? 150 entries seems extremely arbitrary to me. What if the rule was 75 and the husband and wife combine for 150 entries? I guess what I’m getting at is, is there a mathematical number that they know would tip the advantage?

Great question. I don't know. It just happened. Will be interesting to see how DK handles it. Rules were clearly broken.

"Team-building complementary lineups which serve to work together AND executing a strategy that may create any unfair advantage over individual play. (Example A: You and 2 of your friends coordinate the makeup of the lineups you build AND coordinate which contests you enter using them.)"
You probably should have lead with this piece of info

If that is the rules than I change my mind a little

At what point is the game rigged? 150 entries seems extremely arbitrary to me. What if the rule was 75 and the husband and wife combine for 150 entries? I guess what I’m getting at is, is there a mathematical number that they know would tip the advantage?
If you have 10 lineups and I have 11 I have an advantage. Not as big as 150/300 but still an advantage. Beyond that they colluded.

Look at the lineups. 150 lineups each and all unique? He's on one set of qb's, she's on the other. What a coincidence.
Is there a no collusion rule in this contest? I’m guessing no because how can they police 300MM people against collusion?  I bet there’s a whole groups of people colluding in these contests entering thousands of lineups all with the same pool of money.  Non story imo and I play those big DFS tournaments every week. 

Because DraftKings doesn’t actually care up until other bettors figure it out and they risk losing customers. If nobody ever figures out how much cheating/how little chance the average person has of actually winning then they can keep raking in the money.

But when the curtain gets lifted and people start to get angry because they realize they never really had a shot, then DraftKings has to pretend they care.

Is there a no collusion rule in this contest? I’m guessing no because how can they police 300MM people against collusion?  I bet there’s a whole groups of people colluding in these contests entering thousands of lineups all with the same pool of money.  Non story imo and I play those big DFS tournaments every week. 
Of course there's a no collusion rule! I guess I was naive but I assumed the sites had software to police this kind of thing. If you have syndicates entering thousands of lineups and splitting the winnings that'd be a pretty huge deal. Major investigations would ensue.

Best part:

“On Sunday night, Jade Tolbert tweeted, “Hahaha that’s me! Tanner told me I shouldn’t play DK Metcalf! 🤣🤪” in response to a screenshot of the tournament’s final standings. Twitter sleuths quickly uncovered that Jade had used Metcalf in 88% of her lineups, while Tanner had Metcalf in 78% of his lineups.”

Of course there's a no collusion rule! I guess I was naive but I assumed the sites had software to police this kind of thing. If you have syndicates entering thousands of lineups and splitting the winnings that'd be a pretty huge deal. Major investigations would ensue.
I’m confused on how they can enforce a no collusion rule in a nationwide contest with a few hundred thousand entrants. I assumed that wasn’t a rule. Seems silly to have that rule unless you can absolutely enforce it!!

Ok. Well that obviously changes things for me. I just assumed there was no collusion rule because it would be impossible to monitor and enforce. Looks like I was right! They can’t enforce it. 
They can and do enforce it. They've banned accounts and rescinded prizes.

They can and do enforce it. They've banned accounts and rescinded prizes.
Well, they missed big on this one and they’re married!!  Convince me that they’re enforcing it and catching it among friends or gambling groups. I highly doubt they are if they can’t even catch collusion from the same household. 

From the website:

...conduct that would be deemed improper also includes, but is not limited to:

-Colluding with any other individual(s) or engaging in any type of syndicate play

Users further acknowledge that the forfeiture and/or return of any prize shall in no way prevent DraftKings from pursuing criminal or civil proceedings in connection with such conduct.

Maybe limit the number of entries to a lot less than 150 and swing the statistics out of their favor? Esp in weekends when there are only 8 NFL teams playing. 

150 entries seems excessive in any situation. 

Well, they missed big on this one and they’re married!!  Convince me that they’re enforcing it and catching it among friends or gambling groups. I highly doubt they are if they can’t even catch collusion from the same household. 
You said it was impossible for them to monitor and enforce collusion. Of course they're not catching everything.

Maybe limit the number of entries to a lot less than 150 and swing the statistics out of their favor? Esp in weekends when there are only 8 NFL teams playing. 

No big first prize if they do that.

how else are you going to grow the pot if you limit the number of entries?   I am not sure how easy it is to spot collusion with the thousands of entries, unless of course you advertise it on twitter. Idiot deserves to lose. 

You said it was impossible for them to monitor and enforce collusion. Of course they're not catching everything.
I wonder what they have caught.  I’m not arguing with you. If it seems like I am I apologize for poor communication. I’m just still shocked that they can enforce a rule like that and my cynical nature tells me if they have caught anyone it’s probably just for show to make it look like they’re doing their job.

I guess I dont see what the issue is.  Nothing stopping a group of us doing the same thing - what does it matter if they used 1 qb or 26 for lineups? 

so then don't complain about the potential to rig it? 🤷‍♂️

If you are going to have rules and the person who wins is technically within the rules then good for him
He's not within the rules! He/they broke them.

UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIORS

Group play behavior designed to gain an unfair advantage over others:

Team-building complementary lineups which serve to work together AND executing a strategy that may create any unfair advantage over individual play.

Example A: You and 2 of your friends coordinate the makeup of the lineups you build AND coordinate which contests you enter using them.

Example B: You and a group of friends collaborate in NFL contests to each draft different QBs and WRs, to guarantee you aren't competing as directly with each other.

Entering the maximum number of entries in a contest, type of contest, or event, and having a 3rd party, regardless of their relationship, put in additional entries for you.

Example: A contest has a maximum of 10 entries. You put in 10 entries but want to play more so you give your friend 10 additional lineups to play in the contest.

Users who are viewing this thread