What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Varying degrees of dumb (1 Viewer)

Hastur

Footballguy
What type of order would you put these dumb beliefs in?  Number 1 is the absolute dumbest, #2 is second dumbest, etc.  Let's stick to the choices I have laid out so we don't devolve into a screaming match about politics, religion, sex, etc...

In no particular order:

• Anti-vaxxers
  • Flat-earthers
  • People who believe in pychics, tarot reading, palm reading, etc.
  • Young earthers(a bit of a stretch, as this technically is religious based.  I'm going to allow it, as 99% of religious folks think these people are idiots)
  • Chem trails

What type of order would you put these dumb beliefs in?  Number 1 is the absolute dumbest, #2 is second dumbest, etc.  Let's stick to the choices I have laid out so we don't devolve into a screaming match about politics, religion, sex, etc...

In no particular order:

• Anti-vaxxers
  • Flat-earthers
  • Young earthers(a bit of a stretch, as this technically is religious based.  I'm going to allow it, as 99% of religious folks think these people are idiots)
  • Chem trails
All of the above are in the same category. Religious stupidity doesn’t get a pass just because it’s religion. Believing in young earth is stupid. 

I feel bad for anti-vaxxers b/c they genuinely want what's best for their kids and most probably put more time and effort into raising their kids then a lot of people, but they're a little misguided and a lot distrustful of the system.  My wife had some of those tendencies.   She wouldn't let our kids use fluoride toothpaste b/c apparently there were some studies that showed its adverse affect on IQ.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't want to be the man saying that stuff that he can't actually prove "wrong" is "dumb." When you point to something and call it a name you got three fingers pointing right back at you bro. It's not a good look. Unsexy. All I'm saying is that being accepting of others beliefs is cool, as long as doing so doesn't hurt you. It'll help you be a happier person, too. Admittedly the ant-vaccine thing is harmful, and the flat-earth thing is annoying AF, but I'm sure you have some beliefs or personally-held feelings and opinions that other people probably question. I tell you what, man - one thing we can all agree on is that there's infinitely more that we don't know about in this universe. Having an open mind about everything that's truly unknown will help you out a lot.

I wouldn't want to be the man saying that stuff that he can't actually prove "wrong" is "dumb." When you point to something and call it a name you got three fingers pointing right back at you bro. It's not a good look. Unsexy. All I'm saying is that being accepting of others beliefs is cool, as long as doing so doesn't hurt you. It'll help you be a happier person, too. Admittedly the ant-vaccine thing is harmful, and the flat-earth thing is annoying AF, but I'm sure you have some beliefs or personally-held feelings and opinions that other people probably question. I tell you what, man - one thing we can all agree on is that there's infinitely more that we don't know about in this universe. Having an open mind about everything that's truly unknown will help you out a lot.
Are you implying it cannot be proven the earth is round?

People who believe in pychics, tarot reading, palm reading, etc.

Flat-earthers

Young earthers

Chem trails

Anti-vaxxers

Having 'X' amount of people believing in a flat earth does hurt me.  It hurts you.  It hurts everyone.  Allowing people to believe in and propagate such nonsense is harmful to society as a whole.  I am very accepting of most religions, different views of politics, etc.  That is good for debate and allows us to grow as a society.  Believing in and spreading nonsense about a flat earth dumbs us down.  

1. Flat-earthers (disproved thousands of years ago)

2. Chem trails (zero science behind this)

3. Anti-vaxxers (some people have died from vaccines, just as some people have been killed from seatbelts. I'm willing to respect someone's right to personally place bets on the wrong odds, just as long as they don't expose themselves to me.)

4. Young earthers (If we're going to believe in God, then we may as well also believe that God could have faked the fossil layers and planted the dinosaur bones)

5. People who believe in pychics, tarot reading, palm reading, etc. (I don't believe in this stuff but I've got an open mind and I'm willing to be proven wrong.)

Hard to separate because they're all really dumb but I think I'd put flat earthers at the top.

On the flipside I think most flat earthers don't actually believe the earth is flat but rather are just vain people that want attention.  I'm sure there are plenty that actually believe it but I think most are more like Kyrie "flat earthers" where they just want people to talk about them.

A lot of the "flat earth" stuff is shtick, IMO. The only people I've seen that seem to really believe it have A LOT of issues going on. The rest all have a number of average, everyday believers in their midst, IMO. 

Dumbest:

• Flat-earthers
  • Anti-vaxxers
  • Chem trails

Most Harmful:

• Anti-vaxxers

• Chem trails
  • Flat-earthers

Dumbest:

• Flat-earthers
  • Anti-vaxxers
  • Chem trails

Most Harmful:

• Anti-vaxxers

• Chem trails
  • Flat-earthers
Mostly agree with your most harmful list although I think it’s worth pointing out that there’s some decent crossover between Young Earthers and those who think Climate Change isn’t real or we shouldn’t worry about it.  That may be the most harmful of all. 

In no particular order:

• Anti-vaxxers
  • Flat-earthers
  • Chem trails
Really, no order. 

The way I see it, people on this earth believe what they want to believe. We each have our own lives to live. What may be dumb to you may be perfectly logical to me. Or vice versa. We all have our idiosyncrasies, and when I was younger I would denigrate people and think lower of them if their beliefs didn't align with mine. And thankfully I've learned from that.

As I've gotten older, my goal is to raise a better me in my children. My hope is that I can raise a kinder person than I ever was. So these days, believe what you want. Love who you want. Eat what you want. Drink what you want. Wear want you want.

Peace and love, brother.

Stupidity has a way of affecting others though.  Anti vaxxing is obvious.  Psychics cost money and if you have a spouse, family member or close friend throwing away their money at this crap, it can affect you.  Young earther is based on religion which is ultimately a hindrance to science and potentially dangerous to miseducate our youth with those nonsensical ideas.  Flat earther too.  It's incorrect science and should not be praised or enabled by a "live and let live" mindset.  

Really, no order. 

The way I see it, people on this earth believe what they want to believe. We each have our own lives to live. What may be dumb to you may be perfectly logical to me. Or vice versa. We all have our idiosyncrasies, and when I was younger I would denigrate people and think lower of them if their beliefs didn't align with mine. And thankfully I've learned from that.
I definitely get the not wanting to denigrate others and trying to allow people to believe what they want to believe but then line is drawn when those beliefs are harmful to others.  Anti-vax is the best example of this.  People like Andrew Wakefield, Jenny McCarthy, and RFK Jr. have all been responsible for the deaths of children.  I'm not going to feel bad for denigrating those pieces of ####.

4. Young earthers (If we're going to believe in God, then we may as well also believe that God could have faked the fossil layers and planted the dinosaur bones)
Fairly ingenious defense that could be used for anything not defined by the bible.  

These folks believe the earth is only 6,000 years old.  The dinosaurs never happened(they say God placed the fossils in the earth to test his followers faith).
That's not how God works. He has better things to do than punk the uneducated.

But I bet he could be a real Jerky Boy if he wanted to.
That's the thing, He doesn't want to. Building relationships with people is based on trust, why would anyone, much less the Almighty, start that off with a lie about fake giant lizard bones? Does nobody use logic anymore?

I love how some jump so quickly to bash religion in here. I'll be moving on. I'm not a flat or young earther but I'm definitely religious. Based on some in here, I might as well be on that list above. Nice...

I love how some jump so quickly to bash religion in here. I'll be moving on. I'm not a flat or young earther but I'm definitely religious. Based on some in here, I might as well be on that list above. Nice...
There's a huge difference in believing in a God and believing in a flat earth or young earth.  I don't mean to suggest that simply believing in God is stupid.   I don't consider it as such.  But I also don't think people should get a free pass to chuck legit science in the trash just because it's a religious belief.

I'm not dumb. I follow them all in this order:

Chem trails

Santa Clause - one of the leading causes of Chem trails.

Easter Bunny

Flat-earthers

Anti-vaxxers

Tooth Fairy - I wouldn't have lost my teeth if it wasn't for anti-vaxxing. 

People who believe in pychics, tarot reading, palm reading, etc. - My psychic predicted this thread will probably get locked soon. 

Young earthers(a bit of a stretch, as this technically is religious based.  I'm going to allow it, as 99% of religious folks think these people are idiots)

3. Anti-vaxxers (some people have died from vaccines, just as some people have been killed from seatbelts. I'm willing to respect someone's right to personally place bets on the wrong odds, just as long as they don't expose themselves to me.)
whether you come in direct contact with one or not you may never know. and they are exposing people elsewhere, who are then unknowingly spreading germs/virii to others in a ripple effect.

it's dangerous and these people should be mind-wiped

I saw a report that they've developed a vaccine for autism.  Of course, what the government isn't telling you is that it tends to cause measles.  So, F that.  

whether you come in direct contact with one or not you may never know. and they are exposing people elsewhere, who are then unknowingly spreading germs/virii to others in a ripple effect.

it's dangerous and these people should be mind-wiped
That's typically hubristic and paternalistic. They had massive problems with the first small pox vaccines, and the S. Ct. had to decide 5-4 whether or not to allow forced innoculations. It's almost compulsory care and goes to the core of autonomy of body vs. the state's control of it.

Whither this kind of attitude toward that?

You guys sound like the eugenicists in the twenties.

Anyone who can't figure out the anti-vaxxers political grievance against forced innoculations is too stupid for me to debate with. 

I can understand their political grievance, to an extent. But not their medical one(s).
I think they're often inextricably linked, so while I am a vaxxer and want to concede your point, I can also see how vaccination machination concerns happen. It was not too far-fetched to think that the autism vaccinations had been sacrificed to the hands of profit rather than public good, or if it was not far-fetched, at was at least tepidly plausible.

I can see -- and not from my end who believes and thinks differently than the anti-vaxxers -- even the medical concerns. I don't think it makes the anti-vaxxer "dumb." Probably rural, probably religious, but I doubt it's linked to IQ. The highfalutin moms of Hollywood Hills are examples of that. 

I think they're often inextricably linked, so while I am a vaxxer and want to concede your point, I can also see how vaccination machination concerns happen. It was not too far-fetched to think that the autism vaccinations had been sacrificed to the hands of profit rather than public good, or if it was not far-fetched, at was at least tepidly plausible.

I can see -- and not from my end who believes and thinks differently than the anti-vaxxers -- even the medical concerns. I don't think it makes the anti-vaxxer "dumb." Probably rural, probably religious, but I doubt it's linked to IQ. The highfalutin moms of Hollywood Hills are examples of that. 
The autism stuff might have started with a modicum of plausibility, but that went out the window when the “data” was exposed as fraudulent. The problem is, once you disseminate misinformation, it’s hard to undo the effects on a group of people inherently distrustful of science and government.

And I wouldn’t call them dumb. Ignorant maybe, and absolutely harmful.

The autism stuff might have started with a modicum of plausibility, but that went out the window when the “data” was exposed as fraudulent. The problem is, once you disseminate misinformation, it’s hard to undo the effects on a group of people inherently distrustful of science and government.

And I wouldn’t call them dumb. Ignorant maybe, and absolutely harmful.
Once The Lancet (?) retracted its findings, it should have been over. I agree with both of the bolded points you make.

Really, no order. 

As I've gotten older, my goal is to raise a better me in my children. My hope is that I can raise a kinder person than I ever was. So these days, believe what you want. Love who you want. Eat what you want. Drink what you want. Wear want you want.

Peace and love, brother.
Freaking hippie :rolleyes:

Anti-vaxxers, as I take the term to mean, is a little different than the legitimate concerns over some vaccines.  It’s rare but I can give an example in my wife - she’s not allowed to get the flu vaccine as she had Guillain-Barré as a child.  Completely agree that anti-vaxxers are a huge concern.

Hard to separate because they're all really dumb but I think I'd put flat earthers at the top.

On the flipside I think most flat earthers don't actually believe the earth is flat but rather are just vain people that want attention.  I'm sure there are plenty that actually believe it but I think most are more like Kyrie "flat earthers" where they just want people to talk about them.
agree with this 

In no particular order:

• Anti-vaxxers
  • Flat-earthers
  • Chem trails
disagree with this.  this is more prevalent than you think.

To me it seems most natural to rank them in terms of their ability to be disproven, so in order from most dumb to least:

1. Flat earthers. This is easily disproven and I doubt there are many people who actually believe it. 

2. Young earthers.  Not quite as easily disproven and not the kind of thing you can just go outside and check, but the age of the earth (in terms of magnitude) is well-established science.

3. Anti-vaxxers.  Feel bad for these folks as they most likely mean well but are doing harm by ignoring medical science.

4. Psychics, etc.  Personally believe this is really dumb and there’s no evidence that it works but like many things, it’s basically impossible to prove that something doesn’t exist.  I can actively disprove the first three beliefs in ways that I can’t for this one. 

5. Chem trails.  Again, personally don’t believe in any conspiracy theories but would not at all be surprised if some of them are true.  I’d actually be surprised if none of them were true, honestly.  Could this be one that's real?  :shrug: Seems plausible that governments might be running some super-secret science experiments on people because we know they’ve done it in the past.  

To me it seems most natural to rank them in terms of their ability to be disproven, so in order from most dumb to least:

1. Flat earthers. This is easily disproven and I doubt there are many people who actually believe it. 

2. Young earthers.  Not quite as easily disproven and not the kind of thing you can just go outside and check, but the age of the earth (in terms of magnitude) is well-established science.

3. Anti-vaxxers.  Feel bad for these folks as they most likely mean well but are doing harm by ignoring medical science.

4. Psychics, etc.  Personally believe this is really dumb and there’s no evidence that it works but like many things, it’s basically impossible to prove that something doesn’t exist.  I can actively disprove the first three beliefs in ways that I can’t for this one. 

5. Chem trails.  Again, personally don’t believe in any conspiracy theories but would not at all be surprised if some of them are true.  I’d actually be surprised if none of them were true, honestly.  Could this be one that's real?  :shrug: Seems plausible that governments might be running some super-secret science experiments on people because we know they’ve done it in the past.  
:goodposting: , while also containing a temperament not only suited for scientific rigor but for moral thoughts as well. Utility-wise, it's also easier to convince others when you're not calling them "dumb" or "stupid," but talking about disproven and wrongly-held beliefs about scientifically valid stuff. 

I was thinking globally.

I live about 8 miles from Bob Jones University So I personally know people that hold this belief. It is frightening.
it might be even more common with Islam.  i'm not sure there's reliable polling. 

in US, i've seen it vary from 5% to 40%, depending on how you ask the question, and whether the question also includes evolution.

Users who are viewing this thread